PDA

View Full Version : Your best steals?

Gonk 1979
08-18-2004, 06:46 PM
....to coincide with the thread on the most you've ever paid for a figure, I thought I'd start one to ask what's the best you've ever gotten for a rare fig.

Here's mine:

R2D2 w/ Holo Leia: $6.50 last week off of Ebay. Came to $12 with s/h.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2258331867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Jorj Sacul: $32 also last week off of Ebay. Wanted it so badly when it was going regularly for $100, but waiting paid off.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5913252732&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

POTF2 Orange Card: Luke w/ Tan Vest, Boba w/ half circles on hands, and all longsabers including Obi Wan with half picture on card, all Deluxe POTF2 figures, all orange cards and a 12 inch Han on Tauntaun - I got these for trade for an Episode I double -sided teaser poster that I got when I was working at a movie theater. These were going for $200 when they first hit EBAY (when EPI was the hottest thing on Earth in November 1998 - now they go for $10), but I didn't want to get into trouble with Lucasfilm so I traded them instead of selling (our district manager gave these double-sided posters out to employees at an employee meeting - I got lucky).

Hellboy
08-18-2004, 07:21 PM
I found most of the POTF2 figures at retail so I suppose my best finds would be retail price on the following.

-FF Sandtrooper
-FF Boba Fett
-FF Zuckuss
-FF TIE Pilot

Ji'dai
08-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Probably the POTF2 AT-AT for $10 on clearance at TRU. Too bad I paid $80 or so for one when it first came out.

I also bought Watto's Box Cinema Scene for $8 at KB Toys. Like many hard to find items, the first time I ever saw Watto's Box at retail was almost a year after it was released and it was half price. Sometimes you just gotta love the crappy distribution problems.

Kidhuman
08-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Probably the POTF2 AT-AT for $10 on clearance at TRU.

Ditto, but paid like 30 for it.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-19-2004, 12:39 AM
I bought the vintage B-Wing MIB at the San Diego Comic Con back in 1995 for $100. Then I went out for lunch, feeling guilty about my costly purchase. I found $100 in cash on the sidewalk, and amazingly, my guilt went away!

Too bad for the person who lost the money though.

This was the same conevention where I passed over a MOC Droids Boba Fett for $60, because I thought $60 was too much to pay for the art on the card. That was the dumbest thing I did in terms of purchasing/non-purchasing.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2004, 09:57 AM
I bought the vintage B-Wing MIB at the San Diego Comic Con back in 1995 for $100. Then I went out for lunch, feeling guilty about my costly purchase. I found $100 in cash on the sidewalk, and amazingly, my guilt went away!

Too bad for the person who lost the money though.
That was YOU?!? I lost a C-note on my way to bail my buddy out of jail who'd jaywalked while buying a ferret with counterfeit bills. Thanks a lot, B'OM... :mad: ;)

Like Hellboy, I've bought virtually all my figs and sets at retail, but there were a few I had to get elsewhere, such as:

- Queen's Royal Starship for $29.95 (turns out it was missing one break-away panel, though :ermm: ) at TRU
- Holo R2 for $2.99 at TRU
- Teebo for $6 at a shop (about a couple months ago)
- Closed hand Tusken Raider for $2.99 (with a coupon, if you bought three or more figs) from now-out-of-business Play Co. Toys

That's 'bout it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Here are a few that come to mind.

Finding Action Fleet stuff, such as 2 Tie Defenders at a Rite Aid for $10.79 and $12.99 during the summer of 1999. They now go on E-Bay for $150+

Finding a rare Action Fleet A-Wing Green Squadron, minus emblem at a card shop in Toronto for roughly $12.

Figure wise, not too many rare finds, but pricy steals such as paying $2.38 for a Clone Wars Durge and Concept Stormie (Thanks VT ;) ) paying $3.97 for a couple of Amanamans and spending only $6.99 for a two-pack of a Clone Wars Anakin & Blue Clonie. Regretfully, I only had enough :greedy: to buy him and not the other 3 packs that were available.

Slicker
08-19-2004, 11:20 AM
My best buy was actually two R2 w/holo Leia's at TRU for I think $1.99. I'm not one to horde hard to find action figures so I think I gave one away for Christmas and if I'm not mistaken I think I still have an extra somewhere but my entire collection is unfortunately in storage until a date to be announced so I don't quite know where it is.

vader121
08-19-2004, 02:41 PM
I was able to grab a bunch of army builders at KB Toy Outlet for buy one get one free ($2.99 each makes that about $1.50 each after coupon).

Bought a ep2 Slave 1 and a few Lego sets for $3.00 at Kmart.

Bought a few POTF2 figures for $1 at Walmart. This was way after POTF2 was released. They must have been found hidden somewhere and they threw $1 sticker on them to get rid of them. I believe they were a Sandtropper and At St driver.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-19-2004, 03:23 PM
a crap load of ctc stormies & artoos w/holo leia for a dollar and some odd cents each! I rolled into tru right after they put them out in a huge bin...just me and one other super nice guy calmly went through them and got a bunch for ourselves and friends! It was a pretty cool experience. :D Then that very weekend I saw each one at frank and sons for $20 and $60 :eek: respectively.

dindae
08-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Most things I get at retail since it isn't worth waiting on average to me. I did pick up the Mon Mothma/luke blaster sheild helmet wave for $2 a piece. I bought a lot of POTF2 stuff on clearance when I started my loose collection usually around $2. I bought the Lego Blockade runner for $70 at Target.

Slicker
08-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I went back to class after posting at lunch and was thinking about some other steals and I guess you could call finding ALL of the EU figures at K-Mart at the same time a steal. The most surprising part is that I found figures at K-Mart period.

Mr Fett
08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Troop biulder white clones at Target Duarte CA for 4.99 each
what a steal:D
They were on clearance the day after X-mas
wrong collection but still a steal

Bobby Fett
08-19-2004, 06:01 PM
I just bought 42 (38 different) loose vintage figures with capes, but no other accessories, a wampa, a PDT-8, and a closed-belly tauntaun at a garage sale for $5.00. :D

My favorite is the remote control AT-AT for $.25. My non-collector friends think it's the neatest thing I have! Sheesh, if they only knew.

Kidhuman
08-19-2004, 06:17 PM
As far as Legos go: earlier this year, AT-TE for 25 bucks, Hailfire Droid for 25 bucks, Jango Fetts SLave 1 10 bucks, T-16 5 bucks and some others for dirt cheap on Clearance.

Figures: Bar2 and R1-G4 for 1.18 each at Target on clearance. Bespin Guard POTJ, Sabe, and a few others for 1 dollar on clearance as well

B'Omarr Monkey
08-22-2004, 12:26 AM
That was YOU?!? I lost a C-note on my way to bail my buddy out of jail who'd jaywalked while buying a ferret with counterfeit bills. Thanks a lot, B'OM... :mad: ;)

That must be some other scum bag you're thinking about. The $100 I found wasn't a single bill. In fact, it actually turned out to be $150. Some other guy was reaching for it at the same time as me. I beat him to it, and gave him $50, just because it seemed like the thing to do. He was pretty surprised by that. I'm sure it made his day too. I wonder what he bought with it?

Rebo's_Guitarist
08-25-2004, 02:24 AM
Tan vest POTF2 Luke Jedi Knight for 5 bucks on ebay
Retooled POTF2 Darth vader for 6 bucks on ebay
Theater Edition Luke Jedi Knight for 2 bucks at a flea market
Froot Loops Han for 2 bucks
I had the damn FF boba Fett but I GAVE it to my cousin before I knew it was hot stuff:mad: . Me thinks I should see if he still has it and try to buy it back.....

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Some other guy was reaching for it at the same time as me. I beat him to it, and gave him $50, just because it seemed like the thing to do. He was pretty surprised by that. I'm sure it made his day too. I wonder what he bought with it?

I bought wine with it . . . . . .

Ripple, I think . . . . . . . .

It was good :) . . . . . . . .

:o :(