PDA

View Full Version : Garden State

Rocketboy
08-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Has anyone seen it yet?
Or who's planning on seeing it?

It finally opens in my area today. I'm seeing it right after work.
I've haven't really been really hyped about seeing too many movies this year. There have been some that I've looked forward to, but the only other one I can think of that I've been this excited for is "The Punisher."
It just looks really good, I haven't heard one negative thing about it, and it's got Natalie Portman (worth the price of admission alone).

derek
08-20-2004, 04:33 PM
i saw it today. the only reason i did was to see natalie. other than her, the movie was kinda a waste of time. i had zero interest in the dork who wrote/directed/starred in the film and i still don't after seeing him in this.......but natalie portman is really good in this. it's by far her best performance since "leon". i can't wait to see her in more roles(the preview of "closer" with her and jude law looks interesting...nat as a topless dancer???).......and if anyone has only seen her as queen amidala, they should definately check her out in this, as it's proof she's rather talented(jargo). she just lights up the screen, even if she's playing a semi-mental patient, like in this film.

she was almost too pretty and sweet to be playing the role she does, but then again, if a lesser actress had been cast, i never would of saw it. :p

Rocketboy
08-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Natalie was what first got my attention for this movie.
I went in a bit afraid that I would be disappointed because I kept hearing how good it was. I wasn't let down one bit.
Favorite movie of the year.

Natalie really lights up the screen in every scene she's in. She shows some great (and believable) emotions. She can be pretty funny too (who knew?). Her best performance since Leon, IMO.
Zach Braff has a genuine talent for writing, acting, and directing. He has a big career ahead of him. His performance is also great. His character comes out of his shell so smoothly. There's no 1 thing that wakes him up. Really impressive.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I really liked it in the theater but thought it dragged a bit toward the end. Now that I have the DVD and watched it again, I enjoyed it even more and didn't feel like it dragged anymore.

Cool movie, even if the DVD cover is blah. :D

Rocketboy
02-18-2005, 08:41 PM
You're racking up quite the post count tonight! :)

I really liked it in the theater but thought it dragged a bit toward the end. Now that I have the DVD and watched it again, I enjoyed it even more and didn't feel like it dragged anymore.I think I love this move a little more every time I see it.

Cool movie, even if the DVD cover is blah. :D
That's exactly why I made this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/GardenStateFINAL3_25.jpg).

General_Grievous
02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I like this movie a lot, too. Natalie Portman hands-down was my favorite character in this movie. it also made me really appreciate her as an actress.

2-1B
02-19-2005, 12:49 AM
You're racking up quite the post count tonight! :)

Yeah, I had some free time today so I was digging through this section for one or two specific threads and I kept finding stuff I wanted to comment on but never got to from awhile back. I wasn't trying to bury any of the more recent threads, just trying to spark up some old discussions. :)

That's exactly why I made this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Rocketboy78/GardenStateFINAL3_25.jpg).

Yep, I remember the thread you started so you could voice your distaste with the DVD cover. :) You did a really nice job with that one, the theatrical poster DEFINITELY captures the spirit of this film way more than the cheesy DVD cover. :D

Kidhuman
01-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Finally saw this tonight. A great movie. Zach Braff was great and so was Ms. Portman. Agreed, the way he came "out of his shell" was smooth. I figured he would head back to LA at the end and was happy he got off the plane to be with her.

I think it was Nat's third best role, Leon and Closer before this one, but either way I will pick this one up.