PDA

View Full Version : How many army builders do you have? A/K/A How bad is your sickness?

Droid
08-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Maybe there has already been a thread that has done this before:

I went through a time period where I was buying way too many figures. I have slacked off and sold SOME of my collection. I am amazed that I don't even have 10 of the Geonosian Warriors or the Clonetroopers (though the number I do have would increase if I could find more super-articulated clones!)

Anyway, I was wondering how many army builders some of you have. I am sure that I pale in comparison to some of you, but I thought I would get the ball rolling. Feel free to post any pictures of battle scenes or Emperor's arrival scenes you might have set up.

I have 67 Stormtroopers of various releases.
I have 49 Jawas of various releases.
I have 47 Sandtroopers of various releases.
I have 40 Battle Droids of various releases.
I have 23 Rebel Fleet Troopers of various releases.
I have 23 Endor Rebel Soldiers of various releases.
I have 19 Hoth Rebel Soldiers of various releases.
I have 14 Naboo Guards (7 Red, 7 Yellow).
I have 13 Snowtroopers of varoius releases.
I have 12 Weequays.
I have 11 Scout Troopers of various releases.
I have 11 Gamorrean Guards (first carded, no OTC).

The most I have of any one carded figure:

56 original carded Stormtrooper
35 first carded Sandtrooper
27 first carded battled droids (combination of the four variations)
20 first carded Endor Rebel soldier
20 first carded Rebel Fleet Trooper
16 first carded Jawa 2-pack

I admit that I bought many figures when Toys "R" us was selling them for $2 a pop, but no matter how cheap they are, at some point enough is enough. After all, I have to store the things. My buying slacked off by the time Episode II came out.

What about everyone else?

B'Omarr Monkey
08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Are all those still carded? I'm not sure I understand the point in army building if you're not opening them up for display, or dioramas.

I only have a handful of stormtroopers, rebel fleet troopers (potf2), a couple sandtroopers, snowtroopers, destroyer droids and Naboo Guards (the ones who look like they drive a taxi). All of those were bought on clearance.

I've pretty much avoided army building as there are so many things i want that I'd rather just have one representative figure of each sculpt, and spend my money on something I don't have yet. So, you could increase my numbers in some areas. I have a bunch of battle droids too, but that is simply the accumulation of different releases (the 4 initial paint variations, the one that can be cut in half, the 2 from the deluxe Mace Windu's etc. )

if I ever decide to do something (a diorama, a stop motion version of ANH), I'll hit ebay and pick up what I need, but at this point, it's just one or two of each for me.

Droid
08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes, I open all of my figures. I agree, why build an army if you aren't an opener.

I originally intended to do many, many dioramas, all set up at once (much like Tycho is doing if you've seen his thread where he posts pictures of his collection). I now just want to set up one scene at a time, so I don't need as many figures as I bought.

I will probably never buy more than ten of a figure ever again, perhaps whatever the soldier is in Episode III (no spoilers please) and I would buy ten of the articulated clonetrooper.

X13VADER
08-25-2004, 07:14 PM
well where to begin i'll start with the empire
50 old stromtroopers
50 new stormtroopers
48 4-pack stormtroopers
5 tru stormtroopers
10 crowd control stormtroopers
50 sandtroopers of different ranks
50 snowtroopers of different kinds
30 royal guards
30 bikerscouts
30 deathstar gunners
30 deathstar troopers
21 at-at drivers
27 at-st drivers
5 imperial sententials
10 death star droids
5 r2-q5
20 r4-m9
5 r4-i9
3 imperial troopers
28 old imperial commanders
10 new imperial commanders
14 death squad commanders
10 at-st commanders
50 tie fighter pilots
i think thats it for now thanks

Kidhuman
08-25-2004, 07:30 PM
I just recently started Army Building. Giving the sporatic pop up of figures, I need something to do to get my fix. I keep them carded for now, but do plan on setting up some scenes in the future. I dont want to lose the pieces, so I keep them carded.

I have about 20 stormies various releases
5 Biker scouts
3 Tie Pilots
20 Various clones(2 of them SA)

Its a small army, but it will do the job for now. New recruits will follow. :beard:

Knightfall
08-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I just started army building, as up until fairly recently I had this weird complex about not being able to tell my figures apart. Now I just don't care.:D I've got...

13 Stormtroopers (3 POTF, 5 Commtech, 5 OTC)
5 Clone Troopers
5 Battle Droids (although I'll probably trade or sell these)
3 Emperor's Royal Guards
2 TIE Fighter Pilots
1 representative each of various other groups of soldiers

My army sure looks pitiful compared to everyone else's, but that's expected with my shortage of space/income. I've decided I'll be done with Stormies when I hit 25 (Troopers, not years of age), and I'll probably do about 6 to 10 of the other types of troops.

Hellboy
08-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Here is my list. These #'s don't include my MOC collection, all are loose and most are part of dioramas.

PT Clones/Republic Forces:
- 46 Clone Troopers- White
- 06 Clone Troopers- Red
- 09 Clone Troopers- Yellow
- 06 Clone Troopers- Blue
- 05 Clone Troopers- Green
- 05 Clone Pilots
- 09 ARC Troopers- Blue
- 02 ARC Troopers- Red
- 02 Naboo Royal Guard
- 03 Naboo Royal Security
- 04 Gungan Warriors
- 02 Coruscant Guards

PT Separatist Forces:
- 65 Battle Droids
- 13 Super Battle Droids
- 06 Destroyer Droids
- 22 Geonosian Warriors

OT Imperial Forces:
- 46 Stormtroopers
- 10 Imperial Gunners
- 05 Death Star Troopers
- 20 TIE Pilots
- 17 Imperial Officers
- 06 AT-ST Drivers
- 04 AT-AT Drivers
- 03 Death Star Droids
- 05 Black Astromech Droids
- 12 Snowtroopers
- 09 Scout Troopers
- 12 Sandtroopers
- 10 Royal Guards

OT Rebels Forces:
- 07 Fleet Troopers
- 09 Endor Soldiers
- 06 Hoth Soldiers
- 08 Ewoks

Other:
- 05 Cloud Car Pilots
- 03 Bespin Guards
- 07 Tusken Raiders
- 12 Jawas
- 05 Concept Stormtroopers
- 04 Gamorrean Guards

Total= 430 army builder figures

Tycho
08-29-2004, 05:10 PM
PT Clones/Republic Forces:
- 40 Super Articulated Clone Troopers
- 35 Sneak Preview Clone Troopers
- 20+ Clone Troopers- White (3-pack)
- 15 Clone Troopers- Red (carded style, but they're loose now)
- 6 Clone Troopers- Yellow (2 and 3 pack style).
- 6 Clone Troopers- Blue (2 and 3 pack style).
- 4 Clone Troopers- Green
- 20 Clone Pilots
- 5 ARC Troopers- Blue
- 2 ARC Troopers- Red
- 35 Naboo Royal Guard
- 45 Naboo Royal Security
- 32 Gungan Warriors
- 12 Coruscant Guards

PT Separatist Forces:
- 100+ Battle Droids
- 50 (about) Super Battle Droids
- 30 (about) Destroyer Droids
- 20 (about) Geonosian Warriors
- 3-4 flying Geonosian Warriors

OT Imperial Forces:
- 75 or more Stormtroopers
- 6 Imperial Gunners
- 25 Death Star Troopers
- 15 TIE Pilots
- 10 Imperial Officers
- 6 AT-ST Drivers
- 2 AT-AT Drivers
- 3 Death Star Droids
- 2 Black Astromech Droids
- 20 Snowtroopers
- 1 Scout Troopers
- 7 Scout Troopers on speederbikes
- 14 Sandtroopers
- 16 Royal Guards

OT Rebels Forces:
- 20 Fleet Troopers
- 14 Endor Soldiers
- 30 Hoth Soldiers
- 30 Ewoks (using combos)

Other:
- 1 Cloud Car Pilots (need 7 more!)
- 5 Bespin Guards
- 15 Tusken Raiders
- 20+ Jawas
15 + Gamorrean Guards

These are approximates. I don't have time to go and count them all. Some of my dioramas are on display in the Customs-Dioramas section. (mostly my Classic scenes for large scale ones).

Check them out.

It appears to be 787 army builders of these types comprise part of my collection.

It will be surely about 1000 figures by the time I'm done with dioramas of Episode 3.

So I've got about $4,000 invested in my troops, with that amount expected to rise.

All in all, I figure I've spent around $30,000 on my collection.

If I am able to give $60,000 to charity and volunteer services over the course of my lifetime, I could feel like I could justify this.

Slicker
08-29-2004, 05:57 PM
One question Tycho. How do you manage to find all of these figures? Even the real common figures I would have trouble finding 40 of them but you managed to find what was it I think 40 SA Clones, one of the toughest figures to find of recent. I have to go shopping with you.

Tycho
08-29-2004, 07:31 PM
1) Make a list. In the Episode 3 Spoiler section, I wrote down every scene from the tentative movie storyboards that I wish to create, and what elements (figures, ships, etc) I'll need in them. For instance I'll need 30 Obi-Wan Kenobi figures to storyboard the movie.

2) Read the Just Found USA forums, and forums on other sites.

Go shopping only as stuff you want is being found in store reports.

3) Wake up at 6am (or earlier if you must go to work or school soon),and get ready for your day (or not, if you can return home after shopping).

Drive to Wal-Mart at 6:30am or however early you need to leave to get there by 6:45. Get out of your car and stand next to the door until they open it.

Other people will be there. They are usually scum.

4) When the doors open, go immediately to Star Wars and pick up everything you see that is on your list. Share if anyone else is in the SW section, but if they are at HotWheels, hurry and get everything you need, as they'll be coming to see what's in SW next.

Once you have your purchase, leave immediately and check out. If no one was at SW before, DO NOT show them what you bought and how much of what. Don't encourage the scalpers. If they were dedicated to SW, they'd have been in that section first.

If they don't have anything, proceed immediately to the next Wal-Mart that is already open, or go get breakfast immediately, so that you'll be on time for Target.

5) Go to Target no later than 7:45 am (or another Wal-Mart or K-Mart if internet reports say they are getting things). Wait at the door until it opens.

Repeat Step 4 above.

6) In Christmas season, when SA Clones were shipping and lots of stuff was rolling in every night, return to the store at 9:45pm up until 11:45pm for Wal-Marts closing at midnite. See if they are stocking. If not, read the cases on the pallets and ask employees to open them or stock them. If they refuse, politely explain why you wanted them, that you'll return in the morning (these overnight workers will still be there if you come in just as the store opens), and why you collect SW, what you like about it, if they like it, what your think will be exciting and positive about SW's future. Make a friend.

Repeat Steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 daily until you have everything you need.

Then

7) catch up on your sleep.

In big city stores, less likely in rural areas, this strategy will work within 2 weeks tops of trying, while stuff is shipping.

Heck, Unleashed Aayla Secura, all the VOTC can be found, all the Galactic Heroes including Chewie and C-3PO can be found. Etc. Etc.

In non-holiday season, you do not need to take Step 6, especially if it is not a big time for the toy season (summer, easter, back-to-school, X-mas).

Remember that January, all the stuff that shipped LATE for X-mas will be arriving in the early part of the month, before the Dead Time.

At Step 3, Wake up at 5 am if you must be at work by 8 or 9 am and don't have time to go home and change and get ready for work afterwards. Remember, this ridiculous toy-run marathon will be over in less than a month, and you'll have everything provided your stores get them. You won't know how good your local store is unless you try this during heavy shipping time and learn if scum are buying all your product.

Do not miss breakfast (7:15 am after Wal-Mart shopping)- as a good breakfast is a healthy way to start your day!

If you do not want to do this, you will not get your figures before someone who does.

I don't know if my Wal-Mart got more than 63 Clone Troopers (I bought for my collecting team besides myself), but I know I got the first 60-something the store ever got, and my team picked up 30 more from other local Wal-Marts, so almost 100 made it out to San Diego, and we quit buying them after our lists were done and we all stayed at our homes and slept in versus shopping any more. But the point is, we had what we wanted.

Additionally, I have saved $600 of the $1000 I want for Episode 3 product for next year, and next month I'll add $300 more to the pile.

I will not screw around.

Darth Sidious said "Wipe them out. All of them."

I intend to obey my Master!

I'll see the rest of you WHINING around the forums

"I can't get up that early!"

"I can't do it for even (only) 2 or less weeks."

"School starts at 8 o'clock" - while Wal-Mart opens at 7 :rolleyes:

"There should be enough for everyone who wants some all day." - Maybe there will be after I'm done. But I'll share with you only if you're there. I'd (almost) rather be sleeping too.

Only folks with ridiculously hard commutes to work (and no Wal-Marts on the way) or some school activity that starts at 7am, or dependence on your parents to drive you, or those who are already at work for some reason, or those dependent on busses and trolleys for transportation, actually have an excuse.

Syou if you just want to sleep and you're going to complain about not getting figures here after admitting that.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I met all the guys I team up with for collecting at the stores while making this kind of effort. Instead of competing with each other, we made a pact to cover ALL the stores and get the quantity everyone needs. Cell phones are great as by 7:10 am I know what's shipped to 7 stores all across my county.

And if you snooze, you could lose.

I will not pay scalper prices and I won't even let any scalpers have ANY new figures (that me or my friends want) in this county. 3 Dealer Stores closed in San Diego. I hope I had a hand in helping that.

X13VADER
08-29-2004, 08:36 PM
ok how about the rebels

10 x-wing pilots (vintage)
10 rebel commanders (vintage)
20 rebel soldiers (vintage)
56 rebel fleet soldiers
10 ackbars (before i knew they were making mon cali soldier)
4 nien numb
7 hammerheads

and the rest of them

14 bespin soldiers (vintage)
22 bespin soldiers new
6 twin pod pilots
6 aughnauts
30 jawa
20 sandpeople
7 gamorean guard new
2 gamorean guard old
77 battle droids ep1
20 battle droids ep2
10 destroyer droids
10 super battle droids
20 preview clones
10 red clones
10 yellow clones
36 3 pack clones
1 sa clone (cant find any some hogged them all)
3 ig-88
5 boba fetts
10 bossks
20 endor rebel soldiers new
10 endor rebels old

Gonk 1979
09-03-2004, 06:52 PM
1) Make a list. In the Episode 3 Spoiler section, I wrote down every scene from the tentative movie storyboards that I wish to create, and what elements (figures, ships, etc) I'll need in them. For instance I'll need 30 Obi-Wan Kenobi figures to storyboard the movie.

2) Read the Just Found USA forums, and forums on other sites.

Go shopping only as stuff you want is being found in store reports.

3) Wake up at 6am (or earlier if you must go to work or school soon),and get ready for your day (or not, if you can return home after shopping).

Drive to Wal-Mart at 6:30am or however early you need to leave to get there by 6:45. Get out of your car and stand next to the door until they open it.

Other people will be there. They are usually scum.

4) When the doors open, go immediately to Star Wars and pick up everything you see that is on your list. Share if anyone else is in the SW section, but if they are at HotWheels, hurry and get everything you need, as they'll be coming to see what's in SW next.

Once you have your purchase, leave immediately and check out. If no one was at SW before, DO NOT show them what you bought and how much of what. Don't encourage the scalpers. If they were dedicated to SW, they'd have been in that section first.

If they don't have anything, proceed immediately to the next Wal-Mart that is already open, or go get breakfast immediately, so that you'll be on time for Target.

5) Go to Target no later than 7:45 am (or another Wal-Mart or K-Mart if internet reports say they are getting things). Wait at the door until it opens.

Repeat Step 4 above.

6) In Christmas season, when SA Clones were shipping and lots of stuff was rolling in every night, return to the store at 9:45pm up until 11:45pm for Wal-Marts closing at midnite. See if they are stocking. If not, read the cases on the pallets and ask employees to open them or stock them. If they refuse, politely explain why you wanted them, that you'll return in the morning (these overnight workers will still be there if you come in just as the store opens), and why you collect SW, what you like about it, if they like it, what your think will be exciting and positive about SW's future. Make a friend.

Repeat Steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 daily until you have everything you need.

Then

7) catch up on your sleep.

In big city stores, less likely in rural areas, this strategy will work within 2 weeks tops of trying, while stuff is shipping.

Heck, Unleashed Aayla Secura, all the VOTC can be found, all the Galactic Heroes including Chewie and C-3PO can be found. Etc. Etc.

In non-holiday season, you do not need to take Step 6, especially if it is not a big time for the toy season (summer, easter, back-to-school, X-mas).

Remember that January, all the stuff that shipped LATE for X-mas will be arriving in the early part of the month, before the Dead Time.

At Step 3, Wake up at 5 am if you must be at work by 8 or 9 am and don't have time to go home and change and get ready for work afterwards. Remember, this ridiculous toy-run marathon will be over in less than a month, and you'll have everything provided your stores get them. You won't know how good your local store is unless you try this during heavy shipping time and learn if scum are buying all your product.

Do not miss breakfast (7:15 am after Wal-Mart shopping)- as a good breakfast is a healthy way to start your day!

If you do not want to do this, you will not get your figures before someone who does.

I don't know if my Wal-Mart got more than 63 Clone Troopers (I bought for my collecting team besides myself), but I know I got the first 60-something the store ever got, and my team picked up 30 more from other local Wal-Marts, so almost 100 made it out to San Diego, and we quit buying them after our lists were done and we all stayed at our homes and slept in versus shopping any more. But the point is, we had what we wanted.

Additionally, I have saved $600 of the $1000 I want for Episode 3 product for next year, and next month I'll add $300 more to the pile.

I will not screw around.

Darth Sidious said "Wipe them out. All of them."

I intend to obey my Master!

I'll see the rest of you WHINING around the forums

"I can't get up that early!"

"I can't do it for even (only) 2 or less weeks."

"School starts at 8 o'clock" - while Wal-Mart opens at 7 :rolleyes:

"There should be enough for everyone who wants some all day." - Maybe there will be after I'm done. But I'll share with you only if you're there. I'd (almost) rather be sleeping too.

Only folks with ridiculously hard commutes to work (and no Wal-Marts on the way) or some school activity that starts at 7am, or dependence on your parents to drive you, or those who are already at work for some reason, or those dependent on busses and trolleys for transportation, actually have an excuse.

Syou if you just want to sleep and you're going to complain about not getting figures here after admitting that.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I met all the guys I team up with for collecting at the stores while making this kind of effort. Instead of competing with each other, we made a pact to cover ALL the stores and get the quantity everyone needs. Cell phones are great as by 7:10 am I know what's shipped to 7 stores all across my county.

And if you snooze, you could lose.

I will not pay scalper prices and I won't even let any scalpers have ANY new figures (that me or my friends want) in this county. 3 Dealer Stores closed in San Diego. I hope I had a hand in helping that.

Dude, you have a sickness.....seriously. I'm not going to pry, but are you secure with everything else in your life? Do you have a nice HOUSE and not an apartment, because I'm positive with all that extra jack you could use it towards an upgrade home-wise. Do you have a sizable savings? An IRA for retirement? Because seriously you could use that money for a better cause, and not to mention all that time. And I don't care about scalpers, collectors or anyone else - by scooping up every fig in your area you're not letting the few children out there who do love Star Wars have a chance at these figs. I consider myself an avid collector - 500 or so carded figs, but I refuse to let it dictate my life. So far I have found one of every figure I have wanted the past nine years at retail, and at my leisure. If I find it, good. If not, I'll wait - just look, you can get ORANGE CARDED FIGS for under retail on EBAY now. What you do just sounds like an OBSESSION, and a misguided one at that. In the end they are just toys - little, plastic pieces.

I'm not trying to be mean, but when you put it out their like that you are letting yourself open to criticism. Seriously, one day you're going to wake up and realize you spent virtually your life savings and a good third of your waking day and concern stressing and searching for.....toys. Two hours every day looking for figs before work? Spending two hours a night at WalMart waiting for them to stock? Get help, seriously, and this isn't coming from an outsider. From one collector to another - seek help.

(ps - your addiction can be seen in your statement above, when you described the people waiting outside for Walmart to open - you called them scum. What the heck does this make you? Can't you see your obsession reflected in them???? Isn't that a wake up call?

Tycho
09-04-2004, 03:29 AM
Dude, you have a sickness.....seriously.

For sure!

I'm not going to pry, but are you secure with everything else in your life? Do you have a nice HOUSE and not an apartment, because I'm positive with all that extra jack you could use it towards an upgrade home-wise. Do you have a sizable savings? An IRA for retirement? Because seriously you could use that money for a better cause, and not to mention all that time.

I have a girlfriend and I'm a business owner as a financial planner with an office and employees. Now trust me, an IRA is not the way to save for retirement (perhaps a Roth IRA). There are several tax-advantaged ways to build up your assets with all the investment powers of the leading managed-money funds out there - in fact, you can own the very same ones, but set your tax shelter up differently (save for what you must roll-over from a 401K, 403B, or other matching funds plans your current or previous employment might have offered).

Anyway, it's not my place to give out tax or investing advice over the internet...

Next, I lost both my parents in my 20's (my Mom died recently, lost to cancer). I was an only child and was the sole heir to several life insurance policies, not to mention several nice pieces of real estate from both my parents' investment properties. These add nice supplimental income for me.

In San Diego, I live in an apartment. I did not want to displace my parents' tenants, as they are good people who have rented from my family for a very long time and raised their children in these homes. I stand to gain equity appreciation from all these properties, plus my grandparents, still living, have more they are turning over management and legal title to me for in the near future. None of it is in San Diego County however.

I'd like to buy, however the median price for a home here is $550,000 now, and as a financial planner, I do mortgages and real estate sales myself as well. Indicators signal that within the next 5 years, housing prices will drop dramatically, like in the 80's. However, I am amassing $70,000 in my short-term funds account so that if I get impatient, I have 2 years worth of mortgage payments in the bank. I'll need it, because I want to set all my Star Wars stuff I'm obsessed with up all over a 5 bedroom (plus) house, and build my own gym and bar and pool table room, plus store a boat and have a pool and jacuzzi (possibly - not sure I want to take care of the latter 2). The homes I'm interested in cost upwards of $700,000 here in San Diego - and they are not THAT nice for the price, too. Pretty good though - as it'll have to be as once I set my toys up, I don't intend to move. My live-in real estate will not be flipped as an investment property. It's a luxury I'll choose to hold firm on.

As to time, I spend a lot of time serving my clients, but I also:

am elected to my cities' local executive planning board
serve the Business Improvement District for my commercial region
serve as a judge-arbitrator in the Community Court system
am elected as a Trustee to our City Park and Recreation Foundation Board
will be taking a position on the City's Pension Oversight Committee
serve on the city's Transit Planning Review Panel
volunteer to help the homeless

and enjoy

Jet skiing (used to race competitively-SeaDoo)
martial arts (used to fight competitively - United Studios of Self-Defense)
co-ed baseball/softball
working out (biking, weights)
bowling team
swimming / surfing
reading (Star Wars books - you got me there, political books, history, biograhies)
writing (I'm very SLOWLY working on my own fiction)
drawing, painting - (I used to be much better, but seem to be out of practice)

And I don't care about scalpers, collectors or anyone else - by scooping up every fig in your area you're not letting the few children out there who do love Star Wars have a chance at these figs.

When I finish my shopping list, I STAY OUT OF THE STORES. I bet more stuff ships, as I see wave remnants (not my own leavings, mind you, but much later) as I check casually, once in a while, just to double-check stuff is clearing so a new wave can come in. So anyway, whatever still ships after I'm gone and not shopping any more might be scooped up by kids, or whoever else comes there (scalpers, whatever).

I consider myself an avid collector - 500 or so carded figs, but I refuse to let it dictate my life. So far I have found one of every figure I have wanted the past nine years at retail, and at my leisure. If I find it, good. If not, I'll wait - just look, you can get ORANGE CARDED FIGS for under retail on EBAY now. What you do just sounds like an OBSESSION, and a misguided one at that. In the end they are just toys - little, plastic pieces.

I don't let it dictate my life. I think you can see that already, by what else I'm already involved with. Even tonight, while I'm on a Star Wars webpage, my girlfriend and I have gone out, been shopping and enjoyed a nice dinner downtown, and gone to bed for the night. I'm up for a midnite snack, if you will (a natural Breyer's fruit popcycle if you must know - pineapple orange, and quite good *yum*)

As far as the stuff being little plastic pieces, sure they are. But I love having those pieces for setting up the dioramas I build. There's a thread about that in the customizing-diorama thread, though my photography sucked and I haven't set up my stuff nearly as cool as I'd wanted to. The last pages show some more impressive displays, the first page starts off with small groups of figures in curio cabinets.

I'm not trying to be mean, but when you put it out their like that you are letting yourself open to criticism.

I love being different and taking some things to extreme and having people go "What???"

Seriously, one day you're going to wake up and realize you spent virtually your life savings and a good third of your waking day and concern stressing and searching for.....toys.

Impossible. Financially, I'm independent while even expanding my business. In actuality, I spend roughly $1500 a YEAR on Star Wars, and typically in a movie year, it's like half of that at Midnite Madness all at once - I have an E3 list of scenes already, and made a shopping list from that - though I'll get the comic book before I see the movie, and confirm everything just to be sure.

2nd, I have barely been shopping for SW toys in months. I want 7 Cloud Car Pilots lately, and my area has not been getting the Bespin Wave case, so why bother going out? I only go out when I see internet reports that they are hitting in San Diego better than they have, or when my friends who also hunt turn up with them.

Next, I usually meet with my clients in the afternoons or evenings when they are off work. I almost never go into my office before 10 o'clock, so I have the freedom to do what I want. However, right now I prefer to sleep in versus toy hunt, save for the fact I currently have jury duty.

Two hours every day looking for figs before work? Spending two hours a night at WalMart waiting for them to stock? Get help, seriously, and this isn't coming from an outsider. From one collector to another - seek help.

I did that only 1 time in the HISTORY of my SW collecting: for about 1 and 1/2 weeks when the Super Articulated Clone Trooper hit and I got 63 of them that way. I kept 40 of him, and put in 23 of them to my collecting group.

(ps - your addiction can be seen in your statement above, when you described the people waiting outside for Walmart to open - you called them scum. What the heck does this make you? Can't you see your obsession reflected in them???? Isn't that a wake up call?

Actually, some of the people outside the store in the morning are pretty cool collectors. I exaggerated that "they all are bad" because they are not. Some of them are for sure scalpers though, and they can be seen at our local swap meet hocking the stuff they picked out of the retail stores - almost exclusively Hot Wheels though. They don't want to outlay the cost for SW figures :rolleyes: Some do though - and they'll buy them all so no one competes with them. I will not buy my armies from these guys at their prices. But anyway, can I see myself reflected in them? I'll give you some of that - however, aside from the other cooler "real collectors" I encounter, most of the Hot Wheels guys and especially the scalpers are at LEAST 10 years older than me. SW has about 4-6 years left for the entire hobby. At least I'll have everything I could possibly want out of it and be done by my mid-thirties. These guys are in their 40's and 50's or older! - and some are making a living (if you want to call it that) off scalping these little toys???

I mean, get a real job!

But like I said, I only go "every minute" when something really hot is shipping. Otherwise, I don't even bother at all.

It seems to me that I'm only there when I'm getting exactly what I want, and I have no trouble finding it. The rest of the time, it seems like I don't even worry or bother.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I do a very small amount of army building. I already spend too much just getting one of every figure, but if I'm having trouble finding new figures, then maybe I'll get some army builders. Also, since I am mostly a carded collector at this point, buying an extra figure gives me an opportunity to actually open one while still having one on the card. Eventually when I figure out how I want to store and display loose figures, I'll open most of them up.

In regards to the hunting for figures, I have to be at work at 7:30, so I don't have time to get to the stores. I think Wal-Mart doesn't open until 7am except during Holiday season when they might open at 6am. I usually find most of the figures anyway. If I don't, I'll eventually buy them online. Usually I'll wait a while until it looks like they won't be showing up. It's usually the last figures in a line that I end up having to do this with. For the Saga figs, General Madine is the one 2004 fig I have yet to find.

I guess when I hear about people buying huge numbers like Tycho, it kind of bugs me, especially if it's a figure I never found. But if he is willing to put out the effort to find them, then that's fine. At least he's not a scalper just buying them to sell at outrageous prices. I'm kind of on the other extreme. I feel guilty sometimes if I have too many figures. There is one time I wish I had not been. In the summer of 1999, I had started collecting with the Episode I figures. At that point, I hadn't decided to get the POTF2 figures since I figured I wouldn't be able to get all the ones I missed. However, I did decide to get some of the Action Fleet vehicles at that time. I remember seeing the signs on the shelves at Target saying they had the right to limit people's buying of collectible merchandise like the SW stuff. So, I just bought three AF vehicles. I think I continued to just get three at a time. One of those times I passed on getting a TIE Defender. I kick myself for missing that one.

stillakid
09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Freedom being what it is, I don't have a problem with people collecting in the quantities being discussed here. However, as with all politics (as defined as the distribution of limited resources), I think that when you come to a forum such as this and read that most collectors have zero to 5 Super Articulated Clonetroopers while a scant few have upwards of 50+, there is a serious problem. Tycho justifies it by believing that those items are still shipping in large enough quantities to fulfill everyone else's desires, but that just isn't true obviously or else more people would be listing larger amounts of these better figures. It would be peachy keen if we all had schedules and lifestyles that allowed for such precise "hunting," but we don't and shouldn't be "punished" for not rearranging our lives for the sake of trying to beat out scalpers or over-zealous collectors. Whether this means that those two groups of shoppers should cool their jets a bit (which won't happen) or Hasbro should offer product direct to "collectors" (perhaps via a "collectors club"), something clearly should be done to fix this kind of problem. Nobody ever said life was fair, but as individuals, we have the power to make it moreso for everyone. I find it particularly ironic that one of the most outspoken advocates of Democratic ideals of sharing with the masses finds no problem whatsoever hording these "resources" for himself. Situational ethics raises its ugly head once again.

Devo
09-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I noticed some strange choices that people have made in their army building. Where you have a particular background character be it droid or alien that they have opted to buy in great quantities. Take R4-M9, who is seen in about 1 shot of the entire film ANH and makes a background appearance at echo base in ESB according to the action figure guide a few years back. I personally see potential for at most 2 dioramas there, Tantive IV and echo base, and therefore at most 2 R4-M9s would be needed yet some people choose to buy more than that. Now an astromech or an ellors madak could be repainted to create different 'characters' but other than that I'm at a loss to explain why someone would want vast numbers of such figures. Tycho's storyboarding I suppose but for many figures I can't envisage forming a sequence of mini-dioramas around them.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-06-2004, 11:25 PM
The Toys R Us here recently put out some of the R4-M9 wave. I decided to get another R4-M9. It gave me an opportunity to open a figure since I still had one carded. If I end up opening the other one, it's just a droid and could make a great background figure to put into a diorama. Maybe if I had the skill to paint and customize figures, I would buy more and I could make any color variation of R4 unit. However, I really don't have the space to buy so many duplicates of figures I already have, nor can I really afford to spend anymore than what I do.

Tycho
09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I find it particularly ironic that one of the most outspoken advocates of Democratic ideals of sharing with the masses finds no problem whatsoever hording these "resources" for himself. Situational ethics raises its ugly head once again.

Really:

I found 63 (sixty-three) Super Articulated Clone Troopers.

I pitched in 23 to my collectors' group - more than half of the total I kept.

I kept 40 - the number I set out to get.

I share with those who participate in my "collector economy."

I like to deal with people 1) I am friends with and know really well

2) I can drive to meet and trade cash or toys with - no chances on bad deals going down by long-distance mail.

Sorry Stillakid, your comparison didn't hold - probably just because you didn't read that part where I REDISTRIBUTED. :D

Make some LOCAL friends in real life at the toy isles when you can guys. It really helps.