PDA

View Full Version : Half-ton man drops 321 pounds, and still counting , how do you get THIS fat

JEDIpartner
08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Man trying to lose 800 pounds
Doctors treat man who once weighed half a ton

Patrick Deuel, 42, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to a Sioux Falls hospital eight weeks ago.

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota (AP) -- A man who once weighed more than half a ton has lost 321 pounds under the care of a team of doctors and hopes to lose 450 pounds more.

Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Nebraska, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. Deuel, who is just under 6 feet tall, is on a 1,200 calorie-a-day diet.

"If we hadn't gotten him here, he'd be dead now," said Fred Harris, Deuel's lead doctor.

The former restaurant manager has been bedridden since last fall. He has battled heart failure, thyroid problems, diabetes, pulmonary hypertension and arthritis, and needed help just to roll over in bed.

"Until recently, I wasn't able to see any light at the end of the tunnel," he said Monday from his hospital bed.

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds (629 kilograms), held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Washington, who died in 1983.

Deuel, who has battled weight problems all his life and blames his condition in part on genetics, said it took months to find a hospital. Hospitals closer to his home balked at admitting him, he said.

"I got scared because I couldn't help him anymore, and I didn't know who would help him," said his wife, Edith.

Harris said Deuel's care could cost millions of dollars, much of which the hospital may have to cover. Officials found a special ambulance, and hospital workers joined two beds to accommodate Deuel.

One of Deuel's goals is to walk out of the hospital. He also wants to go to a Nebraska Cornhuskers football game, and just take a walk with his wife.

"Even though he's faced negativity all these years, he's not a negative person," Edith Deuel said. "He's almost always been able to stay bubbly and make jokes and be happy."

JEDIpartner
08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I can understand being genetically predisposed to being overweight... but to be 800 overweight? Come ON!

billfremore
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
I think Krispy Kreme is to blame here :D

darthvyn
08-11-2004, 04:37 PM
genetics??? what the crap!!! no, you're hand is to blame, shovelling whatever consumable products you could reach into your mouth!

maybe i'm wrong, and he used a feedbag instead of his hand.

but it is happy news that he may be able simultaneously lose all that weight and send the hospital into bankruptcy because they have to treat him and his twin that he ate.

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 07:00 PM
I love that part about the "League of Human Dignity" getting him to a livestock scale, it just makes me chuckle because it sounds so ironic, I mean, how much dignity could the guy have had being carted over to a local cow scale? :D

JEDIpartner
08-11-2004, 07:11 PM
I know. I chuckled to myself about that as well. "Hey, my fat hippo chubster friend, you're so big that we need to weigh you on a livestock scale! Roll on, fatty fat hat!"

:rolleyes:

darthvyn
08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
and he didn't even break the record... probably the scale, though.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-12-2004, 03:16 AM
I seriously wonder what it feels like to have that much weight on your frame. It's got to be one of the most uncomfortable feelings around! I mean I feel freeken uncomfortable when I'm bloated and that's only about 5 extra pounds once a month. I hope he's able to lose the weight he wants!

Kidhuman
08-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Remember Walter Hudson? The was around 1400 lbs IIRC. I can not understand getting to be this big. I mean, didnt it bother this person when they were 300,400 lbs? But to get near 1g in lbs. is absurd.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
This guy makes Fat Bastard look skinny! :eek:

(and not the Fat Bastard in the scene when his neck resembles something else :D )

Really though, how could you let yourself go that badly? I don't think it's genetics at all, there's no gene that automatically makes you balloon up to half a freakin' ton!

dr_evazan22
08-12-2004, 03:01 PM
"Until recently, I wasn't able to see any light at the end of the tunnel," he said Monday from his hospital bed."

Is light the only thing he's had trouble seeing?

I had a little chucle from the League of Human Dignity as well. Their HQ is right between the Justice League and Injustice League.

Seriously tho, best of luck to ya!

His heart has been able to handle the strain so far, I hope he doesn't lose the weight so fast it strains it further. And all that skin! Will it / can it shrink?

JEDIpartner
08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
No, Doc... I don't think the skin will shrink. I think that's where some of your "creative surgery" will come in handy! ;)

QLD
08-14-2004, 05:34 AM
I am over 500 pounds myself.

Whether that matters to anyone, I don't care.

I am very glad they are helping him, and perhaps they can help him regain a somewhat normal life.

Personally, I finally just got my insurance company to approve getting the gastric-bypass surgery, which I hope to have done before the year ends.

Yes, I am genetically pre-disposed to be obese. My mother, grandfather, brother, great grandfather, were all very large.

However, I also have very bad eating habits that stem from growing up with them. When I was active, and playing football, it wasn't so bad. But once adulthood, and laziness set in, so did the weight.

Yes it sucks. What sucks just as much are the people who ridicule you and fail to even try to understand or help.

Kidhuman
08-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Good Luck on the surgery LIMP.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Personally, I finally just got my insurance company to approve getting the gastric-bypass surgery, which I hope to have done before the year ends.

GREAT! It's nice to see insurance companies FINALLY covering things in the past they deamed as "cosmetic" :rolleyes: How much does the surgery cost if you don't mind me asking?

Yes it sucks. What sucks just as much are the people who ridicule you and fail to even try to understand or help.

I kinda know this from a different perspective being a lesbian and all. It makes me laugh when effed up people have the nerve to call ME abnormal or tell me I'm going to hell for liking to be with hot chicks and they have NO IDEA who I am! I mean really, what's wrong with that...is their any problem in the world two hot chicks together can't solve?? ;)

:kiss:

Good luck Mr. LIMP! I hope above all else, you get what YOU want! :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-14-2004, 01:53 PM
...is their any problem in the world two hot chicks together can't solve?? ;)

I don't think there are any problems two hot chicks can't solve, Deoxy, but i would love to see those negotation proceedings and problem solving sessions. ;)

I myself was at one time was overweight. Not to the extent that this gentleman is (less than 50 pounds) and even with that amount of extra weight on you, you do get a lot of flack and harrasment from people from time to time. There is a lot of crap in the media and in society that says that anybody who is overweight by any amount of pounds, it automatically makes them stupid, worthless and a waste of breath. This is one of the worst things about being overweight. Sure, it's uncomfortable to be chubby and it's not healthy, but we don't need a-holes cracking on overweight folks from every which end. I don't get why some folks have the need to criticize those who have this problem as the reasons for it range from genetics to medication to just being unable to control ones diet. If somebody chooses to live like this, it really isn't anybody elses business to judge or make comments.

I have since lost most of it and got about 10-12 more pounds to go, but i'm looking better and feeling better too. Did I lose the weight for anybody? No, just myself. I have more incentive to live longer and be comfortable than to worry about what some insecure schmuck has to say about me. Best of luck to ya, LIMP and Godspeed the results that you want!! :D

InsaneJediGirl
08-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Good luck LIMP.I hope it works out for you :)

I've started to creep back up,and when I hit my teenage years I started to put on the weight.So,I've got my butt back to riding the exercise bike(although with my regular chores,I get 30+ mins of the recommended exercise.Whats the deal?!) and cutting way back on my sugar intake,helps alot.That and not eating as much :D :crazed: Already had to give up caffine due to an allergy,and I think thats a plus in the direction of my 'changing habits'

2-1B
08-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Best wishes to you, LIMP, on this mission. You seem to have a good head on yer shoulders and I gotta believe that will help you in the long run.
Deo is absolutely right -- do it for yourself. And I'd also add that you should take whatever strength and support you can find in your friends and family and then basically say FU to anyone who doesn't care. Like the late (and great) Mr. George C. Scott said in the movie Angus, "SCREW 'EM !" :)

It makes me laugh when effed up people have the nerve to call ME abnormal or tell me I'm going to hell for liking to be with hot chicks

You know what that makes me do ? It makes me believe Bon Scott from AC/DC was right when he sang "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be." ;)

QLD
08-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes eveybody.

I imagine things will be fine, as the doctor is supposed to be the best in the southeast.

As far as the cost of it, I think it's around 20,000 for the procedure itself, not including hospital costs, and follow up care.

jjreason
08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Good luck, LIMP. I worked with a guy back in Ontario who had a similar procedure done - and the results (wrt weight loss) were good, he shed about 150 pounds in the first year. That being said, PLEASE pester your doctor as much as you can regarding the possible UNdesirable results. I'm talking about things like not being able to take normal sized bites of food (my friend had to cut every SUPER small, or else he'd risk getting blockages in the "new" part of his GI tract), some pretty serious levels of discomfort, risk of infection, etc. I don't want to rain on the parade, but just make sure you're beating them to death for every shred of info in advance - you're better off knowing now than finding out later.

Obesity (and yes, I'm bordering on that myself with only 5'9" in height and 225lbs on the go) is frustrating, and can often be linked with depression. We eat to feel better because it releases chemicals into our blood streams that "soothe" our stress and make us feel better. Very addictive, but tough at the same time: the bigger we get, the more depressed we feel. So we eat some more to feel better and get even bigger. The perfect negative feedback loop. I guess my point is that there's more than just a genetic component to this problem, each person's situation is unique.

Again, best wishes LIMP. I hope this won't take you out of fantasy baseball action before I get my chance to unseat you as the champ. ;)

Dr Zoltar
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Lando and jj,

I'm right there with you. I'm 5'9" and 230 lbs. I was as high as 265 but dropped 35 lbs. thanks to weight watchers. Now I exercise 30 minutes every day and have to watch what I eat. My grandmother was obese and my grandfather had a large waistline so I got lucky and inherited both. :cry: The crazy thing is my blood pressure is fine and so it my colesterol.

I've been heavy all my life and had to deal with those jerks in school who picked on you for being different. Got in many a fights until I reached high school.

For everyone reading this trying to lose weight, I applaud you. It's not easy and many folks who have never had a weight problem just don't understand the pain. Pain of ridicule, pain of being hungry all the time, and the pain of feeling that sometimes all the hard exercise you do is worthless.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-17-2004, 10:44 PM
The perfect negative feedback loop. I guess my point is that there's more than just a genetic component to this problem, each person's situation is unique.

Absolutely, it's like any addiction ie: cigarrettes...I used to smoke...LOTS, especially when I was stressed out which was...LOTS! I did it because I thought it made me feel better, which in my brain it did. But crap, that stuff stinks and is SO bad for my health...I want to live a long time, see where humanity takes itself...will we figure out how to travel the speed of light?...faster? Will we learn how to break ourselves down molecule by molecule only to rebuild ourselves back up in a different location in a matter of seconds?? I want to see all of the things we will/can do, but I must be healthy to do this and that's why I quit and it's the same thing for obesity ...it's an addiction to food, it's unfortunately unhealthy (I gained a woppin 65 pounds in 2 months after quiting because food became my cigarettes but fortunately for me I have an extremely high metabolism and after I got over the cig addiction my eating habits balanced out but took LOTS of work to get the weight off!) and it's gonna take some major will power to get over it. To me, that was the key...I made up my mind "I want to be healthy so I must stop!" I think this society doesn't help for us either...Americans I believe are addicted to being addicted!
Soda, Heroine, Cigarettes, McDonalds, Cigars, Toys, TV, Sports....and on and on...all there for the taking and all things that help us forget our problems!
:dis:

dr_evazan22
10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
I had read an update article about this on my homepage a few weeks ago, but after rereading the first post here, it didn't seem to offer any new info. Two things prompted me to look this up, one being my friend of 20 years, Kim, having the procedure. The other was another article on my homepage about a 16 y/o 450lb kid also having the procedure donated after a hospital denied him because of insurance. See link.

Private facility to fund gastric bypass for teen (http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap10-14-121624.asp?t=apnew&vts=101420041230)

bobafrett
10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I have been up and down with my weight over the past 20 years. Each time I go up, I end up trying some diet, or workout program, lose the weight, then slowly creep back into my old habits (Pizza, cookies, Diet Pepsi, fast food). My son has been trying to work with me recently by going with me to the store, and helping me make wiser eating choices. Working out has almost become none exsistant as I work 70 hours a week (ironically, I am at the public library on my one day off, in my town which is about two blocks from the Y.M.C.A. where I work and have a free membership).

I know what you guys mean about having fun poked at ones self. I have a limp as a result of brain surgery I had when I was 8. Most people don't say anything, a few will ask why I walk with a limp (not L.I.M.P.), but a few really rude people have to immitate the limp, then point and/or laugh. I have lost my job once for shoving someone who did just that, now I just ignore those who have to act so childish.

As far as my weight, I'm about 5' 09" and 212 pounds. I have been trying to lose and have actually lost about 13 pounds. My main goal, to fit into my Stormtrooper armor like I did when I was 40 pounds lighter.

scruffziller
10-20-2004, 11:39 AM
However, I also have very bad eating habits that stem from growing up with them. When I was active, and playing football, it wasn't so bad. But once adulthood, and laziness set in, so did the weight.

Right on LIMP. I have been there with the weight thing and had to pull myself up by the boot straps and get myself on a walking program which has helped immensley, but hasn't cured the problem with gentics and other underline aliments that cause obesity. I've been keeping my weight at bay to a certain degree in which I have gotten under 299 pounds. Yea you can get lazy and eat alot but how the body processes it can make it very different for different body systems. I was reading an article about these children in the UK who have this diesease that if they don't eat like 7 times a day they will die because their metabolisms run so high. I would say that there can be people with conditions on the other side of the spectrum of that. My best friend that I have known most of my life also struggles with obesity and is quite up there beyond what I have ever been now. I just hope he can get himself to stay on his diets that he has done in the past(which worked for him great) and squash all his pain threshholds for exercise. He doesn't excercise because if it causes a little bit of pain he shys away from it.