PDA

View Full Version : Han Solo Chase Figure?!?

mkcopeland
08-19-2004, 08:29 PM
just picked this up at walmart. whats the deal? its the only one they had. I did a triple take and noticed it had double tape. but the bubble is sealed. so it wasnt someone idea of a return joke.

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/1006/HanFull.jpg

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/6560/HanClose.jpg

cheers

ShinGodConvoy
08-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Thats hards to believe, but the figure seems to be in excellent condition. Hasbro were selling old vintage figures on Amazon in packs at one point, so its known that the have some quanity of original figures on hand.

Rocketboy
08-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Looks bogus to me.

mkcopeland
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
i have no reasons at all to make this up. the bubble is sealed solid, no way it was opened and resealed. let me take a few more pics and post

ShinGodConvoy
08-19-2004, 08:53 PM
This is very interesting. Hasbro is not above something like this. Think about what they been doing with blue/gray suited Bobas lately.

mkcopeland
08-19-2004, 08:59 PM
ok hopefully these pics will shed more light

http://img6.exs.cx/img6/8007/HanSeam1.jpg
http://img6.exs.cx/img6/6471/HanSeam2.jpg
http://img6.exs.cx/img6/5163/HanFace.jpg
http://img6.exs.cx/img6/1539/HanHandBreak.jpg
http://img6.exs.cx/img6/804/HanGunBend.jpg

should i open the star case and take a closer look?

Darth Jax
08-19-2004, 09:14 PM
looks bogus to me. the view of the cut bubble surrounding the hand is what makes me think so. plus the VOTC figures are super-articulated. this han barely has any movable joints. damn good job getting the fake re-sealed in the bubble.

this isn't the first report of incorrect figures in the VOTC clamshells, but first i've heard of one on the OTC cardback.

woohoo post #500.

Kidhuman
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Simple, does it have a ton of articulation? If not it is bogus.

tagmac
08-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Definitely bogus - that's a vintage Bespin Han with a POTJ blaster. The vintage blasters never looked like that, and Bespin Han never even came with the right gun - it was the same weapon that came with Lando, the Bespin Guards, and the Rebel Soldier.

I find it even more pathetic that someone would put a perfectly good vintage figure in a current package to bring back to the store. I'd have to check price guides, but my guess is that even loose it is worth more than the VOTC figures cost.

Turbowars
08-19-2004, 11:06 PM
It's BS. It's all about the post count.

tagmac
08-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Ahh yes....hadn't noticed that.

AmanaMatt
08-20-2004, 02:04 AM
The day that Hasbro reissues vintage molds as a chase is the day a monkey will fly out of my butt.

(runs to bathroom to check).

dindae
08-20-2004, 09:10 AM
I like the fact that only supporter also has a equally low post count. It is a nice fake though. Very impressive.

Mr Fett
08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
What's wrong with having low post counts?

Kidhuman
08-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Dont know, havent had one in a long time. :D

Mr Fett
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Dont know, havent had one in a long time. :D:D Good Answer

mm74md
08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
just picked this up at walmart. whats the deal? its the only one they had. I did a triple take and noticed it had double tape. but the bubble is sealed. so it wasnt someone idea of a return joke.

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/1006/HanFull.jpg

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/6560/HanClose.jpg

cheers

This would have been cooler if you would have used the small head vintage han from a new hope

dindae
08-20-2004, 01:50 PM
What's wrong with having low post counts?

No offense intended. Merely noting when the only posts one has are in a thread promoting a bogus item they found I have no faith. But if someone like kidhuman posted he found it I would want to see what was going on.

ShinGodConvoy
08-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I like the fact that only supporter also has a equally low post count. It is a nice fake though. Very impressive.

I have no interest in post counts. I am a graphic artist and the picture looks pretty good. I almost hope it isnt real because I'll be out there trying to find me one too. Maybe some of the people that run the site and call hasbro and get some insider info about this being real.

LTBasker
08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Have you never heard of people taking out the figure, putting in an old figure and then returning for their money back?... It's not a chase, sure it's real- it's a physical object, but it has no relation to Hasbro. You can do the same with any figure by cutting around the bubble with an X-acto knife, replacing the figure, and then regluing.

I'd have to check price guides, but my guess is that even loose it is worth more than the VOTC figures cost.

Actually Bespin Han is one of the easiest to find vintage figures for dirt cheap.

Ji'dai
08-20-2004, 04:43 PM
I doubt this came from Hasbro. I would return it unless you wanted to keep the vintage figure.

On a side note, Bespin Han was my favorite figure when I was a kid. I loved that little guy.

DarthJimli
08-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Although I agree that this is just a very well done repack fake, I don't think that someones post count should preclude them from being believed when they report something.

Let me give an example. At my main forum home, Lordoftheringsguide.com, earlier this year a new member came on saying that he had spoke with a Toy Biz rep and had received word that figures would be made for such characters as Elendil, Gil Galad, Theodred and the Fell Beast. Most people dismissed him as a screwy noob, posting lies to get attention. Well, needless to say a lot of people had to eat crow when these figures were confirmed at Toy Fair '04.

Like I said, I do believe this is a fake(mainly because it's a Bespin Han on a ANH Han card) nothing would surprise me coming from a toy company. Then again I'm probably just jaded from all the wacky things Toy Biz has done with the LOTR figure line.:ermm:

Turbowars
08-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah what ever, look at your post count.;) J/K

DarthJimli
08-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah what ever, look at your post count.;) J/K
LOL! I was expecting that!:D

dindae
08-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Although I agree that this is just a very well done repack fake, I don't think that someones post count should preclude them from being believed when they report something.

Let me give an example. At my main forum home, Lordoftheringsguide.com, earlier this year a new member came on saying that he had spoke with a Toy Biz rep and had received word that figures would be made for such characters as Elendil, Gil Galad, Theodred and the Fell Beast. Most people dismissed him as a screwy noob, posting lies to get attention. Well, needless to say a lot of people had to eat crow when these figures were confirmed at Toy Fair '04.

I never said I wouldn't believe anything from a person a low post count but I would have to treat it like news one of my non collector friends try to give me about Star Wars (usually some twisted version of reality about outdated news).

Slicker
08-23-2004, 12:52 PM
So if I were to say that Jar Jar was Boba Fett no one would believe me?

Droid
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
dindae, I like when people (and this has happened several times), tell me that George Lucas wrote nine Star Wars books before he ever made the movies, and that he is now making movies of those books.

I also argue with people who tell me Lucas has already written scripts for the last three movies (VII-IX).

I may not know much in this world, but people trying to tell me about Star Wars makes me crazy.

My favorite was a friend of mine who told me she enjoyed the Phantom Menace because it allowed her to see LUKE as a little boy. And she could not be dissuaded from that.

dindae
08-23-2004, 02:16 PM
I one a couple of weeks ago where a friend of mine told me that they were going to release old figures on card (like the example here). Of he was talking about the VOTC line and I guess said cool and something to effect that I had heard something about them (even though I had them preordered months ago). At least he was interested in the topic.

sumdumchum
08-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I saw the same exact thing at my local Kmart just 2 days ago. The person who did it also returned Obi-wan. I almost fell for it but what gave it away was Obi-wan. The saber was gone as most of them are when it comes to that figure. Sorry to say that you've been had. Return it and get your money back.

darthzirock
08-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Kmart is like the haven for S.O.B.'s that do this type of stuff. I saw three VOTC outer shells the other night at Kmart: one housed a POTF2 Obi-Wan, the other a POTF2 Han (both from 1995), and the third held a SOTE Leia as Boushh. The tape on the outer shells looked perfect, but all that means is that somebody used a little Goo-Gone to get off the old tape, then replaced the tape! The funny thing is, they at least went to the trouble of using some really wide, white correction tape to cover up the old UPCs!

People, when you see this kinda stuff, please don't leave them on the shelves for some kid or a newbie collector to get ripped off of $5. Bring them to customer service, explain what has been done, and insist on speaking to a manager.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Pitiful...I have seen three VOTC scams so far. One housed a POTF2 red card Obi Wan Kenobi, one housed a green card POTF2 Hoth Luke, and one had a monkey face POTF2 red card Leia. Horrible, simply horrible. :(

B.
TDV

ronhudy
08-25-2004, 06:13 PM
About a year ago, I was in a Wal-Mart here in Las Vegas and found an Episode 2 Plo Koon repacked on POTJ Tessek card! It still had the Jedi Force File of Tessek, and a blue lightsaber packed with it! I actually bought, 'cause I thought it was funny and it was marked down to like $3 or something...I'll have to post a scan of it when I get a chance.

Lazer Brain
08-25-2004, 06:40 PM
I Just Broke 100 On My Post Counts....

Hey Thedarthvader Sent You A Em.

Later

Kidhuman
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM

Only if it was in the Blatant lies thread.

InsaneJediGirl
08-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah,its fake.I didnt see what post counts had to to with the entire thread.It could have been JJB and I would have said the same thing :D

Darth Jax
08-26-2004, 12:53 AM
i think the post count discussion is more my fault than anything else. since i acknowledged hitting 500 posts.

Slicker
08-26-2004, 08:59 PM
About a year ago, I was in a Wal-Mart here in Las Vegas and found an Episode 2 Plo Koon repacked on POTJ Tessek card! It still had the Jedi Force File of Tessek, and a blue lightsaber packed with it! I actually bought, 'cause I thought it was funny and it was marked down to like $3 or something...I'll have to post a scan of it when I get a chance.How could the tard that was packaging them not realize that the picture on the card and figure were to totally different things. They probably met there tard quota for the month.

vadersvette
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Kmart is like the haven for S.O.B.'s that do this type of stuff. I saw three VOTC outer shells the other night at Kmart: one housed a POTF2 Obi-Wan, the other a POTF2 Han (both from 1995), and the third held a SOTE Leia as Boushh. The tape on the outer shells looked perfect, but all that means is that somebody used a little Goo-Gone to get off the old tape, then replaced the tape! The funny thing is, they at least went to the trouble of using some really wide, white correction tape to cover up the old UPCs!

People, when you see this kinda stuff, please don't leave them on the shelves for some kid or a newbie collector to get ripped off of $5. Bring them to customer service, explain what has been done, and insist on speaking to a manager.

Yeah, I've also seen a POTF2 Red Card Obi-Wan in a VOTC shell at my KMart. They also HOF Yoda packaging ripped open and Yoda taken. This Bespin Han could've been easily done. Places like FFURG.com have tutorials on how to remove blisters from packaging without ripping the card. It can be done pretty easily, and look genuine in the end. I do this for my custom figs.

Rocketboy
08-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Only if it was in the Blatant lies thread.I believe it. It's my own personal theory.
It would serve the Jar Jar haters/Boba Fett fan boys right! :D

Samuel Windu
08-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Horrible.Fortunatelly,still not happen here yet.

Darth Rend
09-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Actually, I noticed something similar a few weeks ago.

The first time I found VOTC figures at my local Target, I didn't buy them, because the entire wave (NOT one figure) were old figures. Now when I say old, I don't mean vintage, I mean first wave POTF2. They had all Hans, monkey-Leias and Obi-wans. They were definitly the first release POTF2 molds, although oddly enough obiwan had the cloth robe.

My take on this? Hasbro was in a hurry to get these high price-point items into the market and capitalize on the news of the OT DVD release, but didn't have the new sculpts ready right away. So they threw together a few cases of repackaged POTF2 in the VOTC packaging to ship in a hurry. (Hoped some people wouldn't notice??) This paticular Target is well-known for getting stuff EXTREMELY late, and it wouldn't suprise me if these cases came into thier warehouse a month or so ago.

Has anyone else seen these? there were 4 pegs FULL of these, so it couldn't possibly be a customer swap....

I would have gotten one to post a picture, but there is no WAY I was buying a monkey-Leia for 10 bucks.

tagmac
09-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Not exactly the same thing, but I was in Target a few weeks ago, and ever OTC figure on the pegs (looked to be only about a case's worth) were all pent, so that the sides looked "rounded" towards the back. Looked to me like someone bent them, cuz the way it was done, I don't think it's possible for a box to be crushed in such a way on the pallet.

ronhudy
09-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Saw a red card POTF2 Han at K-mart yesterday in VOTC package...despicable. :mad:

darthzirock
09-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Actually, I noticed something similar a few weeks ago.

The first time I found VOTC figures at my local Target, I didn't buy them, because the entire wave (NOT one figure) were old figures. Now when I say old, I don't mean vintage, I mean first wave POTF2. They had all Hans, monkey-Leias and Obi-wans. They were definitly the first release POTF2 molds, although oddly enough obiwan had the cloth robe.

My take on this? Hasbro was in a hurry to get these high price-point items into the market and capitalize on the news of the OT DVD release, but didn't have the new sculpts ready right away. So they threw together a few cases of repackaged POTF2 in the VOTC packaging to ship in a hurry. (Hoped some people wouldn't notice??) This paticular Target is well-known for getting stuff EXTREMELY late, and it wouldn't suprise me if these cases came into thier warehouse a month or so ago.

Has anyone else seen these? there were 4 pegs FULL of these, so it couldn't possibly be a customer swap....

I would have gotten one to post a picture, but there is no WAY I was buying a monkey-Leia for 10 bucks.

Um, Rend? I hate to tell you this, but Hasbro doesn't have stacks and stacks of old, unsold POTF2 figures lying around in warehouses. Neither would they simply make new ones from the old molds, reprint old POTF2 cards, and stick them into VOTC clamshells just because they were late shipping the real VOTC figures. Obviously, some truly heinous person bought up every VOTC figure and swapped them out for old POTF2 figs, returned them to get their money back, and are probably selling these things on eBay even now.

Most likely, it's a guy that runs a collectibles stall at a flea market, who has been hording these unsold POTF2 figs for almost a decade. Because he can't get the $40-$50 dollars apiece he's been trying to unload them for since Clinton's second term, he saw the opportunity with the VOTC to at least make some sort of profit. Hell, it could even be a Target employee doing it! Either way, they are fakes (as far as being VOTC figs goes), the store got ripped off, and anyone buying these things are doing nothing more than paying $10 for figures that originally sold for less than $5.

Darth Rend
09-03-2004, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=darthzirock]Neither would they simply make new ones from the old molds, reprint old POTF2 cards, and stick them into VOTC clamshells just because they were late shipping the real VOTC figures. QUOTE]

What do you think 90% of the OTC line is? :crazed:

(and by the way, they did NOT reprint the cards for POTF2..these were POTF2 figures on VOTC cards.

I've been collecting since the begining, and I can spot a fake or a return from a pasec away. I'm telling you these things were factory sealed. And there have been NUMEROUS reports of this happening.

I know there are alot of people skeptical about this idea, but you're just going to have to accept that Hasbro did in fact release a small amount of POTF2 in the clamshell packaging.

Which, for the record, is the worst idea since greedo shooting first.:neutral:

dindae
09-03-2004, 09:31 AM
If it were true by some absurd strech of the imagination then stores like Entertainment Earth and Cloud city would have gotten a case or two. They would be selling them for stunning amounts of cash and everyone who has posted these stories wouldn't be saying they passed and didn't pick them up. They would be jumping up and down like they hit the lottery because they found the rarest carded figures ever (even if it is monkey faced Leia).

Darth Rend
09-03-2004, 02:28 PM
So then, becuase I didn't waste my money on an out of date scuplt I already had, that means I can't prove I saw them and thus.....

....I had some sort of fever dream?....

...or I'm gullible enough to not be able to see through an entire shelf-full of OBVIOUS fakes......

...or I'm LYING.

Whichever, I'm not sure I like the implication.

Because I saw them.

And they were legit.

If you don't want to believe me, fine. Your choice. But just because YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Kidhuman
09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I believe that you saw them, but not that Hasbro did it on purpose

ronhudy
09-03-2004, 04:49 PM
I believe that you saw them, but not that Hasbro did it on purpose

My thoughts exactly.

dindae
09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
If you don't want to believe me, fine. Your choice. But just because YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is true, and I'm not perfect. However I feel that since no news site has verified these, no store is claiming these, and there have been so many rip offs on this figure that claims like this are highly unlikely. These might be the best fakes in the world but to me it is just some guy with more time than money/morals. I've seen enough customs and know enough people in the forums that can pull off this kind of work. I only post my opinion because I fear unlike you someone who does go after variations/chase figures might waste tons of money on ebay just to get someone elses loose rejects.

Turbowars
09-03-2004, 11:11 PM
So then, becuase I didn't waste my money on an out of date scuplt I already had, that means I can't prove I saw them and thus.....

....I had some sort of fever dream?....

...or I'm gullible enough to not be able to see through an entire shelf-full of OBVIOUS fakes......

...or I'm LYING.

Whichever, I'm not sure I like the implication.

This crap happens all the time. I have seen this type of customs at Target and TRU. With a trained eye you can tell a fake from the real McCoy. I see that you are relatively new on SSG. I have no idea what your knowledge is on this subject, but you need to listen to some of these guys because they know whats going on. I have seen a fake carded Vinyl Jawa next to a real one and it was very hard to see the difference, but there were some. The way the bubble is glued on is usually the dead giveaway. Most of the time people who return sealed figures to retail use the X-ACTO method. Meaning they cut between the 2 layers of card backing on the bottom and and cut a hole right where the bubble mets the card. That's were the magic starts. Then they slip the figure out. How they don't mess up the card and bubble, I have no idea. :)

Darth Rend
09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Actually I've been in the game a LONG time. My fiance can attest how crazy I've driven her over the years driving form TRU to TRU looking for the one figure from the newest wave I've missed. (I actually have her trained to head right to the Star Wars section, and to pick out the figures I don't already have. And she knows nothing about Star Wars.) I'm usualy a "sit back and read without posting" kinda guy, but since my new job gives me internet access, I decided to finally start contributing to the boards myself. (what else would I do at work??:nerv:

At any rate, I know how many different colors Jorg Sacul's beard is available in.

I know I shouldn't have opened my Tan vested Luke.

I could accuratly recount the sordid legal history behind the tonika twin's likeness, and why we may never see them made into figures....

...and I DAMN sure know how to spot a repackaged figure. :p

I'm not saying the other guys on this board don't know what they are talking about, but they are trying to prove a non-entity. They aren't saying "yeah I saw some at my Target. They were well done, but fake. I could tell because of blah blah blah." Then, I would say "Damn I was fooled, I guess I missed something." What people on this board are saying is "I've never seen it, nor heard anything, so it MUST NOT EXIST, or be a fake."

I swear on my MOC Jeremy Bulloch-signed Boba Fett, if these WERE re-packs, the person responsible is a freaking GENIUS. There was no warping of the bubble, and no "color" raised on the edge of the blister....These were TOO PERFECTLY sealed to not come from Hasbro. And there were 4 pegs full. I don't know if Hasbro shipped a few cases in error, if they threw them out in a hurry to meet demand, or if the whole thing is an amazingly elaborate practical joke for my benifit. I just know what I saw.

And with that I'm done defending my case. I understand why some would be skeptical to believe the eye-witness account of someone with like 4 posts, so take this, my official report, as you will.....

****I saw 4 pegs full of 3 POTF2 figures, specifically Han, Obiwan (although wearing a cloth Robe), and Monkey-Leia, in VOTC pacaging at my local Target a few weeks ago. They did not to the best of my knowledge, seem tampered with, or like the figures inside were replaced. I have not seen them anywhere else, or since. If you have seen these too, and were doubting your sanity, know that at least one other report confirms your story.****

Now, I'm off to go defend Lucas's descision to change Star Wars for the DVD :D