PDA

View Full Version : RotS line could go on a loooooong time....

Gonk 1979
09-03-2004, 05:30 PM
.....from all reports, EP3 is going to be the most encompassing and epic of all the films (though this doesn't translate to quality - ESB is the best SW film and it's probably the most personal and least epic of them all). Pablo on Hyperspace confirms NINE planets for EP3.....can you imagine how many figs this could translate to??? Not to mention the army builders of clones, wookies, etc. Nine planets worth of figs, man. And this being the last SW movie, what else is Hasbro going to move on to? They just did the OTC, and with no new movie what are they going to make figs for?? I suspect that they will push ROTS line until SW collecting is virtually dead - sure, it might be like Saga where they sprinkle in some other movies, but I'm thinking Hasbro will milk this line for atleast 200 figs and two to three years. After that, Hasbro will probably make an announcement that they are cutting back SW production, and slowly each year we will get less and less figures until it's cancelled indefinately. Imagine the craze amongst collectors when only 7-8 new figs are released every year....those will be some hard to find figs.

But anyway, that's how I think it'll go. ROTS I feel will rank up their with POTF2 in the amount of figs for a single line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, I bet that after a while the ROTS line will be unified with the other movies in the saga, similar to how it worked with POTJ and Saga. I bet the actual ROTS line on the cards we've seen will only last two or three years, but we'll continue to get figures form every movie.

SPOILER ALERT

I don't think that a lot of time will be spent on each new planet, just a few. At the beginning, there will be some scenes to show the Clone Wars encompassing the whole galaxy. Here's a list of planets I know of:
Kashyyyk
Naboo
Tatooine
Coruscant
Alderaan (maybe?)
Uttapu
weird planet - Aayla Secura fights on
So there's still a few more . . . I wonder what they are?

Gonk 1979
09-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Well, I bet that after a while the ROTS line will be unified with the other movies in the saga, similar to how it worked with POTJ and Saga. I bet the actual ROTS line on the cards we've seen will only last two or three years, but we'll continue to get figures form every movie.

SPOILER ALERT

I don't think that a lot of time will be spent on each new planet, just a few. At the beginning, there will be some scenes to show the Clone Wars encompassing the whole galaxy. Here's a list of planets I know of:
Kashyyyk
Naboo
Tatooine
Coruscant
Alderaan (maybe?)
Uttapu
weird planet - Aayla Secura fights on
So there's still a few more . . . I wonder what they are?

SPOILER

Well, I know that Kashyyyk will get a lot of screen time, and so will Uttapu, and Alderaan is confirmed and so is Yavin. Then there's the "windy" planet, though I don't know what it's called. The absolute craziest spoiler I've heard is a sequence with Yoda and Chewie on Kashyyyk where when the two are caught Yoda smears himself with mud, jumps onto Chewies shoulder, and acts insane and pretends to be his pet (and this includes "farting", another staple of the prequels). I could go on and on about the spoilers so far, but I won't, though the coolest rumbling I've heard is that there is a scene between Mace and Obi, where they converse in a massive Republic Gunship hangar on Yavin. That's going to rock

Kidhuman
09-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Please no spoilers in the threads. I start reading the posts and BAM, spoilers in 2 of 3 posts.

Ji'dai
09-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't think Hasbro will continue the line that long after Episode III. It really depends on retail sales after the film is released. We'll get a ton product in May initially and I'm sure retail sales will be positive at first, but will the numbers last through the summer?

Even if Ep III is well-received it won't guarantee future interest in the toys. If the largest demographic group for the toys - children - move on to the next big blockbuster's merchandise in June or July, then retailers will get stuck with a lot of product (like AOTC, Hulk, & Spidey 2 pegwarmers) and may not order more. Adult collectors can't support the line by ourselves; and with no future movie releases to sustain interest retailers may have doubts about future sales. Will the line continue to enjoy longevity past Episode III? Will Hasbro and its vendors continue to risk investing in it? <shrugs>

Though I could see Hasbro possibly downsizing the line after 2005. Maybe releasing a small number of super-articulated figures based on main characters like the VOTC.

ronhudy
09-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Please no spoilers in the threads. I start reading the posts and BAM, spoilers in 2 of 3 posts.

Ummmm.....that's why they wrote "SPOILER" in their threads. See, you're not supposed to read past that if you don't want to see the spoiler...kind of like a road sign. If it says "BRIDGE OUT", you probably don't want to keep driving in that direction... :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Ummmm.....that's why they wrote "SPOILER" in their threads. See, you're not supposed to read past that if you don't want to see the spoiler...kind of like a road sign. If it says "BRIDGE OUT", you probably don't want to keep driving in that direction... :crazed:
Lol, yeah.

SPOILERS - That means stop reading, some of you!

Yoda riding on Chewbacca and farting would be so stupid! I honestly doubt that will happen. That would totally ruin Yoda's dignity, Chewbacca's too.

Yavin? Hmm, that would be cool to see. There's also a planet where Ki-Adi-Mundi fights, but it might be the one with Aayla Secura, they fought together in the Clone Wars cartoon so maybe they will in the film too?

X13VADER
09-04-2004, 03:54 PM
if they make them i will buy them. i think that they can make them for years. i dont care if they are rots or saga or potf. i want figures not gimics.

InsaneJediGirl
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
It could last for a while.Hasbro/LFL will probably try to milk it for all its worth.Probably go in strong for ROTS,hoping to cash in on collectors and those people who think that buying the stuff now and waiting 10+ years will pay off.Much like for Episode I and we saw how well that worked :D

stillakid
09-04-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't know about this. As I've said before, I think that Hasbro has really only been able to capitalize on the license because of the promise (or threat ;) ) of new movies coming out every three years. So we got old trilogy figures until TPM came out. Then we were pummeled with Episode I merchandise until that died down and "we" (collectors) were the only ones left buying. Then of course, as AOTC ramped up, we got pummeled with Episode II product. Now as that has died down, we get back to OT stuff for awhile. I imagine we'll see a similar pattern during ROTS, except that once the kiddies with short attention spans stop buying ROTS figures, it'll just be us again with no hope for a return of the impressionable ones. So Hasbro may finish out the last of the OT stuff and maybe make an attempt at revisiting TPM and AOTC unfinished business, but by that time (say, around mid-2007 or so), the collectors will drop off steadily making it not worth Hasbro's effort anymore. Lucas will have released SuperNifty Saga DVD Collection Version 4.0 by that time and there won't be any other significant waves for the toys to ride on. Maybe a couple cartoons (ala Clone Wars) here and there, but since Lucas failed to really capture the new generation the way he did us, as we grow older, Hasbro will be less inclined to make toys for 40 and 50 year olds. I just don't see it happening. But who knows, I could be wrong. Only time will tell. :)

Kidhuman
09-05-2004, 08:09 AM
If you want to put spoilers put it in the EP3 section for spoilers. THats why the section was made.

Gonk 1979
09-05-2004, 04:56 PM
If you want to put spoilers put it in the EP3 section for spoilers. THats why the section was made.

well, you DO have to agree with the other posters - when you see "spoiler", that means IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED STOP READING! This is an Episode 3 toy forum, and being that Episode 3 has yet to come out you have to expect spoilers. I know there is a spoiler forum, but when you are talking about the possibility of EP3 toys you're going to see possible spoilers. What the heck else would there be to talk about? If we couldn't speculate on EP3 then all we would be left with is threads like "Wow, EP3 toys are going to be cool!" And it's not like we didn't warn you- if you read the spoiler warning why did you keep reading? I'll say this like I've told everyone else - if you don't want to be spoiled for EP3 stay out of EP3 FORUMS!!! that's like walking into a burning building and whining that you got burned!

Kidhuman
09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
ANd this forum is not entitled spoilers, so therefore it should have none. If you want to discuss the possibility of spoilers take it to the appropiate section.

Dark Marble
09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I believe that figures on the ROTS card will go for about a year or so and the card will change again so that all the movies can be represented. There is no need to run the line on one movie when there are plenty of figures in all six movies to captalize on. There are many characters and vehicles we have yet to see. It will be interesting to see what happens to the line with no more movies on the horizon. :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2004, 05:15 PM
I believe that figures on the ROTS card will go for about a year or so and the card will change again so that all the movies can be represented. There is no need to run the line on one movie when there are plenty of figures in all six movies to captalize on. There are many characters and vehicles we have yet to see. It will be interesting to see what happens to the line with no more movies on the horizon. :confused:
We'll start getting good figures again. ;)

I bet, that the quality of the ROTS figures will be bad at first, then slowly get better. History has a way of repeating itself (look at Episode I/POTJ and Saga). I expect the collectors will take over, so we'll be able to get more new figures each year instead on millions of Lukes and Hans each month. More and more items will become exclusives, especially to the Fan Club, as stores won't want to carry SW stuff any more. That will mean that although we won't be able to go to stores as much, we'll get a lot of cool new stuff (Cloud Car, playsets, etc.). George Lucas may try for a 30th or 40th anniversary DVD release with more features and more versions, and Hasbro will rerelease more crap like they are this year. I bet the number of things we get will slowly decrease each year, until no one wants anything anymore. :cry:

But that's a long way off.

Vortex
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
My prediction is this obsession and hobby we call "collecting" or hoarding will come to another abrupt hault in 2006.

After working at TRU during the green card phase, and just hunting from store to store for too many years, I've noticed that no matter how hard we wish, how many dear hasbro letters we write, what rumors we hear on line, the powers that be that order toys months in advance for the various chains and stores are the ones that make or break lines.

Between Ep. I and II there were many months where 90% of the stores here in MN no longer carried or stocked star wars figures. Even this year and last, I never seen anything new or even areas for star wars until exclusives showed up or the OTC and VOTC started to show up, and even then the space was small and it was old garbage peg warmers.

It's the philosophy of out of sight out of mind. If there's no movie to sell the toys, the buyers for target, TRU etc. will pre-order fewer cases or no cases at all since star wars is a dog at retail after the movies go away, and a huge dog when it comes to moving old stale merchandise. Even look at some of the on-line vendors. Old peg warmers and non-popular figs going for $1 or $3. Even they can't move it and they have a specific audience and market.

Hasbro is reluctant to produce playsets and ships for us, and look how exclusives are turning into a kiss of death. The sandcrawler was an unwanted step child for how long before Diamond picked it up? How many hands did it pass through? Heck even look how jaded we've become...hate the action gimics, didn't buy it since I wanted it to look a certain way, not realistic enough, don't like the paint job, not the right scale, too expensive, EU rots or doesn't, etc. etc. etc. We've become picky and are shooting ourselves in the foot at the same time. We want all this stuff, but then turn our nose up when Hasbro finally does something about it.

The toys are on a down hill slide, if TRU does get out the game, our outlets gets smaller and smaller to buy toys from and there goes a whole buch of buyers, and on-line vendors can only do so much. Between our forum group and the others on various boards, and keeping in mind many of us belong to 2-3+ sites, our die hard group is a small one. A few thousand of us strong isn't going to cut it with bean counters at stores or the bean counters at Hasbro.

Scalpers were good at moving stock off the shelf, but after a couple of days or weeks when they couldn't turn a buck or two off of us at shows or on line the toys went back. The sales #'s looked good, until the returns came in and stock was counted. Star Wars came off like a lame duck. Look how hard it was/is/has been to find specific figures in non movie years.

I don't think on-line retailers can save the sinking ship, and I don't think Hasbro will keep throwing us, as collectors, bones, to keep us interested. The bigger the better the figs, the more $ it costs them, and us, and like I said before we are jaded and would probably scream bloody murder if a fig cost 15 - 10 bucks and average mom isn't going to shell that out either, my mom definitly wouldn't if I was a kid. People around here were up in arms when the VOTC was announced at 10 bucks. The Star Wars line is about to start its death throws.

Some might say, what about the cartoon, or possibility of TV shows. Well again small select market, and I only seen the cartoonish figs once at a Target. Its all about declining return on their money, when does production, design and shipping cost more than what they take in with sales...I'm guessing those two numbers are getting closer every year. Every year we loose collectors due to money, space, bordem, or whatever, and yet we pick up a few, but I'd guess we're loosing more than we're gaining back in ranks.

I'm saying the line is done early in 06.

stillakid
09-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm saying the line is done early in 06.

Should we ante up now? ;) I say mid '07. Who else is in? :greedy:

Turbowars
09-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I say 2018, baby!!

Bring it on Hasbro!!

Oh and Lucas keep the films going so we can get all our OT figures.

Dark Marble
09-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Scary thought. I guess the only hope that I would have is that whenever the line ends, we can get a hold of the last waves as cheaply and easily as possible. That is always my greatest fear about the end of Star Wars toys. The "what is it going to take to get the last figures once they are shipped out and forgotten?" How much is an on-line store going to charge us for the last figures if on-line is the only place to shop?

And it is true that some of the last new vehicles we might see will be in the ROTS line. Getting a new vehicle out of Hasbro in any capacity is impossible. In fact, what was the last large scale vehicle distributed that wasn't based of an old mold? The Gunship, Amidala's ship? I don't know about you but I am still hoping for a few more ships from Hasbro before the line is finished. But honestly I am jaded. I am not going to spend $100+ on one vehicle. I loved the queen's ship from Ep I...for $50 and that was the maximum I was willing to pay. $100 for the shuttle, outrageous.

As a collector of Star Wars figures and vehicles I just want to say I love the hobby. I love what I have with no complaints and look forward to new product. But I worry about what we will and won't get when the end comes. How much longer? I would say past 2006, perhaps about 5 years max past the DVD release of ROTS. After the dvd has come and gone we are on our own to carry the line.

Kidhuman
09-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I say 2010.

jedi master sal
09-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I agree with Stilla. Mid '07

Just look at what's happened with the last two movies. Two years go by and while we as collectors are still interested, that's just not enough. Retailers took a big hit with SW. They (retailers) can't strong arm Hasbro into being able to order specific cases and I dare they the retailers couldn't care less anyway.

They hear the few collectors Bch and moan about not being able to find new toys. Meanwhile, they laugh behind our backs at seeing grown men (and some women) buy toys for themselves. Sure they'll take our money but don't expect any sympathy.

We collectors alone can't sustain the line, even though I'm certain that we account for a great percentage of sales.

Once the last movie is out, the SW toy line will face a steady decline and an, all too soon for us, untimely death. Not because there isn't a market, but because that market isn't large enough for profits.

To be very honest, I a;most can't wait for that day. While I love SW, collectin is nowhere near as fun as it was for me before the prequels. I look forward to finally saving some cash. Besides, my plan for SW after the toys is huge dioramas. (I'm looking forward to building my version of the Battle of Geonosis. With over 250 clones to populate the scene it will look great.)

Anyway, back to the original topic.
The ROTS line will have a good run for the first year, taper off the following 6 months afterwards and we'll get a smattering of various figs from the rest of the movies.

Just my opinion, but the trends are there to help back it up.

-Sal

Kyle Katarn
09-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I think this of collecting will probably not end, I think that maybe we can be kucky and see a gold aniversary figure. I think after all this of making figures of the films we will see figures of all the big bunch of novels, comics and videogames so this will go very long al least until 2020,anyways its just my opinion.

TreeNinja61992
09-19-2004, 10:07 AM
SPOILER

Well, I know that Kashyyyk will get a lot of screen time, and so will Uttapu, and Alderaan is confirmed and so is Yavin. Then there's the "windy" planet, though I don't know what it's called. The absolute craziest spoiler I've heard is a sequence with Yoda and Chewie on Kashyyyk where when the two are caught Yoda smears himself with mud, jumps onto Chewies shoulder, and acts insane and pretends to be his pet (and this includes "farting", another staple of the prequels). I could go on and on about the spoilers so far, but I won't, though the coolest rumbling I've heard is that there is a scene between Mace and Obi, where they converse in a massive Republic Gunship hangar on Yavin. That's going to rock

Spoiler

I too have heard about the Wookies cry for help and Yoda and some troopers go to help them, I heard Yoda does meet Chewbacca but I never heard about the pet part and if it happens I will probably cry for the sake of George Lucas.

And if we say their is spoilers don't read them if you dont want them.

Death Star Gimp
09-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I think we will be gladly swamped with ROTS product for at least 12 months and then they may change the line to a more generic line to include figures from all 6 six films and I think that will last only 1-2 years max.

I find it interesting that AOTC was served by the generic Saga line but have reverted to a single line for ROTS which would suggest that there will be no OT or TPM/AOTC figures for some time or that some other line will run along side ROTS. I personally don't think we'll see OT stuff for at least 12 months post ROTS. I do believe there will be lots of characters in ROTS and that equals loads of figures.

My head says that the line will come to a complete end by mid 2007 but then POTF2 ran from 1995 to 1999 without a new film, Hasbro marketing people must have thought someone out there would buy them.

We must be patient!

Slicker
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I personally hope the Star Wars figure line doesn't make it too far into 2006 or 2007 so that I can concentrate on buying the couple of toys that have just warranted to much of my attention to spend large amounts of money on (i.e. FAO Faamba, Imperial Shuttle, and the Queen's Royal Starship) and it may even give me a chance to buy some of the real vintage figures. It's not that I don't love the figures but I could use a couple of years off so that I can consolidate my collection.

Kidhuman
09-24-2004, 07:47 PM
I personally hope the Star Wars figure line doesn't make it too far into 2006 or 2007 so that I can concentrate on buying the couple of toys that have just warranted to much of my attention to spend large amounts of money on (i.e. FAO Faamba, Imperial Shuttle, and the Queen's Royal Starship) and it may even give me a chance to buy some of the real vintage figures. It's not that I don't love the figures but I could use a couple of years off so that I can consolidate my collection.

I feel the same way at times Slicker. BUt on the other hand, I want the background characters released as well, so its a win win situation for me. If they keep making the rehashes and reissues, I would just take the money from there and but the stuff you want instead of getting the same stuff over and over.

Slicker
09-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Don't get me wrong I love background and secondary characters but I think with commerative releases such as this it should be the main characters that come in the packaging because they are the most recognizable to people. The one example that I can think of is the 300th figure being Boba Fett the figure and the sculpt are still one of my top 3 favorites but with what I think is a monumental release (hell most toy lines don't even get 20-30 figures released) I thought that it should've been a Vader or Leia since the 100th 12" figure was fittingly Luke Skywalker.

Keep bringing out the background characters because it makes for an interesting collection but release the main characters when it calls for it.