PDA

View Full Version : Have you thought about getting bootleg OT DVDs?

JediTricks
08-09-2004, 08:17 PM
With the recent news of the upcoming Original Trilogy DVD set having even more changes beyond the Special Editions, as well as Lucas saying that we won't be seeing another release of the classic pre-SE versions, many fans have been discussing - pro and con - the possibility of buying or making their own bootleg OT DVDs. There are currently several different OT bootlegs on the market, ranging in quality - from above-VHS decent even with a few extras to fuzzy and having permanent red Chinese subtitles - and sources - from the Definitive Collection laserdiscs to Asian VCDs to poor transfers from the THX videotapes - these bootlegs generally receive mixed reviews, but it hasn't stopped purists from pining away for classic, pre-'97 versions of the film on the DVD format.

So the question is, have you actually thought about getting OT bootleg DVDs, and if so, what was the result?

(If you already own a copy of the bootlegs, please vote for the "I'm seriously considering..." option that best suits your opinion.)

Darth Jax
08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
i've had the SE as bootlegs for quite a long time. the quality is slightly better than the vhs version of it. if i could locate a decent quality bootleg of the not-so-special editions i'd get it as well. but i'll also pick up the official release in the boxset.

Kidhuman
08-09-2004, 09:00 PM
JT, I couldn't vote since I already OWN the bootlegs. If you put that as an option, please tally my vote for it.

Ji'dai
08-09-2004, 09:04 PM
I did buy Episode I and OT Special Edition bootleg DVDs in early 2001. They are widescreen and pretty good quality; I think they were copied from the SE laserdiscs released in Asia. The bad thing is the Chinese subtitles overlay the English subtitles during alien dialogue. I bought them since I never got the SE versions when they were releasesd on VHS.

With the changes that I hear being made to the OT on the upcoming DVDs, I may just spring for a new Laserdisc player instead and be content watching my Definitive Collection laserdisc box set.

vadersvette
08-09-2004, 09:15 PM
The only reason I'm buying the official ones is for the packaging and bonus features (also for some changes like the new ANH Jabba). But I am going to get the laserdisc transfers of the original-original trilogy, and possibly the SE ones, too. I would rather have the original classics than the crapped-on ultra deluxe fancy-shmancy versions. :p

JediTricks
08-09-2004, 09:45 PM
JT, I couldn't vote since I already OWN the bootlegs. If you put that as an option, please tally my vote for it. KH, if you already own them, just vote for either of the "I'm seriously considering..." options, since the last time you thought about it, you DID seriously think about getting them -- and then acted on it. ;) I'll amend the opening post to mention that.

I didn't put up an option for already owning the boots though because of the pesky legal issues surrounding them.

Kidhuman
08-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Understood. My vote is counted.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Understood. My vote is counted.

yeah, and uh, tally my vote in the same category as KH's as we both fit into that category of already owning the OT, not SE mind you (and dont' even start Binks) on DVD. :D

I will buy the newer ones though as i'm semi-looking forward to them. :)

Kidhuman
08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I stuck my vote in the last option JMG. SO if you didnt vote go there and click, :beard:

Reefer Shark
08-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm with KH and JMG here. Already have my copies of the O.G. OT, and will be buying the official one in Sept.

stad
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Had them a couple years ago, when the line was no DVD's until after 2005. Once they announced the new DVD sets, I sold mine for cheap, since they were the SE version anyway. The quality was just fine for casual viewing, slightly better than VHS, which is what transfers from the laserdiscs are.

Hellboy
08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Well I own both the Definitive Collection and the Special Editions on Laserdisc so I wouldn't have any use for bootleg DVD's.

If I didn't have the Laserdiscs though I guess it would come down to how good the quality was on these DVDs before I'd entertain the idea of getting them. Once the new DVDs come out it will most likely become the version of the OT that I view the most so the main appeal of the LD's for me are the extras. I'm not sure if these bootlegs come with all of that material so that would be another factor as well. In the end I'd probably just spring for the LD player and box sets.

sloftus
08-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Buy the laser discs you cheap [edited by jedi master sal] implied explicative removed [end edit] :eek:

B'Omarr Monkey
08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm considering it. I have the vhs versions of both the SE and original versions, and if the boots on DVD aren't any better in quality, then I'm content with those for now.

It's sad that Lucas won't recognize our desire to have the films available in their original versions (or even their SE versions), if nothing more than just for the historic significance of being able to watch this groundbreaking trilogy the way it was first seem almost three decades ago.

Of course when the six movie box set comes out in a couple more years, there are sure to be even more changes to the film.

Doesn't Lucas support film preservation, or is he one of those people that was all for colorizing black and white movies? :frus:

LusiferSam
08-10-2004, 12:00 AM
I've seriously toyed with the idea, particularly after hearing about some of the changes. At this point it's all a load of Bantha fodder. And I think I've given Mr. Lucas enough of my money. If he wants to go on tinkering with with them, fine, just don't expect me to pay for them. Besides the only DVD player I have is in my computer and its not much fun watch a movie on that. So for the time being I'll stick to my pre-SE VHS.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-10-2004, 12:12 AM
I voted for "seriously considering both OT BL and Official OT" since it's the closest to "I already own the OT and SE on DVD" option that seems to be missing ;) 'cause I own 'em and they are awesome!

For anyone who is wondering, the quality is excellent because they are copied from the laserdiscs into dvd format.

tk006ecg
08-10-2004, 12:25 AM
If Lucas' buddy Spielberg can do the fans right with the re release of ET in both the original theatrical release and the extended newer version then why must George alienate his diehard fans that have almost religiously followed Star Wars since the 70's? Star Wars is like a part of our culture and has become such a presence in our lives that it goes way beyond any one man even if he is the creative force behind it. Get over yourself George and let us have that unfinished OT work that so dearly reminds us of our childhoods and what we once loved about your movies growing up. Will the Star Wars I grew up on forever remain trapped on an inferior format without the great extras offered to the select few who are lucky enough to own the Laser Disc versions?

You're darn right I'll support a bootlegger if George is going to deny me! Sure I'll buy the modern version but I don't promise not to get sick to my stomach when I watch Anakin's spirit replaced with a young Hayden Christianson!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-10-2004, 12:46 AM
I will definitely get the OT on DVD. Whether or not I get them from a bootlegger is a different thing. I have the THX box set including the mail away Making of SW video and would just transfer them to DVD. There are a bunch of (relatively) cheap places around here for doing that since there is a big market in UT for edited movies. I don't consider that to be bootlegging or unethical since I bought the original tapes at retail and am not showing or reselling them for profit, just my personal use. They might not look as good as video laserdisc transfered onto DVD, but at least I'll be able to watch them on my laptop without possibly seeing Jar Jar appear in some cockamamie new final sequence .

plasticfetish
08-10-2004, 01:08 AM
"Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me."

I'll buy the new DVD set, but I'm also more than likely to end up making my own DVDs from laserdisc at some point.

scruffziller
08-10-2004, 05:19 AM
How weird it is that the "are seriously considering/own them already and own GLs DVDs" and will only own GLs DVDs are almost split down the middle.:eek:

So this is why we can't get GL to release all versions of the movie. Half of the fans are standing with him on his descision.:(

I also have the SE on DVD bootlegged from the Chinese Laserdisks. They are somehwat difficult to watch since the english and chinese subtitles are above and below the picture. So they are an eye distraction.

Kidhuman
08-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Ya see, I am not buying the official DVD versions, because they are not they official movie. To hell with all these changes. Its not like adding color to a B&W film, it changed the movie completely from what it once was. Removing characters, adding scenes, George cant see it now, but I am giving him the finger.

Word to the :beard:

OC47150
08-10-2004, 07:18 AM
I purchased a set of OT DVD bootlegs earlier this year, and I am very grateful for it. I watched the Death Star attack from ANH the other night and it was great! And no 'close the blast doors!' either!

I was going to buy an extra set of LaserDiscs from a friend, but being that I didn't have a LD player and would have to track one down and buy it, it didn't make sense.

dindae
08-10-2004, 08:31 AM
I am also one that has already bought my bootleg copies. I waited until I saw the specs of the new set. When there was no longer any hope that we would get the originals I hit ebay. I will by the new set but I can't see any reason to shaft your fans because you have a new vision. I loved it when we got the bonus disc of the original Star Wars video game with Rebel Strike. Now the graphics suck and it is boring in comparison with todays games, but I spent tons of money on that game so I'm happy to play it now. I feel the same about the movies. Most of the time I will watch the new version because of the higher quality special effects and sound but the things I remember from the original series like Han shooting first and Luke not screaming like a little baby when he intentionally flings himself down the ventilation shaft are things I will want to see from time to time.

Knightfall
08-10-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm buying bootlegs of the OT as soon as I get around to contacting a supplier. I will not buy the official Lucas-approved versions, because they're not the movies I grew up watching and that's money better spent on more toys, anyway.:D

Rocketboy
08-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I hadn't really thought about it until now, but I want all 3 versions (Original, SE, and the modified SE) on DVD, so it looks like I'll have to hunt down the originals and SEs somewhere.

mark2d2
08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
"This deal is getting worse and worse all the time. . ."

That sums up my opinion on the upcoming DVD release.
Hey, the Special Editions were bad enough. . .
But now more stupid, pointless changes. . .

Has anybody REALLY thought about how dumb all the stormtroopers
are going to sound when they talk to one another in the same voice?

This tinkering is pointless. What?
There are no volunteer soldiers in the empire?
Everybody is a clone? LAME!!!

I wish Lucas would focus on, I dunno, actually making the Prequels good.
And stop messing with the classics.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it --- the old saying goes.

Lucas failed to heed that warning, and now the films are very much broke.
Damaged so badly, I fear they are now forever beyond repair.

Lucas has NO respect for his fans.
Worse than that, he has ZERO respect for his films.
And it makes me absolutely sick.

It's as if Da Vinci had simply decided one day to go ahead and repaint Mona Lisa's smile.

Gee, I guess in the end Lucas really IS nothing without Gary Kurtz.
Rick McCallum is a big fat idiot.
Never before has my opinion on someone talent evaporated away so quickly.

You've ruined, yourself, George. AND your films.

:mad:

El Chuxter
08-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Has anybody REALLY thought about how dumb all the stormtroopers
are going to sound when they talk to one another in the same voice?

Not to mention when clones, who have all their personality repressed, start having a personal conversation outside the tractor beam controls. That oughtta be interesting.

I'll get the new DVD, partly for the improved quality, partly for the extras. I can accept that this is what George's vision is now.

However, I want copies of the OT and the 1997 SE's, because, well, the new versions aren't the movies we grew up with. And they're better.

I can live without bootlegs of TPM and AOTC; even though there were changes made, they were, for the most part, minor. I'd prefer Anakin's hand to remain by his side during the wedding, because that carries so much more weight, but it's not important enough to worry about.

mastermatt24
08-10-2004, 01:10 PM
If I could get a BL with some cut scenes I wouldnt mind buying one..
Now im going to have to wait for a huge box set with all of them in it and (hopefully) the cut scenes. How much is this gonna be?

Angry Wookie
08-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I already have the OT on bootleg DVD-I waited until Lucas announced the DVD release and when I knew FOR SURE that we were only getting the SE I caved in and bought them.Funny thing-right after that announcement,ALL the bootleg DVD sales were pulled from ebay due to legal copyright violations-which leads me to believe that somebody at Lucasfilm knew there would be a rush on to get the bootlegs and tried to stop them.I managed to negotiate with a certain smuggler offline and still managed to get a set at a reasonable price-the qualities not the greatest but at least its the versions I know and love.I dont see WHY Lucas didnt do like they did with ET-have one side of the DVD be the SE and the other side be the OT.That way,EVERYONE would be happy and this would have been the biggest selling DVD boxset in history.As it stands,I know I have no desire to purchase the DVDs and I know quite a few other people who are passing on them as well.

El Chuxter
08-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I am willing to bet that Lucas is going to wait until everyone buys this, as well as the big ol' Archival Editions boxed set (presumably in 2006 or 2007), then say, "You know, I changed my minds about the whole 'no original trilogy' thing."

I'm a sucker. I'll still buy it.

Kyle Katarn
08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
No, I haven't thought that cause I want to buy only the official one, I need to wait till September.

Slicker
08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I've considered buying the OT on DVD but just can't bare to part with money better spent. I'm a patient person and will wait for the DVD release in September. I'm not going to judge the films before I see them so I won't complain or give many combolations until September.
I know what a laser disc player is but I have a question and that is exactly how much does the player itself cost? I would think they would be expensive but I'm not the smartest person in the world.

sloftus
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Players are cheap. Under a hundred dollars. The movies are cheap also, but you want to get the definitive collection. The definitive collection has bonus material as well as being less likely to have "laser rot" as some of the first edition laser discs tend to.

Masterjedi73
08-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Hmmm....all of this talk about the changes to the DVDs seems kind of crazy to me. I think it will be neat to see Hayden's spirit at the end of Jedi, and even the possibility of Ian McDiarmid in Empire thrills me. It brings more continuity to the series that would have been there had they been filmed in order. Changes like the whole "who shot first" segment I can do without. I don't see the point in that.

As to whether or not I'll own bootlegs, let's just say that I would collect as many versions of the films as I could....that may eventually number in the thousands at this rate. lol

BingoWitch1013
08-10-2004, 11:25 PM
I too wish you had had the choice for those whom have already purchased the bootlegs. I have purchased the Classic OTC on bootleg DVD. I have been lucky enough to have found an amazing supplier of Star Wars bootleg DVD's who has a perfect, crystal clear direct transfer of the Complete Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Laserdisc Collection onto DVD. (THE ORIGINALS, NOT THE SPECIAL EDITIONS!!!) It has all the commentary and every single supplement from the set. I had purchased some real crappy bootlegs on Ebay and kept hunting for the best I could find. It took me a while to find him, but boy was the search finally worth it. He was also able to supply laserdisc to DVD transfers of the super rare double feature The Making of Star Wars/SPFX:The Empire Strikes Back laserdisc and both Ewok films from the two laserdiscs. He also made me super high quality DVD's of the Star Wars Holiday Special, Classic Creatures:Return of the Jedi and From Star Wars to Jedi:The Making of a Saga from VHS. After three years of searching for the best it was finally nice to sit back and repeatedly relive my childhood without having to worry about George Lucas messing with my memories of the ORIGINAL TRILOGY as I remembered it!!!

plasticfetish
08-10-2004, 11:51 PM
It brings more continuity to the series that would have been there had they been filmed in order.Point is, they weren't filmed in order and they aren't supposed to be watched in order. By trying to change that, I think Lucas is really killing the OT.

Those last three films aren't the sequels to the first three. If anything, the most interesting thing about the PT is that many of the questions we'd had from years of wondering are finally being answered. Flip it around and it's answers first, questions later. (Yawn.)

Slicker
08-11-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm with PF on this one. The Original Trilogy was obiviously around first so I think Lucas should direct the Prequels around the story from them and not vice versa. He's trying to justify alot of the stuff from the Prequels by messing with the Holy Trilogy.

Kidhuman
08-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Flip it around and it's answers first, questions later. (Yawn.)

So G.Lu played ALex Trebec here, and I agree

Knightfall
08-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I am willing to bet that Lucas is going to wait until everyone buys this, as well as the big ol' Archival Editions boxed set (presumably in 2006 or 2007), then say, "You know, I changed my minds about the whole 'no original trilogy' thing."
If there were to be an official DVD release of the OT, I would buy it. But the chances of this happening appear to be slim to none. Contrary to what some people believe, George Lucas does NOT have the right to alter his films whenever his "vision" changes, and we shouldn't just go along with it when he does. I used to have a poster of GL on my bedroom door, but now he holds no place of reverance in my mind.

skeeziks22
08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Contrary to what some people believe, George Lucas does NOT have the right to alter his films whenever his "vision" changes, and we shouldn't just go along with it when he does.

He's got the right to do what he pleases (at least with ANH which he directed and wrote), but you are right... we do not need to go along wih it. You can pick and choose which version of Eric Clapton's "Layla" you like best and listen to only that version, just as you can pick which version of the OT you like best. Difference is, Clapton gave us both on CD, while GL is only giving us one choice on DVD. So... I say get all the bootlegs you want. Personally I would like the Original theatre releases, the standard video releases, the SE video releases AND the new (ultimate) edition on DVD... that makes four copies of the same movies on DVD, and I would be willing to pay equal price for them all.

mastermatt24
08-11-2004, 12:40 PM
George Lucas does NOT have the right to alter his films whenever his "vision" changes

Hate to say it but- They are HIS films..

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 06:54 PM
I voted for "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" and I am not really totally sure if I'll be getting the official DVD release at all. It seems like I really underestimated how many fans already own bootlegs though, but I'm not regretting leaving that option out of this poll because it sends a more specific message.

It's sad that Lucas won't recognize our desire to have the films available in their original versions (or even their SE versions), if nothing more than just for the historic significance of being able to watch this groundbreaking trilogy the way it was first seem almost three decades ago.

Doesn't Lucas support film preservation, or is he one of those people that was all for colorizing black and white movies? :frus: Your first quoted paragraph is so true, and infuriating when you read his comments about Columbia TriStar offering a colorized option their recent 3 Stooges DVDs which ties into the second paragraph: http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30502
Apparently, it's quite alright for him to go back and tear his old films apart adding whatever junk he deems fit, but for anybody else to offer a change it's blasphemy to him - what a hypocrite he is!

If Lucas' buddy Spielberg can do the fans right with the re release of ET in both the original theatrical release and the extended newer version then why must George alienate his diehard fans that have almost religiously followed Star Wars since the 70's? Star Wars is like a part of our culture and has become such a presence in our lives that it goes way beyond any one man even if he is the creative force behind it. Get over yourself George and let us have that unfinished OT work that so dearly reminds us of our childhoods and what we once loved about your movies growing up. Will the Star Wars I grew up on forever remain trapped on an inferior format without the great extras offered to the select few who are lucky enough to own the Laser Disc versions?

You're darn right I'll support a bootlegger if George is going to deny me! Sure I'll buy the modern version but I don't promise not to get sick to my stomach when I watch Anakin's spirit replaced with a young Hayden Christianson!Absolutely! Spielberg understood that the audience that supported his film 20 years ago and helped make it such a phenomenon would want that original version no matter what changes were offered, the film was a part of history as it was originally released and he respected that. Meanwhile, Lucas continues to deny us the real Original Trilogy and wants to rewrite history to suit his modern vision.

"Perhaps I've toyed with the idea, but likely no bootlegs for me."

I'll buy the new DVD set, but I'm also more than likely to end up making my own DVDs from laserdisc at some point. If you plan on making your own boots from the LD set, you would fit under the "I'm seriously considering a bootleg as well as the official DVDs" option, I worded it and the opening post to not say "buying", whether you make your own or get them free from a friend or trade an action figure for 'em, you're considering a set of boots, right?

How weird it is that the "are seriously considering/own them already and own GLs DVDs" and will only own GLs DVDs are almost split down the middle.:eek:

So this is why we can't get GL to release all versions of the movie. Half of the fans are standing with him on his descision. I also find it really weird how split it was, I didn't know what to expect really though. You make a good point in that 2nd quoted paragraph which I hadn't really thought of. I guess I'm a sucker in that I have given serious thought to getting boots, but I plan on getting the official DVDs as well because I want the image quality.

I also have the SE on DVD bootlegged from the Chinese Laserdisks. They are somehwat difficult to watch since the english and chinese subtitles are above and below the picture. So they are an eye distraction. A friend of mine loaned those to me, they're REALLY bad! The image quality is fairly poor (don't dare zoom in on anything ;)) and those subtitles are just annoying as heck - I certainly wouldn't pay anything for this set of boots.

Ya see, I am not buying the official DVD versions, because they are not they official movie. To hell with all these changes. Its not like adding color to a B&W film, it changed the movie completely from what it once was. Removing characters, adding scenes, George cant see it now, but I am giving him the finger. That's why I added the "INSTEAD OF" option, I figured there would be a few folks like yourself on this one. I definitely understand your line of thinking, though I am too much of a chump to not buy the official DVDs myself.

It seems like there's a lot of passion on this issue, I can definitely understand that, I feel it myself. I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format. I have not actually seen a full transfer of the LDs to DVD though, the closest versions I've seen are missing half the extras.

mark2d2
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Your first quoted paragraph is so true, and infuriating when you read his comments about Columbia TriStar offering a colorized option their recent 3 Stooges DVDs . . .

Apparently, it's quite alright for him to go back and tear his old films apart adding whatever junk he deems fit, but for anybody else to offer a change it's blasphemy to him - what a hypocrite he is!

Yeah, this really ticked me off. It's a frigging joke that he can say this with a straight face when Columbia is AT LEAST STILL OFFERING THE UNTOUCHED BLACK & WHITES. Talk about NOT practicing what you preach.

It's embarrassing. Just flat out embarrassing.

Lucas has seriously self destructed. Star Wars it NOT what it once was. The Prequels have made him an absolute joke in the minds of critics and fans alike.

The new scripts suck. The characters are bland, the performances blander.
Even the design department has gotten lazy! Look! Let's take a stormtrooper and cross it with Boba to make a clone! Ugh, it's all so shoddy.

The effects HAVE taken over, and you know what? They're really NOT that great. I'd take Greedo in a rubber mask over a CG Jabba any day. CG doesn't look nearly as great as it's creators think it does.

The emperor has no clothes. And I'm tired of watching Lucas stand around with his (Censored by MARK2D2) in the wind.

Slicker
08-11-2004, 07:23 PM
The effects HAVE taken over, and you know what? They're really NOT that great. I'd take Greedo in a rubber mask over a CG Jabba any day. CG doesn't look nearly as great as it's creators think it does.I totally agree with this. The space battle in Return of the Jedi looks a trillion times better than anything you could ever do with CG. No matter how hard they try you can always tell when something is CG and you just can't get the amount of detail into CG that a model make can get in. I'll take rubber masks and models any day.

Hellboy
08-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format.

Well they do make players that flip the sides of the discs for you but the material is spread out over 3 discs per movie so you would have to change those. As far as laser rot goes I have over 200 laserdiscs and have never experienced it. Granted I've always made sure to store all of my discs upright in a cool dry place but if you can find a set in great condition you shouldn't have a problem keeping them rot free based on my experience.

jeffonthego
08-12-2004, 05:07 AM
I'm not giving George Lucas a penny on DVD product until he reverses his decision on not making the original versions available (even if that day never comes). I will check out whatever original-version transfers to DVD I can find, as well as download and burn the new SE DVDs for free (just to spite Lucas). I grew up worshiping the man in the late 1970s and 1980s, but George Lucas has done a lot in recent years to really spoil the goodwill that fans have towards him.

Kidhuman
08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
That's why I added the "INSTEAD OF" option, I figured there would be a few folks like yourself on this one. I definitely understand your line of thinking, though I am too much of a chump to not buy the official DVDs myself.

And I thank you for that.:D

It seems like there's a lot of passion on this issue, I can definitely understand that, I feel it myself. I wish I could go with the Definitive Collection LDs, but it's an expensive route and I don't like flipping discs and I fear laser rot. I do want the data on those discs, but not in the LD format. I have not actually seen a full transfer of the LDs to DVD though, the closest versions I've seen are missing half the extras.

I dont really care for the extras. My main goal was to get the movies and thats what I did. I barely watch the extras anyway. I can not stand commentary mode becuase it subtracts from the movie. If I wanted to see that, I would watch MST3K, gat least thats funny. But I just wanted the movies in there "ORIGINAL FORM" and I got that.

OC47150
08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm not crazy about commentaries either, KidHuman. I can think of only one movie I listened to the commentary and it was A Christmas Story.

I'll probably listen to the trilogy commentaries at least once just for the heck of it.

dr_evazan22
08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I haven't followed everything here, but there was no option for if we have a copy of the original versions, which I do have. The quality isn't bad, but not great. I wanted to get them for if and when my VHS copies go bad.

And yes, I'll be buying the official versions in a month.

Knightfall
08-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Hate to say it but- They are HIS films..I'd start into the "he may have made the films but they don't belong to only him, they belong just as much to the fans who embraced the films and put him in the position he's in today" speech, but that's getting off-topic, and besides, there's a great episode of "South Park" that explains it rather nicely--check it out sometime.

Lucas has seriously self destructed. Star Wars it NOT what it once was. The Prequels have made him an absolute joke in the minds of critics and fans alike.

The new scripts suck. The characters are bland, the performances blander.
Even the design department has gotten lazy! Look! Let's take a stormtrooper and cross it with Boba to make a clone! Ugh, it's all so shoddy.

The effects HAVE taken over, and you know what? They're really NOT that great. I'd take Greedo in a rubber mask over a CG Jabba any day. CG doesn't look nearly as great as it's creators think it does. Well said.

Turambar
08-14-2004, 05:41 PM
I voted for the ONLY bootleg versions, but I'm actually saving up for the LDs and a really good player. I think that will give me the best quality.

Hey, mark2d2, speaking of designs that suck, did anyone ever mention that
the clonetrooper's gun is just an upsidedown stormtrooper gun? I've always found that utterly ridiculous. The stormtrooper rifle had function: a sight, a grip, and a retractable stock. So the prequel designers just flip it over, add on to the end, and voila! a clonetrooper rifle devoid of function.

SithDroid
08-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I for one am completely against bootlegs and non official copies of DVD's, CD's or Computer games. But since Lucas is so stubborn about not releasing the "Original" versions of these films, then what else can fans expect to do. What I think that is even more hilarious and makes Lucas even more of a hypocrite is his statement about the 3 Stooges films. He says that the films should not be colorized because it takes away from the original way they were to be viewed. Someone should make him see that by not putting the Original version of Star Wars on DVD that he is contradicting himself. Practice what you preach Lucas. Putting the Original version out on DVD is no different than any other studio putting out an original version and a "director's cut" which is basically what the special editions are. I don't see why he won't release the originals either. It is quite clear that the fans want a copy of the originals and that many people would buy the original and the special editions. Apparently what the fans want is not important to him. I can't possibly see how Lucas thinks Greedo shooting first was a good idea.

scruffziller
08-16-2004, 10:58 AM
I for one am completely against bootlegs and non official copies of DVD's, CD's or Computer games. But since Lucas is so stubborn about not releasing the "Original" versions of these films, then what else can fans expect to do. What I think that is even more hilarious and makes Lucas even more of a hypocrite is his statement about the 3 Stooges films. He says that the films should not be colorized because it takes away from the original way they were to be viewed. Someone should make him see that by not putting the Original version of Star Wars on DVD that he is contradicting himself. Practice what you preach Lucas. Putting the Original version out on DVD is no different than any other studio putting out an original version and a "director's cut" which is basically what the special editions are. I don't see why he won't release the originals either. It is quite clear that the fans want a copy of the originals and that many people would buy the original and the special editions. Apparently what the fans want is not important to him. I can't possibly see how Lucas thinks Greedo shooting first was a good idea.
WHat Georgie boy thinks in his mind that the original release was not how it was suppose to be viewed by the public but what he has made now is what it is suppose to be. He basically thinks that what he is doing now by adding, changing, etc. to SW is like restoring The 3 Stooges from color back to black and white. I agree with you SithDroid, wealth has made GL a nutcase.

JEDIpartner
08-17-2004, 10:30 AM
There is no "I've already gotten an earlier version on bootleg" button, so I cannot answer. :D

JediTricks
08-17-2004, 08:20 PM
JP, that issue has already been addressed in the thread, I edited the opening post to reflect it. If you have the boots already, please use either of the "I'm seriously considering..." options.

scruffziller
08-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I sure hope that all of you that have boots have it in Widescreen......:D

OC47150
08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
It's the only way!

JediTricks
08-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Eww, p&s bootlegs, who would bother with that? The very notion is dirty! :D

TheDarthVader
08-18-2004, 10:21 PM
I am getting the official LFL DVDs. I don't mind bootlegs. I just don't own any but I have watched some bootlegged DVDs.

B.
TDV

scruffziller
08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Eww, p&s bootlegs, who would bother with that? The very notion is dirty! :D Of Course.:D If I wanted those, all I would need to do is make DVDs from the very original release on VHS that my friend's dad has(he ran a VIDEO EXCHANGE back in the mid 80s), and not have hasseled with the Ebay market.
They still play in excellent condition.(but not worth mentioning since they are foolscreen):D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I sure hope that all of you that have boots have it in Widescreen......:D

absolutely...No other way to go! :smoker:

Rocketboy
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't want anyone to get in trouble with the Flannel Police, so you don't have to be specific, but where did many of you get your bootlegs?
Ebay? Comic Cons? Other?

dindae
08-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Got mine via ebay.

Kidhuman
08-23-2004, 08:07 PM
I did it Ebay. :beard:

dr_evazan22
08-23-2004, 11:56 PM
I got mine at Wizard World Philly, or East, or whatever its called.

What I don't understand about shows like that is that there are all these obviously bootleg videos being sold at these things, and there are policemen walking thru the Con.

Kidhuman
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Its because people dont care except for the people "losing" money on it. What I dont understand is how is Lucas losing money on it if he refuses to release the versions in the first place.

JediTricks
08-26-2004, 12:50 AM
I think Lucas has it easy, look at how many people here are planning to buy the official DVD whether they get a bootleg or not (and I'm not pointing fingers, I'm in the same boat). He has no financial incentive to release 'em, and I guess his conscience only bothers him when other studios alter their own classic products.