View Full Version : Rick James........Dead

Kidhuman
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Superfreak has died. R.I.P.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/06/rick.james/index.html

El Chuxter
08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh my.

This actually makes the "What did the five fingers say to the face?" line from Chapelle I've been quoting for a couple of weeks now to be in poor taste.

But this is of little importance. :cry:

He was a different kind of soul
The kind you don't take home to mother

RIP, Superfreak.

Exhaust Port
08-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I wonder what the "existing medical condition" could have been.

El Chuxter
08-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Sadly, I think I have an idea.

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Exhaust Port
08-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Sounds about right.

Slicker
08-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I couldn't have said it better KH, it's a sad, sad day in the world *sniff*.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2004, 01:25 PM
I never even heard of him before Chappelle's Show, but he seemed to be pretty funny (both intentionally and unintentionally). He also looked to be doing well, I mean for everything he's done anyway. It was kind of a shock when I heard about it last night.

So I guess the memoirs and movie aren't going to happen?

scruffziller
08-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Man there goes the third season of Chappelle's Show.:cry:
RIP Rick.:zzz:

kool-aid killer
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
I never even heard of him before Chappelle's Show, but he seemed to be pretty funny (both intentionally and unintentionally). He also looked to be doing well, I mean for everything he's done anyway. It was kind of a shock when I heard about it last night.

So I guess the memoirs and movie aren't going to happen?

You had never heard "Superfreak" before? He was Rick James, itch! Heard about it on Friday while on my lunch break and i felt for him. His fame was growing again due to Chappelles Show and he seemed to be doing okay. RIP Superfreak. :cry:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Little tidbit about Rick James early career. Prior going to Motown, he headed up to The North Country (he was AWOL from the naval reserve) where he hooked up with Neil Young and Bruce Palmer, who later formed Buffalo Springfield, and formed a band, albeit breifly, with them.

James was born in the housing projects in Buffalo N.Y., nearby where I live. I drive by them every now and then.

R. I. P. Superfreak.

Slicker
08-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Man there goes the third season of Chappelle's Show.:cry:
RIP Rick.:zzz: I was thinking the same thing. I would also like to think that without Chappelle Show he wouldn't have gotten as much recognition in death.

JediTricks
08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Rick James was famous before he did a guest shot on an episode of Chappelle's Show (which WILL be coming back, Comedy Central just gave Dave Chappelle $50 mil to do more seasons of the show and some other stuff, perhaps this is what gave Rick James that heart attack ;)), James was famous for his song "Superfreak", his cocaine addiction, and he and his wife Tanya were convicted of assault and torture of 2 women for which he served 3 years and she served a year and a half.

Anyway, Rick James' death was very surprising to me, I had heard he had a stroke a few years back and know that coke abuse often leads to heart problems, but he just didn't seem like he was gonna right now.

derek
08-11-2004, 07:01 PM
what's with these 50-something musicians having heart attacks? rick james and robert palmer are dead and john mellencamp and david bowie both had heart attacks. :confused:

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah, you'd think doing massive amounts of cocaine in the '70s and '80s would have been GOOD for them. ;)

Exhaust Port
08-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Now there is no PROOF that drugs are bad for you. ;)

Slicker
08-12-2004, 12:35 PM
So your saying that Keith Richards is PROOF they're good for you.

Kidhuman
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
As long as you have frsh blood pumped intoyou every year like Keith, then no. :D

JediTricks
08-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Hmm, I dunno if a zombie is good evidence of health. :p

El Chuxter
08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
what's with these 50-something musicians having heart attacks? rick james and robert palmer are dead and john mellencamp and david bowie both had heart attacks. :confused:

I believe Mellencamp was mainly due to a pre-existing genetic disorder exacerbated by smoking.

Bowie. . . well, to quote the late Rick James, "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Rick James has been supposedly clean the last few years of his life but a few unnamed people insist that at a party two weekends ago, he was seen doing drugs. Don't know if those reports are mere unfounded rumors or not, a toxicology report is not due for another week or so.

Either way, it is safe to say that drugs did contribute to his shortened life span.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Seems that the toxicology department found 9 different drugs in Rick James bloodstream at the time of his death. The report was filed last week and listed that along with drugs that were prescribed for James's anxiety, heart failure and pain relief problems, cocaine and methamphetamines were also found in his system.

Slicker
09-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Well I guess that cocaine is indeed one hell of a drug. It's unfortunate that he never got over his addiction to drugs because he was no doubt on his way to a comeback. At least he didn't go down like a punk I mean 9 different drugs, hell I can't even name 9 different drugs.

kool-aid killer
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
The song "Can you call a rose by any other name" or something like that by Tina Marie is dedicated to Rick James.

Im not suprised drugs were present in his body upon his death, its sad that he couldnt seem to overcome his addiction to them. But i guess if there is any type of silver lining to be had by his death, its that he died at a time when his fame was climbing again.

Kidhuman
09-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Dang, 9 different drugs. A walking pharmacy he was.