PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Variations

DeathStarPlans
12-22-2001, 08:46 AM
Anyone here know how many variations were in the vintage line? For example: Hoth Leia with black hair / red hair -- Han Big / small head -- Teebo light /dark stripes. What was the last count? Anyone?:crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
12-22-2001, 10:24 AM
I think SSG's archive has as many variations as anyone has found, complete with photos.

By the way, I checked. You are NOT in the main computer...;) :D

bigbarada
12-22-2001, 10:50 AM
I think if you look hard enough you can find a variation with nearly every character, with the exception of the POTF figures.

With just the original twelve you have:

Ben Kenobi:
white hair
grey hair
double telescoping saber

Luke Skywalker:
yellow hair
brown hair
double telescoping saber

Darth Vader:
double telescoping saber

Han Solo:
small head
big head

Chewbacca:
green crossbow

Threepio:
gold
silver

Tusken Raider:
hollow cheek tubes
solid cheek tubes

Jawa:
vinyl cape
loose cloth cape (SW, ESB release)
tight cloth cape (ROTJ, POTF release)

Princess Leia, Stormtrooper, Death Squad Commander and Artoo have no variations I know of.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-22-2001, 09:58 PM
Stop it! Stop it!!!! You're ruining my childhood memories of my toys! There were, I repeat, NO variants to the Vintage line! That's a creation of POTF2 and beyond.

However... there are some differences in some figures. But these aren't separate figures (except red/blue Snaggletooth).

Ahem. :)

bigbarada
12-23-2001, 12:20 AM
Blue Snaggletooth is the only "variation" I would be interested in seeking out. Mainly because he is pretty much an entirely different figure....well, except for the face, body and arms......okay he only has different legs and body color but he can still pass for an entirely different character.

The rest of the variations don't really interest me as I just pick the version I like best or can actually afford and move on.

Although I wouldn't complain if a double-telescoping Darth Vader just fell into my lap. That would be sweet!:)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Here are the "semi-legit" differences I own:
Silver/Gray IG-88
Blond/Yellow Hair Luke Bespin
Blond/Yellow Hair Original Luke
Small/Big Head Han
Turtleneck/Collar Bespin Leia
Red/Blue Snaggletooth
Gray/White Hair Kenobi

I'm kinda looking for Vinyl Caped Jawa and another loose Jedi Luke to match my extra blue saber so I have one with a green and one with a blue.

Some consider Star Destroyer Commander a variation of Death Squad Commander (only carded, though).

Sigh... :(

darthlee
12-25-2001, 02:44 PM
HERES A COUPLE OF VARIATIONS:

BOBA FETT(TRILOGO,TAIWAN ETC.)
A FREIND OF MINE TOLD ME THAT BOSSK HAS A VARIATION BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS!!
YODA (ORANGE/BROWN SNAKES,DIFFERENT SKIN TONES AND DIFFERENT COLOUR EYES)
FU MAN CHU BESPIN GUARD(MOUSTACHE)
YPS HOTH TROOPER
BIKER SCOUT WITH SHORT MOUTH PIECE

I,M STILL TRYING TO THINK OF MORE!!

MERRY X-MAS

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2001, 03:35 PM
Bespin Lando with teeth/without (have)
Han Trench Coat camouflaged/tan collar (don't care about)
Sand People sealed/open breath holes (don't care about)
Admiral Ackbar tan/light tan vest (don't care about)

As you may have seen, I don't care about many "differences."

P.S. darthlee, you may want to take of the "caps lock" button on your keyboard. It looks like you're yelling as you type. Just a helpful hint. :)

sith_killer_99
12-26-2001, 11:24 AM
I think what he means is:

...you may want to take OFF the "caps lock" button...

hehehehehehe:D

Anywho, back to the subject at hand.:eek:

If you are talking about actual physical differences, then there are LOTS.:)

If you are talking about CARD variations then there are LOTS more!:(

I have a book that lists ALL variations in the vinmtage line, this includes physical variations and card variations.:eek:

Remember, the original 12 were all packed on cards for ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. Not to mention the foreign cards as well as picture changes.:rolleyes:

And don't even get me started on the card backs, 12, 20-21, 41, 72, 96...AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!:eek:

BCJ, variations were done by Kenner LONG before Hasbro ever entered into the picture. It is the "variation collectors" who made these things semi-popular.:cool:

As for me, I always hated those stupid vinyl capes anyway.:mad:

In fact, if I had a vinyl caped jawa MOMC right now I would sell it and finance my ever growing SW (new and old, loose and carded, US and foreign) collection.:D

DeathStarPlans
12-27-2001, 06:46 AM
Interesting! Check out my site to see my variations. I still have alot of pics to add.

darthlee
12-27-2001, 06:54 AM
Thanks Bel-Cam Jos, for reminding me to use the caps lock button,i am new to all this and am just starting to realise the rights and wrongs to it all(i wasn,t yelling!!!)i feel a little:stupid:

I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the gammeroean guard sculpt which was later turned into a Robin Hood figure would be classed a variation in the Star Wars line.I know its a completely different figure but it was still a variation of a Star Wars figure.:)

bye

bigbarada
12-27-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by darthlee
I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the gammeroean guard sculpt which was later turned into a Robin Hood figure would be classed a variation in the Star Wars line.I know its a completely different figure but it was still a variation of a Star Wars figure.:)

Uhhh, no.

sith_killer_99
12-27-2001, 06:22 PM
Ah, nope.

:crazed:

darthlee
12-28-2001, 11:15 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by darthlee
I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the gammeroean guard sculpt which was later turned into a Robin Hood figure would be classed a variation in the Star Wars line.I know its a completely different figure but it was still a variation of a Star Wars figure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys.i now feel very stupid:stupid: for suggesting that figure.
Anyway after that embarrassing suggestion would you guys know if the takara sculpts of C-3P0 etc are classed as variations,because a guy here in the u.k. has some takara C-3P0,s on the card and he tells me that the head and shoulders are sculpted differently to the u.s.a. versions,he also said that vader and stormtrooper were sculpted differently.:confused:

bye

sith_killer_99
12-28-2001, 04:15 PM
Don't feel bad:(

We were just razzin ya!;)

It's just that some collectors do get carried away with the whole "variation" thing.:greedy:

The Takara sculpts are indeed TRUE variations and very unique ones at that. I am familiar with these. I'd like to have them in my collection.:D

In fact these were the first real "variations" in the Star Wars line. They are possibly the only sculpt variations in the whole world of Star Wars figures.
:eek:

Not counting the "re-tooled" Vader which is just the SOTE 2-pack Vader carded on a POTF2 green card.:p

Or, of course some complete redo of an already existing figure. :rolleyes:

DeathStarPlans
01-21-2002, 05:35 AM
What about this so called tan limbs klaatu? Isnt that another faded problem like the green limbed chewbacca? I dont find these as real variations. They are just aged.

Kithaba
07-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Can't find many pics of jawa cloth cloak variations on the net, so I'm uploading my own pics here. The plastic of my ROTJ jawa is noticeably paler than my older one (although the pic is a bit blurred so you can't see it very well), his eyes are a lot bigger, and his face is glossy as opposed to matte black.

His cloak is tighter (see bigbarada's post above), the hood is a different shape, and it's made of a different kind of material with a different weave and different stitching. You can see the differences in plastic colour in this next pic if you look at the feet; one is more of a yellowy brown and the other a more reddish brown. I don't think this has to do with release date, as I have a 3rd jawa with the paler brown plastic and big eyes, and that was an early release. My small-eyed, dark brown jawa was bought in Paris.

The tip of my BK lightsabre is a lot longer than a normal one (see comparison with standard), so I recently thought it might be a DT, but when I checked, no such luck!

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Im not too up to date with the variations of the Jawa, but I know, or think, there are several different ones with the same COO and different sized eyes. The difference in color could either be fading or could also be due to different COO's.

As for a DT Kenobi, Im pretty sure that at last count, there were only 7 known to exist. Brians Toys had like an AFA 80 carded or something on eBay with a BIN price of around $30,000 or something outrageous.

Kithaba
07-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Well, the memory of having a slightly-too-long BK lightsabre was enough to make me ring my mum on an international call and get her to check it. I did get my hopes up a little bit, such that when she said "no, it doesn't pull out", I was like "it should god dammit, pull it harder!" :grin:

$30,000 - that's insane...

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Dude that hilarious

vader121
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I do beleive the tan limbs Klaatu exists because I have a few. I wouldn't really consider it rare though. I have one too with mixed colors for the limbs. Some being gray and some being tan. I really don't think it's because of age. I beleive that the factory where they were made they simply had different colors for some limbs for whatever reason.

Now there are countless paint variations on many figures. Some used tan for the the skin color and others used a more vibrant color which can only be described as skin tone. I have a Luke Bespin that has a tan face and the other skin toned hands. Looks kinda weird.

How about the IG88 gray and siver versions? I remember as a kid I had one of each somehow and didn't like that they were different. Wanted them to be the same. I have always been into army builders and having several of a figure to use as soldiers or whatever.

sjd9299
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
The tip of the Kenobi saber only looks long because it has been chewed on. As the person bit down the plastic extruded to make it look longer. I have a Vader saber from my childhood that is even longer, having spent more time between my teeth.

I do beleive the tan limbs Klaatu exists because I have a few. I wouldn't really consider it rare though. I have one too with mixed colors for the limbs. Some being gray and some being tan. I really don't think it's because of age. I beleive that the factory where they were made they simply had different colors for some limbs for whatever reason.

The tan limbs Klaatu is real. For some reason the plastic used for the limbs was mixxed differently and came out a slightly different color. At the factory all the right arms go in a box, all the left arms in another box and so on. So when the factory workers grab an arm out of the box it may have been a regular or a tan. And each limb could have the variation making it very hard to get all the possible variations. There are also many less noticable variations with this and all figures. Like possition of the date stamp, the country of origin, and various paint and mold differences. For instance, just on Klaatu I have:

black boots/4 grey limbs/stamp on both legs/H.K.
black boots/grey left arm/3 tan limbs/H.K.
black boots/2 tan arms/2 grey legs/H.K.
black boots/2 grey arms/2 tan legs/H.K.
black boots/2 tan arms/tan left leg/H.K.
grey boots/4 grey limbs/H.K.
grey boots/4 grey limbs/no coo
shiny black boots/4 grey limbs/no coo

Thats just what I have, there are many more variations out there.
I currently count 272 different Vintage Star Wars figures from ANH - POTF. Of those I have 244 of them.

Kithaba
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
The tip of the Kenobi saber only looks long because it has been chewed on. As the person bit down the plastic extruded to make it look longer. I have a Vader saber from my childhood that is even longer, having spent more time between my teeth.

Yeah, I'd thought of that, and I think you're probably right. None of my original BK/LS/DV lightsabres has an intact tip. The tips always broke off eventually when I played with them. My tipped ones were acquired a few years after the SW craze died down. I managed to score a few weapons, untorn vinyl capes, tipped lightsabres and one or two figures I'd missed from a schoolfriend of mine. So it wasn't chewed by me! :grin: Sorry for posting a pic of a chewed toy btw - that's kinda gross when I think about it :D

sjd9299
07-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry for posting a pic of a chewed toy btw - that's kinda gross when I think about it :D
Thats fine, like I said I chewed on my own toys when I was a kid. I still get the urge to chew on a toy every one in a while. Some of them look so good...:razz:

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Thats just what I have, there are many more variations out there.
I currently count 272 different Vintage Star Wars figures from ANH - POTF. Of those I have 244 of them.

You don't happen to have that list handy do you?:lipsrsealed:

evenflow
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM

I'd like to see the list as well if you dont mind.

I also have a tan limb Klaatu, it does exist.

sjd9299
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM

This list is an excel spreadsheet right now that I use to keep track of all my figures. I might be able to help you out. I think I recently removed Red cape Bib Fortuna from it because no know examples made it past the sales sample stage and are more of a pre-production item than a variant.

I will get it posted for all to see.

evenflow
07-28-2007, 10:25 AM
This list is an excel spreadsheet right now that I use to keep track of all my figures. I might be able to help you out. I think I recently removed Red cape Bib Fortuna from it because no know examples made it past the sales sample stage and are more of a pre-production item than a variant.

I will get it posted for all to see.

Red cape Bib Fortuna figures did make it out into the Lili Ledy line.

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-28-2007, 10:33 AM
This is one I would really like too, but I don't want to end up with a fake.

I started some mini rigs but have lost interest; they just aren't that sweet.

I do want to pick up the droids and ewoks but those from boys are going for as much as some of the potf figures.

Kithaba
07-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I got a few minirigs as a kid, and am glad I kept them. I remember them being good play value because they were cheap enough for the adults not to mind buying them for you, and they were multi-purpose, fitting in to most scenes you wanted to create. The first ones my brother and I got were MTV-7 (mine) and PDT-8 (my brother's). Then we got CAP-2, AST-5, and lastly the Endor Forest Ranger. Coincidentally, my friend had all the ones I didn't have: INT-4, MLC-3, and ISP-6, so I've played with all of them at some point except the skiff thing, which I only ever would have seen once in the shops, and at that time I was more interested in getting the new figures.

Kithaba
07-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Anyway, my brother made us a proper skiff out of card, paper and cocktail sticks which was much better play value. It even had an extending plank. I think it was better than the modern Hasbro one! :p Plus we lived 2 minutes walk from a beach, so we had access to proper sand.

sjd9299
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Red cape Bib Fortuna figures did make it out into the Lili Ledy line.

Do you have a link to some info on this figure? Was it the same as the pre-production US samples? How can you tell if it is fake? I looked around alot but can't get any hard info. I just saw one at a toy show. They guy did not know if it was real. He said he bought it at a flea market in Cincinatti, so it could be real based on the proximity to the Kenner plant. Any way, he wanted $300. I did not have that much and really could spend it even if I had it without knowing for sure if it was real. It had everything I know of to check for. Tan thread so you know it was not a simple dye job. The material was the right feel - at least it matched the material used on regular Bibs. It looked perfect. I don't know...

evenflow
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Do you have a link to some info on this figure? Was it the same as the pre-production US samples? How can you tell if it is fake? I looked around alot but can't get any hard info. I just saw one at a toy show. They guy did not know if it was real. He said he bought it at a flea market in Cincinatti, so it could be real based on the proximity to the Kenner plant. Any way, he wanted $300. I did not have that much and really could spend it even if I had it without knowing for sure if it was real. It had everything I know of to check for. Tan thread so you know it was not a simple dye job. The material was the right feel - at least it matched the material used on regular Bibs. It looked perfect. I don't know...

Lili Ledy Bib Fortuna (http://theswca.com/images-forei/lililedy-fortuna.html)

sjd9299
07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Lili Ledy Bib Fortuna (http://theswca.com/images-forei/lililedy-fortuna.html)

Ok, well the one I saw did not look like that one. This one was more a bright red and seemed to match the one on the ROTJ card back.

LusiferSam
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok, well the one I saw did not look like that one. This one was more a bright red and seemed to match the one on the ROTJ card back.

That's likely a fake. The Lili Ledy version is a burgundy color, not red. The best way I know to check if it's real is to look at the thread used to sew the coat. The thread should be the same color as the coat. It turns out thread is very hard to bleach and/or dye.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
That's likely a fake. The Lili Ledy version is a burgundy color, not red. The best way I know to check if it's real is to look at the thread used to sew the coat. The thread should be the same color as the coat. It turns out thread is very hard to bleach and/or dye.I've heard that some people have used the Emperor's Royal Guard capes to make fakes, :confused: but if someone can't tell that the material's different too, then buy at your own risk. :greedy:

sjd9299
08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
That's likely a fake. The Lili Ledy version is a burgundy color, not red. The best way I know to check if it's real is to look at the thread used to sew the coat. The thread should be the same color as the coat. It turns out thread is very hard to bleach and/or dye.

I thought that on a real US Red Cape Bib Fortuna that the thread used was tan and the material was a bright red.

LusiferSam
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought that on a real US Red Cape Bib Fortuna that the thread used was tan and the material was a bright red.

That would make zero sense if you think about it. How often have you seen an item that is sewn with a different color thread from the cloth? Unless it's for decoration (which Kenner wouldn't have done) the answer is never. Tan thread would stood out like a sore thumb against bright red cloth and looked very odd. No, the thread would have been red too.

evenflow
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I think you are wrong about the thread. Normally if the thread is red, it means it has been dyed and is a fake. If the thread is a different color then it wasn't died and is legit.

LusiferSam
08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I think you are wrong about the thread. Normally if the thread is red, it means it has been dyed and is a fake. If the thread is a different color then it wasn't died and is legit.

I can't seem to find the article on the Collectors Archive (I hate searching for stuff on that place). What I could find are the articles on the White Cloak version loose (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48409) and carded (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48458), and the Lili Ledy version (http://theswca.com/images-forei/lililedy-fortuna.html). Look at the thread color. The White Cloak is very clear, white thread for a white cloak.

Now RS's archive has some good info on fakes.

There are documented examples of preproduction versions of this figure with different coloured jackets. It is important to keep in mind that these are often times faked. Thankfully, these fakes are easy to spot. Commonly, the fakes are dyed red, and in some instances bleached white. Even though the fabric colour is easily altered, the same cannot be said about the thread used to sew the jacket, which is quite resilient to both dye and bleach.

It's that last statement and the fact the very other piece of cloth accessory (including the first shots) has the same colored thread and cloth that tells me a legit Red Cloak would have red thread.