PDA

View Full Version : Lucas critizing colorizing Three Stooges (merged)

JON9000
08-11-2004, 01:34 PM
In an interview with the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist."

Maybe George should take a little of his own advice! Leave works of art alone, even if they are your own!

Beast
08-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, and your point is what? This isn't the same sort of thing. The people colorizing the Stooges are not the people that created the shorts. Lucas created the universe, crafted the stories, and hired the directors who did ESB and ROTJ. Not to mention he also worked with both directors on the crafting and the evolution of the stories, so that they would stay true to his vision. He was on set as much as the directors, and it's a fact that he even filmed some of ROTJ himself. Whether he did some of ESB is uncertain. Either way, he has every right to alter his works because they are just that......his works. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Some of you will eat this up. :D

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/10/film.colorized.stooges.ap/index.html/?lucas

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas, who testified with Steven Spielberg before Congress in the 1980s against colorization and other forms of alteration, said the process yanks such slapstick performers as the Stooges out of the black-and-white universe they belong in. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was.

"But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. Because you're then thinking you're comparing apples to apples, when you're not. You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm saying it's not fair to the artist."

Beast
08-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Already being discussed. And you're misquoting slightly what he's saying. He's talking about the alterations of films that weren't created by the people who are doing the alteration. Such as the colorization of the Stooges shorts. The creators are no longer alive, and people who had no input on the creation of the shorts are now altering them. Where as Lucas created, wrote, hired, and worked closely with Kirshner and Marquand, and even reportedly filmed some of both films himself. They are his works, Kirshner and Marquand were hired to do a job for Lucas. He was even on the set nearly everyday, and basically was just as much a director as both men. He just didn't handle the chore himself due to all the stress he went through making A New Hope. :)

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24919

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Knightfall
08-11-2004, 07:33 PM
You sound like Rick McCallum.

Beast
08-11-2004, 07:38 PM
No, I sound like someone who supports the rights of the artist. To sound like Tricky Ricky McCallum, I'd have to include a few F-Bombs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LusiferSam
08-11-2004, 08:13 PM
This clown happily screws this "his" movies, but criticizes others went they do the way same thing. That a boy George, you tell them

Yes, and your point is what? This isn't the same sort of thing.
It is the same thing and you just don't see it that way. That's the point.

Beast
08-11-2004, 08:56 PM
No, it's not. Lucas is altering his works, his movies. The ones that he dreamed up, wrote, and had made. He's the artist applying brush strokes to his works, and it's within the rights of the artist to do so. In the case of the Stooges, someone who only owns the rights, and had nothing to do with the production of them, is colorizing the shorts. Totally different. Which is why Lucas, Speilburg, etc. speak out about the alteration of movies by the studios or by people who didn't create them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I posted this story this morning in the SSG news, I saw it yesterday on IMDB's studio briefing but didn't have time to do the news post then so I saved it. I didn't put any spin or correlation to the OT in the story at all, yet I've already heard back from someone - who normally is all rosy about such things - about how hypocritical it is of Lucas to say what he did in light of his SEs and now DVD changes to SW.

1) Lucas was basically the studio in terms of ESB and ROTJ, he didn't MAKE those films or even WRITE those films, he crafted a general outline for 'em and paid for 'em to be made. He only stepped to direct a few pieces of ROTJ because he felt Marquand wasn't doing that well (and apparently Lucas had a lot of the stuff directed by another director's assistant); and was totally hands-off with ESB.

2) The only reason the Stooges shorts weren't in color is because at that time color stock was well beyond their budgets. I've read time and time again that every studio wanted everything to be shot on color as much as possible because that's what they thought audiences wanted to see, but that color filmstock was prohibitively expensive to all but the biggest budget films.

3) Lucas' main argument here is that by offering colorization, even only as an OPTION, it takes the film out of its cinematic historical context which is unfair to the new audience. THIS IS THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL COMMENT HE COULD HAVE MADE in light of his continual alterations of the Star Wars Classic Trilogy. It is positively ludicrous for Lucas to suggest that the artists of the Stooges are harmed by offering a colorization option to a pair of DVDs, while on other occasions outrageously suggesting that the artists that made Star Wars are NOT harmed when he forces permanent, far more reaching changes to the Star Wars trilogy.

btw, I've moved this thread to the Classic Trilogy forum because that's where the discussion has its best merit, and also because the Stooges aren't really a TV show anyway.

JON9000
08-11-2004, 09:20 PM
JarJarBinks,

On his deathbed, Vergil asked that the Aeneid, which he wrote and was his creation, be destroyed. The intervention of Augustus saved the work, and it has become a pillar of western literature.

get my point? :)

(I won't spell it out any more clearly, because JT pretty much summed it up.)

I will further one of JT's points, however. Films are the works and creations of many people. GL may have more to do with it than anybody else, but out of respect to the other artists and creators involved, perhaps he is should leave well enough alone.

Beast
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
He payed those people to do a job. Tweaking his films isn't requesting the money they be paid returned. And it's not destroying the original versions, it's just not re-issuing the original versions. You have them on VHS and Laserdisc, and they've been available for nearly two decades for those that wanted them. Back to the point, in my opinion it didn't disrespect their work at all. Anymore then replacing a standin' with a CGI creation during post. If it did, Irvin Kirshner wouldn't have said that the SE was fine in his eyes. And wouldn't be appearing with Lucas on the ESB DVD.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 10:56 PM
He payed those people to do a job.That's your argument?!? By that merit then, every studio should be able to colorize, alter content of, and do whatever they wish with their films because they PAID those artists to make them. How is Lucas any different from a studio in this regard? He's not.

And it's not destroying the original versions, it's just not re-issuing the original versions. You have them on VHS and Laserdisc, and they've been available for nearly two decades for those that wanted them.And offering colorized OPTIONS on these DVDs which, unlike Lucas' SW OT, also offers them in their original classic format doesn't destroy the original Stooges shorts as well. They've been on TV and on VHS for years, so your argument has changed nothing except to further point out how hypocritical Lucas' claim is. If he's right about the Stooges, it is hypocritical to say it doesn't equally apply to Star Wars as well; conversely, if it doesn't apply to SW then how can Lucas say it applies to the Stooges???

BTW, besides the costs of color filmstock, films of the '40s and '50s that were shot in color had to pay outrageous licensing fees to Technicolor as well as pay consulting fees to the owner's wife who mostly didn't do ANYTHING.

LusiferSam
08-12-2004, 02:00 AM
As a hobby I paint. And as a painter I feel that one of George Lucas maxims applies to me: Painting aren't finished, they're abandoned. Once I've finished painting and signed my name to it, that's it, I'm done, no more can or should be done.

I have one piece I spend 9 of 16 months I worked on it fixing tiny areas that didn't get any paint the first around. The biggest of these patches wouldn't have been the size of a pin head, but I wanted them gone. 3 and half years after I finished it I'm still spotting very small spots I missed and wished I had gotten. But I'm done with the painting, I won't fix them.

Pick any great master. If one day, after 20 plus years of a work being on public display, that artist decides that the work needs fixing and makes hugh dramatic changes you'd have the art community and the public screaming bloody murder.

Why should it be any different for a film?

Deoxyribonucleic
08-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Hypocrite! :rolleyes:

That wizard's just a crazy old man! :crazed:

He's gone mad I think...doesn't know if he's coming or going! Must be the OCD eating his brain alive...they have medication for that George ;)

plasticfetish
08-12-2004, 04:34 AM
Pick any great master. If one day, after 20 plus years of a work being on public display, that artist decides that the work needs fixing and makes huge dramatic changes you'd have the art community and the public screaming bloody murder.

Why should it be any different for a film?We've had this discussion around here before, but you're right, it's no different.

When an artist shows his work, he has a few choices after it's first been made public. 1) He can keep it, wrap it up in paper and hide it in a dark place until he dies, and then his family can decide what to do with it. 2) He can sell it. It's not his anymore after that, it belongs to the collector/museum and the world. 3) He can fiddle with it, changing it as much as he wants -- but every time it changes, it becomes a new and totally different work of art. 4) He can destroy it.

Lucas is doing number 3 in order to be able to do number 2 to us time and time again. ;)

JEDIpartner
08-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Is the original studio the owner of the Stooges at this point? Did someone else buy up the properties and feel they have the right to change them? Just curious.

billfremore
08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I have very few problems with most of the changes that Lucas has made to the original trilogy.

I frequently argue that whether Lucas should change his movies or not by saying they are his, he can do whatever he wants with them and no level of campaigning, petitioning or general whining and complaining will change that.

But I do think that saying someone should not change something when he himself is changing movies does come off a little hypocritical.

I don't think the arguement is whether he has the right to do it, I think the arguement is he shouldn't be publicly condemning someone for doing something he is doing himself.

Droid
08-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Lucas' statement is very hypocritical. He should have said, "I have no problem with them changing the material as they see fit. They own it the way I own Star Wars."

At least with the Stooges they are still releasing them in their original formats for those who want them.

I liked the Special Editions and I imagine I will like this next version. I like seeing the six movies meld together seemlessly. I like seeing the Biggs scene on Yavin. I like seeing the Wampa. I'll like the Emperor being the same actor in Empire as he was in Empire. I like seeing Banthas out by the Sarlaac.

But I also like the versions I grew up. Han fired first. Luke didn't scream his way down the shaft in Cloud City. The Sarlaac was a PIT.

All in all I don't know if I was in charge if Lucas ever would have changed the movies. I don't know if the good changes outweigh the bad. And I know that everyone has their own likes and dislikes of the changes. But by releasing all versions on DVD it wouldn't matter. Watch what you want.

Lucas should make the original versions available. It is his right not to. But his claim that "THIS is STAR WARS". "THIS IS HOW I ALWAYS PICTURED IT." is nonsense. Once an artist releases a work to the world he or she loses the ability to call it his or hers. It then becomes a part of the public consciousness, open to everyone else's thoughts and interpretations. Lucas would remove Han firing first from our minds like George Orwell's 1984. Scary.

We are not weak minded, Lucas. You can't use the Jedi mind trick on us. We remember Han firing first.

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said before and in many instances said more eloquently, but this is my slant on it.

bigbarada
08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
I guess Lucas doesn't like it when people screw with a show he grew up with. Welcome to the club Mr. Lucas. :frus:

looploopoongy
08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
I prefer the original trilogy untouched... I'm just one of those people. I think G is a hypocrite. At least the stooges has BOTH color and B&W. I believe he will milk the special editions for all they are worth and then ten years or so later will release the original trilogy on DVD and hype it all up as the "Original Theatrical Release" or something and then everyone will go out and buy it too. I am willing to wait ten years, thanks.

Was that a run-on or is it just me?

Dark Marble
08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I am really with Droid here on the point that Lucas should give everyone a choice. The original untouched versions should be out there in the current media as well as the updated movies. Some will like both versions, some will like the old, some will like the new, but the choice should be there. I personally like the new and don't have a problem with any of the changes.

I grew up watching the Stooges and saw them in black and white and if I bought the new DVDs I would watch the black and white versions. But there is a choice, if some want to watch them in color that is good too. Is the face slapping eye poking goodness of the stooges lost in color? I don't think so but that is only my opinion.

Lucas said it long before Episode I came out, grab the original movies while you can because it will be the last time they will be available in the original format. Everyone should have taken him very serious when he said it but hindsight is 20/20. However, I think it is a great disservice to the fans not to offer the choice even though I support the new versions of the films. As far as the Stooges argument goes, if I were George Lucas I probably would have laid low on that one.

Turambar
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM

I've suspected the same thing for while, now, Knightfall.

Kidhuman
08-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Lucas is being very Hypocritical. How can he say something is wrong while he is doing it himself? Just anohter reason why I will not buy this round of DVD's.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2004, 11:50 AM
JJB, I couldn't have said it better myself. Even if you don't agree with Lucas' changes to HIS Classic Trilogy films, they are HIS to change. It's not as if he has added/deleted scenes to Apocolypse Now, they're films he himself made.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, Lucas does have the right to keep changing his films, even if the fans (whom many have taken "ownership" of the SW films for themselves) don't like them. Do I like every change made in the SE versions? No. Would I prefer that Lucas leave them alone once they've been made and released? Yes. Can I stop him? No, not even if I get together with thousands of fans who will boycott any new SW releases.

This is not hypocracy. It is an opinion that is similar to, but not exactly like, another issue. Now, if Ted Turner had said it, I'd have a little trouble with it(yeah, he bought the rights to those pre-colorized films, and therefore "owns" them, but he didn't create them).

Exhaust Port
08-13-2004, 02:13 PM
The reason I pulled out that quote was because he was hinting at something a lot of the OT purists have complained about. His argument was the colorisation of a movie might actually make a funny scene not funny only because the B&W stylized the image. The same has been said for what he did with the newer versions of the OT. He removed a lot of the clunky FX and replaced them with cleaner CGI. Yes a particular creature might look better but we fell in love with the earlier (now considered stylized) version of the movie.

Kidhuman
08-13-2004, 04:34 PM
. Can I stop him? No.

Well being with my logic gand reason, yes you can, if you wanted to murder someone. :) But in all reality I say no too.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I also found GL's statements a great dictionary example of "irony."

I agree with the notion that once an artist releases their work to the public, it's no longer theirs (except in the financial sense). I hate when authors go back and revise novels so that they aren't dated, and I hate when people monkey around with movies that have already been released. We can make the argument about "directors cuts" all we want, but no directors cut that I know of involves shooting new footage years after the film has been released.

If GL decided to reinsert the Biggs Tatooine footage, that would be considered a directors cut, and acceptable as one. Would I prefer it to the original version? I don't know?

JJBs assertion that anyone who wanted the original versions was warned and had plenty of opportunities to purchase them applies only to those of us who were fans back when that was an option. I'm sure there are plenty of SW fans who were not old enough to make this choice when it was available, as there are many fans not yet born. What happens if my own pre-school kids decide they like the original version best? When they are old enough to move out on their own, they'll be out of luck, because they can't have mine. Of course I might be out of luck when I can no longer replace my worn out VCR with a new model, because no one makes them anymore.

JTs comments about how the Three Stooges films were shot in b/w because color was not available to them is on par with Lucas redoing the effects using CGI because it was a tool not available to him back in 1976. When does he stop? Is he suddenly going to decide that Matt Damon is closer to how he envisioned Luke Skywalker, then replace all of Mark Hamill's preformance with a new actor?

I don't think he had a vision of what the entire series was going to be back when he made ANH. If he did, he wouldn't need to shoot all this new material to bridge narrative gaps and make things flow more cleanly between the movies. His statements that these movies were always about Darth Vader is nonsense. Vader is a supporting character, at best, in ANH, and besides which back in the 1980s, he'd made it clear that these movies were the story of R2-D2 and C-3PO, who have pretty much nothing to do in the PT.

I remember reading, I think it was in Wired, right before TPM came out, taht after ROTS, Lucas was just going to make experimental movies that no one would pay to see. He didn't lie. The way he keeps messing around with SW he is doing just that.

Turambar
08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=B'Omarr Monkey]JJBs assertion that anyone who wanted the original versions was warned and had plenty of opportunities to purchase them applies only to those of us who were fans back when that was an option. I'm sure there are plenty of SW fans who were not old enough to make this choice when it was available, as there are many fans not yet born. What happens if my own pre-school kids decide they like the original version best? When they are old enough to move out on their own, they'll be out of luck, because they can't have mine. Of course I might be out of luck when I can no longer replace my worn out VCR with a new model, because no one makes them anymore.

QUOTE]
The other problem with that assertion is that VHS technology is very outdated these days. The Trilogy needs to be kept on a format that is up to date. My old videos don't play nearly as smoothly as they once did, but I am not able to get new ones or update to DVDs.
The only options are to buy inferior versions being released that are not the story I remember, or go shopping in the bootleg market.

jawa9
08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Feels bad don't it George.

At least they give you a choice of watching the stooges in the original black & white. You, sir, have given the fans NO choice. We can not watch the original versions of the films on DVD. Our only choice is to see Greedo shoot first (The worst change of all in my opinion).

I agree that Lucas has the right to do whatever he wants to HIS creation. But there are some things that many feel you shouldn't change. It is a SHAME that the fans have no say in the matter. After all, isn't that what DVD's are for, the fan's?

CropDuster
08-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Wow, this is just like the jedi rocks (a.k.a. Rick McCallum sucks) thread. Once again JarJarBinks is the only one on the wrong side of the argument. Maybe he is actually George Lucas. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-15-2004, 02:10 AM
(a.k.a. Rick McCallum sucks)

Caesar's gonna be around here real soon too with that crack you just made.

;) :) :D

2-1B
08-15-2004, 02:48 AM
Is he suddenly going to decide that Matt Damon is closer to how he envisioned Luke Skywalker, then replace all of Mark Hamill's preformance with a new actor?

That's actually a GREAT idea ! :)

Caesar's gonna be around here real soon too with that crack you just made.

Here I am.

Ricky McSee is one cool mother******.
Come - Let us worship him.

bigbarada
08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
They are his works, Kirshner and Marquand were hired to do a job for Lucas. He was even on the set nearly everyday, and basically was just as much a director as both men. He just didn't handle the chore himself due to all the stress he went through making A New Hope. :)

During ESB's shooting Lucas only showed up twice. He never even went to Norway for the Hoth location shooting, he only stayed in touch with Kirschner by phone. Which gave Kirschner the ability to scrap ill-conceived scenes (like the Wampa attack on the Rebel base), and there was little Lucas could do about it.

Lucas also had little control over his staff and crew during the shooting of Star Wars in 1975-6. Even though he was hot off of his success with American Graffiti, he was still untested and inexperienced with big-budget films. Thus, he didn't really have that much influence over the ILM crew or his producers. Even the studio was threatening to take the production from him, if he didn't start producing a watchable movie.

Interesting that the two films Lucas had the least influence over turned out to be the best in the series. In my opinion, of course.

Turambar
08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Interesting that the two films Lucas had the least influence over turned out to be the best in the series. In my opinion, of course.

We can only imagine how different ROTJ would have been if Kirschner had gone ahead and directed it. That movie had so much potential, but only a few powerful scenes. I think Kirschner could have kept Lucas & McCallum at bay and really made a great film out of it.

bigbarada
08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
We can only imagine how different ROTJ would have been if Kirschner had gone ahead and directed it. That movie had so much potential, but only a few powerful scenes. I think Kirschner could have kept Lucas & McCallum at bay and really made a great film out of it.

Actually, Lucas originally approached David Lynch (creator of Twin Peaks) to direct ROTJ. Can you imagine what could have possibly come out of that?

But I do agree that Kirschner should have been the director for every film after ESB. However, he thinks for himself and Lucas can't have anyone like that on his staff.

billfremore
08-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Now before I get jumped for saying what I'm about to say let me make this clear before I start: this is not a defence of George Lucas.

Now that that's out of the way, why is the job Irvin Kershner did on Empire make him the director that should have done the rest?

Granted Empire is arguably the best of all but I think the work he did on Empire doesn't make him hands down the best director for all the Star Wars movies.

I think Empire was a combination of many things like most great movies are and they all come together perfectly to create something truly special. I think that Kershner was just a piece of that puzzle and not the lynchpin.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Granted Empire is arguably the best of all but I think the work he did on Empire doesn't make him hands down the best director for all the Star Wars movies.Well, I'd put him in my top three for SW directors. :p

I also agree that ESB is the best SW film (so far... make us proud SWE3:ROTS! ), but I think that's due to its subject matter, rather than its movie boss.

CropDuster
08-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Now before I get jumped for saying what I'm about to say let me make this clear before I start: this is not a defence of George Lucas.

Now that that's out of the way, why is the job Irvin Kershner did on Empire make him the director that should have done the rest?

Um, because he did the best directing job.

What other reason do you need to ascertain that Kirschner would have been the best director for the SW saga. Who did a better job? Lucas? HAHAHA!

billfremore
08-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Okay no argument there.

I think what I was trying to say was, one successful movie does not make someone perfectly suited for directing other movies.

JON9000
08-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Actually, Lucas originally approached David Lynch (creator of Twin Peaks) to direct ROTJ. Can you imagine what could have possibly come out of that?

In space, no one can hear you snore! :crazed:

JediTricks
08-20-2004, 02:11 AM
In space, no one can hear you snore! :crazed:
"Wing Commander" disproves that theory. Man, what a POS! I still feel like a dope for seeing it specifically for the TPM trailer. :p

plasticfetish
08-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Actually, Lucas originally approached David Lynch (creator of Twin Peaks) to direct ROTJ. Can you imagine what could have possibly come out of that?Yeah, one word -- Dune.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-22-2004, 01:38 AM
I really like David Lynch, put don't think that ROTJ would have been a good match with him, but boy would Jabba have been disgusting. I also bet the Jedi stuff would have been interesting.

Anyway, back to the point of this whole thread. Something I didn't mention in my previous post, is that not only is the original version of all three films, particularly ANH important for the groundbreaking SFX work that occurred in each movie, which is enough of a reason to make the original versions available, but Lucas changing them permanently, without the option of viewing previous versions does a disservice to all of the technicians who worked on those films and made them the successes that they were. Face it, if the SFX in ANH had not been at the level they were, that movie would not have become the icon that it is. Lucas owes it to those people to honor the work they did by keeping it available. What he's doing is tantamount to someone at Columbia Pictures deciding that a CGI Cyclops would be better than teh one Ray Harryhausen animated in 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and replacing it, then making sure that no one ever gets to see the Harryhausen version again.

I believe ANH is one of the films preserved by the Museum of Modern Art. I'm interested in finding out if Lucas will be confiscating their print and replacing it with the updated version---and, whether the Museum will still consider it a piece of art worthy of preservation.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-22-2004, 10:32 AM
I believe ANH is one of the films preserved by the Museum of Modern Art. I'm interested in finding out if Lucas will be confiscating their print and replacing it with the updated version---and, whether the Museum will still consider it a piece of art worthy of preservation.Actually, isn't it the SE version? I thought that when approached to save SW for that group, Lucas realized how deteriorated the film itself had become, and that's what led him to make the Special Editions. Unless both are there to show how fragile film is. Dunno.

JON9000
08-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Actually, isn't it the SE version? I thought that when approached to save SW for that group, Lucas realized how deteriorated the film itself had become, and that's what led him to make the Special Editions. Unless both are there to show how fragile film is. Dunno.
You know, pretty soon there there are going to be so many version of these movies we are going to have to start giving them names like ANHv.1.5.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-22-2004, 02:41 PM
I thought that Lucas didnT own the original star wars...Fox does...unless he bought the rights back? Anyone know??

It seems that the orignal SW would be at the museum. It would be cool to view a list of all the films they do have there! :glasses:

stillakid
08-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I thought that Lucas didnT own the original star wars...Fox does...unless he bought the rights back? Anyone know??

It seems that the orignal SW would be at the museum. It would be cool to view a list of all the films they do have there! :glasses:

I don't know for sure myself. At one time I thought CBS had the rights, but that may have just been for distribution, or just for television. Who knows. But judging from the tinkering he's doing, it's probably pretty safe to say that he owns ANH. But even if he doesn't, what studio (particularly FOX) is going to tell him "no" when it comes to "improving" the movies for DVD? For a studio, the more versions the better because they know that saps like us will buy them all.

JediTricks
08-22-2004, 11:19 PM
CBS Home Video only owned the home distribution rights, ANH remains owned by Fox. Fox has sold the TV syndication rights to Warner Brothers I believe, which is why the WB and TBS often air ANH:SE but since Fox doesn't own ESB or ROTJ, they don't get played with it.

I don't remember why the SW original print was discovered to be deteriorating in that vault where Fox put it, I'm sorta remembering that it was discovered only after other films in the vault had been found self-destructing and they went through them all to assess the damage.

I think pre-SE ANH was actually released on DVD once, in a mega-expensive, super-limited box set from 5 years ago or so along with like 40 other film classics, it was a set from the AMPAS and very very exclusive.

evenflow
08-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I fin dit pretty funny that he doesnt liek them colorizing them. Maybe he should look in the mirror and realize he is doing the same thing that he doesn't like others doing.