PDA

View Full Version : What does Tycho do with his big collection? Some display pictures.

Tycho
08-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Many of you ask me what I do with 30 figures of Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc.?

Here's an introduction to my display style. I'll post a little and wait for some comments and then post some more.

I've added labels within the pictures, so they don't really need an introduction.

These first shots were made to finish off the film in a disposable camera I had taken to Disneyland and my girlfriend's birthday.

I decided to start my presentation with Episode One - Scene 1, and take you on a tour of some of my displays in chronological order with the movie.

This first set chronicles the main highlights of the adventure of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

Hellboy
08-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Nice pics Tycho. Its hard to tell but do your cabinets have lights in them or is it just the flash of the camera off the mirrors that I'm seeing? I'd also be interested in what room each of your pictures was taken from. You're one of the few people I know of who has their collection spread throughout their entire place. :)

I really need to buy a camera so I can take some pics of my stuff too.

Kidhuman
08-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Very nice display Tycho.

Ji'dai
08-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Nice spread so far! I can understand why some people complain about repaints or re-releases of certain characters, but if you display them like this, having multiple versions is an advantage.

Those cabinets look expensive. I made my own wall-mounted display cabinets and have about 400 loose figures (370 Star Wars '95-'02) currently on display. I have shelves devoted to specific scenes too, but usually from the OT, such as Bespin, the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, or Hoth, etc. I just display all prequel figures from their respective films together rather than in scenes. Those figures usually are relegated to the top shelves ;)

mastermatt24
08-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Wow thats kinda nifty. I remeber you talking a little about those in front of the old spaghetti factory at CC. Did you just come up with that idea on your own?
oh yea, more pics plz! :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
08-19-2004, 01:07 AM
FINALLY!! :D

those are fantastic looking...even w/the figs being from ep1! ;)

Very impressive!

B'Omarr Monkey
08-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Great idea, Tycho. You're the only person I know of who's doing sequential displays like that.

So, do we get to see the pictures from Disneyland, or your girlfriend's birthday? ;)

Tycho
08-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Nice pics Tycho. Its hard to tell but do your cabinets have lights in them or is it just the flash of the camera off the mirrors that I'm seeing?

It's the camera flash. My girlfriend has a digital that I'm going to get to borrow one of these days and then do this thing justice. These pics are hardly as good as I wanted, but thanks for the compliments. To me, I'm more interested in everyone's opinion about the contents and less so about the photography skills I totally lack ;)

I'd also be interested in what room each of your pictures was taken from. You're one of the few people I know of who has their collection spread throughout their entire place.

These are in the main hallway in my apartment. When I get my house, the "white Trade Federation synthetic look" will likely stay in a hallway. The scenes of this nature are smaller, and don't require a whole room to display them in. What you see is almost it.

In addition to these I'll be doing in the same locale:

The Rebel Briefing Scene as they plan the strike at Endor (on Home One)

The Trade Federation Bridge with (hopefully Capt. Daultry Dofine, Cmdr. Tey How, and some blue pilot droids and TC-14).

and the largest one in a plexiglass wall-hanging or case on a glass shelf....

Anakin in his N-1 fighter, streaking past Security Droids as he fires the topedos for the kill from inside the Trade Federation ship. I have the figures saved and the ship saved for the day when I can afford the space and the money to encase this scene.

I have a "white room" but it is my bedroom (and might remain my master bedroom set up, though that depends on how much space I have for Naboo-Endor in a new home), but the plans for the "white room" are very CLASSIC Star Wars: Hoth (mostly) Cloud City, and my custom Tantive IV. So it's all ESB with 1 thing ANH. That's just my preference.

I can understand why some people complain about repaints or re-releases of certain characters, but if you display them like this, having multiple versions is an advantage.

Yes. When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon arrive, they have their hoods up, so Jedi Duel figures with the accessory robes help them to match.

The Naboo figures are then used for the rest of the Trade Federation ship adventure.

When we get to the fight with Darth Maul, I used a lot of the Qui-Gon from the Theed Hanger Playset, because I needed 4 of those sets for my Hanger Dioramas, and I used the Deluxe Maul and Obi-Wan, as I liked their slight pre-posing.

Then I had a Deluxe Qui-Gon in there, just to change things up.

The Jedi Duel figures are aptly displayed.

Then I switch to the Softgoods ones for some different posing.

Finally there's the Obi-Wan vs. Maul 2-pack in there, and Obi-Wan softgoods wearing the Accessory robe for some variety and a stand-out look to show he's different now that Yoda (Flashback) has officially acknowledged his Knighthood.

The actual softgoods figures were made so the Jedi could be used in vehicles and actually sit. Besides the Royal Starship which was necessary to have them in, the Jedi don't USE any vehicles in TPM except for the yet unmade Gungan Submarine. I have softgoods figures of the Jedi for both these ships saved for the scenes I will one day display. I'm adamant they make the Gungan Sub for its uniqueness as well.

And I'll close with saying that when you need something like 30 Obi-Wan Kenobi figures to do all the scenes you're using him in, it's cool to not have to buy all the exact same figure. While I loathe resculpts and only buy them if I need them, I don't over indulge in any particular hero figure because I know they'll be resculpted.

I mean I also need 30 Episode 3 Obi-Wans, but at Midnight Madness, I'll buy no more than 10 because I can get 20 more in different versions one year or another, I'm willing to bet.

Those cabinets look expensive.

$25 plus tax at Wal-Mart actually. I have several different versions of "Curio Cabinets" that you'll see in my forthcoming pictures. All in all I think I bought 13 or so of these cabinets, differing styles for different rooms. Wal-Mart tends to carry these more often closer to Christmas as gift items for "mom's" but they're stocked in the regular furniture section.

I made my own wall-mounted display cabinets and have about 400 loose figures (370 Star Wars '95-'02) currently on display. I have shelves devoted to specific scenes too, but usually from the OT, such as Bespin, the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, or Hoth, etc.

Wow! Very cool.

I just display all prequel figures from their respective films together rather than in scenes. Those figures usually are relegated to the top shelves

Shame on you ;) Wait until you see what you can do with a good variety of prequel characters. This first group was pretty much just Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, but I'd like to hear what you think of Padme's adventures (coming next).

Meanwhile, one of my favorite little sections of the scenes displayed above is that with Nute Gunray, Rune Haako, TC-14, Darth Sidious Holo, and Darth Maul holo. I love the colors and the variety there.

I also like the colored Battledroids with OOM-9 and a couple Security Droids facing the Naboo Jedi - and the fact that a transformed Droid Fighter fits (at a slight angle) in the case in the first "Panel."

You're the only person I know of who's doing sequential displays like that

Yeah. Lucas has said Star Wars is like a Comic Book, so I like the idea of doing frame panels, so you "read my displays, left to right, just like a comic book." Almost all of my displays are done in this style.

I'm planning a really cool layout for the Jango-Obi-Wan Rain Sequence Fight with 7 stages of their battle, all mapped out. I need a Super-Articulated WET Obi-Wan though (HASBRO!!!). I'm using 3-4 Ultras, but when he's caught up in the tangle cable and being pulled by airborne Fett, and while he's hanging, I can't use the Ultra Obi-Wan and am holding out for a better figure.

Did you just come up with that idea on your own?

Yup. I wanted to do something original (and I can't keep myself out of the toy stores.)

So, do we get to see the pictures from Disneyland, or your girlfriend's birthday?

I guess - she's posted pictures of me up on her family 'n friends online photo gallery, so I'm guessing this'll be ok with her. So here's me and my girlfriend from the dinner on the town I took her out on for her birthday.

Stay tuned, because I'm going to edit my pictures of Padme's adventure for posting next. It's another story sequence display.

Tycho
08-19-2004, 04:48 AM
This here is part of my "green room" which is my current living room and will one day have to be the room I can get 4-5 large display cases against the walls into (requiring 24 to 30 feet of wall space around the edges - hopefully on 2 out of the 4 walls only).

This room will serve as:

Naboo
Endor
Possibly Yavin IV (as it does currently) and Kashyyyk.

Not pictured, (and almost all not even assembled due to my apartment's space constraints) will be:

The Royal Starship blasts out of Theed to help the Queen escape! (hopefully including a river with the Gungan Sub featured in it).

The Battle of Naboo (Gungan Grand Army versus the Trade Federation on the hills).

The Battle of Theed (Naboo RG and RS forces, engaged with BattleDroids in the streets while cut-aways into a building display 2 Hanger Playsets joined together, and the Generator Room Duel blazing in their own battles).

The Battle of Endor (Ewok villages, Scoutwalkers, Ewoks versus Stormtroopers galore!)

Now my Yavin IV is the size of an endtable, so it may not fit or over-kill the effect of the room, and Kashyyyk looks to be like a rather large ordeal to undertake, so I might have to have 2 separate "green rooms."

This might cause me to split my green rooms into Prequel and Sequel ones (sort of - the E3 scenes can go with Endor).

Anyway, you have a grasp of what my large Naboo scenes will be - and how many figures I collected to hold onto to do that.

Here are my smaller scene sets.

By the way, a similar E2 case for Naboo would feature

Padme meeting Queen Jamilla (both figures not yet made, but go with Anakin Peasant)

Pamde in yellow - nice to display just for the color

Padme in black leather temptation -

Padme in her nightgown - a figure you could use twice, but crucial to the night attack when Zam sicked the kohouns on her with the assassin droid delivery.

And of course, I've saved Anakin Secret Ceremony figures (his droid hand can be hidden if he's faced the right way) for these potential scenes. However, I'd like a SA, neutral expression, Anakin with the Vader-esqe hang to his Jedi robe done, as I didn't buy but 1 SC Anakin for these scenes (he isn't wearing his cloak when Padme wears Yellow). But for the balcony "nightgown" scene, an Anakin Peasant figure will suffice for me. It's getting too obscure to do Anakin in his night shirt. Padme's nightgown is again from a crucial scene earlier in the film - and heck, they make the assasin droid come with the first E2 figure of Obi-Wan for crying out loud - not to mention the Padme figure gives Zam Wessel's figure a purpose.

Well, back to my TPM cases from Naboo. E2's will be a long time in coming due to the lack of figures I require.

Slicker
08-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I always read about your dioramas but I never thought they'd be like this! This must have taken alot of time and patience. I expected to see a million figures crammed into a sandbox and have it be Mos Espa. I'm just curious, do you open all of your figures or do you also have a carded collection on display? If so I'd like to see some pics. I always like to see a good carded/boxed collection displayed all over the place.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Wow, those are pretty cool! But what will you do if they ever make figures for scenes between the ones on there? (Qui-Gon's funeral, etc.)

mastermatt24
08-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Wow very nice again. :D Your GF looks different from when I saw her at CC. Did she change her hair?

Tycho
08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
I always read about your dioramas but I never thought they'd be like this! This must have taken alot of time and patience.

Thanks. On these, I can't say I'm really proud of what I did, other than the work in collecting the stuff and the right amount of it. I'm going through my small-scenes displays first in this thread, just because they photographed easier with that disposable camera. The larger ones that I haven't re-photographed yet, like whole-battlefield scenes with the AT-AT or Gungan Army in them are my own personal favorites.

The main problem with these curio cabinets is there is not a lot of room in them to put any background into them for the most part. If the scene were more important and the space more available, how cool would it have been to add Amidala's throne and desk to the setup? NiubNiub is the stud when it comes to that (NiubNiubsuniverse.com) I don't even have close to the room or desire to attempt that much detail with my small scenes. I basically do them to remember key moments in a character or group of characters' history and display them - as well as feature Hasbro's figures like Sio Bibble that don't fit many other places in my diorama setups.

But when I'm in pet stores, I constantly look at the little rock formations for lizards and aquarium pieces that'd make great landscaping for my Star Wars scenes. It's just in the Curios, there's not enough room.

I've pondered adding more backgrounds, but when I put so many scenes on top of one another the way I "storyboard" them, I worry that for all the effort, it will end up looking too "busy" and thus tacky.

Things I'll probably do include adding smaller hanger doors around Maul's Theed entrance (the playset ones are too big for the cabinet) and adding the red plasma shield to the generator room duel to separate Obi-Wan from Qui-Gon when Maul kills him.

There's not much else I can fit in there. String for the ascension guns? A lot of effort for a small detail many wouldn't notice is absent.

I expected to see a million figures crammed into a sandbox and have it be Mos Espa.

I plan on using like a coffee-table sized enclosed plexiglass or glass cubicle, raised like an end-table, and I'll actually use plaster materials to build the buildings that Qui-Gon's party walks around. It's an excuse to display aliens and even R-3PO who there isn't room for in my Echo Base, but who looks like a rusted Mos Espa droid to me anyway. I don't have room for such a display right now, so the figures for that are in boxes. I wanted to do my own version of the group LEAVING TOWN after winning the Podrace, so I'd have 2 Eopies towing the hyperdrive accessory pack parts. I want 4 Eopies total, but you see, I'm not paying $60 a piece for them or whatever they are up to.
When I finally build the display I might buy the animals then, but I'm giving Hasbro a fair amount of years to release them in America first.

In any case, Mos Eisley, which I'll later feature, is styled very similar to how I'd do Mos Espa, only I had to build the cantina of course!

I'm just curious, do you open all of your figures or do you also have a carded collection on display? If so I'd like to see some pics. I always like to see a good carded/boxed collection displayed all over the place.

No. I keep almost no carded figures. (The CW animated being an exception, along with Theater Luke, and a signed Silver Fett.) But to buy the volume of figures I do, and leave open the possibility of getting those Eopies for $60 a pop if I have to (That's $240 for $60 worth of plastic at what they should've retailed for), I'm not going to collect carded.

I list what scenes I'm doing, like I did in the E3 spoiler forum, along with the action figures I'll require to make those scenes, then I go out and fill my shopping order (mostly at Midnight Madness).

But I like to see others' carded collections because I don't collect that way. I have (in boxes) a lot of carded figures because for scenes like the big case with the escaping Royal Starship I plan to do, I have had no reason to open those figures because I don't have room for the case in my current living quarters. So yeah, there's like 3-4 Naboo Royal Guards still mint-on-card in the box I have dedicated for holding figures for that scene, along with R2-B1, a Black Travel Queen, etc. But eventually I'll open them all up.

This stuff is not worth money really - and that's not why I ever collected it. My hobby is doing scenes with the figures. I'm not even a true collector in the sense that if I don't need a resculpt or a character (like Luke Jedi Hologram, the new Leia Bespin, Lobot, or the new Bossk) I DON'T BUY THEM.

When each new movie comes out though, I inevitably don't have room to make any new large scenes, so I put the carded current movie figures released the current year, up on some wallspace temporarily (for just the current year). Right now, nothing's up because there are no AOTC figures coming out in 2004 really. But I'll do an Episode 3 ROTS wall for 2005, take them all down in 2006, and just put up ROTS 2006 figures that next year. It let's me focus on the new stuff and appreciate it. Much of the old stuff gets opened immediately - especially if it's classic, since those characters can go immediately into my existing dioramas.

But what will you do if they ever make figures for scenes between the ones on there? (Qui-Gon's funeral, etc.)

I collect for a scene with every character they might make, so I already have the other figures to go with them.

I have a complete set of all the attendees of Qui-Gon's funeral, waiting to be opened, as I do plan on doing the scene with "fake fire" unless Hasbro makes a funeral pyre figure (which I highly doubt, but would definitely buy!)

In any case, the funeral is chronologically AFTER all the Theed scenes I showed displayed, and that large of group (1 of every Jedi Master which I decided to include in my version of the funeral), will not fit in a curio cabinet display, so it will require a wall-hanger shadowbox or glass shelf scene (with dust cover). I have a "dark olive color room" for swampy stuff (Otah Gunga, Dagobah, and other 'dark scenes,' and though it's not my main Naboo room, Qui-Gon's funeral will be displayed there, rather than in my bright green room with "happy yellow" squadron of N-1 fighters hanging from the ceiling. I don't have a room for these scenes yet. It'll have to happen after I can buy my large house.

Wow very nice again. Your GF looks different from when I saw her at CC. Did she change her hair?

Thanks. Now I'm not sure but I didn't think you met my girlfriend at Comic Con, but she was there with me Thursday and Saturday, when we met up with SirSteve for drinks, and when you were at the restaurant with us. But the whole event was so busy it's still such a blurr. Anyway, I don't think she changed her hair but then I'm always bad at noticing such things.

Tycho
08-19-2004, 04:00 PM
This is part of my "tan room." Right now I have 1 room for Tatooine stuff.

The idea is to have 2 rooms and separate prequel and sequel stuff in two different "tan rooms," complete with southwestern art and rust and maroon colors to the rooms. Currently this stuff is in my office / guest bedroom I usually type to you guys from. CLASSIC Tatooine, will likely remain my office, while prequel Tatooine (since it's minimal) will be combined with Geonosis and be set up in what will likely be my future gym-exercise room. Hopefully I'll set weights down easy so my figures don't fall over, but the Battle of Geonosis and the start of the Clone Wars will be a nice view while I'm working out. (of course a TV with DVD/VCR combo mounted on the wall will help me workout the full length of my duration). Someday....that's the goal I'm working towards.

Here are my wall box scenes from Tatooine from The Phantom Menace.

Bobby Fett
08-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing.

mastermatt24
08-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Wow very very creative. :D

Tycho
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Thank you.

I'm thinking some blue sky, sand on the horizon backgrounds might help my Tatooine sections.

I'll take compliments but I don't shun criticism either.

There's just a point where it's more fun to set up new stuff than to tweak the old scenes.

Eventually, I'm sure I'll do touch ups here and there.

So far, the only figure I'm truly missing for my scenes is

Queen Amidala, black post-Senate gown which could fit into a Coruscant-styled curio frame series I want to do at some point (but am missing several characters for, including a Padme Handmaiden), but this black gown Queen figure must also join Obi-Wan and Anakin at Palpatine's arrival and Nute Gunray's arrest.

Now as I post my next scenes, you see the severe need I have for both a better Anakin Skywalker figure from AOTC, and Beru, Owen, and Cliegg figures from the Lars homestead.

I'll start some of my small AOTC scenes with Tatooine since we left off on that planet anyway.

Kyle Katarn
08-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Very, very impressive... almost a whole movie in there, that's totally sweet.

Slicker
08-20-2004, 12:18 PM
After seeing these pictures it helps me to understand why on the top 50 poll you'd vote for one figure in one poll and then others in another poll. Should I feel bad for depriving you of the figures you need to fill your dioramas when I was voting for a resculpt of R2? NAH!:D

dr_evazan22
08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey Tycho - Nice displays and pics. I'm still looking forward to seeing the kitchen cabinets. lol. I never thought to do scene by scene displays, and it helps to shed some light on why you like so many copies of an individual fig.

If I understood some of your other posts from this thread correctly, then you have some other displays in some of these rooms (like the green room)?

mastermatt24
08-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Should I feel bad for depriving you of the figures you need
YES YOU SHOULD! ;)

Tycho
08-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Very, very impressive... almost a whole movie in there, that's totally sweet.

Yes. The idea is to recreate the entire movie (all pertinent scenes with figures anyway) - with Hasbro's toys.

The company tries to allow you to do this with the products they select for marketing as well. Could a child recreate the whole movie with his toys? My dioramas very thoroughly answer that question.

After seeing these pictures it helps me to understand why on the top 50 poll you'd vote for one figure in one poll and then others in another poll.

Exactly. I go for what I need the most and for what makes or breaks my scenes. Herme Odel would be more exciting than Cliegg Lars for many, but as you can tell from my scenes above, Cliegg will make or break 2 of my scenes, while you have to be a hardcore fan to know that Herme is lacked from my Jabba's Palace diorama (to be posted soon!)

Should I feel bad for depriving you of the figures you need to fill your dioramas when I was voting for a resculpt of R2?

Absolutely! And if any of the figures YOU voted for ever pegwarm, you should come out to San Diego and buy them all off our racks so I can have new figures come in if you want to adequately appologize to me ;)

Hey Tycho - Nice displays and pics. I'm still looking forward to seeing the kitchen cabinets.

I'll be getting to those shortly. I think my hallway linen closet will come up first though. :D

I never thought to do scene by scene displays, and it helps to shed some light on why you like so many copies of an individual fig.

Whoa! I never said I liked resculpts. I just happen to make use of them if they produce them. And like with Anakin (Jedi Robes), since there is not a figure in existence adequate to filling in for a neutral Skywalker with Vader-like cloak, I will just wait (versus buying 4 or 5 more Secret Ceremony figures of him).

I only say that when new people start (kids becoming old enough, folks that just see that figures exist again when they buy thier DVDs in September, etc) - they'll want a Luke because they don't own ANY. So depending upon the character, and the style, a resculpt for me is better than a re-card. Anakin Jedi Robes is the perfect example.

I always prefer new, never-made-before characters. Especially since my diorama building requires a lot of them, especially background fillers for my larger displays I haven't posted yet.

If I understood some of your other posts from this thread correctly, then you have some other displays in some of these rooms (like the green room)?

Yes. The "green room" is supposed to be Naboo and Endor, probably Yavin, with E3 Kashyyyk and Alderaan possibly pending. The whole idea is that the colors and decor blend and make the room (my living room but possibly a future Master Bedroom) a comfortable, non-clashing evironment from a decorative perspective. In other words, while the whole place is "Star Wars" it is toned down so you don't really notice unless you go room to room and pick up on the overlying theme.

Currently, the Death Star is in my green room, as well as a piece of Coruscant. This is because in my rationale, I only had 1 room to do this in (due to having only 3 main rooms to work with total, and needing white and tan rooms), so since the Death Star II orbitted Endor....

So in the current room are: The Battle of Endor, The Death Star (an DSI and DSII collage), the SOTE spaceship battle, the Battle of Endor starfighter battle, Yavin Base, the previously pictured Naboo scenes, a CLASSIC Legacy of the Jedi curio (to be pictured later - it goes into some Expanded Universe), and that's basically it. I wished I had more room.

Due to Naboo, the balance will shift the green room more to PREQUELS, and it remains to be seen if I'll need 2 green rooms for Kashyyyk, or if the colors will better match a future "olive" room I've planned for a larger house.

Like I said, while Kashyyyk is a prequel world, it will go with Endor because of Chewie, and the fact that almost ALL of my large prequel green room displays are from TPM: Royal Starship escapes Naboo, Gungan battle, Theed street battle/hanger duel.

Anyway, more pictures are forthcoming (and actually here!)

The following would be from my tan/red "Tatooine 2" room - or the Prequel room for red and tan colors.

These are from the Geonosian Hanger Duel:

mastermatt24
08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Those pics are kinda hard to see... How come you take them from the bottom aming up? Do they not look good taking them from striaght ahead?
Anyways from what I can see they look great! :D

Tycho
08-20-2004, 06:21 PM
How come you take them from the bottom aming up? Do they not look good taking them from striaght ahead?
Anyways from what I can see they look great! :D

You see ME and the camera flash reflected in the glass that much more.

That's why I took them from that angle. When I get my girlfriend's digital, I'll reshoot these and the filters, focus, etc. will all be adjustable so I can compensate for the negative factors that couldn't be avoided with a disposable indoor-outdoor throw-away camera.

I just had to use the film up on the throw-away which is all I'd chance brining on rollercoasters etc. when we went to dinner, and so forth.

dr_evazan22
08-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Whoa! I never said I liked resculpts. I just happen to make use of them if they produce them.

Sorry, my bad. I meant multiples of the same fig, as opposed to copies or resculpts.

Yes. The "green room" is supposed to be Naboo and Endor, probably Yavin, with E3 Kashyyyk and Alderaan possibly pending. The whole idea is that the colors and decor blend and make the room (my living room but possibly a future Master Bedroom) a comfortable, non-clashing evironment from a decorative perspective. In other words, while the whole place is "Star Wars" it is toned down so you don't really notice unless you go room to room and pick up on the overlying theme.

Currently, the Death Star is in my green room, as well as a piece of Coruscant. This is because in my rationale, I only had 1 room to do this in (due to having only 3 main rooms to work with total, and needing white and tan rooms), so since the Death Star II orbitted Endor....

So in the current room are: The Battle of Endor, The Death Star (an DSI and DSII collage), the SOTE spaceship battle, the Battle of Endor starfighter battle, Yavin Base, the previously pictured Naboo scenes, a CLASSIC Legacy of the Jedi curio (to be pictured later - it goes into some Expanded Universe), and that's basically it. I wished I had more room.

Due to Naboo, the balance will shift the green room more to PREQUELS, and it remains to be seen if I'll need 2 green rooms for Kashyyyk, or if the colors will better match a future "olive" room I've planned for a larger house.

Like I said, while Kashyyyk is a prequel world, it will go with Endor because of Chewie, and the fact that almost ALL of my large prequel green room displays are from TPM: Royal Starship escapes Naboo, Gungan battle, Theed street battle/hanger duel.

Anyway, more pictures are forthcoming (and actually here!)

The following would be from my tan/red "Tatooine 2" room - or the Prequel room for red and tan colors.

These are from the Geonosian Hanger Duel:

When you get your gf's digicam, would you also take a shot of the entire room? To give a little perspective on how you have it all laid out and all? And maybe another pic of the last scene in your last post (Ani sans arm, Padme, et al, in Geo hangar)?

Since you are living within the confines of aptartment living NOW, when you buy a house will you actually have a green room, blue, tan, etc?

If you can do all that, get me a Coke, and substitute onion rings instead of fries, that would be great. Thanks!

Would it be stealing your thunder if we posted a pic or 2 of our own? Or is there a thread already for pics of collections?

Tycho
08-20-2004, 11:55 PM
When you get your gf's digicam, would you also take a shot of the entire room? To give a little perspective on how you have it all laid out and all? And maybe another pic of the last scene in your last post (Ani sans arm, Padme, et al, in Geo hangar)?

Sure.

Since you are living within the confines of aptartment living NOW, when you buy a house will you actually have a green room, blue, tan, etc?

No. I'm not going to paint the walls or anything. I want the house to look as normal as possible under the circumstances. :nerv:

The art on the walls (don't you guys hang paintings, photo-posters, etc?) will set the tone for the environment. If you noticed, pictures of the greenery around Havasu Falls help accent my Green Room. Pics of the Grand Canyon and a desert highway help accent my Tan Room.

I'll also be adding some American Indian art for a Southwestern feel to my Tan Room (Classic Tatooine).

And believe this or not (well it's me, so you'll believe it) - there's a company in Florida that produces very scene specific cat trees for my kitties to play on, but they are scratching posts nearly ceiling-high that resemble weeping willows or cactus with Indian Pueblo Villages etc. as housing and climbing exercisers for the cats to play on. I'll add the appropriate elements to each room to expand on the accent. Fake plants will help the green room - it's hard to keep my cats out of my one real plant as it is, thus the cat trees that really look like trees will be perfect.

I cant wait to have a house one day!

Would it be stealing your thunder if we posted a pic or 2 of our own? Or is there a thread already for pics of collections?

Not at all. Many people might be doing these dioramas besides myself (I'm not the only one here who saw the same movie). Your dioramas and takes on certain scenes might be much better than mine (which aren't even all done), and you might give me ideas. So post away!

To keep it relevant, you might want to post pics of your scenes that correspond to my scenes I'VE ALREADY SHOWN. I'm sure you have others, and I do too. So I'll get to every conceivable scene from the movies eventually.

Meanwhile, for meaningful comparison discussions, post pics of your scenes from what I've shown:

Trade Federation Ship
Duel of the Fates
Battle for the Palace at Theed
Watto's shop
Anakin leaves his mother
Darth Maul's Tatooine Attack
Anakin returns home to search for his mom
Tusken Raider attack!
Funeral for Shmi Skywalker
Geonosian Hanger Duel

These are all relevant and should give you a lot to select images of your dioramas from.

I'm about to start Classic Star Wars, so hang on to those!

dr_evazan22
08-21-2004, 12:49 AM
The pic attached below, I've mentioned in a post in some other thread. This is a shelf from Ikea with no supports, I have it above my couch. On the shelf is my generic Battle of Naboo. For the most part, it's all the 3.75" scale, although there are a few Action Fleet and a 12" there also. To help set the tone (rolling hills and such) is a painting my Grandfather painted on the Russian front in WW2 (from the German perspective). Notice the BD on the far right ready to fall over from one too many Bud's.

Tycho
08-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Very nice Dr.Evazan. I too use the same elements in my large Battle of Naboo diorama. And I also like to accent the scenes with my 12" as you did with the large Captain Tarpals on Kaadu. I never have opened mine yet, for lack of space to display it. I wondered how it would stand up. I see you had a lot of success with it.

For 12" to augment this display I got:

JarJar Electronic with Boomer tossing action vs. BattleDroid
Captain Tarpals on Kaadu vs. OOM-9

I really have wanted Hasbro to make a 12" Destroyer Droid for some time now. I'd add it to this scene as the Kaadu really seems to overpower 2 simple Battle Droids, doesn't it. Tarpals is a great piece! I'm glad to see you like yours.

I think you also did a creative job in merging your Naboo and Jedi pieces with the Gungans, while adding the Sith to the Trade Federation forces. It's a simple, accurate, and creative way to display these pieces in a collage this way.

.................................................. ..................................................

Meanwhile I don't have the better camera yet, I can still post some BAD shots of my Classic stuff taken from old pictures.

Here are shots a lot of you guys might've already seen of my custom Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner.

This is in my master bedroom, (my "white room" that's either all Hoth or Bespin) and the ship is alongside my bed (but with plenty of room to get out) and measures 5.5 feet along the sliding glass doors that lead out to my balcony. (If I suck in my stomach, I even can still go outside the sliding door).

gsr-jedi
08-21-2004, 01:47 AM
That's a very impressive display style you've got there. And if I understood right, you've got some large sclae displays also? I can't wait to see how those are.

Tycho
08-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Here is Mos Eisley Spaceport.

It is one of the large displays I have talked about.

It measures 6 feet long, directly against the wall behind the chair at my desk I am sitting in.

This is an old picture and I added a new picture of the updated Cantina with all the characters up to Kitik Keed Kak (who I got over a year and a half ago from the rare single-card assortment).

One day I want to re-do the buildings and the background painting I did, but exactly the same way for the displays.

The ships I colored in taking off out of the spaceport are very intentional:

Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde
Dash Rendar's Outrider
Imperial Landing Craft
Sallah Zend's Starlight Intruder.

Slave-One chasing the Falcon (or a YT-1900) freighter is barely visible beyond a speck in the far left background side-panel).

A Jawa Sandcrawler is drawn in the far distance on the far right side-panel (cantina side).

Meanwhile, Sandtroopers invade Mos Eisley Spaceport as Luke and Ben try to hire themselves a ride off of Tatooine and onto greater adventures!

mastermatt24
08-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Really neat. I wanna see the kitties! :D

stillakid
08-21-2004, 03:27 PM
As one of the few who have had the opportunity to view many of these displays firsthand, I'll say that the pictures don't really do the collection justice. At least when I was there, the enormity of the displays were reminiscent of the Art of Star Wars travelling museum. I think that given the space and resources, any collector of "our" kind would have it in mind to showcase his/her wares in this way. Yet Tycho is (thus far) far and above any others I've had the pleasure of seeing. I pine for the day when I too can have the time and real estate to make such a thing a reality for my own pile of plastic. :)

Ji'dai
08-21-2004, 04:02 PM
The Mos Eisley scene is cool, especially the Cantina. Wow - 6 feet long! Is it made from papier-mache?

Tycho
08-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks Stillakid and Ji'dai.

Wow - 6 feet long! Is it made from papier-mache?

The fixture is obviously an industrial store display fixture, like what you see at comic book shops, the glass shelves removed.

So the whole thing can work like a terranium (plant, environment case for pet snakes, lizards, etc.)

My "pets" just don't require cleaning - although Han does make a mess out of Greedo ;)

Rather than "dump sand in it" I went to a model railroad store and learned about:

foam boards
hydrocal modeling cement

The foam boards are pink and come large - I think 6 feet by 4-5 feet, or 6 feet square - can't remember.

The display cases are 18 inches deep, so you can put them against the walls and they don't even stick 2 feet out. (obviously 1.5 feet out from the wall) - so that leaves you as much space in a room as if you'd just put an end-table or dresser set against the wall anyway).

I cut the foam board to fit inside the floor of the fixture.

I don't want Mos Eisley to be pink though!

Hydrocal is white. Used by itself, it will harden when applied to the foam and protect it from easily breaking. You have to cover both sides of the foam.

Pure Hydrocal is all you need to make Hoth - because the pink board turns white.

For Mos Eisley, you add paint - the appropriate color of the earth. I used tan for Tatooine and brown dirt color paint for Endor's forest floor.

Anyway, after covering all 6 sides of the floor board in tan (you have to let each side dry over a night) while the top side is wet, you can add a thin layer of sand, and it will dry in there, sticking good, so it won't spill sand everywhere, and you now have the illusion that the sand goes deep.

The smooth surfaces of the cantina floor never had the sand added. Instead I painted them to look like the sythetic floor that was actually there.

For Tatooine, where everything is built out of sand, I just used the pink extra foam pieces to make the building pieces, and put the tan hydrocal over them and assembled them accordingly.

Posterboard stuck up with velcro stickers supplied the background after I drew and colored in the back images and did my best to line them up with the actual buildings I constructed and get the point-perspective right for the side panels (very hard to do and draw this correctly - I made some mistakes that I'll correct when I do it over).

Then the figures get placed in and wallah! Oh - I had plexiglass "hangers" made to lay across the inside top to hang ships from and still see through the hangers to the action below. I didn't want the ships hanging from the actual lid which has to be removed again next year to add the Gotal, Dannik Jerriko, and Myo -and hopefully more.

Before building the whole thing, I usually get some free butcher paper from the grocery store, cut it to the size of a fixture floor, and test-set my figures up in their poses I want them in to space them out (see how many Sandtroopers etc. I'll need) and how big of case I'll need to buy.

The reason previous scenes you saw (like the Geonosian Hanger Duel) were in little curio cabinets was because I reasoned "How big of space are only 3 figures going to need?"

Mos Eisley Spaceport at 6 feet long has +/- 63 figure in the display and I know I want to add up to 10 more cantina aliens at least.

Today, after all I've built, Mos Eisley remains probably one of my personal favorite displays I've made - mostly for Hasbro's part in it and all the cool characters. I could do a much better job at finishing new buildings and reconstructing the setup now that I've done it once and could be more patient the next time.

One thing's for sure though - I would not alter the way I display the characters - the basic layout of where all the pieces go, etc.

I'm about 90% happy with it.

Tycho
08-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Here is Hoth.

White hydrocal in its natural state is perfect for the landscape. A light powder of the stuff, sprinkled on top of the drying protective surface but over the pink foam board finishes the snowdrift feel.

I don't have pictures of the other side of this 6 foot long display. The Rebel Trenches are there, with the 1980 Imperial Attack Base filled with various Hoth Rebels, along with the 1981 Turret and Probot Playset. About 20 Hoth Rebels are manning their stations to resist the Empire!

Meanwhile, Rogue Squadron (or at least 2 more of their snowspeeders), are hung flying above, about to engage the Imperial Walker.

The scene was inspired by "All Quiet on the Western Front," the WW I novel about combat life and how soldiers had to cross no-man's land under the fire of troops with machine guns firing from covered positions in the trenches.

Here the Empire must be brave and striked the entrenched forces of the Alliance from across a dangerous, icy wasteland under constant Rebel fire!

This scene is in my white room, across from the foot of my bed, directly against the wall where anyone else would put long dresser drawers.

On top of the display's glass cover are my 12" Han Solo and TaunTaun and Luke Skywalker vs. the Wampa Ice Monster.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I don't know how you fit all of that into your apartment. I don't have anything on display right now because my son is still too young to understand that his toys are for playing with and mine are for looking at, especially when we have some of the same toys.

I've pretty much stuck to one of each figure, with a couple of exception such as lars Homestead Padmé, so I can display her with and without the cloak simultaneously. I'll probably go back and pick up extras of others like Ric Olie so I can do with/without helmet. Anyway, I plan on displaying them in stepped rows about 3 or four deep, and figured that as of right now, it would take me two 6 foot high bookcases to display them so they didn't look crowded, and that does not take into account vehicles, beasts, or scenes like the trash compactor, so I have no idea how you fit many multiples of some of the characters into your living space.

On a technical level, to avoid your reflection, and the reflection of the flash in your mirrored displays, stand slightly to teh left or right, so you are not aiming your camera straight at the mirror, and this should take care of your problem. It will also make it easier for us to see what's in your wall displays than the up angle shots you've shown.

Tycho
08-22-2004, 02:25 AM
Thanks B'Omarr. Like I said, the largest displays only stick out 1.5 feet from the wall in any given room.

If 2 walls have furniture against them (couch, bed, desk, etc.) then there are 2 walls left to have display cases against, set up so you can view them.

I have a 2 bedroom / 2 bath apartment (nothing in the bathrooms before someone asks).

Living room - green, Endor, Death Star large cases.
Office/Guest room - tan, Tatooine Classic Era
Bedroom - white, Hoth, Bespin

The wall mounted curio cabinets are exactly that - on the walls and out of the way. I did a lot of prequel scenes in them because I have no more room in my place for large fixtures.

In the country kitchen, and mine's pretty large, I have my test-set case with the Gungan / Droid battle going on in it - mostly so I could see exactly how many lines of Battle Droids I could get going across the 1.5 feet so I'd know how much to buy while the droids were still in stores. (I did rows of 5 to allow room for action figure stands to support them on those flimsy legs.)

B'Omarr, I like your idea for a display bookshelf with stepped shelves.

Will you put the figures in release order?

Or group the Naboo together, and the Empire together, etc?

Or do it by movie?

I'd love to see shelf-by-shelf close up shots of your figures when you do this.

I understand about your son, but it's great to have him to share your interest with and bond with him that way!

Thanks for the camera tips, but wait until you see what I can do with my girl's camera. I think I'll have it Monday.

Meanwhile, here's a couple shots from Cloud City - my Bespin Freezing scene diorama.

Cloud City as a whole was built into a toddler's pretend kitchen / grocery store playset (life size for juniors). The colors screamed Cloud City and / or Miami Vice, and Lando and Rico Tubbs always reminded me of each other (suave black dudes with fancy taste and flashy clothes - heroes, but "too cool" along the path to glory).

Anyway, the Freezing Chamber part is the kitchen sink! (no joke)

The rest of the levels show the civilians, docking platforms, the Ugnaught scrap furnace, lift elevators, and the weather control system area where Luke and Vader fought their terrible duel.

The Millennium Falcon hangs from the ceiling overhead, and I am after a bunch of cloud car pilots, because I want to hang 3 fully-crewed Cloud Cars around the Falcon, escorting her to landing platform 327.

Darth Vader Unleashed (the original) tops off the whole display as the city "pinnacle."

Due to my "Bespin Escape" collage going on throughout the city - everyone fleeing, Lobot in his action pose sufficed for me.

Hopefully you guys will see more of Cloud City beyond the freezing chamber part, but right now that's all I have to show you.

This is in a "nightstand" location next to my bed in the "white room" - my master bedroom.

dr_evazan22
08-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words about my shelf. The 12" Tarpals is one of my favorite 12", he's well done, and he stands well without special propping or posing (unlike the Taun Tauns). If I could only keep a dozen 12", he'd be one.

Your displays are blowing me away! The ... - I was about to say the cantina looks fantastic, but I can say that about all of them so far. The biggest shame is that some photo's have to be reduced to fit as an attachment here. Keep more pics coming.

B'Omarr - I have 2 of those 6ft book cases, and I added steps to them last year. I couldn't stand having a shelf full of figs and not really being able to see the ones in the back. The steps are made from 1" x 4" (maybe 5") pine from Home Depot, and I used 2" x 3" to get 2 additional higher levels. It would be cool if I could add some background decor from the movies, but they're not too bad this way. I installed under the counter spotlights on the top 3 shelves (as well as the cieling above).
This is my Jabba's Palace shelf; and my BH 12" and busts that I have on the top. Right before I took this I put IG-88 on a plexi riser, but I think he looks too tall here.

Tycho
08-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Sequentially, before Return of the Jedi, came Shadows of the Empire.

I love to do Expanded Universe scenes not only because I get to use figures I otherwise couldn't, but because the figures look so real, this helps me visualize what the authors' visions would have looked like had they ever made it onto the big screen.

Since we can never have Shadows of the Empire with the regular cast of actors, here's what the Beggar's Canyon scene might've looked like.

Prince Xixor has hired Jabba to elminate Luke Skywalker, who Jabba knew planned to cause him trouble for holding the carbon-frozen Han Solo in the first place.

Xizor doesn't know that Vader is Luke's father, only that the Emperor had agreed to Vader's mission to bring him Skywalker ALIVE. Only to discredit Vader, Xizor wanted Jabba to make it look like Vader ordered the hit. They use Jabba's swoop gang to encircle Luke, who has just completed construction of his green Jedi Master lightsaber, and has to put it to trial by fire! But Princess Leia has hired mercenary Dash Rendar as a bodyguard, and he has a suprise in mind for Jabba's swoop gang!

This case is 6 feet long and also gave me an excuse to showcase the Bantha with Tusken Raiders, as they would not be in Mos Eisley.

Unfortunately, in the picture I took below, you can't see the tribe of Tuskens. Both they and the Jawas (opposite mesa) are watching the action unfold, hoping to scavenge the dead for things they need to survive in the desert.

This is what it might've looked like in a SOTE movie:

Droid
08-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Tycho, in your cantina scene, what have you done to your other Duros to make him Bariss Keeg? Is he wearing someone else's jacket or something?

Tycho
08-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Tycho, in your cantina scene, what have you done to your other Duros to make him Bariss Keeg? Is he wearing someone else's jacket or something?

He's wearing the "Princess Leia Collection" Luke Skywalker Yavin Ceremony Jacket.

As you can discern from the Jabba the Hutt pictures below (the Ishi Tibb specifically), I mix and match accessories when at all feasible.

In the case of Luke Ceremony, I used the black shirt, brown pant Luke to do a custom Young Jedi Knights Luke with, while I only bought the 2-pack because the Leia Ceremony figure in it is leagues beyond being better than the Flashback all-plastic Leia Ceremony figure.

In the meantime, I save extra things like Jedi robes, etc. to help me create more figures to fill in my scenes. To do "Banis Keeg" was very easy and that is why the actual figure does not appear on my Most-Wanted lists. It's such a minor variation on Elors Madak that I could care less if they ever made the other Duro.

But doing variations and mix-and-match customs are part of my diorama building.

In Mos Eisley Spaceport, I have Dash Randar (just really wearing Lando's cloak) to conceal his flashy armor that he might not want the Sandtroopers to notice, as they may start asking questions of the young pilot.

I also have Mara Jade as a female moisture farmer. Jade, who would have been 16 at this time (I have her pegged as being 2 years younger than Luke, though others dispute this) might have been acting as the Emperor's Hand and trying to locate the stolen plans to the Death Star, having traced them to Tatooine, the last known location of the Tantive IV. Mara is customized using Leia Dark Empire top and jacket, giving her almost a perfect look-a-like to the Cloud City Mara Jade shown in the Masters of Tera Kasi video game. Her disguise is topped off by a Luke Moisture Farmer's hat and goggles.

Again, in the Jabba the Hutt scenes from ROTJ below, I did a number like that on Ishi Tibb with Luke Endor's poncho, while I replaced Luke's head in a helmet with one without, to create the perfect Death Star II Luke for my Death Star II scenes, no doubt.

Here's my Jabba the Hutt stuff.

Having lack of room and not eager to trip up the funds to complete this at the moment, Jabba's in my hallway linen closet, just across from my guest bathroom. Fortunately I have enough storage space for my bath towels in the cabinets in my bathrooms, and my extra bedsheet sets go in storage containers that slide under my bed. So, Jabba gets the linen closet.

Why set him up now? I need to see how many characters I can fit.

I think I can squeeze in Herme Odel and Sgt. Doallyn and hopefully Woof (vintage Jabba's Palace Klaatu). That's it. I can't fit any more. Different skiff guards and courtiers can always go in my sarlaac pit battle scene on the sailbarge, etc. but not in this Jabba's Palace scene. It is so ....done! 3 figures tops could squeeze in here, and I just listed the 3 I want.

What will I do with this? I need to install a wall shelf in my Tatooine room. Cost ??? Probably under $50 depending upon the quality of wood, and if I make it or let my impatience buy a ready-made. Then I need to have the whole thing made a completely enclosing shadow-box. I'd like a removeable lid style to drop the base into, and then position my figures in exactly as you see them pictured here. A plexiglass case to encompass these figures? Maybe $100 to have it beveled so the lid locks shut but so I can get into it to add figures or fix any that fall, etc. Right now, the next $100 for Star Wars will be to order my sandcrawler and get 7 cloud car pilots. So for now, Jabba stays in the linen closet.

Here's Jabba:

Tycho
08-22-2004, 03:48 PM
JediTricks, now do you see why I "need" to have all those background characters?

They are so much cooler in a scene like this.

Droid
08-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Sorry about the very specific questions, Tycho, but is Ishi Tibb's only modification for Jabba's Palace the Luke Endor cloak?

stillakid
08-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Sorry about the very specific questions, Tycho, but is Ishi Tibb's only modification for Jabba's Palace the Luke Endor cloak?

As Tycho's manager/agent, I have been requested to inform you that you have exceeded your limit of two questions and 50 cents will be charged to your credit card for each additional question. Shipping and handling is not included nor is sales tax (unless you live in WI, CA, or FL). Some settling may occur during shipping. Batteries not included. As seen on TV.

Tycho
08-22-2004, 08:59 PM

Yes.

To get Ishi Tibb's head off (the only way to get the small-neck Endor cloak on) I had to use the boil-in-water method, and then the match burn on the plug to get the head back on so it will stay, if I recall correctly.

It is not at all close to a good approximation of Shasha Teil or the other Ishi Tibb from Jabba's Palace, but at least it is not in a pristine white Rebel Alliance uniform.

Hasbro decided to be creative and do the Ishi Tibb from the Rebel Briefing scene when it made the first Ishi Tibb ever. You'd think that with the figure being released in 1998 and the head sculpt available, that in the next 6 years they would have just added that head to a revised body to make one of the other two Ishi Tibbs already? Perhaps personnel changes scrapped those plans. But I'm surprised a guy like Brian (Ephant Mon's sculpter and a huge Jabba's Palace creature fan -he made the Whipid and Elom, as well as others too), hasn't decided to revisit Ishi Tibb. Maybe he didn't do the Rebel head sculpt, but so what? He has eyes and knows she's lacking. Grrrrrrr.

In any case, the Ishi Tibb in my scene looks just fine and I wouldn't really go replacing it with an authentic Shasha Teil figure unless I find room to put my custom in my Mos Espa, Podrace, or somewhere else amongst my dioramas (which shouldn't be too hard).

So I don't care if they make Shasha Teil right away or not. But I'd like it if they did and with the head done already, I don't see what the hold-up is.

Speaking of Ishi Tibbs in Rebel Uniforms, here is my Rebel Briefing scene aboard Home One.

The white synthetic colors are similar to the Trade Federation ship, so I'd display this in a large stand-up display cabinet with 4 shelves - the kind that you get at Ikia and that light up.

I'd mix this display up with my 12". It's still in sequential order from top to bottom, chronicling Lando's turn from Rogue to Rebel Hero:

Shelf 1:

12" Princess Leia Bespin Gown (I want her badly too!!!)
12" new Chewbacca (let Hasbro try again. I guess this will be KB's exclusive)
12" C-3PO un-assembled in a box (Chronicle Books Ultimate Edition)
12" Lando Calrissian (an extra Lando I picked up for the ocassion
12" Han Solo Bespin (a much-needed, single-boxed resculpt!)

Lando starts to wonder if he's doing the right thing when he sees Threepio destroyed and worries this will happen to his old friends as well.

Shelf 2:

The 3 3/4" Bespin Dining Room Disaster set:

Han shoots at Vader, only to have it deflected by his hands.
Includes almost the entire cast in this great scene:

Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, Lobot, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers!

I don't have the case to set this one up, so the figures were once test-set and are now loose in a drawer waiting for their day to come.....

Lando hasn't any maneuvering room and predictably, Han makes the situation worse - if that's even possible when dealing with a Dark Lord of the Sith!

Shelf 3:

The 3 3/4" scene you are about to view at the bottom of this post.

To strike a blow for revenge against the Empire for taking over Cloud City, and to redeem himself in the eyes of his friends, Lando joins the Rebel Alliance as a General under Admiral Ackbar.

Shelf 4:

12" Lando General (I wish so bad!!!)
12" R2-A6 (as Wedge's droid)
12" Wedge Antilles
12" Admiral Ackbar
12" Mon Mothma (not likely, but I'd add her here)

Lando and other Alliance Leaders plot strategy to take down Palpatine and his Death Star. Lando chooses Wedge as the best pilot to join him on his mission.

In the picture below, I used the complete galaxy Endor as the hologram of this forest moon, and though you can't see it, the Micro Machines Death Star II is the right scale to stand suspended above it by a toothepick.

General Madine recently joined my scene to explain that Han's Rebel Strike team will land on Endor and use hacksaws to cut the toothpick so that the Death Star will crash down out of orbit, thus destroying the station.

I made the Han Solo General figure in 1997 out of the Endor figure and a regular Han. I used a neighbors heat gun to melt his cloak so that he could hold it folded over his arm, casual - "Solo style."

Enjoy the pic. Sorry it's kind of focus-challenged. Stay tuned. I'll be getting a better camera this week.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
These are all great! However, I really think that resculpts could make some scenes a lot better. The He-Man Luke just looks so out of place in the Cantina!

Tycho
08-23-2004, 03:35 PM
You know, there are several reasons I don't replace with resculpts under most circumstances:

Nostalgia for the original (modern) figure plays a factor. In the case of Luke Tatooine 1995, I still remember how excited I was to be able to start collecting Star Wars figures all over again. I also actually like this particular figure for some reason.

The Rebel Fleet Trooper is a better case example to use.

He's obviously too big. When he came out, I'd wanted a RFT since I was a kid (and Captain Antilles too!). So I bought 17-20 of his figure.

If you look at my scenes, like Naboo Royal Guards for example, I needed 35 of that figure, but there are only 3-5 in any given scene. If I did the 12 guard unit for every scene (made the scenes larger obviously) I'd have to have bought 84 NRG's (a hard to find figure for sure) and buy, construct, and display even larger dioramas. I didn't have the desire to spend the money or waste the space.

So when Rebel Fleet Trooper came out in 1997, I had no idea they'd do different head sculpts, or even a resculpt. We didn't really have resculpts (especially carded ones) until 1998 if you recall.

So, I have 8 RFTs in my Yavin base, 7 on the Rebel Blockade Runner (pictured last page), and several in the Endor Rebel Briefing Scene.

I don't like waste and the figure is nostalgic for me. So I'm not going to fork out the case for 20 more RFTs and be left with 20 useless ones. On top of that, I didn't even mix-and-match any RFT SA's with these older versions, nor (to everyone in San Diego County's relief) did I army build with the CommTech Stormtroopers, when I had plenty of access.

When a scene is about done: it is done. I'll add characters never-made-before, but I'm not going to go about replacing stuff with resculpts unless really more-than-practical.

R2D2 Dagobah is presenting me with this option. I'll always need new R2's for each new movie. I can replace the 2 I bought for Dagobah scenes with the muddy version and save my older ones for Episode 3 scenes.

But I am looking at buying probably anywhere from 50 - 100 new-style "Storm-Cloners" for Episode 3, plus multiples of the E3 Obi-Wan and Anakins, Palpatine's etc., not to mention the ships, display materials for it all, and so forth. I am very comfortable with my decisions to not buy resculpts and not collect carded figures. The second part was easy until the OTC and VOTC waves: I used to really not care for the packaging. The irony is that now when I like the packaging, they're all resculpts :rolleyes: I think Hasbro intended to do it this way so they could resell all the "suckers" the same figures, as inevitably, they'd have to keep refreshing the core characters to keep the line alive by being able to recruit new collectors. However, I don't begrudge folks that by the repacks - you might be spending on figures I don't buy, but you also might not be outlaying the kind of cash it takes to do these dioramas.

Anyway, here is my Battle of Endor.

It is 6 feet long and across from my couch in my living room (the current "green room").

This is the display I see any time I'm sitting and watching TV. The Death Star case is just as large and off at a right angle from Endor, to it's left.

In Endor, again I make use of space and tasteful (I hope) arrangements.

There are only 7 Stormtroopers in this display. (I have roughly 70 in my collection, and you saw 11 pictured on the blockade runner, 6 pictured in the carbon freezing chamber scene, etc. so you get the idea of how they are spread around).

This is exactly why I do NOT do an Emperor's Arrival scene with my Imperial Forces.

1) I use 70 Stormtroopers all over the place between all my scenes to begin with. (That's $350 dollars on one figure, folks).

2) An Emperor's Arrival Scene would have me buying at least 30 more ($150 plus).

3) Everyone else does an Emperor's Arrival Scene - heck - Hasbro gave me a picture of their's on my Shuttle Tyderium box! I love this scene, but it allows me to both save space, and see something different in everyone else's collection (or anytime I want to stare at the box my shuttle came in).

4) Instead, to be different, I bought 40 Super-Articulated Clone Troopers and showed the birth of the Empire, rather than the end of it. I have planned Palpatine, Bail Organa, and other Senators on a balcony overlooking 30 Clone Troopers standing in formation (at attention) with their commanders (articulate figures from the Clone Wars 2-packs).

I test-set this to determine how many SA's I should keep hunting down, but took the scene down. I can take a picture of what 30 SA CloneTroopers look like on the floor, but they are no longer set up.

I have 11 set up in formation on Kamino, as you will soon see Obi-Wan taking a tour of the Cloning Facility in another one of my dioramas I'm test-setting - in my kitchen cabinet no less.

Well, I digress, back to Endor:

2 Ewok Village Playsets from the vintage era. These are complete and also probably one of the Top 5 Star Wars playsets ever made (I rank the vintage Death Star Playset #1, and also like and rebought the vintage Hoth Imperial Attack Base, Dagobah, and Turret & Probot playsets).

I have no idea why Hasbro doesn't make large playsets today???

In any case, the scene uses 3 speederbikes, 4 AT-ST's (Chewie's captured one in case you can't tell by this picture).

I collaged the events on Endor so:

1) Luke is seeing the Jedi Spirits
2) Han and Leia are having a moment out of the action
3) The Empire's scattering, trying to track down the Ewoks
4) Rebels actually fighting include 1 each of the new soldiers, and 4 of the old
5) Ewoks are combos of vintage and modern, all utilizing extras and swapping thier hoods to "make more."
6) The Imperial forces also include an Officer and 2 Death Star Troopers (Imperial Navy Troopers)

I hope you enjoy.

Tycho
08-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Here is what I did with the Shield Bunker Playset.

It is not part of my large Battle of Endor diorama above, but a stand alone piece I'd display on a "vase stand" type of display base once I have a plexiglass case made to totally envelope this setup.

I went for simple here: 2 Stormtroopers, Han, Leia, R2, Threepio.

I think I should leave it that way. I like the way this one turned out.

Kidhuman
08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Very nice Tycho, I am going to set up an Endor scene shortly. Just need to get a few more figs for it. I have a small army of stormies on lay-a-way and need about 5 more bikers. I have about 10 ewoks(all vintage) loose to use, an AT-ST, some speeders and the extra Ewok glider that you hooked up for me. 75% of the figures will be vintage though. Should be a few more months before I get everything for it and get it set up.

Tycho
08-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Cool Kidhuman. I'd like to see other people's displays (or links to their pics if they've already posted them) that sort of fit into this "diorama - movie scene recreation criteria."

Before I add in some of my digital shots, I wanted to bring up for discussion some displays that you WILL NOT SEE in my collection (yet) as I don't have room to build these, but maybe some of you guys already have (and I can see how you did them).

Here are my NOT YET MADE DISPLAYS from the early prequel era:

EXPANDED UNIVERSE:

Jedi Training: Obi-Wan is trained by Qui-Gon in their EU Jedi Armor. I like the figures, wanted to use them. - Coruscant - black room

"Cloak of Deception" - Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon thwart an assasination attempt on Chancellor Valorum with Adi Gallia's help. - Coruscant, black room

"Cloak of Deception" - Obi-Wan learns the capabilties of the Trade Federation's new battle droids as they target the TF board of directors instead of Valorum - all part of Sidious' secret plan to put Nute Gunray in charge of the Federation. Iriadu (I think) - industrial world, so black room.

"Darth Maul: the comic" - Sith Training: Shirtless Maul faces Droids - one is that cool Colossus Droid from some cartoon or another. It was a cool figure and actually looks like one Maul fights in the comic. Coruscant - black room.

"Darth Maul: the Comic" - Maul vs. Black Sun, a great chance to use new aliens Hasbro is making, like the Myo, as well as the Whipid and Elom, and Amanaman. Raaltir, red-tan prequel room.

"Darth Maul: Shadow Stalker" - Maul vs. Twi'lek Jedi - Master Bondara (Darsha Assant's Jedi Master - spelling). From Michael Reeve's great book and Hasbro's Clone Wars Jedi multi-pack. - Coruscant, black room.

THE PHANTOM MEANCE:

Qui-Gon running from an MTT (they don't make an MTT so I'm saving the figures of when Qui-Gon first meets JarJar and the forest creatures just in case) Goes in the olive room.

Obi-Wan chased by STAPS - just don't have room to set this up. Was a cool scene ever since I first saw it in the trailer. Goes in the olive room.

Swim To Otah Gunga - the battlebag fish come in handy. I want to try some fake-water stuff from railroad modeling. Goes in the olive room.

Kaadu surround the Jedi - when Tarpals is introduced. I was quite fond of them making Tarpals, Kaadu, and the Gungan Warrior. Goes in the olive room.

Otah Gunga and the Gungan High Council - I plan on making the underwater city in a very creative way. I think yellow Hamster Exercise Balls and their connecting play environments would work well - building floors for the action figures into them, and setting the whole thing into a fish tank with fake-water and the BattleBag fish, plus maybe blue lava lamps set up all together to give the water a motion effect. Goes in the olive room.

Opee Sea Killer Attack - one time where I'll use the Action Fleet - namely the Gungan Sub, to be on scale to the Opee which I really thought was cool. I'd love a Sando Aqua Monster a little larger than our Deluxe Beast Rancor to finish this scene up. Again, I have a lot of BattleBag fish saved for this. Goes in the olive room.

HUGE DISPLAY NOT DONE: Gungan Sub arrives - Jedi Rescue the Queen - Royal Starship runs the blockade! This is a collage scene where I build part of the Naboo streets of Theed by the river that runs through the capital. The idea would be to put a 3 3/4" scale sub in, which Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and JarJar exiting it upon their first arrival to theed. Collaged within the same scene in sequence will be the Black Travel Decoy Queen and handmaidens being rescued by the Jedi jumping off a balcony to attack Security Droids, and finally, suspended "taking off" will be the Royal Starship, fully crewed with the Jedi et. all, and all the droids on board - the only time I can use all the astromechs I've collected and when R2D2 is introduced and saves this great ship / playset. This will be a masterpiece in my green room.

Hanger Fight #1: a smaller scene, but not too small, with 2 Theed Hanger Playsets put together, you get the idea of what's in it already. Black Travel Queen makes her escape with the help of the Jedi. Sio Bibble watches the action. Green room.

Mos Espa: a semi-medium sized to larger display, this is the town actually after Qui-Gon gets the parts from Watto, and he, Padme, JarJar, and R2 are actually supposed to be leaving town on 2 Eopies, towing the hyperdrive parts, while I get to display all my aliens. I love any excuse to display aliens like the extra tall Senator Horax Ryder from Watto's Box Seats. I desperately need 2 Eopies. But without room for this display, there's no point in spending $60 each for them now. Maybe the price will come down later, or maybe I'll have nothing else to spend that kind of money on later. Doesn't matter. The Eopies will be the last thing I add. Red-Tan Prequel room gets this one.

Anakin's Podracer "It's Working!" - I just like this scene, get to showcase the podracer by itself in a centerpiece style, with Shmi, and hopefully Kitster, Wald, C-3PO, a few figures I won't get to use very often. Red-Tan Prequel room gets this one.

Sith Infiltrator flying - I'll hang the ship over all my prequel Tatooine stuff if they just make it already! I've saved a Darth Maul softgoods for this vehicle!
Red-Tan Prequel room gets this one.

Podrace Hanger - another excuse to show off Anakin and Sebulba's pods and 2 more Eopies if I can get them. Plus I'd like Ann and Tan Gella here, as the blue Twi'lek girls in bright yellow would shine in this scene, and I get to display a lot of aliens again! Red-Tan Prequel room gets this one.

A HUGE DISPLAY: The Podrace Starting Line: I've customized an Ody Mandrell Podracer so I'll have 3 vehicles just taking off (Anakin sort of stalled). The stands will have more opportunity for me to display all my aliens (a repeating theme by now if you've read this far). Anyway, I get Jabba, the 2 headed announcer, and Watto's Box Seats and more into this one. Red-Tan Prequel room gets this one.

VERY ORIGINAL: The Actual Podrace. This is the craziest idea I have: to take a largescale model railroad set, lay down the tracks, and disassemble two large engine cars. On the engine cars, I'll attach Anakin and Sebulba's podracers. I'll use modeled landscaping to hide the railroad engine platforms and make it look like the pods are flying. Then I'll add rocky landscaping all around the entire track I lay down so that there is as little appearance of a railroad track as possible. This will go in my Red-Tan Prequel room which is also tenatively my home gym. The podracers will fly all around the exercise bike and the weight machines while I'm working out (if I turn the track on). I'll build the canyon around the edges of the room where there are not display cases (of Geonosis, other red tan stuff like Mos Espa, etc). I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trying this, which is exactly why I want to do it. But if you beat me to it, please post your pictures!

Coruscant in a Curio: like my curio cabinet scenes you already saw, I want to do a 6 or 7 part story sequence from Coruscant in one of these for my black room.

Darth Sidious and Darth Maul on the balcony
Anakin with Padme Handmaiden on the Royal Starship
Palpatine with Queen in yellow, pre-senate
A whole shelf showing all the Jedi Council characters together
Anakin coming to see Padme (who's now as the Senate Queen)
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan on the balcony of the Jedi Temple
Queen in black (post-senate) considering JarJar and his people's army

Basically a lot is being "said" with this little curio display, as well as giving me the opportunity to display like the whole cast all at once.

Coruscant Arrival - the black travel queen is greeted by Palpatine, Valorum, and my opportunity to do columns of blue Senate guards and Naboo Royal Guards. I'll use a background picture of the Royal Starship in this one to keep it smaller, not the actual vehicle toy. - black room

The Republic Senate - a rather larger display, I'll have as many speaker cars in a rounded display made inside a cubicle of plexiglass as I can possibly customize. This will be about the size of a medium television set. black room

Jedi Council turn down Anakin - you get the idea. One of at least 2 times I'll assemble the Toys R Us Jedi Council sets. -black room

Queen's Return to Naboo - i love the Royal Starship and want to display it in more than 1 room, so here Anakin learns from Ric Olee to fly a big ship, while I have a way to display the Purple Return to Naboo Queen - olive room.

Meeting Boss Nass - use for lots of Gungans, Sabe, and Queen Battledress, lot of Kaadu's etc. I plan and test-set this to fit on an Ultarama. - olive room

Anakin running "they're here!" - green room. An excuse to showcase 1 figure and see what I could do with the background in a very small shadowbox - about the size of a giftbox for a watch displayed on a base in a box. green room.

Battle Plans - on a Gian Speeder (which I hope they make), Padme plans the attack with R2 showing a holo of the Palace. - olive room - other half of the Ultarama (bottom half)

Kaadu in swamp - 5 kaadus with Gungan warriors - in a fish tank with fake fern weeds. Tarpals and JarJar included. Just think it would look cool - and the first image from the trailer we ever saw. olive room

HUGE DISPLAY: street battle for Theed. An AAT tank, transformed droid fighters, the flash speeder, plenty of Naboo soldiers (both types) lot of droids, the buildings and balconies made like a little set, a hanger battle incorporated with 2 more hanger playsets and the generator duel playset attached. Very ambitious, this one will be a great challenge to set up. Major display #3 of my green room. (Endor is #4 for the moment, and #2 was the Gungan Battle which i have test set and plan to post a picture of shortly - without backgrounds, just Gungans and Droids, tanks, etc.)

Trade Federation Bridge - already described, Daultry Dofine et. all. White synth display.

Destroyers vs. Kaadu - I got a lot of Kaadu on clearance. Don't knock it. Green room.

Space Battle - 5 N-1 fighters hung from the ceiling with Anakin in one, Ric Olee (unfortunately) in 4. They face like 18 droid fighters hung up there with them. - green room

AAT Tank - JarJar hangs on to the cannon with his tongue as Tarpals tries to rescue him. I thought this would be fun. Love the tank toy. green room

Anakin flies into the hanger - already described. White synth area.

Obi-Wan hangs. A scene from an angle I couldn't do in the curio cabinet. White synth area.

Maul spits in 2 - another scene like that. I want to turn the scenes so you can see them as they looked in the movie.

Qui-Gon's funeral - olive room. Self-explanatory. Need another Purple Queen for this one. Excuse to use the Jedi.

Theed Celebration - green room. You get the idea.

EXPANDED UNIVERSE:

"The Hunt for Aurra Sing" - I really need Aurra's swoop bike for this one but didn't need to buy that bounty hunter 4 pack to get it. (olive room)

"Rogue Planet" - jet packs give Obi-Wan and Anakin flight capability during the garbage chute races on Coruscant. I got the Jetpacks from a Jack In The Box "Max Steele"special or something. They are just the right size for 3 3/4" figures for some reason. -Coruscant, black room

"Rogue Planet" - I need a young Wilhuff Tarkin figure for this one. (green room)

"Jedi Quest" - Anakin builds his lightsaber on Illum - white synth scene area or white room (Hoth). Depends on space and my mood. Obi-Wan cold Weather gear gets a use with Anakin Naboo Padawan figure customized a bit.
I wanted to show their early years as a master-apprentice team.

I guess I like to buy a lot of figures....

Ji'dai
08-27-2004, 06:31 PM
HUGE DISPLAY NOT DONE: Gungan Sub arrives - Jedi Rescue the Queen - Royal Starship runs the blockade! This is a collage scene where I build part of the Naboo streets of Theed by the river that runs through the capital. The idea would be to put a 3 3/4" scale sub in, which Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and JarJar exiting it upon their first arrival to theed. Collaged within the same scene in sequence will be the Black Travel Decoy Queen and handmaidens being rescued by the Jedi jumping off a balcony to attack Security Droids, and finally, suspended "taking off" will be the Royal Starship, fully crewed with the Jedi et. all, and all the droids on board - the only time I can use all the astromechs I've collected and when R2D2 is introduced and saves this great ship / playset. This will be a masterpiece in my green room.
This reminds me of the model Lucasfilm built of Theed for the invasion scenes. That thing was a work of art. I'd like to see how you put your version together when you get around to it.

"Jedi Quest" - Anakin builds his lightsaber on Illum - white synth scene area or white room (Hoth). Depends on space and my mood. Obi-Wan cold Weather gear gets a use with Anakin Naboo Padawan figure customized a bit.
I really like the Cold Weather Gear Obi-Wan. I was thinking of putting together a squad of them for use as Alliance Special Forces in a Hoth diorama. These elite troops would be among a select few actually issued lightsabers and trained to use them in combat. But on an ice planet such as Hoth, lightsabers would prove more valuable as a handheld cutting tool.

Gonk 1979
09-10-2004, 06:57 PM
...I don't know, I just don't like the look of Star Wars toys in nice, wooden cabinets and the like. They just seem out of place. I saw another pic of a collector who displays all of his figs in an antique dining room cabinet, and while the cabinet is beautiful, the figs just don't go match.

stillakid
09-10-2004, 07:10 PM
...I don't know, I just don't like the look of Star Wars toys in nice, wooden cabinets and the like. They just seem out of place. I saw another pic of a collector who displays all of his figs in an antique dining room cabinet, and while the cabinet is beautiful, the figs just don't go match.

It's funny you say that. I agree with you. Nice wooden cabinets and shelving are for nice knickknacks and glass stuff and books. Plastic toys just don't belong there. I think it's the impression of "fanciness" in the finished wood that doesn't match the rather "childish" nature of a plastic toy. Maybe you could get away with a high end collectable, like a fiberglass mask or one of the Master Replica items, but Hasbro toys don't go.

I'm thinking of using the more "raw" looking DVD cabinet type things. The shelves are narrower anyway which makes a little more sense for lining up a gazillion of the little guys for display. I don't know...they probably look out of place nearly everywhere except in front of a little kid on the floor. :ermm:

Deoxyribonucleic
09-11-2004, 12:44 AM
I don't know...they probably look out of place nearly everywhere except in front of a little kid on the floor. :ermm:

BLASPHEMY YOU!!

;)

Turbowars
09-11-2004, 12:55 PM
...I don't know, I just don't like the look of Star Wars toys in nice, wooden cabinets and the like. They just seem out of place. I saw another pic of a collector who displays all of his figs in an antique dining room cabinet, and while the cabinet is beautiful, the figs just don't go match.I thought I was the only one that felt that way. But what ever floats your boat. I go with one room with a modern look to the cabnets with black and gray tones.