PDA

View Full Version : Is the AT-AT a 'Space Vehicle' ?

Ryo826
08-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Ok, I have friends that are bickering about if the AT-AT is a space vehicle or not. Here is what the person who thinks that the AT-AT is NOT a space vehicle had to say:" AT-AT, All Terrain Armored Transport. Itís meant to be used on ALL TERRAIN. Terrain is not, and cannot possibly BE space. Space is the lack of matter, and terrain is most definitely matter. " And here is what the person who thinks the AT-AT IS a space vehicle: "The AT-ATs are space vehicles because they're on Hoth/Endor and those places are in space."

The AT-AT is more like a modern day tank, than a space vehicle correct? Modern day tanks are used on earth, and earth is in space, but a tank is definitely not a space vehicle. I know the people on this site have a much more vast knowledge about star wars than the people debating, so please, put an end to the debate and give the solid answer! Thanks.

Pendo
08-22-2004, 05:36 PM
And here is what the person who thinks the AT-AT IS a space vehicle: "The AT-ATs are space vehicles because they're on Hoth/Endor and those places are in space."
Wow, you have truley intelligent friends!

:stupid:

PENDO!

Ryo826
08-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey, I don't agree with him, I think he's stupid too, I just want you guys to shoot him down so he will shutup and give up. He's really stubborn

Kenta
08-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Hey guys!

I'm the one who said the AT-AT is not a space vehicle.

He said it is a space vehicle because hoth is in spacce. I asked if my '92 Explorer was a space vehicle, but he said no, because its a REAL vehicle, and the AT-AT is fictional ( take that as you will...)

I plan on showing this thread to him, but he'll refute it
At least he can't delete this argument here. If you would call it an argument..

Turbowars
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Umm I'd say it's not a space vehicle due to the fact it has legs. It's used on planets that have a stronge gravitational pull. It wouldn't need legs if there was no gravity right. ;)

dr_evazan22
08-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Is your friend an astronaut?

Beast
08-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Perhaps he's an AstroNUT. *Rimshot* ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
08-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Uh, wow, is this what's it's come to? :sur:

For what it's worth, I think that a space vehicle is defined by it having the capability to operate in space of it's own accord. So while an X-Wing can operate successfully both in an atmosphere and in the vacuum of space, it is primarily for space use so it is a "space vehicle." In contrast, as far as we know, a vehicle like the AT AT was designed primarily for terrestrial use so it is not a "space vehicle," even if it managed to get to the surface of a planet on its own power.

Slicker
08-22-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't see how the AT-AT could possible be a "space vehicle". I really don't think that it would be able to withstand the vacuum of space especially with all of the exterior moving parts like the legs, head, guns, etc. I'm not a nerd trying to justify something I just like to make others look bad when they are this wrong.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
AT-ATs have custom dropships (Incom Y-85 Titan dropship...yes that's right, the same company that makes the infamous X-wings for the Rebels also makes a dropship for the Imperials) to land them on planets/terrain ergo, they cannot operate in space so VOILA!...AT-ATs are NOT space worthy vehicles!

:kiss:

:Ogre:

Rocketboy
08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
I knew AT-ATs were basically "dropped off" by another ship, but i assumed it was a Star Destroyer.

This thread almost had me laughing...I keep picturing AT-ATs in space doing a doggy-paddle type thing to move around.

JediTricks
08-22-2004, 10:25 PM
The AT-ATs are indeed carried by a Star Destroyer, there are , the dropship that Deoxy mentioned is simply the means of getting them from the SD to the planet surface. Supposedly, Star Destroyers have 20 AT-ATs, 30 AT-STs, 8 Lambda-class shuttles, 12 landing barges, 6 TIE squadrons, and in some EU manifestations, several transportable bases.

stillakid
08-22-2004, 10:44 PM
The AT-ATs are indeed carried by a Star Destroyer, there are , the dropship that Deoxy mentioned is simply the means of getting them from the SD to the planet surface. Supposedly, Star Destroyers have 20 AT-ATs, 30 AT-STs, 8 Lambda-class shuttles, 12 landing barges, 6 TIE squadrons, and in some EU manifestations, several transportable bases.

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-22-2004, 11:17 PM
there are the dropship that Deoxy mentioned is simply the means of getting them from the SD to the planet surface.

Yeah, that's the reason i mentioned the dropships; to show that they don't fly from the star destroyers to the planets below and therefore are not "space" vehicles. ;)

ps...to this day JT, your avatar cracks me up everytime I look at it! That expression to me represents ~85% of the American population! lol lol

jjreason
08-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, they would take up lots of space. As far as the precipitating argument goes, I would say that the AT-AT can be considered a space vehicle as long as my Ford Taurus can as well - planet Earth is in space too you know. :D

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks Deoxy, I had to invent it because I wanted to represent Farnsworth when he says to Leela something about slack-jawed morons gaping at her eye and then proceeds to do just that, but the images from the show didn't really work without the fantastic audio that accompanies it, so I simplified it down to that normal shot of the Professor I found somewhere and then edited the mouth and facial features for the 2-frame animated gawking look. Later, I figured since this is a SW site, he should be in SW holographic form. :D

The AT-AT is no more a space vehicle than a Toyota is a boat (since that's how both are shipped to their locations before a middleman vehicle carries them to their precise final destinations).

As a kid, I always thought the Super Star Destroyer was made to carry regular Star Destroyers within it, it even has that big open underside like a docking bay or something. That would have been so cool to have a big space ship like that release half a dozen ISDs like a huge swarm of bears that have bees in their mouths. :p