PDA

View Full Version : When children see your SW collection...

JEDIpartner
08-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I love kids. I really do love them. Unfortunately there is that pesky toy collection that I have in my one room. They don't realise that it is a collection and not really to be played with.

Recently, my partner's mom came by and saw the toys. Her comment to me was, "Ooooh! Wait until jake sees that room! He's just going to go crazy in there!"

My reaction was ":eek:" as the image my mind conjured was that of one of those giant tree eating machines. You know the ones; they turn an entire tree into a pile of sawdust.

Note to self... build shelves higher.

IMFETTUP
08-26-2004, 11:34 AM
I have a little girl, three years old now. She is acutely aware of the gold mine that exists in the other room. Thankfully, she is more interested in barbies and the Disney Princesses than my collection. We are expecting a boy six weeks from now so I have a little time to figure out what to do. Interestingly enough, my little girl asked me the other night if I liked Snow White when I was little. I replied of coarse (it was easier this way). After a brief second she asked if I liked Snow White better than Star Wars. I thought this was a neat question and made me realize that she's aware of my hobby.:)

B'Omarr Monkey
08-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I can completely relate. I have two kids of my own. My son will be 4 at the end of September and he's the main reason I don't have any of my stuff out right now. Since he has SW toys of his own, he recognizes them as toys, and does not distinguish his, which are meant to be played with in a manner that includes paint being rubbed off, while mine are supposed to be "just for looking."

This came about when I put some of my vinyl Japanese monster toys out on shelves in my office. I'd keep finding them off the shelf, or laying down on the shelf. He'd say he was "just looking" which meant removing them all and manipulating them. Again, he has his own Godzilla toys, so this is understandable.

I put those away and have replaced them with my collection of 8" Sideshow Universal Monsters. I told him those were "statues" not toys, and were very fragile. So far, he has not touched any of them.

He is starting to get the idea that my toys are not for playing with, but now there are other kids from the neighborhood in and out of the house all the time, and they and their parents I don't think will really get that, so for now, my more tempting toys are all put away.

Before I had my own kids, I had a similar experience, where parents who were visiting me with their kids, did not respect that boundary. One friend of mine was house sitting for me once. She brought her 5-year old boy over, and let him go wild with my toys, some of which were broken. Others were removed from their vintage packaging, which was torn to shreds--and thrown out by the parent. Let's just say there were harsh words exchanged. When she offered to pay to replace them, her jaw dropped when she heard the price, and this was before ebay, so there was the whole matter of finding them again. She never replaced them, refused to in fact, for what I was telling her they were worth, tried blaming me because what was I doing with toys in my apartment in the first place if I didn't expect kids to play with them, and how ungrateful I was since she was doing me a huge favor by bringing in my mail and watering my plants. This started a whole new round of arguing. Needless to say, we are no longer friends.

In a way that's too bad, because she had a decent collection of expensive pottery, which I'd like to unleash my kids on just to see how she likes it. :evil:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
While I don't have any kids, my recently married brother will bring over his wife and her numerous nieces and nephews to my house. There really isn't much to do for the younger kids, so inevitably she will bring them to my room and let them look at my Star Wars collection.

The little ones especially are fascinated by everything I have, must be like walking into an FAO Schwarz for them. While the majority of my collection is boxed, I have a large display of figures that I have opened, numbering around 60 figures or so, plus tons of loose Action Fleet/Micro Machines and a few odd loose vehicles. This stuff I don't mind that they look, touch or play, since as long as they put them back in their proper place (usually with my help). If they don't, that's when the beatings commence :)

B_C
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
I used to have a problem with my girlfriends children wanting to touch them all the time. I came up with a unique way of stopping them. I had a few bits left over from a botched Han stormtrooper I had made(arms, torso etc). What I did was, when they came home from school one day, I left the collection of han bits on the side where their mum would see it.
The first thing she said was"what happened?"....to which I said "I have no idea.....it was ok this morning"......so she blamed the kids(heh...heh)

Anyway....both kids no longer have any interest in "MY" toys and try not to even look at them if they can help it.

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Well, when I lived in NYC, no kids ever saw my collection. When I moved to Va, Angela had two kids. I was very hesitant about putting them out. I hung them on the wall(MOC).
We told the kids not to touch them. Jacob, would sit in the middle of the room and stare at them for hours on end. He knew he couldnt touch them so it was good. He has never touched them with out myself or Angela being in the room, and even then, he is very cautious.

When some neighborhood kids come by, they see the collection and basically drop their jaws in awe. I get remarks like "You have more toys than I do" or "WOW!!!!!, I never seen so many toys".

One thing I learned is never let the kids stare to long. They go into a blank stare and then they might start convulsing and go into a seizure. Not that it has ever happened, but we wouldnt want that to happen either.

JEDIpartner
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
:p

That is hilarious!!! Yeah... I'm just flinching at the thought of what Jake or his other siblings might do thinking they are "playing" toys... *sigh*

IMFETTUP
08-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Now that I think of it, I've got my coworkers asking me what their kids can play with when they bring them in to the office. My response up until recently was, "nothing." Since I am getting in the habit of opening things up, I have clearly laid out for them the yes and no's. Yeses include two palm talkers (a kid pleaser): Boba Fett and Stormtrooper, a 12" Dengar and Zuckuss, and a few loose figures (the kids seem to gravitate towards Tanus). After that, it is death to those who mess with my stuff! Is it just me or can anyone else tell when their stuff has been displaced?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Only a select few have seen the mighty collection of mine, but that includes my niece and nephew. My niece doesn't really care much for it. Hell, i let her sit upstairs and watch "Pirates of the Carribean" and I didn't have to worry about her. My nephew on the other hand, who is nearly 8, loved to go upstairs and wander around to see what he could glance at. Most of it is boxed, but lately i just toss stuff upstairs and don't put it in any rubbermaid packs or anything. He eyes them and when i got the ML wave 6, i actually had to hide them as mom told me she had seen him eyeing them with much curiosity. However, he is becoming a toy geek himself and when he said, "uncle mike, i'm trying to buy one figure of each villian and each hero" a solemn tear of geekery slid down my cheek. lol

Anybody touches the collection without being touched first is deemed KICKED OUT and aren't allowed within 50 feet of it. :crazed:

El Chuxter
08-26-2004, 03:26 PM
My wife's best friend's son has been over a few times and loves to look at stuff. He seems respectful enough of everything for a 6-year old, but he always tells his mom how cool it is to look at my stuff, and as long as he's careful I don't mind him handling the figures.

I came home once a few years ago to find my niece playing with her Beautiful Braids Padme and my 12" Tusken Raider. I almost had a hissyfit, but I had to laugh when I heard, "Who am I? I'm the Queen, and I have no idea who you're supposed to be, Mummyman!"

Droid
08-26-2004, 04:51 PM
That's probably another thread, "funny things you've heard children say about Star Wars".

One of the times I saw Episode I in the theater, I had a five year old cousin with me. When Anakin said, "Nobody can kill a Jedi" my cousin said "I can kill a Jedi" just out of the blue. Cracked me up.

Ji'dai
08-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I don't have any kids, but my cousins have seen my toys on display. Here are a couple of conversations I remember:

Zach (age 4 or 5 and really bored): "Jim, can I play with some of your toys?"
Me: "No, my stuff is only to look at and admire."
Zach: "Who's Ad Mire?"

Joe (age 5 or 6): "Why do you like Star Wars so much?"
Me: "I dunno, I grew up with it and I just do."
Joe: "I like Star Wars too." pause "Do you like wrestling?"
Me (trying not to be sarcastic since I know he loves wrestling and was wearing at t-shirt with a wrestler on it): "Uh, not really."
Joe: "Yeah, me n'either." :)

LusiferSam
08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
I also don't have any kids so day to day it's not a problem. And most of my neighbors that I know have kids my age (or older) so that's not a problem. My dad has friend with a 7 or 8 year son, who is really into SW. He has come over a few times to play with my stuff (I'm a loose collector for those who don't know). After the initial shock of how many figures I had wore off, he viewed as just like going over to a friends house to play with their toys. I think the initial shock was pretty big because I had every figure he had ever heard plus more.

Generally speaking I keep vary few SW items out. Most people don't know that I have a very big SW collection at all (which is fine by me). What gets most people's attention is my Lego collection. I may have more SW figures than Lego sets, but I tend to my Legos out. Most people (and kids) are stunned by the number of Lego set I have. And any more you'd see maybe half of what I've got because a larger number of sets have been disassembled for storage.

A few years ago we had a Christmas family reunion with my dad's side of the family. I let a couple of my cousins that were under 10 play with Legos. They were just blown away by the number of sets I had and couldn't under why they couldn't play with all of them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Recently, my five- and seven-year old cousins came to my house for a visit (with their parents, of course). I'd brought some figures to their house in a carry case before, and they liked them, and they had a few of their own, but they loved ot play with mine. I let them too, but only when I was there with them - one time, one of them pulled out Droid Factory R2-D2's string when I asked him not to (I wasn't there when he did it), and another time the other one almost took "Bobo" Fett outside when I asked him not to. We bought them the OTC Boba and the Secret Ceremony Anakin, and they also got Dutch Vander and deluxe Jango, and now they want more Star Wars figures every time they go to a store. Taking after their dear old Cousin John. :D

Slicker
08-26-2004, 09:09 PM
When I used to have my collection displayed I'd sometimes walk into my room and think "Sometimes I amaze even myself". I'm only 22 so I don't have as much as others might but I would like to think that I have a sizable collection. I have yet to have any run-ins with children but I would cry like a little girl with a scraped knee if they did anything to my collection. Damn kids.

Bobby Fett
08-26-2004, 11:02 PM
One of my favorite stories:

I was rearranging the SW room one weekend, not expecting company. I had the Queen's Royal Starship sitting in the den on the floor. In walked grandson Kenny.

Kenny: Is that a spaceship?
Me: Yes it is.
Kenny: Is that my spaceship?
Me: No it isn't.
Kenny: Can we watch a movie?
Me: You bet!

:)

mrpauldeeds
08-27-2004, 02:21 AM
lots of little kids live on my street and come to see my room of just star wars. they can play with opened stuff and such, but they know whats on the walls, stays on the walls.:D

plasticfetish
08-27-2004, 06:00 AM
"Who am I? I'm the Queen, and I have no idea who you're supposed to be, Mummyman!"That's so funny -- I actually did a spit take all over my monitor.

-----

My kid's gonna be 7 pretty soon, and over the years I've only had to adjust my collection a little from time to time. I've never had a problem with toys that are "off limits" being touched. He's always sort of understood that the stuff up on the shelf isn't his, but the stuff on the floor is fair game. I remember back when he was 2 or 3, one of my vintage Jawas fell off the shelf onto the floor -- his mom and I saw it, and we watched from across the room as he walked over to it. We let him go for some reason, watching to see what he'd do. Instead of playing with it, he reached up, setting it back on the highest shelf that he could reach, then he wandered away completely forgetting about it.

I really started collecting the modern Star Wars line, primarily so that I could give him some Star Wars toys when he was old enough to enjoy them. Along the way, I got massively hooked on them, but just the same, when the kid got a bit older I handed over a large pile of loose figures. I think the idea of sharing the whole thing with him has been important. Besides the fact that I love watching him play -- it's simply nice to see the toys being used as toys by a kid. It makes them all the more enjoyable to me.

It might be a good idea for just about everyone to keep a little tote full of loose (play safe) figures handy for when a kid comes over.

Kids aside, the most hilarious thing is when some 30ish year old person comes over to my studio and sees the toys. They end up all glassy eyed as they remember and talk about what they had as a kid. I've a few Micronauts and those really seem to be a huge distraction. I always have to let them touch or pick something up.

JEDIpartner
08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Instead of playing with it, he reached up, setting it back on the highest shelf that he could reach, then he wandered away completely forgetting about it.
Okay... that is just about the most adorable thing I think I have read in months!!

Droid
08-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I have been buying all of the Playskool/"Galactic Heroes" toys and when I have kids hope they like playing with them.

Kidhuman
08-27-2004, 10:28 AM
My kid's gonna be 7 pretty soon, and over the years I've only had to adjust my collection a little from time to time. I've never had a problem with toys that are "off limits" being touched. He's always sort of understood that the stuff up on the shelf isn't his, but the stuff on the floor is fair game. I remember back when he was 2 or 3, one of my vintage Jawas fell off the shelf onto the floor -- his mom and I saw it, and we watched from across the room as he walked over to it. We let him go for some reason, watching to see what he'd do. Instead of playing with it, he reached up, setting it back on the highest shelf that he could reach, then he wandered away completely forgetting about it.

PF, my son used to come running to me when something got knocked over because it was "out of place" He knew he couldnt touch them, so he would just tell me about it so I could fix it. Then he would sit there agnd stare again. He would alwagys say" I like your toys. I am going to collect when I get older. I'll have a collection bigger than yours." I would just smile gat him gand sgay"When I die, this collection is yours" Then he would get all bugged eyed and yell "I am going to open every one of them"

plasticfetish
08-27-2004, 02:19 PM
"When I die, this collection is yours" Then he would get all bugged eyed and yell "I am going to open every one of them"That's really funny, 'cause I can remember my son saying something to the effect that, "All of these are mine after you die, right?" a while ago.

Sometimes they're cute... sometimes they're a little cryptic. :) (Such is life.)

Slicker
08-27-2004, 03:29 PM
That's really funny, 'cause I can remember my son saying something to the effect that, "All of these are mine after you die, right?" a while ago.

Sometimes they're cute... sometimes they're a little cryptic. :) (Such is life.)You better look out or daddy may take a nasty nose dive down a flight of stairs. :evil:

TheDarthVader
08-27-2004, 09:44 PM
KH that is pretty funny. I hope my kids are that good with my collectibles whenever I decide to have kids, that is. And no, I don not hope that they open my figures once I am dead!!!!!!!!! ;)

B.
TDV

InsaneJediGirl
08-27-2004, 10:16 PM
I havent had any kids see my collection,younger ones anyways.If I did,like my stupid cousins,I would just shut the door and keep it shut.Not that I dont mind sharing my collection,its just I dont need it destroyed by little monsters :)

JediTricks
08-27-2004, 10:31 PM
This is one of the reasons I have a lock on my door where the majority of the figures live. (Ok, it's really because I don't want my computer to get stolen just in case someone gets in the front door, but it's handy for the figures as well.) My 12" figures are in the living room though, but I don't mind if they get played with. I also have a few totes full of figures I bought from the TRU dollar sale, lots of POTF2 figs like snowtroopers and Royal Guards and stuff like that, so the plan is whenever things get too hairy, just hand over a CTC Greedo and let them go to down (I still have a couple carded ones, so they can even keep 'em for all I care, I thought about giving 'em away for Halloween :D).

Kidhuman
08-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Guess I will be trick or treating at JT's house this year. :beard:

B'Omarr Monkey
08-28-2004, 12:57 AM
plasticfetish, your jawa story gave me a smile. My son has come to me a couple of times to inform me that my Abe Sapien figure had fallen off the shelf onto my keyboard, and of course, that he didn't do it. It's the loose articulated ankles. I'm a little surprised he didn't play with it once he found it, since he's been begging for his own Abe Sapien toy. I guess all those times I caught him moving my Japanese monster toys around have finally paid off.

Of course, this means he was in my office for whatever reason.

LTBasker
08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Nope, no other kids have really seen my collection. Some old friends I had years ago saw the beginnings of it and they were all like wow and stuff. Of course I didn't display anything back then either cause I actually played with my stuff full time. :p

I get awful giddy everytime I look at my room though....it's still mind blowing for me. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Woah woah, giving your collections to the younglings when you die?!! Are you people mad?!?! Am i the only one who is going to be buried with all my action figures?!?!??! After all the money, man hours and gas i've spent looking for those things and i'm just going to hand it over to some kid who never had to look for them?!!!? Psh!!! Fat freakin' chance!!! If my kid wants my toys, he's gonna have to do some work (digging up my grave) to get to my toys, dammit!! :crazed: lol

Nah, just messin'. If i have kids and the child turns out to be a collector, if he/she wants them, they're are more than welcome to take them in after i perish. However, I will make them sign a contract stating that they are to keep everything MOC and if they open them, the figures shall be taken away and my angry spirit will torment them until the right the wrongdoing. lol

Cheerio! :D

JEDIpartner
08-31-2004, 08:30 AM
I just had this image of little Jake going up to my toys and quietly "playing" with them in secret, breaking one of the legs and hiding the destroyed piece under something...

...I really get myself worked up sometimes.

Kidhuman
08-31-2004, 09:30 PM
I am still missing a Lego stormie, I havent a clue where it went. Think my kid took it.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-31-2004, 10:39 PM
J. M. Guyute, you just reminded me of something. My father is an antiques dealer. A few years ago he had every single vintage figure, playset, vehicle, whatever, including Droids and Ewoks, MOC or MIMB filling a room of his house. Not only did I drool, but I was willing an anneurism or something on him right then and there. It didn't work. He's still alive and that room of loot has been sold off. So much for an inheriitance I actually wanted. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Devo
09-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Terrifying stories, truly terrifying. No child will ever enter my bedroom. They'd probably try climbing the shelves and kill themselves such is the haphazard way I've mounted a small unit on top of a big one and another big one on top of a cabinet. Naturally though concerns for child safety are secondary.

As for my McFarlane collection, those are a tad more accessible to my 2 year old cousin, who last week was captivated by various figures armed with knives. A fascination that I desperately encouraged mainly to distract her from my more prized figures on the shelf above. Heres hoping I don't hear of her hospitalising herself with real knives, thats gonna come out of my toy fund isn't it? Anyway she knocked a few of my 'lesser' figures over but the impulse to administer a savage beating was curtailed by her unexpected apology. I almost felt warmth in my heart....horrible.