PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the han and Luke stormie cinema scene?

AmanaMatt
08-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I noticed as I am packing to move today that the middle torso on both Han and Luke have yellowed very noticeably - all my stuff is kept in the dark in a temp controlled room away from all sunlight, and still it happended - anyone else has this happened on theirs?

Ji'dai
08-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Nope, mine are still white. I just put them on display recently, but they had been stored in a tub on a closet shelf since I opened them.

The only problems I've had were with paint coming off the prequel figure accessories, like lightsaber hilts and comlinks.

stillakid
08-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I noticed as I am packing to move today that the middle torso on both Han and Luke have yellowed very noticeably - all my stuff is kept in the dark in a temp controlled room away from all sunlight, and still it happended - anyone else has this happened on theirs?

Well you have to let them out to go potty! :sur:

LusiferSam
08-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Can't say I've seen any of post '95 figures yellowed, but then again I've not really looked. I've a couple of questions for you. Are these figures loose or boxed? Is it the whole torso or just part of the torso, like a band? And could be be real specific on how you had them stored?

Deoxyribonucleic
08-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Well you have to let them out to go potty! :sur:

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

AmanaMatt
08-22-2004, 02:04 AM
I've a couple of questions for you. Are these figures loose or boxed? Is it the whole torso or just part of the torso, like a band? And could be be real specific on how you had them stored?

I have two sets: MOC and loose - ironically, the loose set is much less yellowed than the boxed set. Specifially, it is the upper torso - the whole chest area, while the legs, arms and helmet seem relatively the same as when they came out. Well, the loose set is within a comic bag and board - the boxed one is litterally within a cabinet located within a dark (windowless) room. So far, this is my first real sign of any POTF2 yellowing. I ran and checked other Stormtroopers in my collection from the POTF2 line, and they are all ok.

It stands to reason that if this has occurred with mine, it will happen with others, eventually. Hope I am wrong - honestly, I could not have stored my collection any more safely from the elements, so I do not know what is up with the rapid oxidation.

LusiferSam
08-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I have two sets: MOC and loose - ironically, the loose set is much less yellowed than the boxed set. Specifially, it is the upper torso - the whole chest area, while the legs, arms and helmet seem relatively the same as when they came out.
You want to talk irony, I think the box maybe part of the problem rather than the solution. I don't remember if this is the case with this three pack, but a number of them have twist ties a cross the torso, as well as the arms and legs. I know Hasbro used a different plastic in the torso from that in the arms and legs. So my first thought is that you have a chemical reaction going on between the plastic in the torso and the twist tie.

(S)o I do not know what is up with the rapid oxidation.
I'm not sure this is an oxidation process. You live in L.A. right? The famous air quality there may play a hugh role.

It stands to reason that if this has occurred with mine, it will happen with others, eventually. Hope I am wrong - honestly, I could not have stored my collection any more safely from the elements
Well you're very right, this will happen to others. If you would like to stored your figures better I suggest a much cooler environment, like a freezer, under an inert atmosphere, argon is the gas of choose. :crazed:

stillakid
08-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Well you're very right, this will happen to others. If you would like to stored your figures better I suggest a much cooler environment, like a freezer, under an inert atmosphere, argon is the gas of choose. :crazed:

Doesn't NASA allow certain school experiments to travel to the ISS? Maybe we could sponsor a study to examine the effects of long-term zero-g on the yellowing of our toys.

AmanaMatt
08-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Oh, man - that would be funny - could you imagine someone showing off their collection by reaching into the freezer -

Droid
08-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I keep my figures uncarded, in ziploc bags, in totes. Anyone have any thoughts on if the ziploc bags and figures will have some sort of chemical reaction to one another?

Any chance of the figures becoming toxic and one day me opening a tote, being exposed to the special level of radioactivity which will infuse me with new and wondeful powers? (That kind of thing NEVER happens to me. :ermm: )

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 01:16 AM
I just went over and checked my loose set, one that's been on display and open to the elements (dust, open air, and about an hour of direct sunlight a day) for years, and it is REALLY hard to tell because the lights here make a slight yellow tint from the walls. I would say that it is possible mine have gotten a very, VERY slight orangy-yellow tint since I first bought them, but it is so slight that I would generally not have noticed it on my own. The torso pieces (chest and crotch) definitely are a different color from the limbs, but at first glance they seem whiter than the limbs, not yellowed.

Thanks for making me all nervous about my POTF2 figs yellowing. :p ;)

stillakid
08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I just went over and checked my loose set, one that's been on display and open to the elements (dust, open air, and about an hour of direct sunlight a day) for years,

Sounds like you're forgetting to water them every few days.

Ji'dai
08-23-2004, 11:12 PM
I keep my figures uncarded, in ziploc bags, in totes. Anyone have any thoughts on if the ziploc bags and figures will have some sort of chemical reaction to one another?
I've kept all my loose POTF2 & Ep. 1 collection stored that way without problems. I just put them all on display recently and the white plastic parts are still as white as can be.

Any chance of the figures becoming toxic and one day me opening a tote, being exposed to the special level of radioactivity which will infuse me with new and wondeful powers? (That kind of thing NEVER happens to me. :ermm: )
Dude, I have to make sure the windows are open when I get into my display cabinets. I used to love that plastic smell, but the stench of four hundred figures gives me a headache.

tgr3328
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I bought a POTF2 stormtrooper off eBay a year or two back. It had a yellowed torso, but the limbs were still white. I have no idea how it got that way, but it does show that the torso and limbs are different kinds of plastic.

Hellboy
08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Well I just checked my boxed DSE cinema scene and there is no yellowing at all. The plastic twist ties only touch Luke and Han's right elbows and feet not the torso so a chemical reaction between the 2 can be ruled out.

Still sucks that your figures are yellowing but at least it does seem to be an isolated incident. I've yet to see any POTF2 or newer figures fade or change color first hand and hopefully I never will. :nerv: