PDA

View Full Version : They went to Central America for THAT?!?

JediTricks
09-04-2004, 02:12 AM
In the ANH end credits, it's always weirded me out that it they went and filmed in "Tikal National Park, Guatemala". What in Central America could possibly have been SO important that they had to go and film it there instead of Mexico or even Hollywood or England? I mean, there's only 3 or 4 small, insignificant shots of Yavin IV that were shot there, seems like such a waste of money and time to go down to Guatemala for that, especially on such a tight budget. What was the point? What did they really gain?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2004, 11:29 AM
What in Central America could possibly have been SO important that they had to go and film it there instead of Mexico or even Hollywood or England? I mean, there's only 3 or 4 small, insignificant shots of Yavin IV that were shot there, seems like such a waste of money and time to go down to Guatemala for that, especially on such a tight budget. What was the point? What did they really gain?
JT, you fool! You missed the key moment in the entire run of SW films: when the Rebel scout on the tall look-out is seen, it sums up the entire story. :p

Also, they wanted to film on all 4 continents in the world: Europe, Africa, North America, and Central America. No other film in history had ever shot scenes on all four of them. :rolleyes:

And, the cantina scene was filmed in an actual jungle bar to get the odd characters; you know that the jungles of the equatorial region hold unusual species... :eek:

Seriously, their frequent flyer miles were going to expire, and with all the black-out dates, Guatemala was the only choice. :ermm: (OK, I still can't be serious... )

JediTricks
09-05-2004, 09:37 PM
For a second, I thought your comment about "all 4 continents of the world" was serious. :D

stillakid
09-06-2004, 02:37 AM
If you had the choice to go wherever you wanted, wouldn't you? ;) Really, a lot of the time, locations are chosen because A) somebody important wants to spend time there, or B) the Location Manager either likes it there or has friends or connections. When it comes down to it, you could film a jungle scene in a hundred different parts of the globe with pretty much the same result. Spielberg was quoted as saying that he thought about doing Jurassic Park somewhere in South America (or Central), but at his age, it was going to be too much work so he settled on Hawaii. Much of the ocean sequence in Pirates of the Caribbean was shot on an island which allowed English crews to work (at the expense of American workers) because the Location Manager had friends in England. And of course, all the recent films fleeing to Prague, Vancouver, Australia, and New Zealand could easily be done in the States but the Producers claim that they can save money elsewhere.

So choice of location all too frequently has little to do with the best place to shoot and more to do with politics or the whims of a few rich guys. :greedy:

JediTricks
09-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but ANH was a very tight budget, why would they run all the way down there just to shoot a few brief, unimportant shots? This isn't a matter of going wherever they want, they were on a shoestring budget and much of the money was already disappearing down the Special Effects pit without even having 1 of their shots completed, it had to be fairly costly to take a crew and actors down to this foreign country that is nowhere near any of the 3 main filming locations.

UPDATE - just double-checked, this was my 10,000th post! :D

Darth Alex
09-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Lucas filmed there so he can add "digital" jungle to ANH...