PDA

View Full Version : I Went to Wizard World in Chicago...

Boba Binks
08-19-2001, 09:16 PM
To all my friends...
Hey just wanted to (BRAG) let you know that today I drove up to Chicago from Indy to the Wizard World Convention (Sunday August 19, 2001).
I had a blast! I have never been to one of those kinds of convention before but man was I awestruck. I loved the Hasbro toys. They look so darn cool!
Anyways I just wanted to let everyone know that the trip was worth it. I got Kenny Baker (R2-D2) to sign my Holographic Leia R2-D2 toy that I brought, Dave Prowse (Darth Vader) to sign a photo I brought, Phil Brown (Uncle Owen) to sign a photo I brought, the rude Peter Mayhew would not sign a photo I brought or my Chewbacca action figure. He gave me a lecture on how he only now signs things that he has licensed in his name. So I said well this photo I brought is a page out of the Magic of Myth book. He said no! So I walked away. Later I did come back because I really wanted his autograph. He then very rudely said "I knew you would be back" so I did buy a photo from him to have signed. I then told him that was a bit rude and he told me to "**** Off!" I just can't believe how rude he is. He even snapped at a kid who wanted him to sign a 12" toy Chewbacca. That poor little kid got the same lecture as me. Lots of people were upset with him today. For granted he does not have to be there to meet fans, but he should do it with some enthusiasm and be friendly to his fans when he is there.
Well, after that I had to sit down a get a drink. I hung out at a table alone for about ten minutes and then three people came up to me and asked if they could sit with me. I had no idea who they were but I said yeah sure. We talked Star Wars, after about 20 minutes they asked me if I knew who they were. I said no. It turned out to be Paul Blake (Greedo - who did not shoot first), Richard LeParmentier (Admiral Motti), and a beautiful young lady who looked familiar but I could not place the face, Michonne B. (Aurra Sing). They all gave me an autograph for FREE! They were so nice. In return they all took my card for my web site and Richard LeParmentier said he looks at custom toy web sites. He says he knows my site because of the Jar Jar Bink's customs that I have done. He said he thinks they are really great!
Now when I watch the movies, I am going to feel different about the characters. It just did not hit me until I saw them in person how much they have aged since Star Wars was filmed 25+ years ago.
Well, after that I must say I had a long drive home. I am still really excited, I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to buy frames to put my autographs in and hang them on my wall.
I must say that this experience was a great preview to what the Indianapolis Celebration is going to be like. So many people sharing so many of the same interests. I cannot wait.

I meet many people today, most who were in costume. Great works Guys and Gals! Hope to see you in Indy!

I highly recomend going to the next comvention if it is around your area. Just get to the Hasbro booth right when they open or you will not get the convention pin. I was very fortunate that the Hasbro rep gave me her button. It was already mid afternoon when I got there and they were all gone. After I told her where I was from she said she is also from Indy. Then she took here pin off her shirt and gave it to me. I thank you! (I am sorry but I forgot your name).

May The Force Be With You!
David (Boba Binks) Syczylo

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 01:02 AM
Wow, sounds like you had a great time! That thing with the actors sitting with you must have been cool, especially one having seen your site!

Sorry Mayhew was acting like a jerk, that sounds really lame of him to be like that.

2-1B
08-22-2001, 03:23 AM
Re: Mayhew - That is pretty sad. If a fan is willing to pay for an autograph, why not sign what said fan desires? Isn't that the whole point of doing the convention circuit? I'm sure he was already being compensated for being there; stiff arming you into buying a pic is just wrong.

2-1B
07-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Whew, am I glad I stumbled across this thread again! :eek:
I'm heading to Wizard World, good thing I'm not bringing a Chewy fig! :D
I was thinking about bringing TF Vader in case I got a chance at Prowse's autograph, but I've had bad luck with silver autograph pens lately, so I decided to play it safe and leave it at home.

Darth Sinister
07-04-2002, 01:39 AM
I think Mr. Mayhew has changed his stance a little. I went to the Knoxville show last month and he was very nice and we talked for about 5 min. He signed the Jedi SE poster and said he loves to see good artwork of Chewie. Hopefully it was just him having a bad day or something then. Still no excuse for the abuse.

Beast
07-04-2002, 01:42 AM
Peter Mayhew is a smoker, if I recall correctly. Maybe he was in a bad mood, because he had so many people in line for an autograph, and been busy all day that he hadn't gotten a chance to take a break and go outside for a quick smoke. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-08-2002, 12:22 AM
Darth Sinister, I had a similar experience today with Mayhew as you did. He was very cordial, I didn't bring anything to get signed because I had limited space, so I bought a pic . . . . but he signed all sorts of things, so that was cool. He was very chatty, and he even ran over to the Hasbro Saga life size blister card and posed with lightsabers and blasters for the fans, making goofy faces.
I'll have to post one when they get developed . . . :D

Everyone there was very nice, Dave Prowse and Rusty Goffe were quite friendly, and I was especially impressed by Jeremy Bulloch and his wife, they were SO fun to chat with.
I guess I've heard a lot about Mayhew and Prowse over the years, and never thought much about Bulloch.
Very cool, incredibly well spoken (he led the Q & A )

I expected Prowse to shred TPM and AOTC but he was rather forgiving. :D

Mayhew didn't pull a punch in saying he was glad he didn't go to Harrison Ford's AFI salute. :(
He thinks Ford has changed a lot, and he's not the Harrison he knew during Star Wars. He believes Harrison is embarrassed by some of his work, and Mayhew doesn't understand why.
But it was very cool; nice of them to all be honest and casual, it wasn't nasty or anything . . .