PDA

View Full Version : The Passion DVD

mrmiller
08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
What's up with the Barebones Passion DVD? I thought it would at least have something added. A making of feature or commentary would have been nice. And no Dubbing? I was sure there would be a dubbed track. There is no way my 80 year old grandmother could watch this on her 19" TV and read the subtitles. Thinking that the older crowd would be a big market, an english dubed track would have been nice.

Do any of you video-philes know if antoher release is being planed? I'm sure there would be many interesting things in the "making of" and locations used.

=MATT=

El Chuxter
08-31-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm 99% sure I saw an article a while back about a super-duper loaded version scheduled for Easter 2005.

Beast
08-31-2004, 06:48 PM
The short version: Mel Gibson didn't want any extras to detract from his film, since it's something he did to spread 'The Word'. Which is a spiritual way of saying, let's release it barebones now, and make a ton of cash from the people who spent crazy bucks at the box office to see it numerous times. And then release it again in an SE and rake in a second round of tons of cash from the people who spent crazy bucks at the box office to see it numerous times. Just my cynical opinion of this choice. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-31-2004, 07:00 PM
I think the lesson that needs to be learned is "no matter how much you love a film, never buy the first release as it will be eventually followed up with a proper release."

Jayspawn
08-31-2004, 11:32 PM
The best DVD of the Year: The Star Wars Trilogy!!!

The worst DVD of the Year: The Passion of the Christ! What a rip Mel! I'm holding out for your Director's Edition. The one I hope you have every intention of doing.

2-1B
09-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Well said, Binks. :D

Any chance of an alternate ending on the Director's Cut ? :confused:
I'm kidding, of course. ;)

Meh, I picked this one up because I thought the movie was cool and I'll decide later if I want to re-buy. If the extras are THAT good, I'll pick it up and give this copy to my mom or something . . . or I'll just save the cash and not buy the extras version. Meh.

Bosskman
09-01-2004, 05:08 AM
I got this one last night. Probably won't get the extras version. All I wanted was the movie anyway.

mm74md
09-01-2004, 12:20 PM
I got this one last night. Probably won't get the extras version. All I wanted was the movie anyway.

All I really wanted was an instrumental track only version of the film to go along with the theatrical version. I preordered this cheap from overstock.com so I didn't get mine yet. I did order a copy for my parents too. They have a widescreen tv so they shouldn't have problems seeing the subs (I hope!)

El Chuxter
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
All I really wanted was an instrumental track only version of the film to go along with the theatrical version. I preordered this cheap from overstock.com so I didn't get mine yet. I did order a copy for my parents too. They have a widescreen tv so they shouldn't have problems seeing the subs (I hope!)

It's been so long since I've seen an instrumental-only track. :( This is especially annoying since Lucas used to repeatedly say "These are silent films, and all you need are Williams' scores." I guess that went out the window with Sebastian Shaw. :mad:

Darkness Shroud
09-01-2004, 03:33 PM
I got my copy yesterday and as usual i have to play around with the diferent tracks. I dont know if the uk and us version are the same but you can alter the tracks so you have a voice describing the scene and what they say in english. I'm not sure if that is the track for the hard of hearing. I dont know if thats any use to anyone a guy a few frames above was saying his gran wouldnt be able to read the subtitles, so i dont know if that helps. :)

chrisc
09-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Possibly___

stillakid
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
What I want to know from those who are buying it is: why? I've seen it, but ... I've seen it. I don't see what the appeal of repeated viewings is going to be exactly? Arguably, we (collectively, we) rent and buy movies to watch at home because we find a certain entertainment value in them. You know, heat up some Jiffy Pop, grab a Coke with your honey (significant other) and curl up on the couch for a nice evening of thrills, chills, love, and maybe even some laughs.

mrmiller
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
What I want to know from those who are buying it is: why? I've seen it, but ... I've seen it. I don't see what the appeal of repeated viewings is going to be exactly? Arguably, we (collectively, we) rent and buy movies to watch at home because we find a certain entertainment value in them. You know, heat up some Jiffy Pop, grab a Coke with your honey (significant other) and curl up on the couch for a nice evening of thrills, chills, love, and maybe even some laughs. ....
This can explain part of it:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/entertainment/2004-08-25-our-dvds-ourselves_x.htm

I bet I have about 50 DVD's I've never watched...

And for some it can be inspirational.

=MATT=

stillakid
09-02-2004, 04:16 PM
This can explain part of it:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/entertainment/2004-08-25-our-dvds-ourselves_x.htm

I bet I have about 50 DVD's I've never watched...

And for some it can be inspirational.

=MATT=

You may be right about that. I have this feeling that Passion is just one of those movies that people think they should own...just because.

Imperial Monarche
09-02-2004, 10:28 PM
What I want to know from those who are buying it is: why? I've seen it, but ... I've seen it. I don't see what the appeal of repeated viewings is going to be exactly? Arguably, we (collectively, we) rent and buy movies to watch at home because we find a certain entertainment value in them. You know, heat up some Jiffy Pop, grab a Coke with your honey (significant other) and curl up on the couch for a nice evening of thrills, chills, love, and maybe even some laughs.

But The Passion? :confused:
You know, I agree with you on that, even though the rest you said I don't. The Passion of the Christ is not a movie that you just sit down and watch for entertainment. I didn't even go in the theater to be entertained, but to be enlightened- [edited] this movie really spoke to me emotionally and made me see the events that took place that day in a different way.

Rocketboy
09-02-2004, 11:15 PM

But The Passion? :confused: ...Even though I may not watch them over and over, I tend to buy movies that really I liked and I think are worth owning.
Someday in the future I may really want to watch a movie again. If I don't own it, that means I have to track it down in one way or another, be it at the store, if they have it (or if it's even still in print), or at the video store, where it may not be in or it could be all scratched to hell or the tape is worn out.

2-1B
09-03-2004, 02:05 AM
stillakid, here is why I bought the DVD: :)

1) I love Jim Caviezel and I just think he's a cool actor. The Count of Monte Cristo was awesome and I really loved him in that movie. I've seen several other very average or below average films and still enjoyed them because he was in them. 2 examples: High Crimes and Angel Eyes.

2) What can I say, I love gory films. :D All that talk of how violent it was and then I saw it and thought, yeah it's violent, but it's done pretty well.

3) Satan ! Seriously, what a creepy depiction. I just loved that performance, both from the actress and the voice actor. Oooooh, and when he/she is defeated and the robes fly off ? Awesome visual.

4) Background characters as cool as what I might find in a SW movie - Barabbas and Herod, both goofy yet creepy in their own right.

5) The mother-son angle between Yeshua and Mary. I thought those few scenes (both of flashback and passion-time) were very touching.

Those are my main thoughts for now. I don't really see myself watching this more than once or so per year but I still think it's a cool movie to own. :)

JediTricks
09-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Just to let you folks know, because of the forums policy on religious topics restricted to the Rancor Pit section, I've had to edit this thread's religious comments out. However, I also made an unedited copy of this thread and put it in the Rancor Pit so you can discuss the religious aspects of this DVD in there: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=20298
This thread is for the movie aspects only, hopefully there won't be much of an inconvenience this way.
-JT

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Alright, we kept this open so we could try to have a discussion that wouldn't go political and biggity bam, we're seein' the exact opposite happening. I'm closin' this thread for now due to hte fact and some folks cannot stop going nuts in this thread. All posts between JT's above and this one have been moved to the Rancor Pit version of the thread.