PDA

View Full Version : DVD changes - list/pics & soundbytes

tagmac
08-30-2004, 01:09 PM
http://www.geocities.com/starwarstrilogydvd/main.html

Not sure if this link was already posted, but here's a complete list of changes to the DVD's, with pics to back them up. Just click on the episode numbers to view each. The fixes to Jabba and (finally!)the Rancor & Vader's saber look great, and it's about time the Emperor was fixed in ESB, but I was really hoping the Hayden in ROTJ thing would turn out to be a hoax. I guess not anymore..... :(

El Chuxter
08-30-2004, 01:57 PM
The site seems to be down due to high traffic. Do you know if the list is posted somewhere else?

tagmac
08-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure. I happened to find the link posted in an IMDB forum. Leave it to geocities to constantly put a site down duje to "excessive bandwidth use."

I also came accross two soundbites on IMDB. The first is an excerpt from the redone Vader/Emperor scene in ESB. The second is Boba's changed voice. The Palpy scene sounds pretty good, but I think the original Fett voice was better. Temeura Morrison just doesn't sound quite so sinister, and I always felt the original voice was still close enough to keep.

http://www.aptirrelevance.com/gupta/esb_emperor-vader.mp3

http://www.aptirrelevance.com/gupta/esb-boba-fett.mp3

Bobby Fett
08-30-2004, 10:39 PM
If these are accurate, some of the changes are definitely for the better.

Thanks for the link.

JEDIpartner
09-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I was really hoping to catch a date for when the next INSIDER is coming out. I can't recall when the site or the magazine said the next issues was due. They are supposed to be devoting quite a bit of the issue to the DVDs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
I was really hoping to catch a date for when the next INSIDER is coming out. I can't recall when the site or the magazine said the next issues was due. They are supposed to be devoting quite a bit of the issue to the DVDs.
I bet the DVD will be out before then, which is stupid. Since they went back to their old every-two-months dealy when they became Hyperspace.

Bosskman
09-01-2004, 06:52 PM
I was really looking forward to Palpy being fixed but that dialogue is odd. His voice isn't raspy like it should be. It's too smooth. It sound's like Palpy's been into the valium.

Devo
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I though we were getting the special edition versions. Now its the special editions with amendments? Goddamn it. Just release all versions for chrissakes, whats the problem? I don't want to be reminded of the crappy prequels when I'm watching real star wars. I should be given a choice.

TheDarthVader
09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
NICE! IMPRESSIVE! VERY IMPRESSIVE! I can't wait for these new DVDs. All of the changes are welcome in my book. I am excited! Thanks for the great link, it is appreciated. Changes don't bother me. Life is about change.

B.
TDV

Darkross
09-02-2004, 10:54 AM
I've got one problem with the change to the Vader and Emperor scene. The Emperor telling Vader that it was Skywalker who destroyed the deathstar...sounds stupid. It adds nothing to the movie...since the opening crawl says that Vader has been scouting the galaxy to find Luke...and then quickly changes direction and hyperspaces it to Hoth to get him. This scene with the Emperor doesn't happen until much later in the film...after the Falcon has escaped into the space cave.

Pendo
09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Out of all the changes George has made, the one I really cannot find an understanding for is why he removed Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows????? :crazed:

I loved those big furry catapillars crawling across his face!!! :p Not that they were actually that big or noticable. WHY REMOVE THEM????? :confused:

PENDO!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, all of the rest of Anakin's hair was burned off, why not his eyebrows?

Are there any changes that haven't already been covered in the main DVD thread? I still can't get to that site.

Pendo
09-03-2004, 05:47 AM
Anyone know if Han's reflection been removed in ROTJ when running away from the Imperial bunker?

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
09-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Very cool breakdown for the upcoming DVD's!!! Thanks for sharing. They all look to be winners so I'm looking forward to this set even more now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2004, 06:03 PM
http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/s/starwarstrilogydvd/main.html

Here is a site that has all the changes, none of the traffic. The new Dianoga sounds good!

TheDarthVader
09-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Hahahahaha! I am laughing at myself for believing that Lucas changed the diaglogue exchange between the Emperor and Vader in ESB. That sound clip is a clip from Rebel Squadron III: Rebel Strike game available only for the gamecube. I happen to own the game and found the cut scene where the Emperor says the exact thing he says in that clip. Clever, but not clever enough to totally convince me. :D Its FAKE, NOT REAL! It will not be in the movie.

B.
TDV

tagmac
09-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear that. I have to admit, I wasn't completely sure about that soundbyte when I posted it, although I do believe the Boba Fett clip is real.

evenflow
09-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Has there been any more confirmation on what really has changed or not.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Hahahahaha! I am laughing at myself for believing that Lucas changed the diaglogue exchange between the Emperor and Vader in ESB. That sound clip is a clip from Rebel Squadron III: Rebel Strike game available only for the gamecube. I happen to own the game and found the cut scene where the Emperor says the exact thing he says in that clip. Clever, but not clever enough to totally convince me. :D Its FAKE, NOT REAL! It will not be in the movie.

B.
TDV
Uh, what? I rented that game last night, and the Emperor sounds nothing like Ian McDiarmid. The clip is clearly him. Sorry, but I believe the dialogue is going to be changed for the DVD.

Master Plo- Koon
09-06-2004, 03:17 PM

B.
TDV

It is clearly real. And another site even had the .mov file of that scene and it had the new dialogue. Everything else about the scene is the same, its basically changed in my opinion because its greater showing the relationship between Palpatine and Vader, showing how Vader is trying to also appear like he doesnt know about Luke or that he has a son hiding it from the Emperor his intention later at the end of the movie when he asks luke to join him and for them to together overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son. So in my opinion the new dialogue is actually better.

Its just you have to spend a little more time thinking about why would Vader say that to the Emperor, when it clearly states in the beginning he knows about Luke and has been obsessed with finding him, hes just hiding his true motives from his master.

TheDarthVader
09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Ut oh! True. I just played the game and the emperor doesn't really sound like Ian. I admit that I may have been mistaken. Mind Pm-ing me the link for the .mov file? I would like to see it. Thanks.

B.
TDV

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 03:32 AM
F!!! Change! If these changes are true, I'm really starting to HATE!!! Lucas! I already can't stand TM's redub of Boba's line, it's not nearly as cold and dryly delivered as the original! I've explained before on other threads there's no reason to change Boba's voice! Hell, my sister lived hear in Syracuse for 20 years, has been in DC for about the past 15 with no accent change, but now she's been in Virginia for like a year, and she already sounds like she has a southern accent! It happens so why can't Boba's sound different than his father!!!
My biggest argument though is just respecting the sanctity of his original work! Think about other movies, in Citizen Kane should the ending be changed where the reporter finds out what rosebud means so the audience "gets it more"? Should maybe a new scene be shot to give a better understanding and breadth to the sleds importance? Hey while we are at it maybe all black and white movies should be colorized. I mean that technology has been around for forever now, why not do what couldn't be done then, while we're at it maybe we can add dialogue to silent films, like Chaplin movies!
Should Taxi Driver have a happier ending, because we shouldn't send the wrong message to kids?! Maybe all Batman movie sequels could be CGI corrected to include Michael Keatons face over all other actors' for continuity purposes! I mean hey, just 'cause the guy didn't want to renew the role, doesn't mean we can't have continuity! :rolleyes:

Change is good in Life, not in Films(especially 20 years later) :mad:
Someone has got to pull back on the reigns and stop this madman, before his ego totally explodes and next thing you know he'll want to totally redo the OT with new actors because they still look outdated!!!! I mean he actually is starting to replace actors and artists work, so why not just reshoot the movies? What's stopping him? SW:ANH (revisited)2010 SW:ESB(revisited) 2013, and SW:RotJ(revisited) 2016 Can't Wait!!!!!!!!!! :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

JediTricks
09-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Great post Xir, reminds me of something a friend recently said about all these OT DVD changes when he likenedLucas to that of the reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes.

Darth Alex
09-08-2004, 12:16 PM
The FYE store in Dickson City, PA got in a "promo" of ANH. This is the store up in the Viewmont Mall if yer near it.
After reading all these posts and viewing a little of the DVD, I gotta agree-the changes that Lucas has again made to the film(since I only saw ANH) are retarded.
The menus are cool, but the cover and the inlay sheet are horrible looking. Granted, the side with the 50 chapter listing is neat, but no multiple page booklet with different photos and poster art(ala LOTR!!!), just a dumb drawing and that cover. Continuity is one thing, but this photoshop disaster for one of the greatest movies of all time is baaad.
ANH looks touched up. Now, granted, I was watching this on one of those mini DVD players, but the picture looked sharp. The rebel/stormtrooper battle had a LOT of laser blasts and they were nice,red, and deadly...however unneeded.
Jabba looks better, but still like a really crappy CGI creature.
Greedo and Han seem to shoot AT THE SAME TIME NOW, however i'm sure if you freeze frame it, Greedo squeezed his trigger maybe a shosh faster.
Vader vs. Ole'Ben does have better lightsaber effects.
Blah, Blah Blah. I could go on, but I don't want to spoil TOO much for everyone and I'd like to discover some things on a real-sized TV.

But to finish my two cents for now...

CONSIDER THIS:
Dawn of the Dead, a modern horror classic, now has a wonderful ultimate edition. Other than as Brother James puts it, "unless they release the bootleg version with everything in it, axe into the TV top and all, this is EVERYTHING", THIS is the definitive version. US, Euro, EXTRA SPECIAL EDITION, Making of DOCUMENTARY, new interviews, commentary by most everyone involved, comic book, great Chapter guide/DVD booklet, GREAT packaging.
If this can be done on ANCHOR BAY to a horror film, what in GOD's name is Lucas doing to the world at large.
Indiana Jones is a nice DVD Box to have, however, I find the lack of commentary and extras very dissappointing.
Star Wars OTC should have been a 12 disc set.
That's right, fool, a 12 disc set.
3 DVD Boxes, one for each movie.
Original Theatrical version(not really, of course EPISODE 4 was added into the run, but I'll ignore that), 1997 Special Edition, 2004 As Lucas sees it now cut, and a nice Episode 1 + 2 styled bonus disc with CUT footage, etc, etc.
IF the rumors of the Ultra DVD in 2007 are true and a possible Ulimate Edition with PhotoRealisitic this and that in 2017, then we are merely being milked like penned cattle.
At least Peter Jackson double dips in the same year and it's actually worth it.

So, I wait for the horror of actually witnessing the changes to ESB and ROTJ.
But, I'm warning the neighbors, if Jar Jar dances in ROTJ, the whole box will get set on fire...:crazed: