PDA

View Full Version : Spider-man 2

darthvyn
08-11-2004, 05:32 PM
i searched and searched, and can't believe i found bubkiss in the way of a spider-man 2 game thread...

this game is, in a word, AMAZING! the way they made the city completely explorable is awesome. the free-flowing gameplay is so cool, and the fact that bruce campbell is the narrator again just makes the game! i'm playing it on the 'cube, and it looks great. really fun, too. definitely has replay value, or maybe just extended play value...

it's just fun to be spidey, and crawl to the top of the empire state building!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-22-2004, 02:50 AM
Yeah, i noticed the lack of a SM2 game thread here too, but i've been blabbing about it over at LOTRG! anyway, yeah, this game is AWESOME and to me, never gets old. I know some folks are complaining that the regular everyday missions are kinda repetitive, but that to me just adds to the fun of this game as the regular missions are the actual regular everyday crap Webhead would have to deal with!! :crazed:

I got the game the day before the flick came out and beat it in early Aug. All i've been doing is swinging around the city and doing random missions at a whim. I'm about 60% done with it. at first, i sucked at those boat missions, but i'm slowly getting better. Though, occasionally, i blow it or fall in the water while i'm carrying the person.

I've also got a lot of the rewards and am doing the MJ and Daily Bugle missions, which are a great exercise in web slinging and patience!!

All in all, i still play this game regularly. something about just web slinging around the city just makes me giggle with nerd glee! :crazed:
I love this game! :D

darthvyn
08-22-2004, 05:00 PM
hell yeah! i love just stopping thiefs and car jackers and such. the balloon rescues are funny, too! i want to snag a balloon and just keep it with me, but i always feel bad and have to bring it back to the kid...

i love bruce campell's narration and advice blurbs. hysterical!

the trick with the boats is to charge your jump, and hold down the left shoulder button, then release ONLY the jump, and direct yourself with the stick in the direction you want to go. it's a low long jump, as opposed to a high shallow jump. it's tough but once you get the hang of it, it's cool.

so you're doing the MJ and bugle missions, but what about joe's pizza!??? there's pizzas that need delivering, and you've got do deliver 'em!

i beat doc ock, and now i'm in the chapter "the first day of the rest of your life"

hango fett
09-06-2004, 11:19 AM
i have beaten the game. well, not all the challenges, but i am in the second day of the rest of your life and have the LV. 8 web speed upgrade which i think is the highest you can get. it is a great game..it got extremly frustrating at parts when i keept getting killed at the same spots. but, now i beat all the bosses and kick robbers buts on a regular basis!!!
HF

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm about 72% done with the game. Yesterday i went on a hunting spree and got about 25 of the CHALLENGE MARKERS. I have ALL the upgrades and combos, so the spidey store is now useless to me.

As for the MJ mission, i'm stuck in mission 9 as i can't get there in time and for the pizza, I just beat 9 yesterday (after weeks of effort) and i haven't tried #10 yet. For the bugle, i'm still stuck on the assignment when you have to head down to that construction site. I can usually get most of the pics, but when you have to climb to the top, spidey just keeps going in circles around the pole; argh!!!!

Does anybody know how many MJ, pizza and bugle missions there are?!?!? :D

darthvyn
09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
i haven't played it in a while, because i got simpson's road rage recently, but i'm going to have to pop it back in soon.

those battle tank-suits really whoop my butt all over the place, but other than that, things are cool. i'm on the "second day" level... got almost all the buoys, a lot of the skyscraper tokens, and did some of the bugle, mj and pizza missions...

i might have to go play right now...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-06-2004, 11:59 PM
darth- here is a tip for those suit things: when they first spot you, run behind a building a bit so that you're like a fwe feet from the corner of it. They are going to try to blow you away, but they usually just shoot one another depending on how they're standing. With or even 2 out of the way, it's far easier to kill'em. Also, you acn do the random missions (purple icon thing on your map) while those are around. This way, you keep your health high. best of luck! :D

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 12:31 AM
After thinking about this game for a while, I finally decided to buy it this week, and after checking the price at TRU ($30) and Target ($30) I found it at WM in the "Greatest Hits" packaging for $20, so I bought it. Spider-man has been one of my favorite superheroes of all time, and his web-action has always been a major part of that, this game blows me away with that element, when I first was swinging about I was smiling like an idiot for hours. Everything else is just something to do to justify swinging about New York. Bruce Campbell's narration is fun, although I found a hint where it won't kick in, but he's got a great presence.

I've only just beaten Rhino, I haven't entirely gotten the rhythm of the spide-sense dodging down yet, but it's already been a real gas. I can't stop playing in part because I can't NOT help the people on the street, what Peter Parker goes through I suppose. I was having a really hard time saving the guy who is dangling from the ledges, I'd usually overshoot or swing the wrong way or instead of sticking to the wall I'd run, but I've finally gotten that working. The little girl's balloon I'm still pretty bad at, I rarely bother.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-04-2005, 12:40 AM
glad to hear you picked it up, JT. I haven't played it in some time thanks to MVP 2004, but It's been calling to me since I watched Sm2 a few times on cable. I know what you mean about the missions though: it's impossible NOT to help folks!! The balloons ones are cake once you get a hang on how to do them. You have to grab them, don't use web! I just usually get above the balloon, jump, use my spidey slow mo and grab it. Or i just climb on a building and jump to it. Those boat missions are still going to kick me in the a--, i know it. :crazed: hope ya enjoy it!

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 02:16 AM
The first balloon I came across, I webbed it to death. :D After that, I've been jumping around them, never thought to use Spidey-Reflex mode though, mainly they fly well up out of my jumping range, very frustrating. I've only done 1 boat mission, but it was no problem for me, I even jumped onto a nearby buoy afterwards for the buoy point.

One of the first things I did in the game was to web onto the helicopter and let it take me around, that was fun but I didn't try any advanced moves like running off buildings while holding on.

mabudonicus
07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying it JT, it truly is an awesome game
I have been hung up on the second fight with Doc Ock- the train one wasn't too bad once I got the concept figured out, but it seems like there is no way to "trick" ones way through the second duel

It's cool when the sun sets, the neon looks awesome from way up high, and as others have said, "being" spidey is really comic-book fun, it was really cool how you just start to "get" the web swinging thing, almost like it would be in real life no doubt (it helps that Bruce goads you like mad if you spend too much time on the ground)
The dialogue throughout the game is really well done, too, it's almost like watching the WHOLE movie rather than the "edited so it isn't 40+ hours long" version presented in theatres.

Keep your ears open for a quote from "all your base" too, I laughed myself silly when that popped up :beard:

Rocketboy
07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm stuck on the Doc Ock in the warehouse (the final one?). And I've been there for ages. I just love swinging around the city and helping people. Sure, there are only like 6 or 7 different crimes, but it never gets old to me.

I hate saving people from the sinking boat - I always missjump and fall in the water, failing my mission.
And I pop the baloons on purpose. That kid drives me crazy.

JediTricks
07-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, having done a few more boat missions, I can safely say BAH!!! Man, I really hate these, I didn't even realize I had to double-jump to get the extra distance, and then getting them off the boat half the time I end up jumping a split-second too late and walking off the boat by accident since that railing isn't "there" physically.

Doc Ock's lab was REALLY hard for me, that force field going in and out was just a nightmare, I spent 30+ minutes on it, trying to swing from section to section, run, jump, web-zip, and even crawl on the walls and ceilings into little pockets where the field wouldn't go. Ultimately, I ended up using mostly swings, but it was a real beast of a scene.

Fighting Mysterio through his first 2 parts was pretty nifty, the Statue of Liberty thing was a little confusing because I wasn't sure what to do, and then I couldn't really get to where I was going, but it ended up a satisfying fight. The battle afterwards was a real goof, but I'm still not sure how I beat the hall of mirrors, I got killed there 4 or 5 times before I broke the right mirrors, each time I used the same strategy too.

Fighting Doc Ock in the bank was crazy, the first time through I had no problems but when I got to the next room, one of his henchmen ended up glitching into a wall so I couldn't defeat him and move on, I had to save and reload which took me back to battling Ock and he and his goons killed me 2 or 3 times. I spent another 3 passes trying to catch up to his helicopter, but saving Aunt May once I did was total cake.

Having "bought" more moves and web-swing speed, the game is really coming along and feels like living in the Spidey universe. As Mabs said, the learning curve on web swinging feels like how it must be for Peter Parker, which is a great piece of immersion. I love the swinging and the moves in it, I could do this all day, but I'm still not as precise as I'd like to be, though I never get hurt by falling.

Rocketboy
07-06-2005, 12:40 AM
I could do this all day, but I'm still not as precise as I'd like to be, though I never get hurt by falling.Then you ain't swingin' high enough!

For kicks, take a flying leap off the Empire State Building...and splat!

mabudonicus
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah, when spidey falls far enough to outright DIE it is damn funny- there is one sequence (if you fall feet-first) where he hits the ground and there's this sickening CRUNCH sound as every bone in his body breaks then he sorta slumps over dead, it cracks me right up seeing that

JT somehow I beat Ock in the bank on the first try, it totally blew my mind as I wasn't even totally sure what I was doing and I just kicked his butt
The lab board- the main trick to it (which took me a LONG time to figure out) is that there is no real "time limit" so much- the pulsations of the sphere are in a sequence that changes with each terminal you destroy, once you get the timing down it's actually pretty easy til the last one when the bolts get real thick

Sinking boat- a big MEH from me too, I have never even come close to actually winning on of them, so I just stay FAR away from the water ;) (Bruce isn't kidding in that little "find what you like and do it- all things aren't for all people" speech)

Rocketboy (and JT I guess) the warehouse vs. Ock is so DAMN difficult- falling on the heels of the train fight, too- the first time I don't think I had a ghost of a chance with only a bit of life left, and every time after that it didn't get much easier

The we upgrades get pretty spectacular- I like that "manhattan triple" thing, the totally non-combat flourish
And JT- you WILL get better at the spider-dodge- as a helpful hint it is the ONLY way to beat Ock on the train (I wasn't too happy to find that out, I still hadn't gotten too good with it by the time I got there, so be warned)

Rocketboy
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah, when spidey falls far enough to outright DIE it is damn funny- there is one sequence (if you fall feet-first) where he hits the ground and there's this sickening CRUNCH sound as every bone in his body breaks then he sorta slumps over dead, it cracks me right up seeing thatThat noise is both hilarious and sickening. It's like a horrible wet snap and Spidey flops around for sec.

JT somehow I beat Ock in the bank on the first try, it totally blew my mind as I wasn't even totally sure what I was doing and I just kicked his buttI beat bank Doc Ock the first time too. I thought it was pretty easy actually.

Sinking boat- a big MEH from me too, I have never even come close to actually winning on of them, so I just stay FAR away from the water ;) Thats the only one I don't have the award for yet. So annoying.

Rocketboy (and JT I guess) the warehouse vs. Ock is so DAMN difficult- falling on the heels of the train fight, too- the first time I don't think I had a ghost of a chance with only a bit of life left, and every time after that it didn't get much easierI thought the train was easy also, but that warehouse Doc stomps me stupid every time. I get through the first half without much of a problem. They need a few powerups somewhere. The tips I've read say to use the Spidey sense, but that doesn't really help me. Once I got him pretty low.

The we upgrades get pretty spectacular- I like that "manhattan triple" thing, the totally non-combat flourish
And JT- you WILL get better at the spider-dodge- as a helpful hint it is the ONLY way to beat Ock on the train (I wasn't too happy to find that out, I still hadn't gotten too good with it by the time I got there, so be warned)With all the random crimes and stuff that I keep doing, I'm almost at 30,000 hero points and have purchased all the possible upgrades (so far). I love using the spin kick when fighting a group of thugs.

mabudonicus
07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
That noise is both hilarious and sickening. It's like a horrible wet snap and Spidey flops around for sec.
Now I'm hoping JT has the nerve to let Spidey fall to certain doom in order to get his thoughts on this one :beard:

JediTricks
07-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Then you ain't swingin' high enough!

For kicks, take a flying leap off the Empire State Building...and splat!Oh, I've done that, though my instincts usually save him at the last second, it took me 4 tries to not save Spidey the first time. :D I am up to web swing level 7 now, and I find it's almost too much, I have to really scale back on the height for some stuff like pizza delivery and such because I just overshoot everything.

Yeah, when spidey falls far enough to outright DIE it is damn funny- there is one sequence (if you fall feet-first) where he hits the ground and there's this sickening CRUNCH sound as every bone in his body breaks then he sorta slumps over dead, it cracks me right up seeing that I like the one where he slumps backwards and dies, that looks awful. :D

Now I'm hoping JT has the nerve to let Spidey fall to certain doom in order to get his thoughts on this one :beard: Oh, definitely, I had to see it for myself when I first started. The sound is a goof, it reminds me of GTA:San Andreas when you send Carl off something high sans parachute (he bleeds when he impacts to death though, which is better ;)).

The lab board- the main trick to it (which took me a LONG time to figure out) is that there is no real "time limit" so much- the pulsations of the sphere are in a sequence that changes with each terminal you destroy, once you get the timing down it's actually pretty easy til the last one when the bolts get real thick Yeah, I figured that part out, it was the getting past it that I still had trouble with even at the end. Oh, and the control closest to you when it starts, that one ALWAYS will get you smacked (unless you hit it last), the field expands as soon as you hit it I guess.

Sinking boat- a big MEH from me too, I have never even come close to actually winning on of them, so I just stay FAR away from the water ;) I've done at least 5 of them successfully now, mostly the ones that are closest to the water, the double-jump towards the boat is crucial (though I overshot 1 boat today). I came across 1 where you had to jump onto a buoy to get to the boat, that one was awful, I sent the first fool right into the drink on purpose just to be done with it.

Rocketboy (and JT I guess) the warehouse vs. Ock is so DAMN difficult- falling on the heels of the train fight, too- the first time I don't think I had a ghost of a chance with only a bit of life left, and every time after that it didn't get much easier I did those this morning, the train was fairly hard, I did end up using the dodge for about half of it, the rest I just took the hits and used spider-reflex mode to help out. The warehouse battle though, that one felt like it was going to be endless, turning off those switches alone was a nightmare at first, especially since one is right at the water's edge and you die if you fall in. After getting all the switches, I really didn't want to fight Ock at all but I knew if I saved and came back I'd have to redo the switches, so after about 4 passes of figuring out what worked and what didn't, I changed my entire strategy to something I was REALLY bad at using most of the time - the swinging cannonball kick (webswing into kick, I always get that one too high to hit anybody, and it's one of the easiest, earliest moves too) - that strategy was SO much better than trying to web all 4 tentacles, I brought him into one of the side rooms for a more contained battle, the first time I tried it I got mashed up and died after trying a few other things, but the second time I just kept plowing into him and he didn't even take off 1/3 of my life points.

I kinda wish there were more supervillains after Ock, I've only gotten about 15k points on the First Day part, it's a lot of fun but those stupid armored robo suits and their missiles are so far pretty difficult, I've taken down 3 sets and they've killed me twice. Even without more story stuff, it's still a great game for me, so hard to stop playing.

I hear there's a comic Spidey game coming soon that uses the same swinging system but has Venom and more stuff like that. I think I like the "reality" of this one which is part of it, but if they can do something great there, I'll be there.

mabudonicus
07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I kinda wish there were more supervillains after Ock
I'm no too sure about it, but the credits mention Calypso (and someone else who's name escapes me right now) so I am not sure if there isn't at least one more boss out there later

Eternal Padawan
07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Have you ever just kinda followed one of the kids after you give them back thier balloons? I thought the guy that thanks you is the parent, but if you stay their long enough, the adult walks away and the kid just starts skipping down the street (sometimes into traffic!!) by themselves. i followed this one kid like twenty blocks and into the middle of the night before I got bored and left. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?!?

Rocketboy
07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
it's a lot of fun but those stupid armored robo suits and their missiles are so far pretty difficult, I've taken down 3 sets and they've killed me twice.The armored robots are actually pretty easy. Just get behind them. They turn around way too slow, so you can just sit there and beat the tar our of them from behind.

Even without more story stuff, it's still a great game for me, so hard to stop playing.Tell me about it. We need a Spider-man 2 Anonymous group.

I hear there's a comic Spidey game coming soon that uses the same swinging system but has Venom and more stuff like that. I think I like the "reality" of this one which is part of it, but if they can do something great there, I'll be there.I was just thinking about how flippin' sweet something like that would be. I hope it's true and they put more random crimes in.

Eternal Padawan
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The latest issue of Wizard has a few screen shots from that new Ultimate Spiderman game. They use Cel-Shading technique so it looks like Bagley's artwork coming to life. Bendis was heavily involved in the story and the dialogue and he mentioned you play for part of the game as Venom. You also get to hang out in Queens, as well as Manhattan, and there is defintiley a more free flowing go anywhere aspect to the game. Should be pretty sweet.

Rocketboy
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Saw the box for it at at EB tonight. It says it'll be out in September.
And as Eternal Padawan said, you play as both Spidey and Venom.

Hopefully its as fun as Spidey 2.

JediTricks
07-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Mabs, interesting, very interesting, I'll watch for more bosses. In the game, there was mention of a Latverian diplomat Peter was supposed to photograph for the Bugle, but the mission intentionally sidetracks you away, I was hoping to battle Dr Doom. :D

Have you ever just kinda followed one of the kids after you give them back thier balloons? I thought the guy that thanks you is the parent, but if you stay their long enough, the adult walks away and the kid just starts skipping down the street (sometimes into traffic!!) by themselves. i followed this one kid like twenty blocks and into the middle of the night before I got bored and left. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?!?I saw that non-parent adult thing today, that weirded me out, but I didn't follow the kid. I finally figured out I could lock-on the camera to the balloon, that made it somewhat less of a pain. As for where their parents are, it's New York, they're obviously in a coffee house or smoking crack or something. :evil:

The armored robots are actually pretty easy. Just get behind them. They turn around way too slow, so you can just sit there and beat the tar our of them from behind. I have been doing that, but it only really works well when there's 1 robo suit left. Sometimes, getting rid of the other suits is easy, just stand behind a corner and let the suits shoot the suits ahead of them until the die, but sometimes the terrain doesn't provide this.

Tell me about it. We need a Spider-man 2 Anonymous group. That'd suggest we're trying to give it up. I certainly am not. :D

I was just thinking about how flippin' sweet something like that would be. I hope it's true and they put more random crimes in. Yeah, more of those crimes, and vary the dang order, this game has pretty much the same routine over and over, get guy to hospital, guy on ledge, car chase, etc..

Bendis was heavily involved in the story and the dialogue and he mentioned you play for part of the game as Venom. A buddy of mine says that when you're Venom, you get to eat random people on the street for health, you just absorb them into the inky blackness. I'm not a fan of the alien aspects of Spider-man, but that does sound cool.

Today, I did more of the helping people stuff, and tried out some of the MJ, Pizza, and Bugle missions. I friggin' failed a Bugle mission though, what the hell kind of things does Robby think Peter can do, bend time and gravity?!? He wants Pete to get to the top of a tall crane above an empty frame of a building, get other shots, and get back to the Bugle in 3 minutes - I know, 3 "hours" in the game or something, but still, c'mon!!! And I saved another boat of people, as well as dumping a second boat of people in the drink, I expected I was getting close to the award limit of 25... turns out I've done just 5 successfully! :mad: Boy was I steamed.

Rocketboy
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
That'd suggest we're trying to give it up. I certainly am not. :DThe first step is admitting that you have a problem.

JediTricks
07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
My problem is only that I don't have enough time in the day to play Spider-man 2 as much as I want. :D

General_Grievous
07-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Have you ever just kinda followed one of the kids after you give them back thier balloons? I thought the guy that thanks you is the parent, but if you stay their long enough, the adult walks away and the kid just starts skipping down the street (sometimes into traffic!!) by themselves. i followed this one kid like twenty blocks and into the middle of the night before I got bored and left. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?!?

What I love doing is punching the lost balloon in mid-air. Hearing the kid cry is priceless! :D :evil:

JediTricks
07-12-2005, 02:19 AM
You can punch it? Didn't know that, I webbed one today because it got out of my reach and that was satisfying. ;) I also picked up all the hideout tokens, that was pretty cool because unlike the buoy or skyscraper tokens, these felt like a genuine part of Spidey's life. I also figured out that you can see the skyscraper tokens on the big map, so I picked up most of those. I pulled off that horrible Bugle mission I had been suffering over, where Spidey has to take pics of the steel frame of a building, turns out the next one after that is even less possible though (just not enough time to hit all those buildings, Robbie Robertson is a slavedriving taskmaster and I'd love to web him up by his toes and use him for a punching bag :p). I also finally got past the round 2 of timed goons in the Fight Arena, but haven't gotten past round 3.

mabudonicus
07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Robbie Robertson is a slavedriving taskmaster and I'd love to web him up by his toes and use him for a punching bag
man, reading that made me giggle :D
I was kinda surprised at how "exclusive" the Bugle wants the Parker Pics to be- how important could that series of building shots even have BEEN considering that they had to be done in like 2 minutes???? I didn't see anything too important in any of the ones I was taking, and I darn near got killed just attempting to snap them.....
I think Robbie just may be the actualy villain in the ("sorry Pete, I can't help you" my butt) game- good work JT!!

Rocketboy
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
You can punch it? Didn't know that, I webbed one today because it got out of my reach and that was satisfying. ;) I pop 'em just because I hate hearing the kid's annoying happy chants.
"Hooray for Spidey man!" "I'll never let me baloony go again!"
Made myself anygry just typing that...

I also picked up all the hideout tokens, that was pretty cool because unlike the buoy or skyscraper tokens, these felt like a genuine part of Spidey's life. I also figured out that you can see the skyscraper tokens on the big map, so I picked up most of those. I'm still short 3 hideout tokens. I try and go into every red zone, but never find any. And the skyscraper tokens seem to have disappeared on me. For the life of me I can't find anymore.
I also finally got past the round 2 of timed goons in the Fight Arena, but haven't gotten past round 3.Are you talking about the Mysterio goon fight in the arena, or is there something I've totally missed?

Rocketboy
07-12-2005, 11:16 AM
So, what are some of your general stats?

Gameplay time - 41:35:01
Percent game complete - 72.64%
Hero points - 305,560
Total hero points gained - 364,350
All 213 hint markers found
Secret tokens found - 36/75
Skyscraper tokens found - 136/150
Hideout tokens found - 34/37
Bouy Tokens - 59/130
Distance traveled - 1029.784 miles
Fastest speed - 216 MPH
Big Drop - 1493 ft

mabudonicus
07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Gonna have to check mine out when next I turn on my PS2- in this dastardly heat I have to be real careful how many things I have "on" at one time :beard:
And I imagine that JT is talking the Mysterio bit- the one where you get yer first look at another upcoming baddie in the form of one of the criminals- IIRC the third segment of that one was a bit on the difficult side, where you had to do that web-grab and drop business.
Man, I should really pop this game in this evening when I'm done sweating :D

General_Grievous
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh, besides Robbie, there's someone else who's getting on my freakin' nerves after I've beaten the game-Mary Jane. Every time you go over to her apartment, she always has something to say, like "Peter, we're still meeting for a movie at 7:00" and you're given two minutes to go across the damn city to meet her. WTF?? Does she have amnesia or something? Mind you, these missions only happen after you beat the game, so she already knows Peter is Spidey. And once you get there, she says stuff like "Oh! You're not late! I'm surprised!". What, MJ, no "Oh, sorry I made you rush for me, Peter. I know you have more important things to do like saving lives." Wow. I wonder who was asleep on the job when they were editing the game.

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Mabs, keep in mind, that's 2 hours in the game universe. Still, photos of an empty construction site doesn't seem like that important of a job to me, yet the guy acts like he's totally on your side. Just inexcusable! :p

Rocketboy, the one I loathe the most is "balloons float, and sometimes, they pop!", makes me want to turn around and do a spidey-reflex stairs-kick on the little monster. But I find that they're a fairly easy way to get health back up.

I'm still short 3 hideout tokens. I try and go into every red zone, but never find any. And the skyscraper tokens seem to have disappeared on me. For the life of me I can't find anymore. I was missing about half the hideouts, so I did a grid-search from the southern end of the island all the way up to the top (most of the ones I missed were near the top), going every block or 2 and swinging east to west, then going up 1 more block or so and going west to east, it worked perfectly. As for skyscrapers, I am up to 127 but like you they seem to have dried up on me. I'm now doing the hints simply because they're fun to listen to BC talk and they're on the freakin' map.

Are you talking about the Mysterio goon fight in the arena, or is there something I've totally missed? Well, timed round 1 was weak punks, that was cake; round 2 was tougher punks with guns; round 3 is now punks with machine guns, Mysterio's bop-bag goons, his martian robot goons, Shocker's goons, and Ock's goons - I haven't been able to beat it in the 1:40 they gave me. After this, I hear there's some endurance rounds and then you get to boss & goon rounds.

Some of my stats from memory:
31:03 gameplay time
completed - just around 70%
skyscraper tokens - 127/150
fastest speed - a whopping 262 mph (which I haven't been able to beat yet, it's been that speed for a while, not even sure how I did it)

Mabs, sorry to hear about the heat. I gave up and just decided to blow my electric bill wide open by using the A/C. I can't play my PS2 without it since it's a newer model and doesn't even have a built-in fan.

Oh, besides Robbie, there's someone else who's getting on my freakin' nerves after I've beaten the game-Mary Jane. Every time you go over to her apartment, she always has something to say, like "Peter, we're still meeting for a movie at 7:00" and you're given two minutes to go across the damn city to meet her. WTF?? Does she have amnesia or something? Mind you, these missions only happen after you beat the game, so she already knows Peter is Spidey. And once you get there, she says stuff like "Oh! You're not late! I'm surprised!". What, MJ, no "Oh, sorry I made you rush for me, Peter. I know you have more important things to do like saving lives." Wow. I wonder who was asleep on the job when they were editing the game. Actually, you can access MJ missions from pretty early on, I did the first 2 early on before I realized they weren't actually part of the story line. She really should be more understanding though, but I guess this is why she and Pete aren't already a couple. I haven't loathed her missions as much as Robbie's simply because hers are pass or fail within a minute while his take forever just to find out you failed, and I have pushed more than 1 to the last second getting to Betty Brant's desk (again, I did those near-failures early when I didn't realize they weren't compulsory and didn't have high swing speed). MJ's definitely have been frustrating, but Robbie's have made me want to smash things. :Ogre:

General_Grievous
07-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Another low point in the game is the whole thing with Mysterio. After getting on my nerves with his damn illusions and pyrotechnics, I wanted to beat the living crap out of him. When that chance finally comes at that small 7-11 store he tries to rob, he goes out after one punch. WHAT?? I wanted to beat him to oblivion and back and just take out all my frustration on him, and he goes down in just ONE HIT? I wish there was a Mysterio boss fight. Man, not even Shocker went down that easy, and he's probably the lamest Spider Man villain ever!

mabudonicus
07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
The 7-11 robbery was a fun twist- I had just resigned myself to the fact that youneverwould really get to pound him out, and then that mission popped up- I made sure I was at full health and stuff expecting a real slobberknocker, and as I moved in to confront him POOF that's it....
It wasa funny touch, I thought, since Spidey wrecked all of Mysterios good equipment, he was left with the classic "stick 'em up" and little else.. still would have been fun to nail him good for all that tricky business at the Statue of Liberty though :beard:

And has anyone actually SEEN Calypso yet?? She is credited, but I haven't seen so much as a mention of her in tha game itself....

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Another low point in the game is the whole thing with Mysterio. After getting on my nerves with his damn illusions and pyrotechnics, I wanted to beat the living crap out of him. When that chance finally comes at that small 7-11 store he tries to rob, he goes out after one punch. WHAT?? I wanted to beat him to oblivion and back and just take out all my frustration on him, and he goes down in just ONE HIT? I wish there was a Mysterio boss fight. Man, not even Shocker went down that easy, and he's probably the lamest Spider Man villain ever!I thought that was hilarious, they go through all the motions of showing you his super-duper power up meter go up 3 times, and then I rushed in and gave him my biggest move only to discover he could have been taken down by a sneeze (though I did suspect as much when the meter looked different from all the others). Mysterio's end entertained me, I honestly didn't care for the gimmicky boss battles in general though.

And has anyone actually SEEN Calypso yet?? I saw her mentioned in a faq, she's part of the Battle Arena stuff, one of the bosses you fight there.

I finally got all the hint markers today, the end result is a gag they took way further than I was expecting - they even use different readings on the line like 5 times. That was a goof. I still haven't pulled off many of the challenges though, that stuff and the battle arena stuff have got me kinda locked up. Also, my favorite spidey fighting move is really hard to engage for some reason, it's the stairs kick, you have to do a jaw launcher but most of the time I can't get that one to go off (it's a spidey-reflex move, hit attack, attack, jump, and that's the jaw-launcher, then you attack repeatedly for stairs kicking, but most of the time I can't get the jaw-launcher to work).

Rogue II
07-14-2005, 01:08 AM
I've been really thinking about getting this game or X-Men Legends...and I have $20 credit at Game Stop for selling back some stuff. So for your $20: Spiderman 2 or X-Men Legends?

Rocketboy
07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Since I hate RPGs...Spider-man 2.
:)

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't *hate* RPGs but I don't enjoy them as much either, so Spidey 2 would definitely be my choice. Then again, it depends on what type of thing you're looking for, Spidey 2 is more about being in his shoes, not everything is superhero-quality stuff, sometimes it's pizzas and sometimes it's just taking a guy to the hospital - I would assume the X-Men Legends game is more about the big superhero stuff.

JediTricks
07-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, in the past few days I've grabbed all the exploration tokens and finished all the awards for saving people and beating up villains (including the boat ones - the hardest part once I figured out the double-jump requirement was spawning the missions since you have to do 5 or 6 others before another one comes up). I've done a few challenges and mega challenges, some of those are fun but some are really frustrating even with wallsprint upgrade 2. I finally took down rounds 2 and 3 of the timed fight arena battles, even did 4, but bonus round 5 with the snipers is tough because there's just not much time in it. I took out endurance round 1 with no problem, but got hung up on round 2 a little and round 3 took me more than a day to get my head around - 75 baddies and nearly all of them shoot something. Finally, I beat round 3 and opened up the boss fight rounds. The first few rounds were cake, I wish you could access any of the rounds up to the one you're at instead of just going on to the next round though. Round 4 has me stumped, Calypso is a super lame villain with only like 5 lines and her powers are totally different from all the other characters so I really don't know what to do there (beyond getting frozen and burned a lot :p), I checked the faqs out there and apparently I have to stun her by punching a wand on the ground.

Since my thug-smashing skills have improved since doing the endurance rounds, I've started reading the combat upgrades portion of the pause menu for moves I haven't used yet, found a few really neat ones, and figured out how to engage some of my favorites more efficiently (like the stairs kick, it says square-square-x, but really it's square-x-square or square-x plus square at the same time). I also have been practicing battle techniques while swinging, which goes beyond just kicking, my favorite is to swing by, grab a guy, fly as high as possible and then spinning pile-driver him into the ground -- that's usually a defeat in 1 move. :D So, it seems like there's still some fun left in this game, I really dig being Spider-man still, and I wish Treyarch was doing a sequel to this game instead of morphing it into Ultimate Spider-man (which looks great, but is a different kind of world).

Rocketboy
07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
One of my absolute favorute things is stopping a robbery on the top of a building by tossing the crooks off the building., espeically when it's really high up.

How very Un-Spidey like.

JediTricks
07-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that and tossing crooks in the water to drown doesn't seem all that heroic, but I still do it. :D When I pick up a break-in crook from the top of a high building and spinning pile driver him onto the street, no matter how high the building the most revolutions I could get was 13 - enough to shatter his spine, for sure. Finally, today I grabbed some jerk on the ground during a battle by the Chrysler building and webbed my way up to the top while holding him and started the pile driver just after letting go of a high-arc swing, got 20 revs before we reached the ground. ;) I tried to duplicate it but got too far away from the battle so it ended and he disappeared.

Rocketboy
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Well after a couple of months I finally decided to give Doc Ock his final *** whuppin'.
The last battle wasn't as hard as I remembered from before. Granted, it still took me a few times (stupid tenatcles).

The first few rounds of the fight arena are pretty easy, but level 3 is pain. I keep leaving at least 2 guys when time runs out. It's the bouncing clown jerks that takes up most of the time.

That level 7 swing upgrade is insane! Takes a while to get used to. Does it make any of the missions (pizza, Bugle, or MJ) and easier?

jaxx
07-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I just picked this game up about a week ago, and I'm on the level "the first day of the rest of your life" where you need to get 50,000 hero points. In all of my game play, I don't know where to go to do the timed fight arenas and endurance rounds. I'm assuming that everythings the same with PS2 as it is with X-box, etc (I have PS2). So, where can I find those challenges?

JediTricks
07-27-2005, 02:16 AM
The level 7 and 8 swing upgrades are definitely improvements on doing those MJ and Pizza missions, the final MJ mission heading off to the Guegenheim I absolutely NEEDED top speed swinging and even using spidey-reflex mode I still didn't make it over a dozen times (then finally when I did make it I had like 5 seconds to spare, weird).

As for those clown bop bag guys, my strategy was to take 'em on 1 at a time and just keep pounding 'em till they were dead, just never stop and never give them time to whack you.

jaxx, have you bought access to the Fight Arena yet? If you have, it's at the southeastern area of the main island, the warehouse where you first fought Shocker. If not, when you buy access it'll tell you what I just told you. :p It's also on the map under Key Locations, it's a big teal star. I too have the PS2 version.

jaxx
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
jaxx, have you bought access to the Fight Arena yet? If you have, it's at the southeastern area of the main island, the warehouse where you first fought Shocker. If not, when you buy access it'll tell you what I just told you. :p It's also on the map under Key Locations, it's a big teal star.

Nope, I haven't bought the access yet. So you can just buy it at the store? What about the endurance challenges?

Rocketboy
07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
jaxx, have you bought access to the Fight Arena yet? If you have, it's at the southeastern area of the main island, the warehouse where you first fought Shocker. If not, when you buy access it'll tell you what I just told you. :p It's also on the map under Key Locations, it's a big teal star. I too have the PS2 version.Don't you have to fnish the game before you can guy it? It wasn't available to buy for me until then.

JediTricks
07-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Nope, I haven't bought the access yet. So you can just buy it at the store? What about the endurance challenges?
Yeah, go to any Spidey Store and you will be able to buy access to that and the disappointing theater. The Fight Arena has the Timed, Endurance, and Boss rounds all in the same place, you have to beat at least 3 of the Timed rounds to open Endurance, and 3 of the Endurance to open the Boss rounds.

Rocketboy, Jaxx said he was on the mission "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life", that's the one directly after the final Doc Ock fight, and that's the point you can get access to the Fight Arena.

- - -

As of now, I feel like I've hit the wall in terms of the Pizza missions (stupid jerk at the end of a pier!), the Bugle missions (oh sure, I'll just teleport to each photo location) and the Fight Arena (Rhino plus another visit from the crappiest, cheapest, cheatingest boss in the game - Calypso? Sure, sign me up), so I've been helping people out and trying the various challenges, but even those are starting to push my limits, I've gotten about 40 times and 25 mega times, and I'm sure there are still more of them out there I can do but with over 100 left, it's nuts - especially because I don't like checkpoint races, I like stuff such as "get to this point any way you can".

Still, of those things I am having this trouble with, Calypso is easily the most frustrating because she's just a horrible boss for this game, everybody else is within the "realistic" universe this takes place except for Calypso - who constantly yaps about avenging her spidey-humiliated love, I assume she means Kraven the Hunter but he ain't even in the damn game; and whose powers are totally cheap with no warning sounds (I know she can interfere with spidey-sense, but they don't make ANY sounds) and beam in from nowhere and home in and swirl around, and even though she's a relatively unmuscular woman, she takes more hits than any other boss in the damn game AND you can't deliver them most of the time since you're being frozen and burned and tossed across the room and such.

It's still a very fun game, but I hate hitting the wall with 15% more of the game to do, I wish I could somehow make Treyarch do a sequel to the game with all these fantastic elements, more random civilian events and randomization of their order, and no cheap-*** villains like Calypso - but instead they're going to do Ultimate Spider-Man which is more cartoony and sci-fi and outlandish.

jaxx
07-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, go to any Spidey Store and you will be able to buy access to that and the disappointing theater. The Fight Arena has the Timed, Endurance, and Boss rounds all in the same place, you have to beat at least 3 of the Timed rounds to open Endurance, and 3 of the Endurance to open the Boss rounds.

Thanks. When I get a chance I'll have to get in the Spidey store and buy it.
For all of you out there who want a quick "worm hole" to chapter 16 with 200,000 hero points... start a new game and type in "Treyarch" backwards. SO type in HCRAYERT. I would hope that you'd want to play the whole game though, because it is pretty kick-a**! But if you're getting frustrated with petty crimes giving you 150 hero points at a time, this might be for you. Personally, I'm having too much fun with the petty crimes, and just taking my time swinging throughout New York. I wish that the "free roam" in the game was really "free roam." I wish you could go into buildings (other than the daily bugle and the pizza store) and run up the stairs, check out the floors, jump out of windows, etc. Have some crimes happening IN the buildings, like in the first Spidey movie with the dude that robs the cashier at the wrestling match. That would be great! Then you could REALLY experience New York. Imagine... webbing onto a chopper and heading over to the Statue of Liberty, checking out the inside of it like a tourist! Awesome!

JediTricks
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't mind the lack of interiors, supposedly the next game, Ultimate Spider-man, won't have interiors at all. Spidey is an outdoors kind of superhero I think, I did a random crime mission yesterday where there was a jewlery store being robbed and another where a deli was being robbed, the fun isn't really that good inside because there's no room to Spidey it up.

On the boss round, I finally beat Rhino & Calypso, then took on Shocker & Doc Ock and took them in 1 try, but got savaged in the final round (all 4 of those bosses) pretty quickly. I tried the Endurance round 4, 100 crazy villains, gun-toting eyepatch guy, snipers, one of those walking tanks, mysterio's flying "martian" robots, shocker goons, doc ock goons, and the Lizard's goons - it's a REALLY tough round, I couldn't get over 30 guys before being wiped out, eventually I worked up to just over 50 but had to leave. :p

jaxx
08-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Is are there a "set" number of missions when visiting Mary Jane, the Daily Bugle, etc? What I mean is, when you go visit Mary Jane, she has you meet her somewhere, and the place gets progressively farther away and harder to get to. Is there a point where the missions begin to start over? Same question for the Daily Bugle. Also, is there a way to tell how many Mary Jane missions, D.B. missions, pizza missions, etc that I've completed? I've forgotten how many I've done.

I haven't had a lot of time to play recently, but I'm on the chapter where you need to get 50,000 hero points, and I have 46,000 of those new hero points, but it says that I'm only 52% complete. I thought there were only 16 or 17 chapters. What determines the percentage of completion?

Rocketboy
08-02-2005, 08:51 PM
All of the little side missions and tokens and such are counted toward completion percentage.
I've finished all the chapters and I think I'm in the low to mid 80's.

JediTricks
08-04-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm at just over 86% now, I did a few more challenges yesterday.

Jaxx, there are 6 MJ missions which get further and further away, and once you're done you get an award, and there are no more missions there. There's no easy way to tell which one you're on, the last one has you race to the museum by Central Park.

There are 20 friggin' pizza missions, they tell you which mission # you're about to do when you go to the marker to start that mission, I haven't gotten past #15.

There are 10 miserable, hate-filled Bugle missions, and they don't tell you which one you're on. There's a FAQ out there with the times of the MJ and Bugle missions so you can tell which one you're on, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

jaxx
08-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Jaxx, there are 6 MJ missions which get further and further away, and once you're done you get an award, and there are no more missions there. There's no easy way to tell which one you're on, the last one has you race to the museum by Central Park.

There are 20 friggin' pizza missions, they tell you which mission # you're about to do when you go to the marker to start that mission, I haven't gotten past #15.

There are 10 miserable, hate-filled Bugle missions, and they don't tell you which one you're on. There's a FAQ out there with the times of the MJ and Bugle missions so you can tell which one you're on, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
WOW!!!
I'm on the MJ mission where you meet her at some tiny park on the other side of the city. Time always expires right before I get to touch the "change" icon. SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying!
I think I'm only on the 5th pizza mission or something, and that one sucks... I can't imagine waht #15 or #20 is going to be like. :crazed:
I hate the Bugle... not going to do any more of them. J. Jonah Jameson can kiss my blue and red sticky web slingin' Spidey a**!

Thanks for all of the info!

JediTricks
08-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I think that mission is either right before the last MJ mission or 2 missions before it, so you're getting close. I had trouble with that one as well, ultimately what I ended up doing was using spidey-reflex mode to slow down time with about 14 seconds to go on the timer and that's how I pulled it off, that's how I did the museum one too, but both also took a TON of trial and error, both when I finally got 'em I had at least 5 seconds left after I burned up the slo-mo, I guess I had just gotten the rythm of it finally or something.

Pizza missions weren't too hard for me once I realized I couldn't do certain moves because it'd ruin the pizza, and reflex mode does definitely help with them. Only the one with the guy on the pier has totally stymied me though, he's too far away from anything to web to.

Good luck on 'em, and don't forget to try out challenges and such, they help you get your swingin' skills up.

jaxx
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks again for all of the tips and info!

I'll give the reflex mode a try. :D

JediTricks
08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Theoretically, reflex mode can be used more than once in the span of the mission, you use it when you first start out, then build it back up while moving, then use it again near the end. I was able to do this once or twice but it slowed me down rebuilding the reflex meter because I am not that proficient in not hitting buildings. :D Keep in mind, reflex mode lets you move faster than normal so not only does it go slo-mo but you actually gain speed. Good luck!

jaxx
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Well... I beat that "meet MJ at the tiny park" mission. Now I'm at the "meet the extreamly demanding hippy chick at the museum" mission. What a pain in the a**! I don't even get close to the museum... even with reflex mode. WOW!

JediTricks
08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I found the best way is to head up Broadway (the main street in the city, left of MJ's house when you start towards the museum) until it forks in a V shape, then take the right fork street straight on through the thickest part of downtown until you get to a HUGE building just before central park, swing around it to the left (because you're closer to its left than its right) and then you're into the home stretch. Twice at this point I got so caught up in going fast that I missed the dang museum completely. Your landing zone is in a nook near the "bowl" on the lower roof, it's not the most inconvenient place but darn close. ;)

Rocketboy
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Gone.

All of it.
Gone.
65 hours of gameplay.
Nearly half a million hero points.

For kicks, I started a new game, and accidentally saved over the old one...

:frus:

Slicker
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
That sucks! I'm sure you'll be back where you were in no time though. Loser.

Rocketboy
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
That sucks! I'm sure you'll be back where you were in no time though. Loser.Well, at least it'll give me something to do.

And I got 3 words for you Slick: Sonic the Hedgehog. :yes:

JediTricks
08-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Gone.

All of it.
Gone.
65 hours of gameplay.
Nearly half a million hero points.

For kicks, I started a new game, and accidentally saved over the old one...

:frus:
Oh man, that sucks big time!!! I've always worried I'd do something like that, so when I'm about to do something new I save my old game in a second slot just in case.

Rocketboy
08-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I thought I was saving my new one in the 2nd slot, but out of habit from saving the original, I went through the saving motions.

With just under 2 hours, I'm already up to the Statue of Liberty mission.
I can't believe how amazingly slow web slinging is early in the game. It's like getting off the highway after driving 70mph for a few hours and having to do 35mph again.

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2005, 02:10 PM
And I got 3 words for you Slick: Sonic the Hedgehog. :yes:
LMAO!! That is too damn funny!

For the purpose of enlightening the other three people posting in this thread, Slicker spent every waking moment of an entire summer sitting in my bedroom playing Sonic until he finally finished it. Then he started over again. And again. And again. :p

Slicker
08-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Ha, ha. Very funny. Dick. What's even more funny is that when my roommate bought a Sega a couple of months ago I played Sonic for about an hour and beat it with all of the gems. It's obvious my skills have multiplied.:bandit:

JediTricks
08-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I thought I was saving my new one in the 2nd slot, but out of habit from saving the original, I went through the saving motions.Chalk it up to a learning experience, I think that's how I ended up doing the same thing. Now I can navigate 8 different save slots on my GTA:San Andreas without problems, though I still get the fear each time I save. ;)

With just under 2 hours, I'm already up to the Statue of Liberty mission.
I can't believe how amazingly slow web slinging is early in the game. It's like getting off the highway after driving 70mph for a few hours and having to do 35mph again.Not bad. As for the swing speed, I know what you mean, but I still get giddy even at those slower speeds, and to be honest, the slower speed (well, maybe 1 or 2 upgrades in) feel more realistic to me than level 8 where he can fly hundreds of feet with ease.

Rocketboy
08-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Well, I refinished the game (up to chapter 17) in about 8 1/2 hours.
I beat Doc Ock in about 4 or 5 hours. Everything was pretty easy the 2nd time through.
I saved all the challenges until I hit chapter 16 so I could really rack up the points.

Now it's time to go for all the tokens and left over challenges.