PDA

View Full Version : Which Secondary Villain is the Best?

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Obviously, the main villains of Star Wars have been the evil Emperor Palpatine and his dark apprentice, Darth Vader -- Palpatine's scheming, 2-faced ways have been at the heart of the saga, and Darth Vader is one of the most menacing villains the screen has ever known. But beyond these 2 Sith Lords lies a group of secondary villains that have in some cases rocked the Star Wars galaxy to its very core and made life quite difficult for our heroes (on rare occasions even literally impossible), both in the movies and the Expanded Universe.

But which one of these dastardly wrongdoers is the best after Vader & Palpatine? What makes him the nastiest of Star Wars nasties, is it the attitude, the fighting abilities, the cool gear, the strategizing, the red lightsaber? This week's poll is all about which secondary Star Wars villain is your favorite and why, there are 10 options ranging from the prequels to the EU, from Sith to Hutt, so vote now and voice your opinion.

thanks to Tycho for the idea.

mark2d2
08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Tarkin. Obviously, Tarkin.

Not only was he the only one who possessed the capability to blow up planets -- but only he could be so cold about it.

"You're far too trusting. . ."

The gleefully evil heights of Tarkin have never again been reached in the saga.

sloftus
08-02-2004, 07:48 PM
I voted for Jabba the Hutt with the original Jedi Jabba in mind.

I would have said Boba Fett, but Boba was Jabba's *****. Plus Jabba always had those cool aliens hanging around who just wanted to party and go for rides in his floating palace and watch his multiple breasted strippers entertain them.

Ji'dai
08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Gotta go with the Hutts on this one. Jabba's got all the attributes of a good villian: ruthless, power-hungry, greedy, physically repulsive, and weird sexual appetites - human females and twilek chicks?! Twisted :D

Besides the Empire, criminal syndicates are the number #1 employers of the best scum the galaxy has to offer. So after the Hutts would be Prince Xizor's Black Sun, and then of course that Soprano crew operating in the Outer Rim of North Jersey ;)

Kidhuman
08-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Ivoted for Tgarkin. He wags flagt out ga cold ruthless killer.

Darth Maul wgas cool also. Didnt say much, but he didn't have to.

Jango gand Boba...I love Boba always have since I was young, but to me , Jango killed the mystical background he always held

Jabba - great villian, didnt match Tarkin though.

Nute - too much of a wimp

Thrawn - Had he been in a movie, he would of gotten my vote.

Dooku - awesome character, liked him alot, third after Jabba and Tarkin

LusiferSam
08-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I've got to go with Boba Fett here. The armor, the raspy voice that says very little, and the fact the Vader points to him and says "No disintegrations" makes Boba Fett the coolest. And another big plus in my book is the vintage figure rocks.
Jabba the Hutt would be a very second. He's great because he's the Al Capon of SW, Boba Fett works for him, and Jabba is giant slug with a girl in a steel bikini chain to him. How cool is that.
But truth be told I like all these guys but Exar Kun. The comic started off pretty cool but went down hill pretty fast.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-02-2004, 11:02 PM
For me it was a toss up between Jango and Boba Fett. Both are tops in my book cause of the cool kick-A armor. Plus they take crap from nobody (sorry sloftus, Boba is noone's biatch--Jabba was paying him good $ for his services). I went with Jango cause at least he died on his feet and wasn't accidentally whacked by Mace Windu like how Boba got smacked by Han.

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 11:07 PM
As much as I prefer the OT, the prequels have had some really great villains. For me, it's gotta be Count Dooku. He's like Count Dracula, Saruman and Slugworth (ooh) all rolled into one. ;)

B_C
08-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Well it was boba for me...just because of the cool costume and the mystery of the original vision of the character. And if you vote Boba...you are also voting for Jango on a technicality...what with boba's voice being changed in the dvd versions.:D

OC47150
08-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Without a doubt, Tarkin.

Knightfall
08-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Boba Fett. There is no other choice for me. I've always loved Boba Fett, but the Boba I love is the former Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel from the planet Concord Dawn, not a clone of some loser who got his head chopped off by the guy from Pulp Fiction. Gotta keep that original continuity alive.

Slicker
08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Tarkin fo' shizzle.

Rocketboy
08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
I guess I'd say Jabba. He was just an A-hole.

I didn't even consider the Fetts. The only sides they took were the ones that paid the highest. In the movies they are fighting the good guys, but it doesn't make them villians, IMO.

jedi master sal
08-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Here's my list in order from 3rd (after Vader and Palpy) on down to 12th. and why.

Grand Moff Tarkin: Cold ruthless efficeincy. He had a presence. Peter Cushing could really play those kinds of character well. Tarkin OOZED authority. He's also the only other person, besides the Emperor to put Vader in his place-in the movies. That's POWER!
Grand Admiral Thrawn: Able to keep the Empire together. Has cunning and deductive reason (based on a cultures artwork) down to a science.
Jabba the Hutt: Lives on the same dustbowl hardened planet for years. Able to thwart several attempts on his life and has that pseudo gangster presence.
Count Dooku: Though ultimately a pawn of Sidious, one of only 20 to leave the Jedi order. The ability to amass a huge seperatist faction also keeps him near the top. Though his better force wielding days are over with.
Darth Maul: Awesome acrobatics. Deadly. unquetionable devotion to the Sith Order. To bad he went out like a sucker.
Boba Fett: Oka, so I didn't vote for him first. I knew people would jump on the bandwagon with him. If you dont' take EU into account, than other than capturing Han, he really did nothing. Also went out like a sucker from a misguided weapon strike from Han.
Jango Fett: True we got to see where Boba got his skill from, but once again a one movie wonder. Jango should have been able to take out more than Coleman Trebor. At least ILM could have had him get a shot through on Mace. This would have justified the senseless beheading that infliced upon the hapless bounty hunter. (Though the video game is awesome, IMHO)
Exar Kun: I don't know much about this guy, but what I do is enough to keep him ahead of the next two losers.
Prince Xizor: What an idiot. didn't he have the brains to knw not to crss a Sith? Didn't he think the Emperor was playing him the whole time. Vader got his revenge on him eventually. Again another who went out like a sucker.
Nute Gunray: What, this lame brain made the list?
Cowardly and spineless come to mind when I hear this guys name mentioned.
He's hardly a villian. More like a greedy accountant. (which we know at times can be villianous-heh heh)

-Sal

El Chuxter
08-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Boba Fett. There is no other choice for me. I've always loved Boba Fett, but the Boba I love is the former Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel from the planet Concord Dawn, not a clone of some loser who got his head chopped off by the guy from Pulp Fiction. Gotta keep that original continuity alive.

Actually, if you want to keep the original original continuity, he was a Stormtrooper who killed his superior officer when he was given an order he felt was unethical. Dark Empire II pre-dates the "Tales From" books by a couple of years. :D

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Grand Moff Tarkin: Cold ruthless efficeincy. He had a presence. Peter Cushing could really play those kinds of character well. Tarkin OOZED authority. He's also the only other person, besides the Emperor to put Vader in his place-in the movies. That's POWER!

It was for these reasons that I chose Tarkin also. Vader actually answered to him in ANH (or at least seemed to).

Lowest on my list would be Exar Kun, since I have no idea who he is, and Grand Admiral Thrawn, who seemed way too all-knowing to me to be a credible villian.

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm really surprised by how diverse this list is, lots of votes all over the map, very cool.

There seem to be an awful lot of votes for Exar Kun today considering there is nobody posting that voted for him. Clearly every villain has gotten some votes, but considering that Nute Gunray, Jango Fett, and Prince Xizor are all currently at the bottom with no more than 7 votes each right now while Exar Kun enjoys 93, that's odd. Come on Exar Kun fans, where are your posts? Explain why your guy is the mack daddy of baddies.

Hellboy
08-03-2004, 06:56 PM
I voted for Darth Maul.

I can understand why many people got tired of seeing him considering he was the poster boy for TPM but he's the one villain I wanted to see get more screen time.

He's easily the most agile Sith warrior we've ever seen and a huge part, in what I feel, is the best choreographed Lightsaber duel in all 5 of the films. He also had a really unique look, which isn't easy in a universe as diverse as the one seen in SW. His double-bladed-lightsaber was a welcome variation on the classic Jedi/Sith weapon of choice and though his run was short he was the high point of TPM, for me at least. :cool:

Kidhuman
08-03-2004, 08:35 PM
JT who did you vote for?

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Oops, I thought I said already. I voted for Tarkin, he bossed Vader around and got away with it, he ordered Leia to be tortured, ordered the destruction of an entire planet without batting an eye, and made the planet's senator and princess watch the destruction. All this and he doesn't even have special powers or cool armor or any other trappings that the other guys have, he's just a fantastic villain.

plasticfetish
08-04-2004, 05:25 AM
He's easily the most agile Sith warrior we've ever seen and a huge part, in what I feel, is the best choreographed Lightsaber duel in all 5 of the films. He also had a really unique look, which isn't easy in a universe as diverse as the one seen in SW. His double-bladed-lightsaber was a welcome variation on the classic Jedi/Sith weapon of choice and though his run was short he was the high point of TPM, for me at least. :cool:I agree, and if they decided to just edit the movie down to those scenes with him and Qui-Gon, I wouldn't argue. :D

scruffziller
08-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Wow for alot of those who voted For Exar Kun not much has been commented on him.(so far he is 5th place). I voted for him based on because of who he is/was rather than who I might like initially. If you know the EU story of Kun, you would know that Palpy couldn't hold a candle to him. He was an insane, bloodthirsty madman that made the darkside that we know look like a blinding strobelight. He made Palpy look like a sweet little old church lady. If you are really into the Sith and are fascinated about how evil they were in their heyday, you should really try to get ahold of some of the KOTOR graphic novels, comics etc. Here is some info.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Before Vader, before Maul, before Sidious... there was a Dark Lord of the Sith that cast a shadow of terror and destruction across the galaxy. The ancient forces of the Republic and the Jedi banded together to stop the torrent of the dark side, and bring an end to Exar Kun's rule.

He began as a simple student, studying under the revered Jedi Master Vodo-Siosk Baas. Like the dark apprentices that would follow throughout history, a basic impatience undermined all of Kun's training. His pride did not have the boundaries that his instruction did. Eager to ascend beyond his Jedi abilities, Kun abandoned his master and journeyed to the strife-torn world of Onderon. There, he encountered the spirit of Freedon Nadd, an ancient Sith who gave him further instruction.

Through Nadd's disembodied commands, Kun voyaged to the Sith mausoleum world of Korriban. There, ancient Sith spirits tried Kun's resolve. His body was crushed in a cave-in of tons of rocks, and Kun could not call upon the Force to help himself. Yet, the dark side offered what the Force couldn't. By giving into his fear and rage, Kun was able to heal himself and clear the obstacles. He emerged from the caverns transformed, fueled by the dark side of the Force.

Following examples of ancient Sith Lords that preceded him, Kun came to the long forgotten Sith temples of Yavin 4. In Sith tradition, he took on an apprentice, the fallen Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma, and the two unleashed a scourge that would forever scar a galaxy. In the ages before Darth Bane's restrictions, Kun and Qel-Droma were able to recruit more Jedi into their ranks. Many young Jedi turned against their masters and slew them. Kun himself extinguished the life of Master Baas Baas in the halls of Coruscant's Senate chambers. It was a dark time indeed.

Kun was fixated in unleashing pure, unbridled power through ancient Sith means. He practiced Sith magic and alchemy, crafting horrific creatures on the moon of Yavin 4. He brandished a Sith lightsaber with twin blades that increased the potent weapon's lethality. His followers triggered ancient technologies that detonated the stars of the Cron Cluster, wiping out entire worlds and searing the surface of Ossus.

Finally, a joint Republic and Jedi taskforce came to Yavin 4 to capture Exar Kun. He knew he could not survive the attack, so he summoned his dark side energies and trapped his consciousness into the temples his Massassi warriors had built for him. For four millennia, Kun's disembodied spirit slumbered. The presence of a dozen Force-sensitives stirred his consciousness. It was now several years after the Battle of Endor, and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker had begun training Jedi at an academy on Yavin 4. Exar Kun's spirit sought to corrupt Skywalker's students and bring about a dark side reign again. He controlled Luke's most powerful student, Kyp Durron, but in the end, Luke's students united and were able to finally dispel Kun's spirit.

It's fitting that a villain such as Exar Kun, who spans millennia of the Star Wars timeline, also spans several media of licensed products. In 1994, he was first introduced as a shadowy spirit lurking in the temples of Luke's new training grounds, as explained in Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. This introduction provided a few background details up for Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith, an epic comic series by Anderson and Tom Veitch set in the ancient times of the Sith and Jedi. By the end of the follow-up comic series, The Great Sith War, Kun was imprisoned in the Massassi temples, ready to live again in the novel series set thousands of years later. It should also be noted that Kun was the first to weild a double-bladed lightsaber, beating Darth Maul to the punch by several years.

JediTricks
08-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Cool post Scruff! Someone finally stepped up and explained that vote. Strangely though, Kun has only gotten 1 vote since yesterday, while Nute Gunray has received 33. I guess the fandom ebbs and flows around here about which villain is greatest.

By the way, how wild is it that Dooku is currently the leading villain followed by Tarkin? Remember when Hasbro was telling us that old men weren't popular villains?

El Chuxter
08-04-2004, 02:11 PM
I voted Dooku. He has a sort of class you don't see among villains, and is an intriguing character. I hope we learn more about him before he inevitably dies in ROTS so Anakin can become Sidious' 3rd (???) apprentice. He seems to have quite a bit of potential.

Tarkin would be a pretty close second after Dooku for me, I think. His only motivation is political power, through any means necessary, and he's willing to step on anyone in his quest for it. Jabba's the underworld counterpart to Tarkin, slimy where Tarkin is polished.

Thrawn is awesome, but less a villain than an honorable guy on the opposing army.

Jango Fett, since we know more about him, is more interesting than Boba, who, like Maul, is less a character than a licensing gimmick. Like Dooku (but to a lesser extent, it seems), his motivations are complex. Boba just wants cash, and Maul just wants revenge.

Nute Gunray is a spineless jellyfish, more a pawn than a villain in his own right. I expect Palpatine and/or Anakin to extract some pretty nasty revenge on him in ROTS. He's one that you love to hate and watch to see how low he'll sink next.

Xizor is completely without any redeeming qualities to me. He is ridiculously one-dimensional and was poorly characterized in SOTE. I cheered when he and Dash Rendar died within a few paragraphs of one another. They both sucked.

Exar Kun is, well, he's okay, but to be honest I've never had a tremendous amount of interest in the "ancient history" of the galaxy. The only story I can recall enjoying that took place prior to TPM would be "Rebellion," which leads directly into TPM.

scruffziller
08-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Cool post Scruff! Someone finally stepped up and explained that vote. Strangely though, Kun has only gotten 1 vote since yesterday, while Nute Gunray has received 33. I guess the fandom ebbs and flows around here about which villain is greatest.

By the way, how wild is it that Dooku is currently the leading villain followed by Tarkin? Remember when Hasbro was telling us that old men weren't popular villains?
Thanx JT. :)

It is too bad that alot of SW fans don't get into EU. It may be percieved as being one dimensional because it doesn't have the luxury of being realized through film. But if folks would step back and see all the story material that is out there that tells the tale of this universe and how it ended up at "the movies," they would be suprised at what they will find.

TheDarthVader
08-04-2004, 06:18 PM
I agree with Hellboy. I voted for Darth Maul. He is the coolest in battle IMO. Tarkin and Dooku are close for 2nd place but Maul is just a bad ***.

B.
TDV

The 'Xir
08-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Jango Fett, since we know more about him, is more interesting than Boba, who, like Maul, is less a character than a licensing gimmick. Like Dooku (but to a lesser extent, it seems), his motivations are complex. Boba just wants cash, and Maul just wants revenge.

EC? You suprise me!! As a veteran around here you should well know that Boba Fett was just a really cool mysterious character way before he ever became a "licensing gimmick" as you put it. I know he was offered as special offer figure you could send in for before the release of "Empire", but alot of the bounty hunters were offered as promotion figures including IG-88 and Bossk that I'm positive of!

I remember somewhere back in my college days('90-'95) was the first time that I started to get a sense of what a huge cult following Fett actually had! This also had to be about the same time Lucas & Co got the same type of sense, 'because when they restarted selling liscencees to fund the special edition releases in '97, Fett did become a huge focus of products and figures!

These people voting for Dooku, I just don't get. I mean really, he's a boring character, a pawn of Palpatine, and if people are voting on that you like what Christopher Lee has done on other films also, just makes no sense in terms of this poll!

Also, someone said something about Boba Fett's voice being changed(and I'm assuming theres a ton of other changes) in the new OT dvd release? If thats true, I swear to god I will disband my Star Wars fandom forever and never buy another single product from any of Lucas or his lisencees again! To adjust the OT(esp after the special editions) so dramatically is the biggest betrayal not only to his fan base but to his art as well!

Slicker
08-04-2004, 09:24 PM
It was for these reasons that I chose Tarkin also. Vader actually answered to him in ANH (or at least seemed to).
I think that's why I voted for Tarkin. He seemed like the #2 man under the Emperor and Vader didn't seem to have all that much power in my eyes.

Kidhuman
08-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Also, someone said something about Boba Fett's voice being changed(and I'm assuming theres a ton of other changes) in the new OT dvd release? If thats true, I swear to god I will disband my Star Wars fandom forever and never buy another single product from any of Lucas or his lisencees again! To adjust the OT(esp after the special editions) so dramatically is the biggest betrayal not only to his fan base but to his art as well!

That is the very reason I went and bought the OT on DVD in its original form. I could not stand all these changes being done to it.

jjreason
08-05-2004, 01:04 PM
My vote was for Jabba. He's the total package: repulsive, calculating, vengeful (to a fault) and most importantly - hilarious. One of my prequel highlights is STILL Jabba flicking that little chick off the railing during the podrace out of boredom, utterly priceless. Tarkin was colder and Maul kicked way more *** but I loves me Jabba.

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Xir, I'm afraid it looks very much like the rumors of Temura redubbing Boba's lines in the OT DVD set are true. I too find it crass.

Seems like Dooku is taking more of a lead now, everybody except Xizor seems to have gotten a lot more votes but Dooku is the one who is well out in front. Like Kun before, there haven't been all that many posts about Dooku being the man in respect to how many votes he's gotten.

Hellboy
08-05-2004, 05:33 PM
I just can't believe that toad Nute Gunray only has 1 less vote than Darth Maul. :sur:

I would never have predicted Dooku to place very high in this poll let alone end up as the winner but he does seem to be running away with it at the moment.

The 'Xir
08-05-2004, 05:43 PM
That is the very reason I went and bought the OT on DVD in its original form. I could not stand all these changes being done to it.

Hey KH? I thought this was the first release of the OT on DVD?!! What we've been waiting for, for forever! What DVD purchase are you talking about? Was the original OT released within this past month and somehow I missed it, and then this wacky stupid version is comming out soon?
:confused:

El Chuxter
08-05-2004, 05:52 PM
JT, I assume that more folks are voting for Dooku because my explanation earlier persuaded them.

Come on, who else has that sort of class, baby?

Hellboy
08-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey KH? I thought this was the first release of the OT on DVD?!! What we've been waiting for, for forever! What DVD purchase are you talking about? Was the original OT released within this past month and somehow I missed it, and then this wacky stupid version is comming out soon?
:confused:

I'm assuming KH is refering to the bootleg DVD copies of The Definitive Collection that was released on Laserdisc years ago.

Kyle Katarn
08-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I voted for Boba Fett and my second would be Darth Maul. Although they don¿t appear too much in the movies they are great and that's what makes you want more of em.

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 09:12 PM
JT, I assume that more folks are voting for Dooku because my explanation earlier persuaded them.

Come on, who else has that sort of class, baby?
Yeah, but it's all really just from his vast personal fortune, he's probably like Paris Hilton, everybody treats her like she's classy because she's a billionairess but without the money she's just a cheap floozy... just like Dooku. :D

As for Maul, I wish he had more lines, even the ones that got cut that were in the script would have been nice.

scruffziller
08-06-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm assuming KH is refering to the bootleg DVD copies of The Definitive Collection that was released on Laserdisc years ago.
Yea, but it is too bad that since GL won't produce them I would have liked to seen them remastered. The bootleg versions from the LD are really good considering they were able to fit them(including ROTJ) on one single layer 4.7 GB DVD recordable. If you look reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal close on your TV you can see pixelization but it is so vaugue that these bootleg productions are nothing short of a miracle.:cool:

El Chuxter
08-06-2004, 12:28 PM
So in essence, JediTricks, what you're asking is "What is the appeal of Count Dooku (seriously)"? :D:D:D:D

Kidhuman
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Yes, I bought the bootleg versions on Ebay about a month and 1/2 ago. 25 bucks to see Han shoot first and hear Lapti Nek and Yub Nub is well worth it.

JediTricks
08-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Chux, that was a good reference! :D

I actually think Dooku is pretty cool, but I don't know about a top-dog villain, especially out of this list. Heck, the only guy who hasn't gotten more votes is poor Xizor, and look how much trouble he caused our heroes in SOTE!!!

scruffziller
08-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Man my boy KUN really fell behind bad.:(

But beyond these 2 Sith Lords lies a group of secondary villains that have in some cases rocked the Star Wars galaxy to its very core and made life quite difficult for our heroes (on rare occasions even literally impossible), both in the movies and the Expanded Universe.

And in the light of that JT, nothing could describe Kun better to the tee.
And in all fair context, Kun is really not a secondary villian(when he was alive).
Only percieved as such since he was a spirit in Luke's time. In fact, in light of what I said earlier, he would make shadow Palpy to a secondary, HEE HEE!!!!!:D

JediTricks
08-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Interesting point Scruff, though I only meant secondary more as "in the public eye" than anything else, otherwise I suppose those new baddies in the recent EU (Yuhzong Vong or something? I dunno, I didn't keep track) would get some billing.

You guys think I should do a run-off poll tomorrow between the top 5? Or should we just accept these results as-is?

plasticfetish
08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Nah, leave it as is. I would like to see this one again after ep. 3 has come out.

Kidhuman
08-08-2004, 07:51 PM
In agreement with PF I am