PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait for ROTS! No, really. I mean it!

stillakid
08-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Just like the title says, I really can't wait. I'm sure some of you out there will think that I'm just being my cynical old self, but it isn't true.

After quickly browsing through some of the threads people have been talking about lately, it seems as if we've talked most of them out (though ever more discrepencies seem to pop up all the time:

And I understand C-3P0 could get a memory wipe and that Owen might not remember a robot he had 20 years ago, but it is kind of annoying that when I watch A New Hope when 3P0 says, "My first job was working ..." my mind now inserts "right over there, working for you." (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=347547&postcount=36)

I think that the time has come for Lucas to answer all of these nagging questions and put them to rest, for good or bad. In general, I try to stay away from speculative talk because there isn't much point to it. In the end, we all just have to sit back and wait to see what the next chapter will bring. There are a variety of issues that have raised eyebrows (why does Obi Wan hide baby Luke in the most obvious place in the universe?) and inspired heated debate (why reveal the identity of Darth Vader before ESB has a chance to build drama about it?). All kinds of rationalizations and excuses and apologies have been dished out over the past couple of years in attempts to explain the inconsistencies. It's time to see if those were vain attempts or in fact right on target.

For some reason, I woke up this morning actually excited about the possibility of seeing Episode III. Make no mistake, I'm going in far more guarded than I was for TPM or AOTC, and for good reason. But as always (that's as always ) I'll remain open-minded about it until the last frame flickers away. I'll praise it if deserved. I'll destroy it if called for. But the time is growing near and I, for one, can't wait.

Imperial Monarche
08-31-2004, 09:50 AM
why reveal the identity of Darth Vader before ESB has a chance to build drama about it.
Well, since the movie hasn't come out yet, but who has said that we will actually see Anakin made into Vader? Who knows, we may leave the movie thinking that Anakin is dead and Vader was Palpatine's next apprentice choice. Of course, nothing will preserve the surprise for us, but it would for future generations who watch it 1-6.

But, I am very excited about ROTS. Days are being counted down as I speak.

Droid
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, since the movie hasn't come out yet and pictures have leaked showing [EDITED OUT OF ORIGINAL POST -JT], but who has said that we will actually see Anakin made into Vader? .
Ya know, this is a SPOILER free thread. For Pete's sake, I may just have to stop coming to the forums until after the movie. I am really tired of people assuming that I OBVIOUSLY know something or assuming that because a spoiler has been leaked it isn't a spoiler anymore.

stillakid
08-31-2004, 11:10 AM
Ya know, this is a SPOILER free thread. For Pete's sake, I may just have to stop coming to the forums until after the movie. I am really tired of people assuming that I OBVIOUSLY know something or assuming that because a spoiler has been leaked it isn't a spoiler anymore.

Um, I understand where you're coming from...I really do. But seriously, there are some things that you already know from viewing the Original Trilogy, like Anakin is beat up pretty badly under all that armor. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a spoiler exactly. It's more like...common sense.

Now a "spoiler" would be something that is COMPLETELY out of the blue that can't be discerned from the previous films, like (and this is ENTIRELY hypothetical, so don't get your panties in a bunch) Dex is really Mace in disguise. Nobody would see that coming so getting info like that in advance would "spoil" (hence the term) the surprise.

So in that way, for future viewers of the Saga who see it in episode order, if :rolleyes: Lucas decides to show Anakin becoming Vader, it will "spoil" the surprise that is so carefully laid out in the Original Trilogy.

2-1B
08-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Of course you can't wait - you've spent enough time tearing the movie down already so it will be nice to confirm your criticisms. :crazed:

I'll bet $20 that stillakid will hate ROTS. Any takers ? :D

Droid
08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Um, I understand where you're coming from...I really do. But seriously, there are some things that you already know from viewing the Original Trilogy, like Anakin is beat up pretty badly under all that armor. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a spoiler exactly. It's more like...common sense.

Now a "spoiler" would be something that is COMPLETELY out of the blue that can't be discerned from the previous films, like (and this is ENTIRELY hypothetical, so don't get your panties in a bunch) Dex is really Mace in disguise. Nobody would see that coming so getting info like that in advance would "spoil" (hence the term) the surprise.

Don't you tell me what to do with my panties! ;)

I know how the story goes. I know that Luke and Leia are Anakin's children. What I don't know - and what I don't want to know is how much actually gets revealed on screen in Episode III. For all I know Anakin fell in some fiery pit (or something) but they won't show that he survives. Therefore, it is left a mystery that Anakin becomes Vader for those viewing the movies in chronological order. Perhaps Piett seeing Vader in his meditation chamber would be the first hint for such a viewer that Vader is Anakin. I did not know that they would show [SPOILER REFERENCE REMOVED -JT] in the film. Frankly, I did not know that Lucas would say [SPOILER REFERENCE REMOVED -JT], though I know that is in the Jedi novel I think. But that never stopped Lucas from changing something. It could have been some other accident.

For example, for all I know (and would like to know until the movie), Padme will be pregnant at the end of the film but they won't show the birth of the twins, even though I know from the original trilogy they are ultimately born.

This picture of [SPOILER REFERENCE REMOVED -JT] isn't a big deal in theory. But there are a number of offenders on this site saying "by now we all know" and the like in spoiler free threads.

Makes me crazy.

TheDarthVader
08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Of course you can't wait - you've spent enough time tearing the movie down already so it will be nice to confirm your criticisms. :crazed:

Lol! Yeah, I know for a fact that he will hate it.

B.
TDV

Rocketboy
08-31-2004, 08:07 PM

I'll bet $20 that stillakid will hate ROTS. Any takers ? :DThat's a pretty safe bet. I just assumed he was sick of bashing TPM and AOTC and wanted new stuff to gripe about.

scruffziller
09-01-2004, 09:29 AM

B.
TDV
Oh come on now give him a chance, he is being sincere. Stilla might be cynical but he is genuine.:) I would rather have folks like him around than noncynical flakes.:)

JediTricks
09-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Um, I understand where you're coming from...I really do. But seriously, there are some things that you already know from viewing the Original Trilogy, like Anakin is beat up pretty badly under all that armor. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a spoiler exactly. It's more like...common sense.It IS a spoiler and I've removed it. It's a spoiler because we don't know what this film will SHOW and what it will NOT, so when someone confirms what it will SHOW then it's a spoiler. Hell, even your post I'm quoting is a confirmation of what the now-removed spoiler in this thread was, so if anybody were putting 2 and 2 together in here they'd get spoiler info they didn't even want.

Droid, I removed the references of this spoiler from your post. Sorry it was spoiled, I will talk to the mods about this section because I have the same concern as you.

Droid
09-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks, JediTricks! Hope I didn't get anyone in trouble. If you are really wanting to keep us spoiler-free folks visiting the forums, is there anyway that when I go to the New Posts section it can hide spoiler thread titles? I've been hit quite a few times on that. I just don't know why people have to title their threads "THIS IS HOW THE MOVIE ENDS" or something. Why not something more subtle so that you have to enter the thread to get the spoiler?

stillakid
09-02-2004, 10:06 AM

B.
TDV

Maybe, maybe not. But the long and short of it is that I'm going in with an open mind, unlike people like you who will drool and slobber and wag your tail after anything Lucas churns out. :ermm: To each his own, I guess.

Certainly, I am already vehemently against some of the things I've already heard [no spoilers] that will be in the film. Big big BIG mistakes on the horizon if true. But then again, unless these elements are blended in some mystical and miraculous way that will make the most awful moments of Episodes I and II make complete sense, then yeah, the entire Prequel experience will officially go down as "unofficial" Expanded Universe.

But we'll see. :)

stillakid
09-02-2004, 11:46 AM

I haven't spent that much time tearing down Episode III. Afterall, we don't know much about it yet, do we? But yeah, by virtue of what George already made (Episodes IV, V, and VI) and the way he made them, there are definitely things that shouldn't be in Episode III that reportedly will be. We ALL should be protesting that sort of nonsense instead of empowering him to carry on this way. So my criticisms of Episode III up to this point have been nothing but justified. "Confirmation" will only be in regard to those things actually being in the movie. I won't go into ROTS spoilers here, but as an example, it's just like protesting seeing Yoda in Episode I because it ruins the "surprise" that was filmed in ESB. An extremely valid argument just like the Episode III revelation arguments.

But in order to see ROTS as objectively as possible, I think I'll have to fool myself into the idea that this is nothing more than Expanded Universe stuff. It's a forgone conclusion that the Prequels have tossed out any semblence of continuity with the OT films, so with that new paradigm in mind, I hopefully can watch ROTS like any other mindless popcorn flick with subpar writing, acting, and story and "enjoy it for what it is" just like the Lucas-ites have been asking me (and others) to do for a long time. :D

CropDuster
09-02-2004, 07:53 PM

That is definitely a safe bet. We have seen George fail on the first two episodes. Therefore, why would he all of a sudden be enlightened and know how to make a good movie in time to save ROTS? Chances are it will suffer from the same enigmatic and inconsistant writing that has plagued TPM and AOTC. That's why, not only will I not take you up on the bet, but I'll probably be right there picking Lucas' newest mistake to shreds and exposing it for the substandard movie that it may well turn out to be.

JediTricks
09-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks, JediTricks! Hope I didn't get anyone in trouble. You didn't.

If you are really wanting to keep us spoiler-free folks visiting the forums, is there anyway that when I go to the New Posts section it can hide spoiler thread titles? I've been hit quite a few times on that. I just don't know why people have to title their threads "THIS IS HOW THE MOVIE ENDS" or something. Why not something more subtle so that you have to enter the thread to get the spoiler?No, it was quite difficult for Steve to add the spolier-hider on the main page to begin with, and that's a static page whereas New Posts is a search feature. I suggest that spoiler-free people stop using the New Posts system, instead the forums have images and links that show you and take you to the posts that are new since your last visit.

Imperial Monarche
09-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks, JediTricks! Hope I didn't get anyone in trouble.

Come on, Droid! I realized I messed up by posting that and didn't realize how bent out of shape you would get by posting something so untrival as something that may have been a fake, but you didn't have to suck up to one of the moderators when they fixed it. I thought we were being mature around here. :crazed:

2-1B
09-03-2004, 01:47 AM
That is definitely a safe bet. We have seen George fail on the first two episodes. Therefore, why would he all of a sudden be enlightened and know how to make a good movie in time to save ROTS? Chances are it will suffer from the same enigmatic and inconsistant writing that has plagued TPM and AOTC. That's why, not only will I not take you up on the bet, but I'll probably be right there picking Lucas' newest mistake to shreds and exposing it for the substandard movie that it may well turn out to be.

All points well taken. :)
However, you do realize that by "taking me up on the bet," you are actually betting that stillakid WON'T hate E3, right ? ;)

Droid
09-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Come on, Droid! I realized I messed up by posting that and didn't realize how bent out of shape you would get by posting something so untrival as something that may have been a fake, but you didn't have to suck up to one of the moderators when they fixed it. I thought we were being mature around here. :crazed:

I'm not sure of the degree I was bent out of shape. I wasn't filled with rage or anything. And I believe that if you review my posts, I wasn't quite as miffed at what you posted as the attitude of many people (not necessarily you specifically) that once Lucasfilm leaked or announced something it was no longer a spoiler. I mean they're going to release the novel weeks before the movie (which makes me crazy). Are we to believe that simply because Lucas allowed the book to be released that having someone insist on reading me the last chapter wouldn't be a spoiler?

I also don't believe your original post indicated that the photos might have been fake.

I don't know that I was "sucking up" to JediTricks so much as expressing genuine appreciation for his concern for people who are TRYING to remain spoiler free to be able to do so.

I think we are being mature. No one's flaming each other or anything. I really haven't given this a second thought other than when I was reading this thread.

But really, stillakid's thread has been hijacked here. stillakid, you were saying?

stillakid
09-03-2004, 10:16 AM
All points well taken. :)
However, you do realize that by "taking me up on the bet," you are actually betting that stillakid WON'T hate E3, right ? ;)

I have a question. Do I have to hate the whole thing or what if I just hate parts of it?

JediTricks
09-04-2004, 01:22 AM
Sorry stilla, you can't bet on yourself here, Vegas won't allow it, they'll break your thumbs if you try. ;)

As a counter-point to Stilla on this, I am not looking forward to Ep 3 at all yet, I'm just not feeling it. I felt more anticipation about picking up the latest Transformers figures than Ep 3, and it's not because I've heard anything about the film itself either. A friend of mine feels that if I don't like the prequels so much thus far, I shouldn't bother going to see Ep 3 at all. I felt it was an interesting point, but my internal "secret optimist" prevents me from doing so - I want to see Ep 3 on the big screen at the Chinese theater even if it sucks worse than any other SW film so far. Does that make me a sucker? Perhaps. Does that make me a sucker for Star Wars specifically? Probably so, I still haven't bothered to see Matrix Revolutions after the dreadful Matrix Reloaded, so why can't I walk away from SW so easily? Dunno. But I'm still not excited either.

scruffziller
09-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Probably so, I still haven't bothered to see Matrix Revolutions after the dreadful Matrix Reloaded, so why can't I walk away from SW so easily? Dunno. But I'm still not excited either.
I would think if anything this would be the only prequel you would ever need or want to see. And I think that is why Stilla is excited because this one has the most potential for substance than the other 2 did.

stillakid
09-04-2004, 10:12 AM
, I still haven't bothered to see Matrix Revolutions after the dreadful Matrix Reloaded, so why can't I walk away from SW so easily? Dunno. But I'm still not excited either.

Interesting point there. I didn't bother to see Matrix 2 or 3 because 1 was so godawful. I didn't bother to see LOTR 3 because I never could get into the whole thing (saw 2 thinking that maybe I was just missing something...nope). But I've invested a lot of myself into this saga over the past (almost) 30 years so I might as well see it through at this point. I'm sure it's not about "substance," as Scruff hypothosized. The problems with the Prequels so far haven't been as much about lack of substance (even though that is a problem) but more about what Lucas is doing with what it there. The elements haven't gelled into what is considered "good" storytelling. Even some of the most banal and thin plots sometimes wind up being very entertaining.

The good news is that neither of the Prequels has quite hit the level of something like Batman & Robin (which is COMPLETELY unwatchable), but it's sad that a reference like that even has to be made. I'd much rather be saying something like, "Ya know, I can't decide if I like Episode I better or [fill in favorite movie of all time here]."

George has let me down twice. Based on that, I don't expect a miracle here, but he gets a last chance.

Turambar
09-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Even if I did like E3, I would have to accept the other two prequels and their alterations to the trilogy that I loved before Lucas ruined it for me. So, no prequels or special, special editions for me. I don't plan on seeing this one.

JediTricks
09-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I would think if anything this would be the only prequel you would ever need or want to see. Doesn't speak too highly for the content of Eps 1 and 2 though, but I do see your point.

The good news is that neither of the Prequels has quite hit the level of something like Batman & Robin (which is COMPLETELY unwatchable), but it's sad that a reference like that even has to be made. Geez stilla, way to bring me down, you've basically just forced me to reflect upon this statement and then sum up how I feel about the first 2 prequels: "they're doomed to mediocrity." They're not so bad that they could be good, they're just mediocre, and that's the worst for movies I think because when a film leaves an audience member with such a general malaise, nothing stands out for too long except the absolute worst parts while the rest gets lost to the ether.