PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Leia's face is slightly off

JediTricks
12-22-2001, 12:01 PM
... to me, of course. ;) My eyes say that from the prototype to the finished version, Hasbro made these changes from the proto to the final version that lowered the fine quality of this figure:
- her eyebrows are now too high
- her eyes are too big and have too much white (this is a pretty common problem with the figures)
- her lips are too red
- her skin has too much blush
- and her skin tone is not pasty enough

That last one seems a bit odd, but the proto looked less red just enough that it looked more realistic to me. I still think this figure is really killer, but they finally got the Leia likeness nigh-perfect and then threw it out the window with their standard "girls wear makeup... lots of makeup" line of thinking.

Jargo
12-22-2001, 06:16 PM
I was thinking something along the same lines. I don't have the figure yet but saw pictures someone posted and couldn't believe it was the same figure that was shown at the conventions. This is happening so often, the sculptis fantastic and the hard copies at hasbro are great. then it starts coming out of the factories and looks so wishy washy and the paint decos are badly applied and the plastics used don't look right. The sculpt is still good but the translation from hard copy to toy is suffering terribly. Surely this is down to quality control? Does hasbro have any? It was the same for X-wing Luke whose teeth were much talked about. It seems like if you want a job doing well you have to do it yourself and repaint your figures once you finally locate them. It must be hell for carded collectors to have to look at these substandard offerings and not be able to retouch them.... :crazed:

AmanaMatt
12-22-2001, 07:06 PM
I tend to agree; however, I found the difference in paint deco varied slightly from fig to fig...still one hulluva improvement over the original

Jayspawn
12-22-2001, 11:35 PM
I agree. But I do like this new version better than the 1st. It's still a cool figure.

bigbarada
12-23-2001, 12:14 AM
It depends on where you buy it also. My brother got one from Brian's Toys which had all the facial problems JT mentioned and the one I spotted in El Paso before I left had a hideous paint job. However, the ones I've seen here in Alamogordo, NM have been overall pretty descent. I've only seen one so far that has a really nice paint job on her face. Although I still passed on her for Amanaman.:)

JediTricks
12-23-2001, 07:55 AM
Like I said, I dig the figure, don't get me wrong there. It's just weird to me that the proto really seemed nearly perfect, but the final version fell short. I would love for Hasbro to explain how this happens.

Rollo Tomassi
12-23-2001, 11:27 AM
It's all those little factory workers over their who think American women have big round eyes and wear too much makeup. :eek:

evenflow
12-23-2001, 11:54 AM
I agree that some changes were made, too bad because the prototype was nicer.

JediTricks
12-23-2001, 11:47 PM
Rollo... ouch! :eek:

I thought Hasbro had painted samples of everything photographed and/or sent back to their Rhode Island facilities to make sure everything was right... but I can't imagine anybody who's not colorblind thinking these 2 look that similar.

Obi-Don
12-24-2001, 07:13 AM
I have noticed the change to.I haven't as yet to find one but the pictures I have seen are different.From what i have read.I will have to look at this one before I buy.

Darth Rage
12-30-2001, 02:50 AM
I liked the leia in those two packs with han, luke and wicket, she looked real...

haven't seen the newest leia yet...

ThomasLane
12-30-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Darth Rage
I liked the leia in those two packs with han, luke and wicket, she looked real...

haven't seen the newest leia yet...

Really? Mine all looked like their faces had been shot with Homer Simspson's makeup gun.