PDA

View Full Version : Mini Heads Boxed set #2

shinakuma43
12-21-2001, 01:38 PM
Just a quick note for R2:

I was just thinking about the Mini Heads and checked your site to see how many sets were made and was pretty surprised to see that the second boxed set wasn't listed. If you forgot to include it this is just a reminder. If you don't have it I can take pics of mine for you. LMK.

Another variation I came across that you might be interested in:
We know about the variation with the Luke Jedi that came with the AF Rancor. Well, that's not the only variation with the set. The first released version (Luke without the bone) comes with a display stand with the SILVER logo for the Rancor to stand on. Also, the holes on the Rancor's feet and also on the base to hold him in place are different than the second version. I can send pics of this too if you'd like. If you need images of the emblemless Green A-Wing I have it loose and boxed (GSJ, I'm still on the lookout for one for you). LMK.

Later,
S43

r2dee2
01-22-2002, 09:00 PM
S43....WOW, this is the first time I've seen your post, don't know how I missed it:) Anyway, I'd LOVE to have pics of ALL those variations you mentioned!!!!! I think I do have a pic of the Emblemless green A-wing that I got off of ebay, but I'm sure yours would be a LOT better quality, so I'd love that too:D THANKS!!

r2dee2
01-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Oh I forgot, my email is still not working. If you want you can post it here with an attachment, send me a private email or try me at mguyote@hotmail.com

shinakuma43
01-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Ok R@, I'll take pics and will poist the URLs here and will also attempt to e-mail them to you ASAP. I was kind of surprised I didn't get a reply a while ago, I figured you weren't interested but I'm glad you just missed it.

Later,
S43

shinakuma43
02-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Ok, I finally got a chance to take some pics. I managed to forget about the emblemless A-Wings (boxed and loose) so they will have 2 wait.

MIni Heads Set 2 (http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43/MiniHeadsSet2.jpg)
if link doesn't work, replace it with this URL:
http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43//MiniHeadsSet2.jpg

Action Fleet Rancors (http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43/AFRancors.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43//AFRancors.jpg

The Rancor on the right has a Silver Logo on the base, sorry it's hard to tell with the glare. I'll take a better pic and replace it when I get the chance.

Rogue 2 Snowspeeders (http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43/Rogue2s.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43//Rogue2s.jpg

First is loose, second is what I believe is the typical release, 3rd is the version I just found out about with solid side panels on the box, and forth is in Japanese packaging. I don't see any variations to the actual ships, it's just the packages that differ.

I took pictures of the different colored Interceptors, but in the images they both look the same which is pretty wierd. I'll try it agian soon.

I'll take more pics of stuff when I get the chance and post more.

I just found out something new today. I'm not sure if this is already known and I just somehow didn't know, but I'll say it anyways. Someone pointed out to me that the Larger version of the AF DV TIE Fighter was released with the Battle Damaged paint job. I knew the DV Flight Controller had the larger version of the DV TIE Fighter, but I somehow never noticed that it had the battle damaged markings until someone else told me about it. It surprised me. LMK if I'm the only one who didn't realize that.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
02-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Shinakuma, very cool shots! However, due to Geocities' funky desire to have their images not linked off-site, clicking the above links without seeing the images beforehand will result in a Yahoo page with an error message, so I added a "fix", non-click URL beneath each link that'll work no matter what, even if someone got the error page.

shinakuma43
02-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Ah, Jedda, I think you mentioned that yahoo problem to me a long time ago. Sorry, I completely forgot. So, what is the fix? The extra forward slash? If so I'm trying to figure out how that actually works, the extra slash I'd think would cause the browsers to give an error since the URL is incorrect. Hmm, pretty weird. LMK.

Thanks,
S43

BTW, another variation which I'd like to see would be an emblemless Rogue 2 Snowspeeder. I've never seen one or even heard one mentioned, but since the Green A-Wing is able to be found without the emblems/decals I'd bet there must be some Rogue 2 Snowspeeders without the rebel emblem as well.

r2dee2
02-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much S43, for those wonderful scans. I'll let you know when I get them online. They are fantastic!! :) Boy, more solid side panels! I'm just happy to have the one you found me:) Thanks!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a paint error on a Snowspeeder, after all there is one on theSeries Alpha Snowspeeder (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/sasnowspeeder.htm)

Are you sure that you are not referring to the smaller DV TIE fighter that doesn't have the battle damage? All my large AF DV TIES are without the battle damage (except the flight controllers DV TIES) and most of my smaller version DV TIE's are with battle damage, except for the one small version I have in a silver logo box, that has no battle damage.

r2dee2
02-05-2002, 12:46 AM
S43, I've added your scans to my page. You can link to them from my front page (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/main.htm) Thanks again for the great scans!!!:D :) :p

shinakuma43
02-05-2002, 12:50 AM
R2: Sorry if I wasn't clear. The large DV TIE I have wiht the battle damage is the Flight Controller TIE. I don't have nor have I ever seen a large DV TIE in a regular AF box. I also have the small version without the battle damage. While we're talking about DV TIE Fighter I still don't have the first releases of the Death Star and Hoth playsets. Are there any differences in the BD DV TIE and the BD Snowspeeder or is it just the packaging that differs? Thanks for the info on the Alpha Snowspeeder, I never even noticed the difference in the gun length on the concept vehicles. I know I got a solid side paneled Luk's X-Wing for you, but did I ever send the images of the A-Wing and B-Wing? If not let me know and I'll add that to my list.

Later,
S43

r2dee2
02-05-2002, 01:18 AM
...but you DO have the large DV TIE without the battle damage right? I seem to remember your saying you had all the numbered vehicles, so you have to have the large DV TIE.

I've not seen any difference in either the TIE fighter or Snowspeeder in the first and second Death Star AF set and the Ice Planet Hoth AF sets. You're in luck:D .....just packaging differences.

The scans you have sent me, not including the ones you posted today are:

boxed A-Wing Solid Side panel
boxed Rancor (Luke no bone)
boxed Interceptors
boxed Japanese Sandcrawler
boxed Japanese Snowpeeder
boxed Japanese X-wing

...no B-wing scan that I can remember;) I'd love a scan whenever you get the chance...no hurry:happy:

r2dee2
02-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Oh! ....and the Battlepack (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/bp5.htm) picture:D

good shot jansen
02-05-2002, 07:44 AM
variations flowed like milk and honey back in the good ol' daze of the buzz:eek: a varient collectors dream world it wuz!

i don't recall, did anyone pose the quextion to jkf back in the days when we had his ear, about all these varients which run rampant through the action fleet line?

does anyone remember if a reason was ever given? particularly with regards to the battle packs. was that strictly a cost savings measure, or was built-in collectability being provided fer those lucky enough to snag initial releases of the line?

questions questions questions

np: taboo! - "it's natural" wigstock soundtrack, from what has become the most Valuable Tape in my collection of late:)

shinakuma43
02-05-2002, 07:57 AM
R2: I do have the large DV TIE numbered & boxed, boxed, and loose. The only DV TIE variation I need is the smaller version without battle damage paint loose. Hmm, if it is out there in a box with a Gold Logo I'd need that too.

Thanks for the info on the Silver Logo playsets. I am in luck, rather than having to get them loose and boxed I just need them boxed.

Ok, I'll try to get the B-Wing pic for you soon. I also have a Virago in Japanese packaging now too so I'll take a pic of that as well. I also got a set of Micro Machines from a guy in Japan a couple months ago. I saw, I think, a set of 8 of them on ebay a long time ago that went for 65.00. I now know there are 12 in the set and I got all 12 for more than double the 65.00, but I just had to have them. In case i don't get a chance to take a pic soon each set has one vehicle and one figure and the cards are smaller than the US single carded MMs.

If anyone has, or knows were I can get, any other Japanese packaged Action Fleet items other than the Rogue 2, Virago, Sandcrawler, or Jek's X-Wing please let me know. I'd settle for knowing which ones were released. I do know the Rancor was released. It was the first one I ever saw in Japanese packaging but someone decided to go all the way up to 102.50 for it about a year ago on ebay. That was just too much for me though.

Later,
S43

shinakuma43
02-05-2002, 08:26 AM
R2: I just took a quick loo at your site, mainly the EP1 MMs section. I had no idea the Gungans and Battle droids were also available on the first edition cards, I guess I need them now. Well, I noticed you didn't have an image of set XIII, so here you go:

Episode 1 MM set XIII (http://www.geocities.com/shinakuma43//Ep1MMSetXIII.jpg)

Later,
S43

r2dee2
02-05-2002, 01:26 PM
S43...wow, it must be Christmas around here. I've been getting all these scans:):) Thanks!! I've added XIII to my webpage.

GSJ, as far as the Battlepacks go, I just remember reading that they were omitting that last figure purely as a cost cutting measure. I don't think most people were buying these packs for collectibility. I think with the AF Vader TIE, the change in size was just like the POTF2 lightsaber change...the proportion just wasn't right. Adding the battle damage MIGHT have been something to induce peolpe to buy another vehicle:greedy: JT will be a lot more knowledgeable in this matter I'm sure!

shinakuma43
02-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Galoob costcutting? No way, they'd never do anything like that. That's what I figure everything was too. The removal of the logo coloring from the stands, the side panels no longer being cut out and windowed, the battle packs going to flat cards from 12-18 (which are IMO better than the first design). Episode 1 MMs then went even further, they started coming with only one figure and the boxes were just a rectangle which I'm sure is cheaper to produce than the classic AF boxes.

My guess about the Battle Damaged paint though is that they got the idea after doing the first 2 playsets. The BD DV TIE and BD Snowspeeder would have to be the first 2 vehicles made with the BD paint effects. They probably used them from then on all the AFs they did, including adding them to the ones which already existed.

Later,
S43

RobertDD
02-18-2002, 07:40 AM
All youy say is very true, except that by the time the episode 1 vehicles came on Galoob was no longer there. It was Hasbro cutting the costs.

JediTricks
02-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Robert, IIRC, Galoob designed all the Ep 1 MM and AF stuff, even the packaging, before they were bought by Hasbro. They even dropped the AF figure pack-in count to 1 before Hasbro's mean ol' slashers came in.

Still, Galoob wouldn't have overproduced Ep 1 wave 1 so badly and wouldn't have killed the line after only a few waves just because of wave 1's poor sales either.

RobertDD
02-18-2002, 09:40 AM
I never knew that.

But I think you are not correct on the designing (don't flame me just yet, just a few observations coming up and I would like to find out exactly what happened). If galoob already did the designing for all ep1 stuff then it stands to reason they wouldn't have printed "collect all 4" on the back of the first wave of Action Fleet vehicles, but would have gone for "collect all 16" right of the bat.
Plus, I know I saw stuff, like the Death Star, the Alpha podracer and the star destroyer in pre production fase long after Hasbro took over, and they never came to full production as far as I know. This would strongly suggest that there was still designing done under Hasbro supervision. I especially doubt that the reintroduction of new classic Star Wars toys was something that was thought up before Hasbro took over Galoob.

Of course, this all in no means takes away from your remark that Galoob cut the costs and not Hasbro. :)

What would be interesting to know is what exactly happened to Galoob when Hasbro took over. Did they continue as a department of Hasbro working from the old Galoob site, did they get transfered to Hasbro's, or what.

JediTricks
02-19-2002, 02:09 AM
JKF was talking about the AF Anakin's Podracer being done in prototype form before the Sebulba's Podracer was on shelves, said his son was playing with that pod at the opening of the film IIRC. I don't think "collect all 4" is anything more than a safety net, so each wave won't have to risk future waves not making it to market (although this DID happen with the pod packs).

As I understand it, Hasbro did the buyout and moved Galoob a few miles down the road to new San Francisco offices. There, they were given extra tasks like designing half of the POTJ line of action figures as well as more Micro Machines work like continued designing of SWMM, creating models for ILM and Lucasarts, and intergrating military MM into the GI Joe name. Galoob division continued these west-coast operations right up until Hasbro recalled both Galoob and Kenner divisions back to Rhode Island, having the San Francisco and Cincinatti offices close up shop.

RobertDD
02-19-2002, 03:06 AM
So what's left of Galoob now? What can we expect from the new AOTC Action Fleet line (apart from the repaints)?

good shot jansen
02-19-2002, 12:44 PM
jt, you have now posted the acrynom "IIRC in two consecutive posts, and for the life of me, i can't figure out what your trying to say:confused:

i'm illin' regarding carrots?

it's in right chad?

i've imbibed rancid chowder?

i'm irked regarding clowns?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm:crazed:

oh! one mo' thang

you may want to paruse over to the epic collection thread, a bunch of your fellow micronaughts are steppin up to the plate in offering you the epic set that you're missing (from the 1st three released)

RobertDD
02-19-2002, 06:10 PM
If I Recall Correctly

JediTricks
02-20-2002, 02:34 AM
Thanks GSJ, lookin' now.

Thanks Robert!

As for AOTC AF, I'll try to get back to you with a list from Hasbro themselves before I say anything, but other lists out there have the Gunship, Jedi Starfighter, and I believe another Slave I.