PDA

View Full Version : How does the Unleashed line stack up?

JediTricks
08-30-2004, 09:38 PM
When the Unleashed line was first announced, a lot of collectors equated it to the failed Epic Force line and predicted an early demise, yet 2 years later the line is still hanging in there with over 20 entries spanning the entire Star Wars saga. The statue-based Hasbro line has even spawned its own section here in the SSG forums: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/forumdisplay.php?f=269

With the 10th wave hitting stores now, it seems a perfect time to gauge the collectors' interest in the line. So this week's new poll asks what do you think of the Unleashed line? Vote now and voice your opinion.

Rocketboy
08-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I love 'em for the most part.
Some of them get screwed up (terrified looking Chewie) or the pick bad characters (Aayla Secura and Aurra Sing), or they just turn out bad (Luke Jedi, Yoda, Maul).
But when they get a good one, they really get a good one, like Boba Fett, Vader, Tusken Raider, Bossk, Han, & Mace for example.

One problem is that they are pretty tough to find, especially when we get a big pegwarmer like Jango, Luke Jedi, & Han (for some reason) and we can't find the ones we really want.
I think I saw Vader, Mace, and Dooku one time each and I still haven't seen a Clonetrooper.

Kidhuman
08-30-2004, 10:33 PM
I think they are good, but not great. I dont buy them, but wish I would have seen them more than I had. I saw the first wave, got Jango and Boba, but never saw another one until the repacks. If I had seen them more, I probably would have bought them all.

Ji'dai
08-30-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't collect this line but I think they are pretty impressive overall; good but not great. I wish Hasbro would apply the same level of detail and design that goes into the Unleashed line into the 12" one.

Reefer Shark
08-31-2004, 01:02 AM
I voted unleashed is fantastic. Personally I think that it's the most impressive SW line that Hasbro is doing these days.

I have 'em all, and am happy with each and every one (even ballerina Maul).

Deoxyribonucleic
08-31-2004, 03:26 AM
THEY'RRRRRE GRRRRRREAT!

Knightfall
08-31-2004, 06:18 AM
I really don't like them all that much. If they were super-articulated wonders of engineering a la Marvel Legends instead of little statues, I'd probably find them more interesting, but alas...

OC47150
08-31-2004, 08:21 AM
I've just got into collecting the Unleashed in the last few months. I thoroughly enjoy them but question some of the characters made. I think more core characters (ANH Obi-Wan) needed to be produced first than some of the minor ones (Bossk) we've seen.

I will continue to buy the ones I do like.

mastermatt24
08-31-2004, 11:58 AM
I wouldve voted fantastic but.. Hasbro has a tiny little problem about distribution and if I do happen to find new ones that I like I get them. Dont get me wrong- I really do like them, but I just cant find them... :cry:

thomasandrea-call
08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
First off I want to say that I do not collect the Unleashed figures, as I had statede in another poll I have over 600 loose 3 3/4 figures and my space to disply them is limited. I think that the recent unleased figures including the Aayla wave are remarkable. For that reason I might have to consider picking on of those up. I think that the packaging on the unleashed figures on the lateset few is also appealing. For those collectors that think that Hasbro is getting out of touch with the collectors all they need to do is take a look at some of the things that are putting out. Case in point is the new Pablo Jill and Sly Moore figures I have these figures and they are cool Look at the new Padme and Rabe that are also being released, I cant wait to see the packing of the III movie as well as the figures from that movie.

In sort I voted that the unleashed line is great and to say that hasbro should keep it up in regards to that line.

If I had a dollar for everytime my father told me he loved me I would..................Well who needs money anyway
haha
Brad

El Chuxter
08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Where's the "Sliced bread? Feh! Unleashed is better than sliced bread!!" choice? :D

decadentdave
08-31-2004, 02:17 PM
quote: "If they were super-articulated wonders of engineering a la Marvel Legends instead of little statues, I'd probably find them more interesting"

You have to remember that the Unleashed are not, nor were they ever, intended to be super-articulated action figures. They are super-exagerrated dynamic figurines of our favorite characters in dramatically exciting poses. If it is super-articulated action figures you want, then maybe Hasbro should develop a new line of larger scale articulated action figures and call it Star Wars Legends or something. Unleashed is in a league of its own and makes it a unique signature of the Hasbro brand. It has the detail of the McFarlane sculpting but it is not an imitation. I think the Unleashed line is fantastic and has breathed new life into Star Wars collecting and they are superior to the defunct Epic Force in every way. Occasionally we get a few poor sculpts like the boring X-Wing Luke and the bad-hair-day Chewbacca but then we get the Bossk/Aayla Secura/Tusken Raider wave which is awesome and shows us what this line is really all about. Long live Unleashed!

decadentdave
08-31-2004, 02:28 PM
quote: "I think more core characters (ANH Obi-Wan) needed to be produced first than some of the minor ones (Bossk)"

Bossk is my favorite! But I see your point. However, I get tired of getting someone like Luke over and over again but I would like to see a Hoth Han wielding Luke's lightsaber for instance. It is nice to see more interesting characters and aliens get Unleashed. I am very happy that they are doing a new Bounty Hunter with each consecutive wave. I can't wait for IG-88 and hope we get Dengar and Zuckuss. Heck, even 4-LOM would be cool!

TreeNinja61992
08-31-2004, 06:04 PM
I think they are great but I am focused on getting the 3-4 inch figures.
Maybe when the Trilogy ends and they not likely release the last wave of the action figures I will get them and go back to getting the special stuff.
But right now its on hold.

Hellboy
08-31-2004, 08:25 PM
I voted fantastic. No they're not all perfect but this line is a nice alternative to the standard action figure and a huge step up from the Epic Force line. Here are some of the pros and cons as far as I'm concerned.

Pros:
- Price point: $15 a piece is a bargain, especially when compared to similar products like the Kotobukiya statues that go for around $100 each.

- Character selection: All areas of the SW universe are represented here PT, OT and EU.

- Detail: The attention to detail is great making it an affordable showcase piece for the collector on a budget.

Cons:
- Sagging weapons: not all of these statues have this problem but most notable are Maul's saber and the Clone Trooper's rifle.

- Distribution: up until recently this line was all but impossible to find at retail. Target got burned on the first wave and they're just now starting to carry the line again. This meant TRU was the best place for most of us to obtain these and we all know how often they stock new toys. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
09-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Ah, well... what an amazing coincidence!!! It just so happens that I recently bought my first (and so far only) Unleashed figure. :)

I voted "It's good, but not great."

For the most part, and I've said it in the past, I really have thought that the whole "unleashed" idea was kind of silly. Not the scale, quality or even the style (basically they're little statues) but mostly, to me, it's the whole unleashed vibe and how it applies to every character.

A wild eyed and "extreme" Yoda just seems wrong. Same goes for Mace and the Jedi Luke, I never imagined these characters being "unleashed" -- but that's just me. The removable mask Vader seemed odd and off character also, not to mention the bazooms on the Padme figure -- I suppose it's that sort of thing keeping me away from the line. That and the fact that I don't really collect little statues.

But...

...with that said, I did just buy Bossk and I like it quite a bit. The pose fits the character very well I think. The detail and quality are really nice (the paint could be better, but it's still good.) Mostly though, it's a cool looking thing to have sitting around. I suppose they just managed to nail me with this one, and now I have this cool "little statue" looking down at me.

Chances are good that I'll grab IG-88 also. Who'da thunk it? :)

Darth Jax
09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
the unleashed line is great (or as the choice on the poll - fantastic). probably looks even better out of the plastic holding it down, but i wouldn't know since mine are still carded. i've managed to find nearly all that have been released at retail, but i consider myself lucky in that regard.

aceguide
09-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Good not great.

I have made four purchases - Han, Leia, Clone and Boba - and am happy with all of them. I would like to see some more core characters and I would love to see another attempt at Chewie - I was not thrilled with his "bad hair day" pose.

Turbowars
09-04-2004, 01:22 PM
One thing I have to say about this line is I open everyone of them for display. I can't say that for any other line. So I voted Fantastic. You guys that voted low, it's because you don't have them.;)

stillakid
09-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I voted "good, not great" primarily because I haven't been impressed with most of the ones I've seen. But I have picked up Slave Leia, Attack Chewbacca, CloneTroopers (wish they were Biker Scouts), Boba Fett, and the new Tusken Raider. On the whole, the humans they do are pretty weak so I leave those sitting. The Unleashed concept seems to be better suited to aliens and masked characters.

The Unleashed Biker Scout (maybe getting attacked by an Ewok or flying his Speeder Bike) is a must. :D

I wish they'd redo Vader, as he is the coolest character in the saga but his Unleashed version wasn't all that impressive to me. Oh well.