PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP2

SirSteve
08-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is due out any day for the general public. I have upgraded already and have had no problems. How many people plan on getting it as soon as it is available?

Dar' Argol
08-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Any windows update I do . . better to be safe then sorry.

Do you know Steve if they will offer it in CD form instead of a Download?? Dial-up sucks!

SirSteve
08-18-2004, 04:33 PM
I am sure they will... for a price of course. ;)

Turbowars
08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
What are the benefits over plan XP?

Dar' Argol
08-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I am sure they will... for a price of course. ;)

I'm not sure about that. When I built my buddy's computer and put XP in it, I went to the MS web site and found a CD that contains all the updates up till Feb 2004. I ordered it and it didn't even cost me shipping :eek:. Hopefully they can do this with SP2.

SirSteve
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
That would be great if they did.

As for why you should get SP2, check out the details here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/XPSP2/default.aspx

Dar' Argol
08-19-2004, 05:26 PM
I just got hit with the update . . . .

75 - 266MB :eek: !!!!

Definitly going to see if they have a CD they cand send me. I'll be updating for a week!!!

Dr Zoltar
08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping it will be ready for me when I get home today. I have my PC set up to do the automatic updates. I have DSL so hopefully the download won't take very long.

Dar' Argol
08-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Well, you can order it on cd . . . but not until "later this summer".

Great :rolleyes:. Oh well, at least I can get it then . . Here's the link for those who want ot get it on cd . . Check back later:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

mabudonicus
08-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Ahhhh, I can't help but do this....

I wonder if JT is getting the updates, maybe a dumptruck full of old-school punched cards is being dropped off at his place as I type this :beard:

JediTricks
08-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Ha ha ha ha... ha.

Of course, I don't actually NEED any of these updates because this version of Windows 95 doesn't have even a tenth of the security and programming holes that XP does. :p

SirSteve
08-23-2004, 05:17 PM
It amazes me one is able to be productive on Win 95 in this day and age. ;)

Dar' Argol
08-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Well, a buddy of mine DL'ed the SP2 at work for me and I just got done UNINSTALLING IT! It friggin sucks! It disabled my Window Blinds, and my AIM. Notron Antivirus would not search for updates . . . . its got more bugs in it then a Timon and Pumba lunch! For info relating to the problems, see these to links:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nf/26344

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

Microsoft even ended up shutting down some of its own programs with this update! They need to get their heads out of a Bantha's butt before they do this kind of stuff!!! I won't be puttign this back in for at least 6 months. By that time hopefully they will have a Fix Patch for SP2.

Idoits!!!! :mad:

SirSteve
08-23-2004, 06:09 PM
I use NAV with no problems. I don't use AIM but rather Trillian, again with no problems. I have not had ANY problems with SP2 thus far and have had it installed for about a week.

Oh, and you may have to enable certain programs because of the increased Firewall security features in SP2 (ie. Instant Messaging programs).

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 09:57 PM
It amazes me one is able to be productive on Win 95 in this day and age. ;)
It amazes me there's anyone left on the internet with all the security holes in XP. :p

Wow DA, what a mess, I hadn't heard about this. There is something really, REALLY wrong at Microsoft that they can let this sucker go out to fix problems and end up creating a whole slew of new ones. Oh, but I'm supposed to feel BAD because my '95 isn't the newest toy on the block? HA!!! Steve, let me know when you install the Service Pack's service pack. :D

Exhaust Port
08-24-2004, 08:39 PM
I installed this a few days ago and haven't had and ill effects (so far).

Dar' Argol
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
I use NAV with no problems. I don't use AIM but rather Trillian, again with no problems. I have not had ANY problems with SP2 thus far and have had it installed for about a week.

Oh, and you may have to enable certain programs because of the increased Firewall security features in SP2 (ie. Instant Messaging programs).

Well, SP2 does exactly what they wanted it to do. It shuts down every posible open port that is a security hole. Problem is that it shuts down every open port. I was surprized I got on the net when I did . . . .