PDA

View Full Version : Two Teens Barbecue Puppy in Tennessee.

JEDIpartner
08-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Two young boys, aged 11 and 14, are now accused of a gruesome crime...taking a stray puppy off the street and burning it to death in a barbecue grill behind an abandoned building.

"First they lit up the grill, then they put the dog in it. The dog jumped out of the grill and he was on fire," said witness Dregis Freeman.

10-year-old Freeman saw the whole thing. Upset at what happened, the young witness ran to a neighbor's house for help. But by the time police arrived, the burned puppy was dead.

Freeman said, "It was sad. Sad."

Springfield Police Officer Chuck Bilyeu answered the call, and was sickened by the gruesome sight.

"[The puppy] was probably 8-10 weeks old...he was charred really bad. Who knows why they did it, and why would a child have that kind of anger or meanness to do something like that?" said Officer Bilyeu.

Police say that after lighting the grill, one of the boys lifted the lid and the puppy jumped out. He only made it a few feet before he died.

Springfield Police Lt. William Watkins said, "I think it's a shame . They had nothing better to do than to torture a dog."

Police have charged the two boys with aggravated animal cruelty. But the burned puppy isn't the only dog those boys allegedly tortured. According to investigators, the kids broke into the city's animal shelter several days earlier and stole a Shar-pei puppy. Police found it badly bleeding after being cut in the left front leg.

"None of the boys I talked to ever admitted they did it, even though they'd been seen earlier that day with the puppies," said Officer Bilyeu.

The Shar-pei is recovering in the care of a rescue group. Officers say more charges could be pending.

Officer Bilyeu said, "That's something that shocks you when you see it. And then you find out kids did it, and it just really shocks you."

A new law just passed by state legislators in May has made aggravated animal abuse a felony in Tennessee. Police told News 2 that more charges are pending against the two teens, and possibly several others.

Dave_Cameron
08-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Sick & sad. It makes me worry about the parents of these kids.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Maybe they were hungry? :confused: :p
No, seriously, that was pretty sick.

jjreason
08-04-2004, 11:47 AM
It is pretty appalling. The tough thing here will be trying to assess these guys psychologically (to see whether or not this could turn into a pattern of behavior and possibly escalate beyond animals), and making sure they're getting whatever kind of help they need to try and get back on track. Very tough to say what leads to these things, but groups of teenagers (even groups of two) often motivate each other to get into more and worse trouble than they would normally on their own. I can't remember ever hearing or reading anywhere that the teenaged brain was firing on all cylinders all the time - it's a tough go for every kid.

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Stuff like this is why I don't believe that all people "are basically good, and must be taught to be bad."

I believe it is just the opposite, all people are basically evil and must be taught to be good. We are now seeing the consequences of not instilling morality into children early on.

So it doesn't suprise me that kids today have no concepts of mercy or remorse.

TheDarthVader
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
I believe that there is good in everyone. Life comes down to CHOICES and these boys made some really horrible choices. They will now have to live with those bad choices. If they had done good, they would easily live with their "good" choices. There would be no punishment for doing good. But no, these boys took the dark road. And now they will have to decide if they want to continue down it, or go another route. This sickens me. :(

B.
TDV

Rocketboy
08-04-2004, 05:04 PM
That article really angered me to no end. I'm seething right now.
Forget the fact that they are teens - toss those little bastards in prison!

Dr Zoltar
08-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Whenever I hear something like this my gut reaction is that the perps should have done to them what they did to the animal. It's not right by any means, but a lot less of these animal cruelty situations would occur if the person involved thought the same thing might come of them. People who abuse animals are high on my list of people that disgust me -- and I do not discriminate based on age.

Those kids are lucky I didn't catch them. It would have been difficult to hide my anger at their actions. More than likely I would have yelled at them until the police arrived. I hope they are treated as adults in court.

Kidhuman
08-04-2004, 11:28 PM
What bastards. Anyone who would do that to an animal should have the same done to them.

JEDIpartner
08-05-2004, 09:31 AM
This upset me even more because I read this article moments after our FedEX lady brought pictures of her new Boxer puppy in for me to see. I just couldn't separate the image of that adorable little puppy and the heinous acts of these two delinquents. I teared up a little. :(

arctangent
08-05-2004, 09:48 AM
what kind of parent brings a child up not to know that barbequing a puppy is a bad thing to do?

but if they did know it was wrong and chose to do it anyway then they either have some big psychological problems or are just basically little gits.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
In all likelyhood, one of them was the ringleader and talked the other into doing it. The ringleader is the one that we, as a society have to worry about. He'll definitely need to be watched as he could likely end up doing this kind of thing to humans as he gets older...his wife, kids, more likely acquaintaces and strangers.
The other one, although guilty as well, will probably learn from his punishments and not do anything like this again. But he'll need some good, hard counseling along that route too.

I hope they have to spend some time in prison. Nice new law they have their too, more states need to adopt something like that.

El Chuxter
08-05-2004, 10:34 AM
This is so incredibly disgusting that, well, I don't even know how to respond. You can't even chalk something this serious up to kids goofing off and not knowing the consequences--especially since the article says they broke into a shelter earlier to do something similar. This goes way beyond tying cans to a cat's tail or pulling the wings off of flies.

It's crap like this that convinces me people aren't inherently good or, if they are, they're too inherently stupid to realize it. :mad:

InsaneJediGirl
08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Lets light these little ****ers on fire and see what happens to them.Where were the parents?Only 11 and 14,someone should have at least known they were doing this before.

The law really needs to start letting parents hit their kids again."Child abuse" my behind.

arctangent
08-06-2004, 04:08 AM
The law really needs to start letting parents hit their kids again."Child abuse" my behind.

not entirely sure that's the answer. perhaps its time for the law to make parents take responsibility for the actions of their children.

Devo
08-06-2004, 08:03 AM
No doubt the parents are the kind of people who think the world owes them a favour. They must think the government alone is responsible for their children's maintenance and that they need do nothing.

I personally would love to take things into my own hands with those two little scumbags only for the geographical seperation and...oh yes the fact that I was taught acceptable behaviour and am glad for it.

IMFETTUP
08-06-2004, 08:19 AM
I believe that we should turn them over to PETA. They'll take care of 'em. I also had a vision of a scortching hot branding iron on their tender skin. I believe that animal cruelty is the first step towards mask murderer.:(

JEDIpartner
08-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I got a smack on the butt when I did something bad when I was a kid. That wasn't abuse as far as I am concerned. I'm all for not just letting parents try to "reason" with a child who hasn't yet learnt the concept of reason, innit. You know that these stupid little buggers are gonna be mash up by the time they are adults!

Deoxyribonucleic
08-06-2004, 12:07 PM
I got a smack on the butt when I did something bad when I was a kid. That wasn't abuse as far as I am concerned.

Me too and it was never that it hurt, it was that is felt extremely embarrassing, especially if it was in front of the other neighborhood kids :nerv:

Whatever it was I got a spanking from, (which was rare as I was always just in my room or outside playing star wars so never got into much trouble) I never did it again. I think one of the only times I remember getting spanked was from calling one of the kids in the neighborhood an a**ho** hehe ;)

Slicker
08-06-2004, 07:42 PM
What bastards. Anyone who would do that to an animal should have the same done to them.
I'm in total agreeance with you on this one KH and also with Rocketboy. These little punks need some discipline. I don't care how young you are you know the difference between right and wrong. These kids should be put in prison to pay for not only burning the puppy but for probably scarring the poor little 10 year old for life. I'm only 22 but I remember when I was a kid my mother actually gave a damn about what I was doing and even now I live 1,000 miles from her and I still call her every couple of days to let her know what's going on. This just gives rise once again to the question of wether or not they should make school run year round in the entire U.S. so that these kids don't have so much free time.

Sorry about the ramble but much like everyone else on this thread this just utterly disgusts me. Don't kids play hide and seek instead of doing this.

Turbowars
08-08-2004, 11:05 AM
I love animals way more than people, so if I saw that act on a defenseless puppy, I probably would have been thrown in jail after what I did to the 2 freaks of nature. We have a 100% guarantee that these 2 worthless piles of excrement will graduate to humans, but to me they showed their true colors on a animal that does nothing but show love. I say get rid of them while their ahead! Cheaper in the long run anyways.

I'm sure these kids don't have a good home life. They probably come from a broken home with only one parent, but there are cases of just being a bad seed.

I totaly believe in punishing your children for wrong doing. I don't mean beating them to death, but your children need to have respect for you and if you can't discipline them, then why should you be responsible for them?:rolleyes:

Deoxyribonucleic
08-08-2004, 12:42 PM
I love animals way more than people

:)

People all too often show their true nature, which is pretty damn despicable...all too often.

Kidhuman
08-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Well said Turbo, well said.

arctangent
08-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Well said Turbo, well said.

goodness me! is this the same kh who argued so forcefully against abortion in another rancor pit thread? have you truely turned to the dark side kh :eek: !

JON9000
08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't know what to say about these kids. Wantonly cruel? Yes, but grown men used to burn women to death for being uppity.

Whatever is done to them, I hope at 11 and 14 there is still a chance that they can be reformed and turned into halfway normal people. :dis:

Rocketboy
08-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Whatever is done to them, I hope at 11 and 14 there is still a chance that they can be reformed and turned into halfway normal people. :dis:Anyone that would burn a puppy has no chance of being a decent human being.

JEDIpartner
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Anyone that would burn a puppy has no chance of being a decent human being.Agreed... too far gone, I say!

Turbowars
08-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Anyone that would burn a puppy has no chance of being a decent human being.Very true! This kind of behavior has been proven to lead to murder, rape and what not. Sure they will be given a another chance, that how our crap *** system works. Time after time we let people like this back into society and guess what, they either do again or do worse.

Turbowars
08-09-2004, 06:27 PM
I don't know what to say about these kids. Wantonly cruel? Yes, but grown men used to burn women to death for being uppity.

What is your point? It's OK to kill animals? Not being a smart@ss, just wondering.:confused: :)

Kidhuman
08-09-2004, 08:58 PM
goodness me! is this the same kh who argued so forcefully against abortion in another rancor pit thread? have you truely turned to the dark side kh :eek: !

Get the point, its both murder. Whether it is a puppy or a child, it is still murder and the murderer must be punished. And if it is a kid, then so be it.

Turbo is right. Actions like this lead to people being serial killers.

JON9000
08-09-2004, 11:56 PM
What is your point? It's OK to kill animals? Not being a smart@ss, just wondering.:confused: :)
No, it isn't okay, just suggesting it isn't the end of civilization as we know it.

Also, while I find what these children did to be rather horrific, I cannot help but think about the fact that I'd do the same to a lobster in a heartbeat.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24540&highlight=lobster

Just some food for thought, no pun intended.

arctangent
08-10-2004, 04:43 AM
Get the point, its both murder. Whether it is a puppy or a child, it is still murder and the murderer must be punished. And if it is a kid, then so be it.

Turbo is right. Actions like this lead to people being serial killers.

i was only joking kh, its just unusual to see such harsh things coming from you - you normally seem so mild mannered.

you are right, they should be punished, but isn't it a bit excessive to say they should be put to death? at eleven years old i would have known not to do something like this but then i had a good upbringing - who knows how these two have been dragged up. i still maintain that the parents should be held accountable for their childrens' actions as well.