PDA

View Full Version : Any PS2 recommendations?

JediTricks
12-22-2001, 11:36 AM
I just won a Playstation 2 and got it in the mail, so I was wondering what games I should get (PS1 or 2) and what accessories are good.

QLD
12-23-2001, 05:44 PM
I would suggest the following:

Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Final Fantasy X
Madden 2002
Grand Theft Auto 3

That is the cream of the crop on PS2 so far

LTBasker
12-23-2001, 06:16 PM
I would highly suggest Midnight Club and Starfighter, those two rock!

JediTricks
12-23-2001, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys. I'm all geared up to get GTA3, that game looks awesome. Is Starfighter really that good? I never played the demo and have been apprehensive about it because it's a lot of made-up stuff (I think), but if it's good...

derek
12-24-2001, 04:04 AM
how did you win a playstation 2?

"starfighter" is o.k. you'll beat the game in a few days and then forget about it. the graphics are good, but it has a "** hum" feeling about it. it's easily forgetable. rent before buying.

i don't give a dang about real world skateboarding, but the tony hawk series is, in my opinion, one of the most fun series i have ever played. the gameplay is awesome and the replay value is tops!

as mentioned above, "grand theft auto 3" is the best game on the system, based on it's awesome replay value. buy without renting.

and one game to avoid like the plague is "agent under fire". don't even rent this one. it just plain sucks.

if you like racing games, "rumble racing" is pretty fun and "nascar heat" is pretty good. stay away from the EA nascar game.

super bombad racing is pretty boring after about 5 minutes, so you may want to bypass this one.

"red faction" is a good game.

JediTricks
12-25-2001, 06:34 AM
A company I do business with asked to have their customer service survey filled out, and it entered me in the contest.

Why is 007 "Agent Under Fire" so bad? I haven't heard jack squat about it yet till now, so I'm a bit surprised.

One thing I am looking for is a lot of play value without having to spend a lot of time so anybody can come over and play this thing and have a lot of fun without having to spend 10 hours on the couch. ;)

derek
12-25-2001, 11:30 AM
the bad about "agent under fire":

horrible enemy AI
no challenge to the game play
you can finish this game in one day and have no desire to ever play it again.(i played goldeneye for over 2 years, by comparision)
no replay value
control scheme is bad
it is not an improvement on past shooters
limited play area
everytime you do something almost meaningless, like zap a lock with your watch lazer, the 007 theme starts playing.

the good about "agent under fire":

the graphics
that's about it.

JediTricks
12-27-2001, 02:52 AM
Thanks derek. :)

Darth Evil
12-27-2001, 02:20 PM
Goldeneye is greatest Bond game ever, AuF isn't THAT bad, just not great. Starfighter is good, getting all the medals adds to the replay value and the reward is very cool.

derek
12-27-2001, 03:04 PM
agent under fire is bad mainly beacuse other than the graphics, on a more powerful maching, it isn't an improvement on goldeneye. it seems like the james bond games have been going in reverse since goldeneye, quality-wise. if Rare had this license, as opposed to EA, i'd be happy. the medal of honor series, also by EA is pretty good on the PS1, and the new PC medal of honor plays very well. i guess they think the name james bond will sell units by itself and the extra attention to detail is not necessary.

JediTricks
12-31-2001, 09:30 AM
Well, even though I'm quite strapped for $$$, I picked up a $20 used copy of Twisted Metal Black and had a great time with it. It was the cheapest used game there because it had no instructions, but I didn't care because I was confident it would give away a lot in the options and such - luckily, I was right, great game even without knowing everything about, "challenge" mode is fun to jump into even if I don't win a lot. ;)

SirSteve
12-31-2001, 10:23 AM
Here is my PS recommendation.... get an X-box.

:)

JT - keep your PS2 because you won it. ;)

master jedi
12-31-2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Here is my PS recommendation.... get an X-box.

:)

JT - keep your PS2 because you won it. ;)

X-Box??? Are you crazy? Get a Gamecube instead.

Wolfwood319
01-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Gamecube is where its at! I personally don't like the X-Box right now.

PS2 still has the best games overall though.

If you want a game you can just pick up and play:

GTA 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Devil May Cry
Dynasty Warriors 2 (repetitive, but extremely fun)

If you have a little time to invest:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Chronics

you get the idea.

bigbarada
01-01-2002, 02:39 AM
The one game that PS2 has that's gotten me thinking about buying one is Okage. Seems like a really bizarre and original game. Ico seems cool too.

I have yet to see anything on X-Box that I'm even considering buying the system for.

Gamecube is awesome!

SirSteve
01-01-2002, 11:20 AM
PS2 only does Dolby Digital during cut-scenes, X-box does it throughout the entire game play. Metal Gear Solid 2 is even coming out for X-box! The list can go on and on... Gamecube... only if you are a mario fan.

bigbarada
01-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Gamecube... only if you are a mario fan.

Mario? I'm psyched about Legend of Zelda! The new cell-shaded look is awesome!

derek
01-01-2002, 01:32 PM
like big barada said, the new zelda is coming out on the gamecube, along with the new perfect dark. when these two come out, i'll probably trade a bunch of games and a few old systems to get a gamecube.:)

these two games will make the gamecube well worth owning.

QLD
01-01-2002, 06:02 PM
Personally, I am in video game heaven right now.

So many great gams to play.

Halo
Grand Theft Auto 3
Rogue Leader
Metal Gear Solid 2
Super Smash Brothers
Final Fantasy X
Super Monkey Ball
Devil May Cry
Luigis Mansion

It's hard for me to decide what to play very day. I think it is silly to get caught up in "console wars". The only person you hurt, is yourself.

I know X-Box doesn't have too many games right now, but I think Halo is the finest game available period right now. And if you think it's bad on X-Box right now, you should have gotten one when it launched 10/00. There was NOTHING even remotely worthwhile for months. JT is lucky he won it now, and not when it was an odd shaped paperweight.

master jedi
01-01-2002, 06:18 PM
The X-Box crashes a heck of a lot. The controller sucks when compared to the controllers of the Gamecube and PS2..

Another thing, the X-Box is made by Satan. You know it's true.

QLD
01-01-2002, 11:14 PM
I've heard about the X-box crashing, but I have never seen it. Maybe I got the "magic" X-box. Mine seems to withstand hours of endless Halo play, and keeps running strong.

master jedi
01-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Each system has their own qualities and strong points. I go with Nintendo because they put out a good, quality system. PlayStation is a great system and is probably better than a Nintendo. X-Box is made by Microsoft and I just don't trust that they can put out a quality system because....well...just look at Windows for crying out loud.

Wolfwood319
01-02-2002, 11:16 PM
X-Box is a console that has primarily PC ports. I don't like shooters that much, and I don't care for Halo. They all seem to be about the same.

SSBM, Rogue Leader, Pikmin, and Super Monkey Ball are all really great games, more than worth the price of a gamecube, IMO.

PS2 wins with just its massive library of games and developers. There are some great PS1 as well as some really excellent PS2 titles.

I'm not a sound junky, so I really don't care about Dolby that muchm, and MGS2 is already out for PS2.

JediTricks
01-02-2002, 11:52 PM
X-box will almost certainly avoid my home for its duration. Not only do I not care about Dolby Digital at all, but I am really quite leary of anything Microsoft puts out (for aforementioned reasons) and that Hex-box controller is super-rank, the one I used at TRU felt ugly. Plus, the lack of "DVD out of the box" really is unappealing.

I have been interested in getting a Gamecube, but it needs to go down in price first (or I need to win the lottery ;)). I love the Rogue Leader game on it, but I only get to play it at TRU once in a while.

GTA3 and Devil May Cry have been really tempting, but even their used prices were really high. I've never been into Final Fantasy games.

I experienced an xbox crash on Kmart's demo, they had to put a sign on it after it kept crashing, then they finally just pulled the plug.

master jedi
01-03-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I have been interested in getting a Gamecube, but it needs to go down in price first (or I need to win the lottery ;)). I love the Rogue Leader game on it, but I only get to play it at TRU once in a while.

At least the Game Cube isn't as much as the X-Box.

The guy who designed the controller for the X-Box should be taken outback and shot.

JediTricks
01-04-2002, 04:32 AM
No, don't get me wrong, the price tag on the hex-box makes me swallow my tongue each time I see it, I just can't afford a Gundam figure right now, much less an entire new game system.

I hope Bill Gates himself developed that controller, just for the sheer symmetry of it. ;)

QLD
01-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Video Games is an expensive hobby, I almost didn't make it through the pay period after buying my X-Box, Gamecube, and Metal Gear Solid.

And I still maintain that the X-Box controller is fine except for the buttons being to close together. That does suck.

Although, I find the Gamecube controller cool, yet waaaayyyyy to small. It's built for puny men with puny hands.

master jedi
01-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Although, I find the Gamecube controller cool, yet waaaayyyyy to small. It's built for puny men with puny hands.

Judging by your name I guess you would need big hands. (It's a compliment really.)

Lord Malakite
01-05-2002, 03:34 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gamecube... only if you are a mario fan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats not entirely true. Nintendo has a great deal of games worth buying for their systems. If you're afraid of the kiddy image deal, then there are obviously some great second and third party games you have missed. Some examples would include Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and of course, Rogue Squadron and Battle For Naboo are just a few.

I'll admit right now that I'm 100% loyal to Nintendo and won't get another system unless I won it. I wouldn't say I'm 100% biased however. I just have a great respect for the company with their detail to quality. Despite the lack of games for the N64, Nintendo and their second parties literally kept it alive on their own merit. To be honest, if Sony and Microsoft (if they didn't have all that money) were put in a similar situation, they would probably die off.

I'm against getting X-Box for two reasons. One, the price is too much, and two, Microsoft's reason for entering the console marketin the first place. They only reason they entered is because they were afraid of the online capabilities the new systems feature and how it would take away from their computer monopoly.

Sony is slightly better though. They have the third party support like Metal Gear Solid and MGS 2: Son of Liberty. Plus, Nintendo did technically stab them in the back, so it was only fair. For those who don't know, the Playstation was originally supposed to a CD add-on for the Super Nintendo by Phillips, but they stabbed them in the back for Sony, then they stabbed Sony in the back to go back to Phillips. Finally, they decided to work together, only to have it completely cancelled by Nintendo. So Sony (Playstation) and Phillps (CD-I) went it alone. Phillips failed and you obviously know about Sony. Their biggest problem however, is they have no good first party games (if any at that), and the only second party worth anything is Square. Unfortunately for Sony, they will most likely lose their best third party support to Microsoft by buying them off.

Finally, there is Sega. They are as close to quality as you are going to get other than Nintendo. Unfortunately they are out of the console making buisness. Microsoft actually tried to buy Sega out a while ago for several million dollars.

While they may have gotten arrogent at times, Nintendo has proven that they can stand alone and make good games that have appeal for all ages. Plus, they have several second parties that make just as good quality games and are for more mature audiences. So Nintendo is not just for Mario fans.

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

Actually, it's built to fit both adults' and kids' hands. Most kids have small hands; so I think Nintendo used the law of averages to make it. Of course, it was designed in Japan and we all know Japanese have such big, burly hands.:rolleyes: ;)

I agree an all of your points, Malakite. While a majority of GC games are kid friendly, I think by this time next year us Nintendo fans will have a library roughly the size of the current PS2 selection.

HOWEVER, I do wish that Nintendo would consider getting out of the hardware business like Sega did. Can you imagine no console wars? No more agonizing over which system to buy because all games play on one console? This way I wouldn't have to buy $500 worth of hardware just to play the new Zelda AND the new Final Fantasy. Oh well, I can dream can't I?

QLD
01-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Yes, I am constantly in awe of the Japanese and their big hands! :D

I just wish they had made an "American" controller, on a slightly larger scale.

I guess the price of X-Box doesn't seem so bad after I spent $300 on a Playstation, $300 on a PS2, $700 on a 3-DO, and $200 on the Sega CD. It's not great, but I just assume that when systems launch these days that they will be $300. Though one thing that Sony does that irks me, is only TWO controller ports. Everyone else has wisened up and put 4 in. For 300 smackeroos, I could at least get 4 controller ports. The problem with using the "multi-tap method", is that companies don't like to develop software for peripherals. So, Sony has few games that take advantage of the 4 player feature, other than EA games. I guess I just look at the Sony as my 1 player system, and my X-Box and Gamecube as my "party" systems.