PDA

View Full Version : Are you a loose or carded collector?

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
A simple issue which has been at the center of many a controversial argument in Star Wars collecting: when it comes to Star Wars figures, are you an opener or not? Some loose collectors feel theirs is the only way to collect, since after all, these are still toys; Some carded collectors are of the opinion that these are little mass-produced works of art meant to be appreciated while taking everything from figure to packaging into account, the OTC line seems to be designed to maximize this effect; still others collect one of each, loose and carded. No matter your reasoning, which camp do you belong to? Vote now and then make your case to support your position.

thanks to stillakid for the inspiration

Kidhuman
08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Gotta go with carded(for now) I dont have room to set up any displays or anything, so what better way to keep all the pieces and figures intact. I might open them one day, but I never know.

Slicker
08-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I chose both. I for the most part am a carded/boxed collector. I like how carded figs look on display more so than loose figs IMO. But I also have a good number of loose figs (nothing on Tycho's scale but that man has a sickness:D ) that I had on display before I stored it all away.

Bobby Fett
08-24-2004, 12:34 AM
I voted for one of each, but I actually collect a core group of characters on the card and display loose anything else that catches my eye.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-24-2004, 12:37 AM
I started out with "both" in 1995 but with all the repacks and prequel figs I didn't want...it got to be overwhelming so now I keep very few carded (and am no longer a completist either which is a big relief) and so I voted for "open 'em!" To me, it's way more fun and that's why I collect star wars...to have fun and play! :D

jeffonthego
08-24-2004, 01:43 AM
I started out with "both" in 1995 but with all the repacks and prequel figs I didn't want...it got to be overwhelming so now I keep very few carded (and am no longer a completist either which is a big relief) and so I voted for "open 'em!" To me, it's way more fun and that's why I collect star wars...to have fun and play! :D
I fall in the same boat. At first I was just so shocked and delighted to see Star Wars back, that I wanted to get them all. I also didn't want to open them, because after bemoaning not having any of the originals left in their packages, this was my chance.

What finally changed things is when a nine-year old kid visited my house. To see his delight at all my figures turn to dismay at not being able to play with them, I realised that I had forgotten what it's all about - they're toys! I cracked a bunch of them open right there and just enjoyed watching him play with them.

That said, I do also feel the other side of the debate. After awhile, I get bored with the ones I have displayed, then they go away into the closet in a plastic bag. So when I look at them later, I do think, 'Was it really worth opening them?'.

The answer I've come up with is that trying to be a completist is foolhardy - I just don't have the cash or space. So giving up on that, about five years ago already, it certainly was a relief. Now I only buy the ones that I really like, and if I really like them, then I figure I might as well open them.

I find the regret comes in when you buy figures and keep them sealed for a long time. That really compounds the guilt of opening them. I think if you want to be able to hold the figures, then best do what you did as a kid - rip 'em open right away when you get home and never look back!

In a perfect world, I'd have a whole set to do what I want with and another whole set to hang up on the walls of my palatial mansion's 'Star Wars wing'. Unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and I'd rather have room in my flat to live than be surrounded by packaged toys. So I try to open them.

Nonetheless, it is with a pang of regret, but this is the same kind of feeling I have of regretting I don't have a million dollars. Nothing I can do about that, so no use dwelling on it.

Darth Jax
08-24-2004, 02:00 AM
i get one of nearly all figs released and leave them on the card. only about 1/3 of them will i get a second (or third/fourth, etc) to open. with repacks becoming more and more common it cuts down on the number of openers i need to get.

plasticfetish
08-24-2004, 03:28 AM
I voted "both," but I'm certainly not buying "one of each."

For the most part, I'm a loose collector. If the figure is great or it's new, unique and looks cool carded, then I'll buy one to keep carded also. A toy has to earn a place in my carded/boxed collection.

Knightfall
08-24-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm a loose collector. This is because I like to display/play around with my figures as well as a space issue. The only time I'll leave a figure packaged is if it's worth a significant amount of money or if it looks particularly good on-card (such as the VOTC).

OC47150
08-24-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm one of these crazies that buys two: one to keep, one to open. Extras are bought on sale or on clearance.

scruffziller
08-24-2004, 08:25 AM

For the most part, I'm a loose collector. If the figure is great or it's new, unique and looks cool carded, then I'll buy one to keep carded also. A toy has to earn a place in my carded/boxed collection.
Ditto on that.

I for the most part have kept them in the card within the last few years unless it is a fig from Jabba's Palace or The Cantina. But now I only buy those figs when they are released. Kitik Keed'kak is finally being released by the way.:)
But I have stopped collecting for the most part.

Quite-Gone Jim
08-24-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm a loose collector. It would be nice to be able to afford both, but, like others have said, money doesn't grow on trees. Why loose? I can get a lot more figures into a display, then I can get with carded figures. Plus even at my advancing age, the kid in me sometimes wants to play with them. Now with a new son, I can see they way he wants to play with them and it really reminds me what the figures are made for. Someday, I'll let him get the same enjoyment out of my figures that I got out of the original toys back in the 70's and 80's.

I'm also likely to stop collecting after Episode III. I can find better ways to spend the money, and I'll have most of the figures anyway.

dindae
08-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Well I started just getting the main line on card. Then I became a completeist on card. Soon I felt the need to open but since all the figures were still around and most on clearance I started my loose collection. Now I buy one of each except vehicles which I only open. The decision to open the vehicles mainly came from the fact that in the POTF2 days there were no window boxes so I could either display a box or a ship which I could paly with (simple decision in my opinion). I may one day ditch the carded collection due to space constraints which is coming sooner that not as you can see.

http://home.comcast.net/~dindae/000_0138.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dindae/000_0139.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dindae/000_0140.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dindae/000_0141.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dindae/000_0142.jpg

DARKNESSETRNL
08-24-2004, 09:37 PM
I went with both because I like them any way I can get them. :D

__________________________________________________ ______________

"DEATH, ETERNAL PUNISHMENT"

Kidhuman
08-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Nice collection Dindae. How do you open the door without the Falcon falling over?

waboritas
08-24-2004, 10:38 PM
I guess I am carded, but I started collecting again back in '96 originally only buying Han Solo figures and 12". Then when things started going on clearance in '97 I got back into it full swing, with the intent of starting the ultimate collection for my future children. Needless to say, once he or she or they are old enogh (4, that is when I started in '77), they will get them in sequence for b-day, christmas, easter, etc from Episode 1-6 over the next 6 years. I can tell you this, I can't wait to get rid of all the boxes and packages!

Ji'dai
08-24-2004, 10:50 PM
I voted both, one of each.

This springs from my childhood when I played with the vintage figures so much the paint came off them. The playwear on my figures always bothered me; and I often wished that I had another set of them still MOC.

So when the modern line began I started buying two of each figure. With the exception of the OTC, I've never collected re-releases or package variations.

I display my loose collection but the carded figures are in storage. I've always considered the carded figures as replacements for their corresponding loose ones in the event something bad should befall one. Have you guys ever had any shelf jumpers - figure suicides? ;)

Although if I ever get room to display my carded collection, I'd probably do a wallpaper display like dindae. Very nice!

stillakid
08-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Wow, there's a lot more carded than I would have guessed. I'm mostly loose...and I take my figures out of the packages....hardy har har :D

Anyway, the only ones I've kept in package are the Anniversary figs, a couple of the fan choices, and all the convention exclusives (and all the silver ones as well.) Those are more about the packages anyway.

Everything else gets opened up. :cool:

vadersvette
08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
I voted loose. I would've voted both, but I have a lot more loose ones than I do carded (I open mostly because of storage, but I do keep the cardbacks, the nametag inserts and the stickers (if any), and throw out the empty bubbles) :crazed:

B'Omarr Monkey
08-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Loose.

I started out buying three of each, one to open, one to keep, and one to trade or give my kids (who didn't exist yet). this stopped with the Mon Mothma wave (before it was heavily discounted and available). I even bought two of any vehicle under $30. Once things became hard to find even one of, I just stuck with being an opener.

Now I only buy one of each, sometimes a second, such as Lars Homestead Padmé, so I can display her with and without the cloak. My kids get their own, and infrequently. They are into other stuff more than SW (traitors!), though they still play with the toys on occassion.

The only thing that I haven't opened yet are the vehicles, screen scenes and the animated Clone Wars figures. The Screen Scenesand the vehicles are still in their boxes because I don't have any place to display them yet, and I figure this minimizes damage in the meantime. The Clone Wars packaging is too nice to ope---yet. I'm sure I'll break down and do it eventually.

jedi-cpa
08-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm a MIP collector.
Dindae, nice collection, looks familiar, except for all the doubles.
Also, I am a MIP every vehicle cinema scene, scene pack everything. THat is the stuff that really takes up the space.

All of my stuff is actually packed away at the moment. Sad really...it has made me think about getting rid of the collection. But 27 years of collecting...

jedi master sal
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
A toy has to earn a place in my carded/boxed collection.

Ah, you've hit that one on the head for me. I'm mostly an opener. Only the really HTF stuff I may keep on card or in the box. Some rare things do look better displayed in the box, but only a rare few to me. For instance the 12 inch Speeder bike sets are all still in the box.
I find that I am buying more like a 1/1 collector (1 carded, 1 loose), but that's not for every fig. Although I will be a mostly carded collector for the OTC line. Just the new ones will I get an extra and open them up.
I don't have the kind of room I need to display all of my stuff so since last summer, I've been steadily progressing with inventorying my collection. Each fig w/accessories goes into their own pastic bag. From there I carefully put about 20-25 figs in a freezer bag and then put them in a plastic tub for storage. So far, I have just over 40 48gallon tubs, and 3 60gallon tubs, with Episode One toys still to inventoy plus all the new stuff that I keep buying. This also doesn't include all of the stuff I have kept carded/boxed/mint.

I wish there were more choices rather than just open, carded, 1/1. I'm mostly an opener, but about 15% of my collection is now carded/boxed/mint.

I voted loose. I would've voted both, but I have a lot more loose ones than I do carded (I open mostly because of storage, but I do keep the cardbacks, the nametag inserts and the stickers (if any), and throw out the empty bubbles)

Ah, a person after my own heart. I too do this will the packaging. The bubbles get tossed, but I save all of the cardboard. I've even carefully cut out the "nametag" area that was a sticker on the bubbles in past lines. I've got one huge plastic tub that's devoted to just the opened printed packaging. (This is not one of the tubs mentioned above)

With now approx 2000 3 3/4 figures plus vehicles/ships, 12inch, lego, action fleet etc... I can't possibly show everything in a two bedroom apartment. Being an army builder doesn't help when you're trying to make space for other things, like furniture. Ooh, I can't wait to create my huge battle of Geonosis diorama. With over 200 clones, 70 red battle droids, two dozen super battle droids, 12 spider droids, 3 hailfire droids, 4 gunships, 1 command gunship and plenty of Jedi, that's going to be one awesome opened and displayed battle scene/diorama. Plus I keep adding to these totals as I find figs on clearance or "lots" on eBay. NOW, where's my darned AT-TE! I would have bought at least 5 of those!

Some may argue that those figures would look more cool tacked onto a wall, like wallpaper, but I think personally that dioramas are the way to go.

Okay so after all that, I vote opener.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2004, 06:17 PM
I have some loose figures (30 or so) but I mostly do carded figures. From 1995-now I have about 370 carded figures. :) I don't want to loose any accessories and those write-up paragraphs that appear on the cards can be pretty cool.

B.
TDV

Gonk 1979
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I have 474 carded figs according to Wedge's Collection Engine. Most of my friends who are openers are putting their figs away in storage because display space is limited and, lets face it, it's not too attractive to have loose figs displayed when not in a diorama. I don't have to worry about "display" space - my figures are on my walls carded. I have a shelf for all of my unleashed and my boxed vehicles, but thats it. I say, if you're going to display them in a cool diorama or scene, then open. If you're going to open 'em and line them up on a shelf with no backdrop then I say "NOOOOO!". I don't know, that just seems horribly tacky. Wallpapering your walls with no space between the figs seems tacky too - that's overkill. Me, I have a small space on my wall for, say, orange cards, where there is a space in between each figure and only orange cards are in that area. A foot or two later I'll display Expanded Universe. Sure, this doesn't allow for ALL my figs to get wall space, but I doubt 500 action figures would fit on my walls anyway.

Kopach
08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I say open them up. They're not going to be worth anything if everyone keeps them carded anyway. That's what makes the original figures so great, no one knew any better. It's no fun setting them up carded or keeping them stored away in some box in your closet. C'mon how's Luke going to take on the Empire and save Han from Jabba if he's trapped in a bubble.

LusiferSam
08-25-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm a loose collector. At the end of the day its a toy. Toys were meant to be
played with. That means opening them. After all what fun is a toy in a box? That's
why I don't understand carded collectors or their need to keep thing packaged.
And I've to say buying one for each I think is a waist of money. But to each his
own.

JediTricks
08-26-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm a loose collector and have been since day 1. Like some of you, I do keep the cardbacks, inserts, and any special bubble stickers, but that's about it. I have a handful of carded figures, but it's only rarities. (I also have some carded trade bait, but that's a horse of a different color.)

However, if the line had been like the OTC packaging since '95, I would have a LOT more carded pieces, I love the mini-diorama look of these carded figures (though the cardback is ugly as sin ;)) and would probably get carded doubles of around 30 to 40% of my figures.

Stilla, I agree, I am surprised to see so many carded collectors and both collectors. To each his own, of course, but it's still a little weird to think of all the toy goodness being missed out (though some figures should remain carded :p).

OC47150
08-26-2004, 08:20 AM
I keep all my loose accessories in a shoebox-size plastic storage bin, the type that runs about $1 at Target. I haven't had to match specific accessories to specific figures; if so, I'd have to consult a guide.

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
NOW, where's my darned AT-TE!

Agreed. We need one in a bad way.

thomasandrea-call
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I perfer them loose. I have over 500 Star Wars Action figures not including the 300 my son has, from all the different movies and trying to find places to store some 500 MOMC figures would be hard for me. As it is I do not have all my figures displayed. I do also understand the reason to keep them on cards, I have seen what the old vintage carded figures have been going on e-bay so that is why I do have certain ones on cards. The up coming release of the Pablo Jill figures as well as the new padame figure I will keep as well on the MOMC and loose, as will I for the complet Revenge of the Sith movie figures. I guess I will hope to find a bigger place then a small two bedroom apartment.

Brad

skeeziks22
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM

I voted carded... but more accuratley I'm just the opposite of PF. The figure has to earn a place in my collection to be opened. For example... Luke and Wampa look great connected, as do the current Dagobah figures. Other openers include the Executor meeting Bounty Hunters.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I have 474 carded figs according to Wedge's Collection Engine. Most of my friends who are openers are putting their figs away in storage because display space is limited and, lets face it, it's not too attractive to have loose figs displayed when not in a diorama. I don't have to worry about "display" space - my figures are on my walls carded.

I disagree. I used to have a tall table in the back of my office at home, which had all of my loose figures displayed, all facing forward in staggered rows, and it really looked cool, I thought, and whenever anyone else saw it there was a bit of amazement at the sheer number of figures produced, as well as the variety. This was about four yeras ago, and I have twice as many now. The only problem I had was the domino effect, compounded because I was living in Beverly Hills at the time, so all those micro earthquakes became annoying.

I plan of displaying them again in a similar fashion, only this time, no deeper than 3-4 rows, and I'd like to do it in tiered rows so the figures in the back aren't blocked by the ones in the front. I also plan to mount pegs into the shelves to stand them on. There is something to be said for allowing the figure to stand out as it's own piece, without the distraction of backgrounds and settings (not that I'm in any way against dioramas, I love them, I just don't have the space for any large scale ones) I loved the little display stand that came out with the Early Bird package back in 1977.

I hated the way the stands looked, not to mention how much space they took up that way. I will concede that displaying them on their action stands in groups of three here and one there does not look so great. At their 3 3/4" inch scale, there's no way to make an individual figure look like anything but a misplaced toy. It is a little saan action figure version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

One of the things about the MOC collections I see tacked up onto the wall like wall paper, is those do look a little tacky IMO, also what you're seeing is a sea of green cards and not the figures on the cards. the figures themselves are entirely lost in a sea of packaging.

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 12:13 PM
I hagd my figures hung on a wall at one point. The key is to seperate the lines.

95-orange
96-99 - green
EP1-red
POTJ-red
Saga-Blue
CW-White
OTC-Black.

If you do it that way there is a distinct difference in the color, plus it is like a timeline. The only problem I ran into was when it filled up the entire room and I had no where else to put the figures. I will say Saga was the worst for this since 3 years of figures where on the same colored card. At least POTF2 had different things, so it kind of broke it up.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I don't know if this is funny or sad, but I knew someone who put their most prized MOC figures on a wall in one room of his apartment. There were a lot of the variants on this wall, like the half-circle Boba Fetts and the Jedi Luke from the SE screening. One day he opened the door to this room to show someone his collection, when the doorknob crunched the packaging for his Weequay with the slide. I don't know if the wind pulled the door open too hard, or what -- I wasn't there. All I know is the bubble for Weequay was completely crushed in, and the impact had caused one of the sides to lift from the card. there was no saving it. :cry: :cry:

I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere, for me it was keeping a straight face when he told me this story. lol

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 12:39 PM
The lesson is dont put figures behind the door without checking the area first. That was the first thing I checked. I opened the door all the way and checked where the knob went. I made the correct calculations by putting figures around the door knob area and leaving that area plus 4" around completely barren. Used an extra long door stopper as well, about a 6", one so the cards had plenty of clearance behind the door.

Ji'dai
08-26-2004, 03:46 PM
If you're going to open 'em and line them up on a shelf with no backdrop then I say "NOOOOO!". I don't know, that just seems horribly tacky.
This is precisely what I've done this year. I don't have enough room to setup large dioramas so the best I could do was build some wall-mounted display cabinets to show off my loose figures. My goal is to display every figure in my collection. I suppose when I get tired of that I could put many away and just do mini-dioramas on each shelf.

This pic is a close-up shot of one of my cabinets. Each shelf is only 5.75" deep, but I put in styrofoam strips to make three tiered rows.

Figures from Hoth & Jabba's Palace
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033028_244.jpg

Gonk 1979
08-26-2004, 07:13 PM
I disagree. I used to have a tall table in the back of my office at home, which had all of my loose figures displayed, all facing forward in staggered rows, and it really looked cool, I thought, and whenever anyone else saw it there was a bit of amazement at the sheer number of figures produced, as well as the variety. This was about four yeras ago, and I have twice as many now. The only problem I had was the domino effect, compounded because I was living in Beverly Hills at the time, so all those micro earthquakes became annoying.

I plan of displaying them again in a similar fashion, only this time, no deeper than 3-4 rows, and I'd like to do it in tiered rows so the figures in the back aren't blocked by the ones in the front. I also plan to mount pegs into the shelves to stand them on. There is something to be said for allowing the figure to stand out as it's own piece, without the distraction of backgrounds and settings (not that I'm in any way against dioramas, I love them, I just don't have the space for any large scale ones) I loved the little display stand that came out with the Early Bird package back in 1977.

I hated the way the stands looked, not to mention how much space they took up that way. I will concede that displaying them on their action stands in groups of three here and one there does not look so great. At their 3 3/4" inch scale, there's no way to make an individual figure look like anything but a misplaced toy. It is a little saan action figure version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

One of the things about the MOC collections I see tacked up onto the wall like wall paper, is those do look a little tacky IMO, also what you're seeing is a sea of green cards and not the figures on the cards. the figures themselves are entirely lost in a sea of packaging.

I don't know, but being a loose collector seems like it would take up too much space. For me, I have ONE room for my "stuff" to be displayed - it's my play room. And while %90 of it is SW, I still have my PC in there, my treadmill, my game systems, a couch, etc. If I were a LOOSE collector, where would all my figures go? I know for a fact that a lot of you guys with 300+ figs loose have some of them baggied up in the closet. Plus, on the "display" front, I think carded gives it a cleaner look. I'll open my figs if I use them in a diorama, but not to just stand them there in a line with 499 of my other figures taking up space and getting dusty. Like I said, I have a "orange card" section, an "expanded universe" section, Saga section, etc on my wall. The figs are SPACED and SEPARATED so theres not that "no sight of the wall" thing going, and not all are up there, but I choose my faves for wall space.

Here's the thing to remember - I can ALWAYS still open my figs if I choose to. Once you're an opener, however, there's no going back. So atleast I still have the choice, unlike my friend who now wishes he was a carded instead of loose collector.

dindae
08-26-2004, 07:57 PM

Yes it is tacky but I'm not Martha Stewart so I don't really care. I'm trying to keep it contained to my computer room and the garage (my loose stuff). My feeling is if it isn't displayed then it isn't worth having. I've tried to minimize the amount of packaging showing without bending the cards. I'm sure there are prettier ways to display but I haven't seen a better alternative to the wallpaper method as far as economy goes (both space and financially). If anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Slicker
08-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't know if this is funny or sad, but I knew someone who put their most prized MOC figures on a wall in one room of his apartment. There were a lot of the variants on this wall, like the half-circle Boba Fetts and the Jedi Luke from the SE screening. One day he opened the door to this room to show someone his collection, when the doorknob crunched the packaging for his Weequay with the slide. I don't know if the wind pulled the door open too hard, or what -- I wasn't there. All I know is the bubble for Weequay was completely crushed in, and the impact had caused one of the sides to lift from the card. there was no saving it. :cry: :cry:

I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere, for me it was keeping a straight face when he told me this story. lolThis may be mean to say but, HAW!!!:evil:

stillakid
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
This is precisely what I've done this year. I don't have enough room to setup large dioramas so the best I could do was build some wall-mounted display cabinets to show off my loose figures. My goal is to display every figure in my collection. I suppose when I get tired of that I could put many away and just do mini-dioramas on each shelf.

This pic is a close-up shot of one of my cabinets. Each shelf is only 5.75" deep, but I put in styrofoam strips to make three tiered rows.

Figures from Hoth & Jabba's Palace
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033028_244.jpg

How do you keep them all standing up? Why don't you use Realstands or something else? :confused:

Ji'dai
08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Plus, on the "display" front, I think carded gives it a cleaner look. I'll open my figs if I use them in a diorama, but not to just stand them there in a line with 499 of my other figures taking up space and getting dusty. Dust is a major concern for me too - I mean who wants to dust hundreds of figures? But all of my display cabinets are enclosed by doors with large display windows. They are basically just large shadow boxes with shelves. I built these five cabinets this year:

2 Star Wars Cabinets:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824032734_249.jpg
1 Buffy Cabinet & Star Wars Poster:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033126_568.jpg
1 Star Wars Cabinet & 1 Misc. Figure Cabinet:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033237_583.jpg
"The Hoth Cube" (Mini-Hoth Display):
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824032612_632.jpg

Here's the thing to remember - I can ALWAYS still open my figs if I choose to. Once you're an opener, however, there's no going back. So atleast I still have the choice, unlike my friend who now wishes he was a carded instead of loose collector.Well, I collect two of each, one to open, one to keep carded. But I know what you're saying.

How do you keep them all standing up? Why don't you use Realstands or something else? :confused:Remarkably, the majority of the figures actually do stand up on their own. But there are a stubborn few that get realstands or commtech chips because they won't stand. My cabinets are wall-mounted and independent of the floor, and thus isolated from vibrations from the ground. I am on an earthquake faultline here in Indiana believe it or not, but we've only had the slightest of tremors. Nothing major since 1811 anyway :nerv:

B'Omarr Monkey
08-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures, Ji'dai. That's very similar to what I'm planning to do with mine. I'm actually planning to insert dowels into the steps though that will fit the holes in the bottom of their feet. I know from experience that most of them stand pretty well on their own, but there's some that you've got to put in really odd poses to get them to stay up making them look like their in a limbo contest, and earning them names like "Han the Pelvis."

I also like what you did with the Tauntauns and Probe droid.

One suggestion. Get those Hellboy toys out of their packaging. It's the best thing I ever did. Sammael looks amazing gazing down from a shelf above my head.

As for whoever brought up dust concerns, I never had much of a problem myself. I was constantly rearranging the display as new figures were acquired. I'd have to move them around just so I could get some of the taller figures in the back, and whenevere I did this everything got a dusting down.

if I do shelving similar to Ji'dae, I'm putting on a glass front to minimize the problem.

I also recall seeing someone's pictures who made really big shadow cabinets, where every figure got it's own box. the cabinets were really shallow, too, and painted dark, so everything really stood out. It was like having all the blisters without the cards, only much nicer. I wish I could remember what site I saw those on. It was afew years ago, so they're probably gone now anyway.

skeeziks22
08-27-2004, 11:34 AM
2 Star Wars Cabinets:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824032734_249.jpg
1 Buffy Cabinet & Star Wars Poster:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033126_568.jpg
1 Star Wars Cabinet & 1 Misc. Figure Cabinet:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824033237_583.jpg
"The Hoth Cube" (Mini-Hoth Display):
http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040824032612_632.jpg

I like the cases you made... very nice. I take it from the photos that you are a single man. How else can you explain having enough time to make such nice cases (oh yeah, and the calendar and wallpaper on the comp screen is another clue ;) )

LusiferSam
08-27-2004, 12:02 PM
I hagd my figures hung on a wall at one point. The key is to seperate the lines.

95-orange
96-99 - green
EP1-red
POTJ-red
Saga-Blue
CW-White
OTC-Black.

POTJ was green. No SOTE for purple or vintage for black?

Kidhuman
08-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Correct. POTJ was/is still green. I didnt get SOTE because I am not into EU, and I dont have any Vintage carded. :cry:

Deoxyribonucleic
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I think loose figs can look GREAT with or without dioramas. I built little two inch shelves (they stick out only two inches from the wall) all over my walls in different lengths and dislay some of my loose figs on those! With my red walls (and one black) and black trim and doors, it really makes my movie posters and figures stand out beautifully. The pic below is just a small sample of how the shelves look.

Great pics ji'dai, thanks for sharing! :)

Gonk 1979
08-27-2004, 07:31 PM
....looks like it's dead even - only 5 votes separate the LOOSE vs. CARDED debate (197 to 192 votes). It seems like a lot of you loose collectors seem to think that the majority of collectors are openers and that us carded guys are in the minority and odd-balls, but atleast this will open your eyes to see that it's truly a split down the middle. The whole vibe I get from the posts is that the carded guys are like "yeah, if you want to go ahead and open them but I'll keep them packaged", but the openers seem to be a little more in the camp of thinking that carded is just plain wrong. Well, it seems as if it's as divided as the Bush/Kerry split, and I think this will finally open up a lot of openers eyes who think that loose is the only way to go.

JediTricks
08-27-2004, 10:08 PM
As a loose collector living in LA, I have had very little trouble with earthquakes knocking down my figures, and for a long time I didn't use any stands at all (now about 40% of my figs are on an Ultarama stand display).

SithDroid
08-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Well I voted for open only, though from 1995 till the end of 2002 I collected one to open and one to collect in the package. But I relaized that having something staring at me from behind some plastic is not that thrilling anymore. So now I only buy one and open it up. And plus it's not like these things are going to be worth anything. I have been trying forever to sell my carded collection and it seems like people are only interested in the RARE pieces, so for those of you collecting because you think it is a good investment it isn't going to be.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-28-2004, 12:46 AM
....looks like it's dead even - only 5 votes separate the LOOSE vs. CARDED debate (197 to 192 votes). It seems like a lot of you loose collectors seem to think that the majority of collectors are openers and that us carded guys are in the minority and odd-balls, but atleast this will open your eyes to see that it's truly a split down the middle. The whole vibe I get from the posts is that the carded guys are like "yeah, if you want to go ahead and open them but I'll keep them packaged", but the openers seem to be a little more in the camp of thinking that carded is just plain wrong. Well, it seems as if it's as divided as the Bush/Kerry split, and I think this will finally open up a lot of openers eyes who think that loose is the only way to go.

Loose is the only way to go. :D Sure it's a fifty-fifty split, that jst means that half of the people in this poll are wrong. Bunch of odd balls is right. ;) :p

LusiferSam
08-28-2004, 02:11 AM
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment, all but the carded folks being the minority only because most of the people I know on this site are carded. Yeah I do see the carded collectors as odd balls. I may not come right out and say "keeping toys in their packaged is wrong" but its close to how I feel. And this poll/thread will do very little to change my mind or "open my eyes" as you said.

Ji'dai
08-28-2004, 11:24 AM
I did stop opening figs in late '99, but my enthusiasm for collecting was beginning to wan last year. Buying carded figures, sticking them in storage and putting a check mark in the spreadsheet was oddly satisfying for a while. But I had to start opening again to reconnect with the hobby. Guess I still need to play with the toys to some extent. :D

Thanks for posting those pictures, Ji'dai. That's very similar to what I'm planning to do with mine. I'm actually planning to insert dowels into the steps though that will fit the holes in the bottom of their feet.
Man, that sounds complicated!

One suggestion. Get those Hellboy toys out of their packaging. It's the best thing I ever did. Sammael looks amazing gazing down from a shelf above my head.
The Hellboy figs will be freed soon. I don't have any places to display them yet so they wait until the next figure rotation in Sept.

I like the cases you made... very nice. I take it from the photos that you are a single man. How else can you explain having enough time to make such nice cases (oh yeah, and the calendar and wallpaper on the comp screen is another clue ;) )
I started the first cabinet in January; it took about a month to make. But after that I could turn them out in a couple of weeks. Being unemployed is the real secret though - lots o' free time during this wonderful depression. :bored: :bored:

I built little two inch shelves (they stick out only two inches from the wall) all over my walls in different lengths and dislay some of my loose figs on those!
I like that idea! And you have figures I don't have, like the hooded Leia. Man, I'm jealous.

Slicker
08-28-2004, 12:37 PM
And plus it's not like these things are going to be worth anything. I have been trying forever to sell my carded collection and it seems like people are only interested in the RARE pieces, so for those of you collecting because you think it is a good investment it isn't going to be.The only figure I can honestly say that I've bought for the money was the orange carded POTF 2 Lando. That was the first Star Wars item I ever bought and it got me started down the dark path of collecting. Obviously the monetary investment of the individual figure wasn't worth it but buying that single figure got me into a whole new world. I've spent tons of money on my collection and I don't regret spending a penny of it knowing that I would never see half of that money returned to me if I were ever to sell my collection (don't worry that'll never happen).

I'm not in this thing for the money I'm in it because I like to collect and I get to meet really good people (i.e. all of the people that post in here) and it helps to take your mind off of reality.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-28-2004, 01:56 PM
The whole vibe I get from the posts is that the carded guys are like "yeah, if you want to go ahead and open them but I'll keep them packaged", but the openers seem to be a little more in the camp of thinking that carded is just plain wrong.

speak for yourself. I was a "both", ran out of room for all my momc, had a june christmas and opened most of my carded and had a blast putting them up in dioramas and playing with them! I've never thought it bad to keep them carded as I did once myself, I just personally think, from experience, that they are more fun loose! I think too that you over exagerate about most loose collectors "dissing" carded collectors...I've seen only a few negative remarks as I also have from carded collectors toward those who open.

Hellboy
08-28-2004, 04:20 PM
I voted "both," but I don't buy duplicates of everything. I do buy one of every single carded figure for my MOC collection but pass on most packaging variations. If the figure is a quality sculpt I buy another to open and I usually buy at least 4 of all army bulider type figures as well. I open all of my vehicles and on occasion I'll buy an extra if it's in a really nice window box.

Building dioramas and recreating scenes from the films is where I get most of my enjoyment because the carded figures I buy just get hung on the walls of my toy room. If I was forced to collect one way or the other for whatever reason I'd go with opening.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-28-2004, 04:48 PM
I voted both but I don't buy two of every figure. Most of my collection is carded now. Most of what I have opened are army builder types. There are a few figures that I have both POTF2 Green and Slide cards so I opened the plain one. I also have four of those E1 foreign cards that included a bonus battle droid so I opened those since I had the regular E1 figures still on cards. Most recently, I bought the C-3PO and Darth Vader carrying cases and opened the figures that came with them since they are basically reissues of previous figures. I've not opened many vehicles, but I have opened the OTC Falcon and the Queen's Starship.

Normally, I wouldn't buy the recarded figures, but the OTC packaging looks so cool that I've decided to get them, and maybe I will open the older versions. I still need to figure out how I want to display my figures. I'm not very handy or creative. I think I am more afraid of pounding holes in my wall than of opening figures.

Gonk 1979
08-29-2004, 10:00 PM
I think I am more afraid of pounding holes in my wall than of opening figures.

I was that way too until I found these cheap 3M mounting hooks at WalMart. They come 6 to a package for like $2 and come off the walls cleanly with no surface damage. They are PERFECT for hanging carded figs. And if you ever decide to move they sell the mounting tape in bulk packages so all you have to do is just clean off your hooks and reuse them. That's what I'm currently doing - no holes in my wall, thank you very much.

Slicker
08-29-2004, 10:06 PM
I never even thought to use those things. I've always just used thumb tacks to hang my figures. Sometimes I would have to put it in the wall 5 or 6 times to get the figure just right on the wall. The 3M hooks could still get a little pricey if you have alot of figures but I might have to try that when I display my collection again. Thanks!

Kidhuman
08-29-2004, 10:16 PM
I stick with push pins. A quick coat of paint seals it right up when you move. If not, use toothpaste to fill the holes.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2004, 11:23 PM
I'll keep those hooks in mind. However, if I decide to open the figures, I'd like to display them on shelves of some sort. I might try getting some Ultaramas as well. For now, I've got a large stack of boxes filled with figures sitting in my extra bedroom. Most of my vehicles and bigger items are in the closet along with my Lord of the Rings figures. And then there is my collection of Pocket Pro and gumball football helmets. I should have bought a house with a big rec room to put all this stuff in. Oh well, something to work towards in the future.

JediTricks
08-29-2004, 11:41 PM
I was that way too until I found these cheap 3M mounting hooks at WalMart. They come 6 to a package for like $2 and come off the walls cleanly with no surface damage. They are PERFECT for hanging carded figs. And if you ever decide to move they sell the mounting tape in bulk packages so all you have to do is just clean off your hooks and reuse them. That's what I'm currently doing - no holes in my wall, thank you very much.
8 to a pack if you use the mini Command hooks. The only thing I don't like is that they take an hour to set before you can use them. I'm currently using them for my Batman Corgi 1/43rd vehicles (new at WM) and they're holding up well but I think the cards are showing a VERY slight bending because the hooks can't be flat against the wall.

If not, use toothpaste to fill the holes.I did that when I realized how many holes my dartboard left, but it still smells a little like peppermint. ;) I have to wonder, is wood putty (the stuff that you're SUPPOSED to use) really that much more expensive? I have my Toy Fair Vader on a thumbtack as well as my OTC Stormtrooper.

SirSteve
08-30-2004, 07:49 PM
I still get 1 of each... not for resale value but because I like the look of a carded figure, especially the OTC.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Man, that sounds complicated!

More time consuming than complicated I would say. Just one of the reasons why I haven't done it yet.

aceguide
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Set them free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have a small amount of still packaged items that I like to display, and a huge number of unopened figs. I have found that playing with them while still on the card is not so much fun :crazed:

stillakid
09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
As we speak, my kids are having a blast playing with all the OT figures I pulled out. My daughter wanted to play with the Ewok Village set. They wound up mixing the Playskool stuff in there too. Playskool R2D2 ended up in the Playskool Xwing at one point prompting her to say, "R2 is the most powerful Jedi ever!"

Jaff
09-02-2004, 11:35 PM
My main priority is my loose collection. I get one of everything loose as long as it's a new figure or an improved version of a figure allready made. I also collect two packaged figures of every type of card. However thanks to the OTC collection and the Vintage collection I now get every packaged figure too. However I will not buy any OTC that is from the Episode I and II films. I'll just get them loose.

Deoxyribonucleic
09-03-2004, 02:26 AM
As we speak, my kids are having a blast playing with all the OT figures I pulled out. My daughter wanted to play with the Ewok Village set. They wound up mixing the Playskool stuff in there too. Playskool R2D2 ended up in the Playskool Xwing at one point prompting her to say, "R2 is the most powerful Jedi ever!"

THIS is what it's all aboot to me! That brought great visuals and a big hurkin' smile!

:D

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm a carded and boxed collector! I try to get two each of as many figures as I can(although I doubt I have a complete collection of any paticular line), but my collecting has slowed over the past 2 years. I rarely open anything, although with the boxed stuff I do remove the tape so the boxes don't get ruined over time! Sometimes a little glue residue is left but I've gotten pretty good at removing it altogether, and without causing any tears! :cool:

stillakid
09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
THIS is what it's all aboot to me! That brought great visuals and a big hurkin' smile!

:D

Some pictures of her imagination at work...

JediTricks
09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Playskool 3PO looks a little jealous of Spirit Yoda there. :D

Kidhuman
09-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Nice set up kid.