PDA

View Full Version : New "Special" CD's

Imperial Monarche
08-23-2004, 09:55 AM
So, they're gonna release "special" editions to the soundtracks from the first three movies. My question is: Who cares? We got those same soundtracks when the special editions were released in theaters. The only difference is that there's some exclusive songs or something on it. Plus some extras as well. But, most just want the music. Why keep releasing the original trilogy music when the TPM ultimate soundtrack has all the music but in poor form (as in every five seconds is a new track) and the only AOTC soundtrack we have is not even half the music in the movie. If LFL want to keep a continuous track going (like having all the DVD art having the same theme) then why not, along with these new soundtracks, release special edition versions of the two prequals too. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Well, I'll be getting these CDs as I don't have any from the OT. They're rereleasing everything else, why not the CDs?

Pendo
08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Slightly off topic but does anybody remember Johnny Williams saying he was asked to incorporate the Imperial March into A New Hope? Anybody know if that's been done for the DVDs? It'd be interesting to pick up the ANH CD again if it's included.

I have preordered the Trilogy CDs off Play.com. I know I already have them, but what the heck :rolleyes:! Digitally enhanced sound - it's well worth a new purchase!!! :D

PENDO!

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I worked really hard to track down the SE 2-disc soundtracks when I finally scraped up the money, I had to buy the ROTJ one used from the local shop (but at least it was the first version and not the second). I really couldn't care much less about these, not their fancy new transfer technology nor their new distributor. I am curious what will be in those sets musically that wasn't in the SE CDs though.

Kidhuman
08-23-2004, 10:32 PM
I might get them as I dont have any other SW music on CD, tape or vinyl except the SW Christmas album.

rbaumhauer
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
KH - you really should get some version of the soundtracks on CD. I have the 4-disc boxed set and the SE ANH and ESB sets (had no desire to own "Jedi Rocks" or the new end music for ROTJ), and for me, listening to them remains one of the purest ways that I can still enjoy the movies. Somehow, the music evokes the emotions I felt when I saw the movies as a kid much better than actually watching the movies does.

That said, I *HATE* the new CD cover art - they may "coordinate" better with the prequel DVD art (as the DVD OT art will, I guess), but they're absolutely horrible Photoshop mish-mashes of publicity stills (especially ANH), and do absolutely nothing to evoke the emotions that the music does.

Rick

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 11:48 PM
I might get them as I dont have any other SW music on CD, tape or vinyl except the SW Christmas album.
Wow, then I'd really suggest getting them. Owning the OT soundtracks has really been a joy for me, I've played them way more often than the movies themselves.... like Rick said on the next page that I didn't see until I typed this up already. ;)

I haven't even seen the art on these new sets, I'm that disinterested.

JEDIpartner
08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Yeah... the new artwork is cheeseball. It makes the soundtracks look rather cheap. Still, if you've not gotten any of the soundtracks... here's your chance!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Slightly off topic but does anybody remember Johnny Williams saying he was asked to incorporate the Imperial March into A New Hope? Anybody know if that's been done for the DVDs? It'd be interesting to pick up the ANH CD again if it's included.

I have preordered the Trilogy CDs off Play.com. I know I already have them, but what the heck :rolleyes:! Digitally enhanced sound - it's well worth a new purchase!!! :D

PENDO!
Yeah, I remember him saying that a long time ago. That would be cool to hear the Imperial March going as Darth Vader boards the Tantive IV. Much better than that crappy "bad guy theme" thing they have in there now. :D

Is the art the same as on the DVDs themselves?

JEDIpartner
08-25-2004, 02:15 PM
That's not a "crappy bad guy theme"!!! :eek: That's "The Rebel Fanfare"...!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Why keep releasing the original trilogy music when the TPM ultimate soundtrack has all the music but in poor form (as in every five seconds is a new track) and the only AOTC soundtrack we have is not even half the music in the movie.

Actually, we did get an Ultimate Edition of the AOTC soundtrack. Unfortunately it's the TPM UES! Next time you watch AOTC, listen to the music starting about where Ani and Padme jump out of hyperspace to Geonosis. The music is practically verbatim for extremely long segments as scenes in TPM. I'm not just talking about repeating a theme but actual blocks of music exactly as it appeared in EP1. It's like GLu wanted to save some $ and asked JW to score half the movie and he snuck older music into the rest. There are new pieces snuck in here and there, like the Across the Stars (**barf**) theme and the Conveyor Belt sequence.

As for the EP1 UE soundtrack, I think it's great. I don't have a problem with the shortened tracks because they play fine in both my stereo and digitized on my laptop harddrive. I notice no lag whatsoever. One thing that does bug me is how in the short EP1 disc many of the tracks are out of order with the movie. Plus the opening SW theme doesn't continue as it does in the movie, but jumps to the part where the Queen's ship emerges from hyperspace over Coruscant. That disc really bugs me.

I'd like to get the OT music like it was but I bet we won't ever get it. I copied my buddy's disc 4 of the pre-SE box set. It has Lapti Nek (original Jabba's band song), but that isn't the same version as played in ROTJ. Also the final track from ROTJ ends not with the ROTJ credit themes but with the ESB themes. I'd have to get some software to edit it and splice Yub Nub back with the ROTJ end credits to get it close to what the OT plays. Like with Greedo shoots first, I fear we'll always be left with Jedi Rocks and Zamfir the Pan Flute artist version.

El Chuxter
08-27-2004, 06:28 PM
There are two "source" tracks from the OT that have yet to be released that I'm aware of. First is the film version of "Lapti Nek" (like MC mentioned). Second is a jaunty instrumental played en route to the Pit of Carkoon, which was called "Ode to a Master Chef" in the Tales from Jabba's Palace book.

I want 'em both, but I think I want the music from Dex's Diner even more. :(

JediTricks
08-27-2004, 09:44 PM
ManCan, I did notice that Ep 2 recycles a lot of TPM's music, but never picked up that they were in blocks rather than themes. Since I didn't like either film's soundtracks, I never bothered to pay that much attention.

Imperial Monarche
08-31-2004, 12:03 AM
As for the EP1 UE soundtrack, I think it's great. I don't have a problem with the shortened tracks because they play fine in both my stereo and digitized on my laptop harddrive. I notice no lag whatsoever.

I never had any problem playing it either, it's just that there's no long tracks. It's a CD of 10 second tracks. I do like having all the music, though. That's a plus.

I'd have to get some software to edit it and splice Yub Nub back with the ROTJ end credits to get it close to what the OT plays. Like with Greedo shoots first, I fear we'll always be left with Jedi Rocks and Zamfir the Pan Flute artist version.

I actually did that to get the actual music that appears in the movies by cutting and pasting music selections from other tracks. For example, the track where the Emperor arrives at the Death Star is not the same as appears in the movie, but the entire selection is played over different tracks so I just took all the pieces and molded them together.