PDA

View Full Version : Olympics!

Exhaust Port
08-20-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm suprised that this hasn't been mentioned before but I guess the Rancor Pit has drawn most there.

Now that they are just about over, anyone else watching the Olympics? I wasn't really that interested in watching them but found myself with quite a bit of free time which tied with my lack of anything more than Basic cable left me watching hours and hours of Olympic coverage. I'm pretty thrilled watching all the different events. The swimming events have been great, so have the gymnastics. I wish they would show more of the smaller events like archery or fencing. They showed a bit but it ended up being no more than a highlight show.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
I have been addicted to the Olympic Coverage that NBC and it's sister stations have devoted to so far.

While I haven't been to enamored with the most popular sports (Swimming, Basketball), I too have been glued to watching the less popular sports, such as shooting, archery, badminton, judo and fencing.

For those who saw fencing yesterday, a sport the U.S. has never fared very well in, the U.S. came oh so close to making it to the finals yesterday, with a narrow one point loss to France. Just before France clinched it, during a tie game, the American player cut Touya, the French player, during an attack. Touya's hand was cut pretty badly, and that delayed the match a bit. I think it's neat how advanced scoring in fencing became with electronic sensors rigged to determine "touches" with the sabre.

It's amazing how in archery, someone can hit a bullseye target the size of an orange, 80 yards away.

For those with Cable, NBC has events going on 24 hours day, either on the broadcast station or Bravo, USA, MSNBC, or CNBC ( even Telemundo for our Spanish friends ;) ) Track and field events started today.

Arrogant Arse
08-20-2004, 04:11 PM
EP, I too like watching the Olympics, and also would like to see more of the "smaller" events. I live in the Metro Detroit area, and have access to broadcasts by the Canadian network, the CBC. They show more of the events and their coverage is live. They don't just edit it to the race, and then the Medal ceremony. It is good to have an alternative to the NBC coverage. I must admit, however, that CNBC and MSNBC do show some of it live, though it is at 3:00 in the Morning. I'm up with my wife and our newborn at that time, so that's how I know.

I too would like to see different events shown. I'm don't like Basketball, (frankly, I wouldn't be sad if the US players didn't medal at all!) and would like to see something different than basketball. Maybe Canoeing, or Archery, or Cycling, or Mens Weightlifting, or shooting, or..... I also thought the Swimming was great.

I could also give a #$@& about the "human interest stories," just show the events.

I cought a few minutes of table tennins on MSNBC, or CNBC and just about fell out of my chair laughing at how serious the competators were.

Anyway Go USA (except Basketball)!!

AA

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
How is it that the US has no Olympic baseball team and Brazil has no Olympic soccer team? Does someone know the reason?

Slicker
08-20-2004, 04:32 PM
I too would like to see different events shown. I'm don't like Basketball, (frankly, I wouldn't be sad if the US players didn't medal at all!) and would like to see something different than basketball.I'm totally with you on this one. If I may rant here I will do so. These for, the most part, punk ***** players are only out there for themselves. They aren't even playing like a team. I watched the stomping they got from Puerto Rico and it was pathetic some of the shots that were taken. These players know that they're in the world spotlight and they want to make the most of it and I'll bet most don't even care if they medal either. I too am from Michigan and it was great to have the Pistons win the Championship but when I watched some of those games that was the first time I'd watched basketball in over a year, I think it's a boring sport.

JON9000
08-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Americans like rooting for an underdog. We do not like rooting for a bunch of petulant, overgrown, gazillionaire babies who don't give a crud about anything except getting paid. Tim Duncan excepted. I hope these guys fall on their faces and then I hope the NBA goes bust.

Slicker
08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
You know what? Tim Duncan was actually the only player that I could think of from the NBA Olympic team that really isn't a spotlight player. He's good but he isn't as bombastic or outspoken as some others he kinda lurks in the background. Like I said I'm not too big into basketball so if a fan replies please share some others that are good but never heard about.

JON9000
08-20-2004, 08:16 PM
On the other hand, Iraqi Soccer, Paul Hamm, Carly Peterson, and Mike Phelps are awesome!

Exhaust Port
08-20-2004, 08:59 PM
No, the sand volleyball cheerleaders are awesome! :D

gsr-jedi
08-21-2004, 01:52 AM
I've been watching quite a bit more than I expected to, it sucks that the smaller events like fencing, archery, shooting are on in the middle of the day while I'm working or looking for Star Wars toys.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2004, 02:32 AM
What's up with trampoline and ping pong being medal sports? If it's something you can do (legally) in your house or yard then it should be excluded from the games, IMO. If you have ping pong as a medal sport, then why not bowling, air hockey, pool, and foosball?

Exhaust Port
08-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Bowling was at some point I believe.

I watched a bit of the trampoline last night......um, I thought it was pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong, what they do on the trampoline is amazing but I found it silly to watch someone bounce up and down, up and down for 3 minutes.

stillakid
08-21-2004, 10:33 AM
On the whole, I've been enjoying the Games so far. Swimming is fun to watch as are the gymnastics.

But I'm sitting here with Tennis playing in the background and I find it boring as hell. After a short bit of thinking, it occurred to me why I don't think sports like Tennis, or Baseball, or Football, or Golf, etc. should be a part of the Olympics. If I'm not mistaken, a large part of the Olympics is for the best in the world to come together to compete to see who actually is "the best in the world." When it comes to activities like gymnastics or track & field events, there really aren't any viable "professional" avenues for those participants to take like there are for the BIG sports mentioned above. Sure, past Olympic participants wind up in Stars on Ice and such, but those aren't really competitions at that point....not the way the BIG sports are. So when we see competition with activities like gymnastics et al, we really do get the sense that the "best in the world" are competing. But watching the BIG sporting events (like Tennis), it's obvious that we're not watching the best in the world compete so it's only the "best of who came to the games" competition. Yawwn. The Gold Medal winner will still only be 5th, 6th or 24th best or whatever. So the BIG sports should never be a part of the Olympic Games unless we truly do get to see ALL of the best players in the world compete, which will never happen.

Exhaust Port
08-21-2004, 02:38 PM
The one thing I really like about the Olympic games is that it is a collection of rarely played or broadcast sports. Tennis is on all the time but how often can any of us see swimming or shot put.

I also like that this is a collection of amatuer's with their exceptions made for Basketball, Tennis, etc. During the women's 100m prelim. there was a 16 year old girl from Afganistan who's best time was 14 secs, clearly behind the average of 11 seconds for the rest. It was cool to see her make an appearance even though she got smoked.

You're right Stilla, it really isn't the best in the world as some chose not to participate and the amatuer ruling for most events keeps out a lot too but that's OK by me. I think the basketball event would be better if it got rid of the pro's. Even most if not all the European team players are professionals in the US or Europe.

Rocketboy
08-21-2004, 03:49 PM
The only thing I've even bothered watching was the female beach volleyball games.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-23-2004, 12:48 PM
The U.S. baseball team failed to qualify for the Athens games. Funny, considering how they won the Gold in Sydney.

I think "Dream Teams" and professionals ruin the essence of the Olympic games, especially in basketball, hockey, tennis, etc. Professional athletes get paid mega bucks in other venues to show off their talents, while the Olympics long tradition is to showcase amateur sports, or up-and-comer athletes. To some credit, many of the best tennis players skipped the Olympics, and baseball still fields college age players, despite MLB.

Did anyone catch shooting on Bravo late last night? The American, Emmons, was poised to win the Gold Medal in Men's 50 K shooting, when on his last shot, he accidentally shot an opponent's target, nullifying his near certain gold medal and putting him into last place.

Does track cycling really have any popularity in the world?

Did I read the TV Guide info. button correctly, when it said the Wheelchair Marathon was listed as an event?

Gotta go and watch the new Olympic Sport, the javelin catch. :D

Exhaust Port
08-23-2004, 11:37 PM
I didn't see the shooting accident but read about it in the paper this morning. Man, that sucks.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-26-2004, 01:10 AM
I've watched these Athens Olympics more than any of the previous Summer or Winter Games in the past. Here are some random observations.

Boxing - Olympic Boxing is vastly different and way not as interesting as professional boxing. The best strategy is not to defeat your opponent by knockout, rather by well-timed punches to the face (they rarely score body shots) and then when you build a lead, dodge your opponent the whole rest of the fight.

Wrestling - Rulon Gardner, the hero of the Sydney Games, won a bronze and promptly retired. I found it neat that a wrestling tradition, has the wrestler leave his shoes in the ring as a sign of retirement.

Hurdles - Did anyone catch the Canadian woman on Tuesday night who stumbled after the first hurdle, lost her footing, and crashed into the next lane taking out a Russian hurdler?

Decathalon - Kudos to the American Clay for winning a Silver in the grueling decathalon. All the attention went to the American Pappas, who was a world champion in this event, but Clay snuck under the radar and gave career best performances. Not bad for a little guy too.

Equestrian - I think horses deserve a medal in this one too.

Gymnastics - I admire the athleticism and difficulty of this sport (especially the landings) but the scoring seems very subjective and often unfair. Did anyone catch the 10 minute razzing they gave the judges after a low scoring against a Ruskie? The judges apparently made errors in the scoring, and rescinded them, giving him a higher score but no medal.

Just curious, if any of you guys had to pick a sport to compete in, what would it be? It doesn't have to be one you are necessairly good at.

I think cycling would be the sport I would pick, track cycling to be exact. The individual pursuit looks a little dangerous though. I have strong leg muscles and enjoy a good ride, albeit a sprint or a distance.

My dream sport, even though I have very little practice with it, would be archery.

stillakid
08-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Boxing - Olympic Boxing is vastly different and way not as interesting as professional boxing. The best strategy is not to defeat your opponent by knockout, rather by well-timed punches to the face (they rarely score body shots) and then when you build a lead, dodge your opponent the whole rest of the fight.Dumb f'ing "sport" no matter who does it. I never saw the appeal.

Wrestling - Rulon Gardner, the hero of the Sydney Games, won a bronze and promptly retired. I found it neat that a wrestling tradition, has the wrestler leave his shoes in the ring as a sign of retirement. Same as above, except that I can't think of anything more unappealing than willingly wanting to grab ahold of some other sweaty fat guy in tights and try to pin him. Yeuchh! What on god's green earth would compel anyone to want to do this?

Hurdles - Did anyone catch the Canadian woman on Tuesday night who stumbled after the first hurdle, lost her footing, and crashed into the next lane taking out a Russian hurdler?Christ, who didn't? If they rerun that footage one more time, I think that the runners get their SAG cards.

Decathalon - Kudos to the American Clay for winning a Silver in the grueling decathalon. All the attention went to the American Pappas, who was a world champion in this event, but Clay snuck under the radar and gave career best performances. Not bad for a little guy too.
I missed most of this, but like with most of the events, it is amazing what some people can achieve with their bodies.

Equestrian - I think horses deserve a medal in this one too. Exactly. Just like autoracing or any other "sport" where the human is just along for the ride.

Gymnastics - I admire the athleticism and difficulty of this sport (especially the landings) but the scoring seems very subjective and often unfair. Did anyone catch the 10 minute razzing they gave the judges after a low scoring against a Ruskie? The judges apparently made errors in the scoring, and rescinded them, giving him a higher score but no medal.
The chicks are hot. There ought to be a law that all women have to have awesome bods like those. Beach volleyball, anyone? :cool:

Just curious, if any of you guys had to pick a sport to compete in, what would it be? It doesn't have to be one you are necessairly good at.
Co-ed mud wrestling. Everybody wins. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
The only thing I've even bothered watching was the female beach volleyball games.

yeah, that was nice when our girls won! They seemed so happy!

I thought it extremely cool that the Iraqis came for one and for two, that their soccer team is/was doing such a great job!

anyone know if paul hamm gave back his medal or what the story is on that at all?

Slicker
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Just curious, if any of you guys had to pick a sport to compete in, what would it be? It doesn't have to be one you are necessairly good at.Definitely midget tossing (or is it little people) either way I'd like to toss those little buggers around.

stillakid
08-26-2004, 09:23 PM
anyone know if paul hamm gave back his medal or what the story is on that at all?

Apparently, there are no rules that allow for that sort of thing to happen officially. But if he chose on his own to hand over his medal, that would be okay. But Hamm is clearly such a baby (have you heard this guy talk about himself? Narcissistic hardly covers it) that it'll never happen. He gets his medal and the US continues to look like arrogant a-holes around the world.

Slicker
08-27-2004, 12:38 PM
He gets his medal and the US continues to look like arrogant a-holes around the world.We've been arrogant for years why should we change over one little medal?

Rocketboy
08-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Just curious, if any of you guys had to pick a sport to compete in, what would it be? It doesn't have to be one you are necessairly good at. Ice Hockey.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Apparently, there are no rules that allow for that sort of thing to happen officially. But if he chose on his own to hand over his medal, that would be okay. But Hamm is clearly such a baby (have you heard this guy talk about himself? Narcissistic hardly covers it) that it'll never happen. He gets his medal and the US continues to look like arrogant a-holes around the world.

:rolleyes:

what's new! I know they work hard but if you didn't earn it, YOU just didn't earn it!! It'll haunt him though forever because every time he looks at it, he'll know it doesn't truly belong to him. haHA!

stillakid
08-28-2004, 08:11 PM
:rolleyes:

what's new! I know they work hard but if you didn't earn it, YOU just didn't earn it!! It'll haunt him though forever because every time he looks at it, he'll know it doesn't truly belong to him. haHA!

I wonder if he feels that way. On the surface, he's playing the "rule" card, but what he really thinks is a mystery. If he thinks as you say above, that he didn't really earn it, but keeps it anyway because of the "rules," then he's a jackass for being so selfish. If deepdown he thinks that he really did deserve it, then he's still a jackass for not being able to sympathize with the Korean. Either way, you can be sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, that Baby Hamm would be throwing a tantrum still. :cry:

Exhaust Port
08-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I find such interest strange. Gymnastics is one of the few events at the Olympics where there are no clear winners. Every competitor is judged against a "perfect" performance and scores are awarded by individuals who make that determination. It's all very vague and has thousands of chances of being inconsistant from one performance to the next and one day to the next. Would Mary Lou's perfect 10's been so perfect 10 years earlier?

No matter what you think of the current situation I find it absurd that .1 points is really the determining factor.....the determining factor as a result of a vague judging environment. It would be one thing if there was instant replay and every performance was carefully judged. Rather we have a system where it's judged in realtime and points are awarded at the conclusion of the event. I always find it hard to believe that a judge can honestly award a 9.4 instead of a 9.5.

Give me your good old fashioned competitions. The fastest, furthest, highest, heaviest, etc. Plain and simple with no doubt. Stop getting all caught up in an artistic interpretation (which is all these darn gym events are anyway). It's like fighting over an art exhibit in a museum. DALI RULES!!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Final thoughts on the Olympics,

*Which one of these is not an Olympic Event: The Biathalon, Triathalon, Pentathalon, Heptathalon, Decathalon? Answer: They all are. People say that the Decathalon is the determining factor of the world's best athelete and I say that is wrong. Maybe the world's best versatile athlete, but I feel the Triathalon is the best measure since competitors have to swim (0.9 miles in Athens), bike (25 miles), and run (6.0 miles) consecutively without stopping. They didn't break to put on their shoes for cycling; they just put them on while pedaling. Combine this with the fact that the cycling featured several grueling, steep uphill parts and the weather in Athens was 90 degrees + there is no doubt this is the better measure of an athlete.

BTW, the modern pentathalon featured cycling, fencing, running, horse jumping, and shooting. What a mish-mash. It was funny cuz they only got to know their horse for twenty minutes before riding, and a few of the horses refused to jump for some of the riders.

*Kudos for Athens for putting on a spectacular games. If the worst thing that happened was that heckler in the Marathon, then the gloom and doom many predicted never came. Now the hard part for the city is to find use for all those venues they don't need.

*They have Olympic Badminton, Table Tennis, Tennis but why not Racquetball? I love that sport and would love to see it make it on the Olympic level. I was surprised to see that wasn't included in the program.

*I agree with your comments EP. With that you could throw out Rhythm gymnastics and ice skating, in which judging has been tainted for years. Remember when the Russian pairs skaters (can't remember if it was ice dancing or pairs skating) were annoited the Gold prior to their performance. They had 2 falls, and many minor missteps, but were awarded the gold despite their poor performance.

*Less than 18 months when the Olympic torch is lighted again, in Italy for the Winter Games. Look very forward to it.
*I was inspired by the games. Since they have been on, I've thought of getting a mountain bike for cycling, archery lessons and have been running a few more miles everyday. Now I gotta pick one and stick with it.