PDA

View Full Version : Auto insurance warning

Exhaust Port
08-24-2004, 09:01 PM
My billing cycle is about to renew at the end of this month so I recently received the insurance packet from the insurance company. You know, the new car, accident reporting guidelines etc...

This new year will have one less car on the policy as I just donated my old beater to Volunteers of America so I expected the insurance to be lower by about $15/month. Much to my suprise the insurance was $700 more for the year which is almost a 100% increase. What the heck happened.

I put a call into the insurance company to see what the deal was. I had reported an "accident" (I use that term lightly) last year but it was very minor. I had backed into a car in a parking lot and left a minor scratch on their bumper. I tracked down the owner and gave him my info to fix his bumper. I also had a speeding ticket early in 2003.

It turns out that the minor bumper incident was a freebie and didn't alter my insurance rates BUT there was another accident reported! On the same day as the speeding ticket an accident was listed. No claim was ever filed for it but since it was shown on my driving record I was penalized for it in my insurance premium. Now, I know for a fact that I never had an accident on that day but little that did to change my bill.

Apparently insurance companies don't gather driver information directly from state records but from a 3rd party company that pools information from all the states and sells it to the insurance companies. What my insurance company was showing was supposedly pulled from my official driving record.

I put a quick call into the local BMV (or DMV if aren't from OH) to ask about my driving record. The nice lady on the phone pulled up my record and sure enough didn't show any accidents. The BMV pulls their information straight from the court records so there is no disputing it.

Now it's up to me to straighten this out. I wasted a good part of the day driving to another city to get an official copy of my driving record. Tomorrow I'm going to fax it into the insurance company where it will hopefully make it into the right hands. I'm assured that once they verify the error that my insurance cost will be corrected.

It's not the fault of the insurance company so I can't blame them for uping my insurance cost but it does throw some egg on their face as they acted on bad information. It does cast a poor light on this 3rd party company though. I'm hoping to gather a bit more information regarding the error and the company and file a claim with the BBB. False records like this, whether intentional or not, have implications well beyond the scope of this company and they need to be avoided if not fined.

I'll let you know if anything becomes of this and if it gets resolved. Just goes to show it's always worth a call if you don't like what you see.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Good luck with that, Exhaust Port. It sounds like you're on the right track. I sympathize with you about the wasted time taking care of other's mistakes. I had the same problem once with our phone bill. I don't remember the specifics, but service was going to be turned off for nonpayment. Not only had it been payed on time for years, but I'd never gotten any warning notices.

Sure enough, the mistake was the phone company's but it involved a lot of phone calls, and legwork on my part, getting copies of cancelled checks, etc, which I had to bring in in person. I didn't even get an apology from the phone company for their mistake, or the inconvenience it placed on me.

What I really should have received was some free phone service to make up for it, like smaller businesses offer when they make a mistake. It makes me want to start billing these companies for the time it takes me to straighten out their errors.

stillakid
08-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Big businesses and government almost never apologize for mistakes even if they eventually admit them and agree to fix the problem. They make the claim that their procedures save more money in the long run which makes the occasional mistake worthwhile. Bah! It makes you want to move to the woods and mail bombs to people... :Pirate:

Slicker
08-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Bah! It makes you want to move to the woods and mail bombs to people... :Pirate:You are about the only person in these forums that can make me laugh out loud in front of my computer. It's lines like this that make me do it. Keep the laughs coming stilla.

Exhaust Port
08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Ugh. Well I finally got this straightened out.

I called today to verify the fax information to send my driving record into the insurance company. The lovely first rep. I talked to had no idea what I was referring to and stated "there is no accident on that date and your policy has doubled for other reasons." Wha?!

Her explaination was that the previous person I talked to gave me incorrect information. I found it hard to believe that some could see an "imaginary" accident and state justification for it raising my rates. She said my bumper bump was reason enough from the rates to double even those that increase was twice the cost of the repair. She said my "risk" increased. I bump a bumper at 1 mph for the first time in over 11 years and I'm a risk? Look out I'm a dangerous man!!!

I laid out all the information I had been given last time and this rep. just denied or stated that they were all errors on the previous rep.'s part. Basically "tough @#$%" was her answer. Off to her supervisor I went....

Within 1 minute her supervisor listed off my insurance infractions and included the "mystery" accident that the first rep. had denied existed. What was that first girl looking at?

The supervisor was nice enough and gave me the required fax and contact information for sending my driving record but then gave me a "can you hold for a minute." :rolleyes: When she came back she told me everything was taken care of and no further information was required from me. She marked this error to a data entry error or as she said "someone hit the wrong key." Nice. The rate have been corrected and are back to what they should have been.

I also got a better explanation of the 3rd party companies they use for gathering data. These 3rd parties gather data from insurance companies not state records and share that information with other insurance companies. If you should have an accident but were unable to have a police report filed there is no record of said accident other than from insurance claims. Those claims are shared so someone can't bounce from one company to the next without those incidents following them.

stillakid
08-25-2004, 10:33 AM
You are about the only person in these forums that can make me laugh out loud in front of my computer. It's lines like this that make me do it. Keep the laughs coming stilla.

It wasn't supposed to be "funny." By the way, what's your address?

;)

Deoxyribonucleic
08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Within 1 minute her supervisor listed off my insurance infractions and included the "mystery" accident that the first rep. had denied existed. What was that first girl looking at?

You really wanna know? I may be a lady, but I can/will and do curse as well as the sailor on the ship nextdoor! ;)

Glad you have everything worked out EP!! :)

Exhaust Port
08-25-2004, 07:13 PM
You really wanna know? I may be a lady, but I can/will and do curse as well as the sailor on the ship nextdoor! ;)
Are you related to my girlfriend? She makes me blush at times.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
She's my best friend and I don't even know her :sur: :p

Exhaust Port
08-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Well I'll have to make sure you 2 never cross paths. I believe that could end up being the start of the apocolyse. :D ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
08-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Damn #&*$&$$* straight!

I mean darn tootin' :nerv: