PDA

View Full Version : 2004 College Football

Exhaust Port
09-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Once again the wonderful world of college football is upon us. I'm happy to report that Ohio State won it's opener and even showed some signs of talent from Zwick at QB.

This was the first game with the new Instant Replay which will be a godsend this year. It wasn't used but I'm glad that they came to their senses and gave it to us.

What happened with LSU?!?! Me thinks that they are ranked a bit too high this year, perhaps we'll see an adjustment this next week. Of course the BCS has been revamped once again so who knows how well it will work this time around.

Even though none won any big games the teams from the MAC really gave a few of the big schools a real workout. OU even appeared to be threatened with a loss at the hands of BGSU. Now that would have been an upset.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I, too, was pleased with OSU's performance. We'll see how well Pitt handles the loss of Larry Fitzgerald (and wasn't QB Rutledge a senior last year?) and the leaving of most of the old Big East powerhouses. I have no idea what I-AA Youngstown State is up to, so I of course expect a deep run in the playoffs for them! And, go Chaffey Community College (1-0 so far, all on the road even) !

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
AWW yeah, Fall when the smell of Buffalo wings is in the air and it's possible to have Football 5 days in a row Thurs-Mon(college and Pro's). But alas my poor Orangemen were bi-otchslapped by the Boilermakers! I doubt anyone here thought the outcome was a shocker, but I figured we'd atleast score! But, this new kid, true freshman QB Joe Feilds looks to have a lot of promise! If he stays healthy and Coach Pasqualoni doesn't do the QB flip flop like years previous I think this kid could be a heisman canidate! You heard it, remember in 3-4 years Joe Fields, QB, SU, Heisman Trophy! Hey, it's all we SU fans can look forward to! How can you get excited when you have University of Buffalo, and Uconn(football team remember not basketball) on your schedule! Yeah we just got thumped by Purdue, and we also play Florida St this year, but most likely we'll even get beat by Rutgers this year! :rolleyes: 3-4 years, Joe Fields, QB, SU, Heisman Trophy! :nerv: :crazed:

Arrogant Arse
09-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Saturday, September 4, 2004: The second greatest day of this year. (#1-Birth of my son) Why, because it was the start of College Football!!! There were some good games, some bad games, (Purdue/Syracuse{sorry 'Xir}) Some teams that should have won, and some teams that should have lost (LSU), and TONS of College Cheerleaders(best part)/fight songs/Drunk frat boys. All these make college football the best sport going. When else can you park yourself in front of a TV and watch games continously from 11:00am to 2:00am?

LSU Should have dropped farther than from 3 to 6. They really should have lost that game. They looked BAD.

Well, just waiting for the first BCS ranking to come out

AA

Exhaust Port
09-07-2004, 06:11 PM
I agree, LSU should be lower in my opinion. The other teams played great.

Exhaust Port
09-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Quite a game between Miami and FSU tonight. I really thought that Miami was done for by the beginning of the 4th quarter. Both teams were awful on offense but the final drive by Miami was very nice which threw it into overtime.

It's nice to see some top 10 play this early in the season as it thins out the post season contenders early. Of course it seems that early losses are sometimes forgotten by December when it comes to rankings especially if you are from Florida. :)

This was one of those games that I couldn't go wrong by watching. No matter who lost I was happy. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Well, Pitt wins (yay! even if it's over an Ohio school), and Ohio St. makes it interesting (yay! from 55 yards out). I'll have to do some searching to check on Chaffey and Youngstown St.

A few upsets today... Nebraska (at home? to Southern Miss?!? :confused: ), Kansas St. (better schedule some "cupcakes," Mr. Snyder), Notre Dame (helps out OSU :D ).

Exhaust Port
09-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Mike Nugent is my hero for that 55 yarder. Marshall has always been a tough team but I was still suprised how well they played.

#3 Georgia barely won as well as #8 Texas and #9 OSU. #6 Florida State, #7 Michigan, #17 Missouri, #18 Clemson, #25 Oregon all lost.

There should be quite a shake up in the polls this week. I wonder how much those close wins will effect Georgia, Texas and OSU.

kool-aid killer
09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Im a little late in jumping into this thread but so far my squad (Nebraska Cornhuskers) are 1-1 this year. They won their first game against Western Illinois (a division 2 team) and lost last week to Southern Miss. Southern Miss. was able to capitialize on four Husker turnovers which made all the difference in the game. Miss. was only able to move on the Blackshirts once and all they got out of that was a field goal. But due to getting the ball in good territory they were able to score a few field goals once the Blackshirts held their ground. Disappointing because they shouldnt have lost that game (even though Miss. is a good program) but the fans here seem to be understanding, i cant imagine what Frankie would have faced had he dropped one like this. Dont be suprised if we lose a few more like this though, with the new offense still being pounded in and a very unexperienced and antsy quarterback (eight turnovers, seven of them interceptions in only two games!) this could be a subpar season. But im optimistic that the boat will get righted soon and Nebraska will return to being among the elite of college football.

Exhaust Port
09-15-2004, 04:20 PM
It sure sucks to lose due to turnovers though.

The rankings luckily weren't that much of a suprise this week. It's still early in the season so let's keep our fingers crossed when the first BCS rankings come out that we aren't disappointed again.

kool-aid killer
09-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Huskers beat Pitt today 24-17. Should have creamed them but due to an inept offense that couldnt put them away Pitt had a shot at tying it at the end. Good news was that Dailey only threw one interception, but it was a costly one leading to Pitts final touchdown. Second half was a sloppy game by the Huskers, they are going to have to clean up their act if they expect to contend in the Big 12 North.

Exhaust Port
09-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I was really pulling for Pitt. I thought for sure they would be able to drive for a touchdown there at the end and almost came away with one on the final pass. In the 2nd quarter I almost spit my drink when #75 "sacked" his own quarterback. :D

OSU had a pretty decent game on defense but offense was awful. Thank goodness NC State had tons of penalties and turnovers.

JON9000
09-19-2004, 12:33 PM
OSU had a pretty decent game on defense but offense was awful. Thank goodness NC State had tons of penalties and turnovers.

The NCSU defense is the real deal, so don't assume OSU was just playing poorly. I give OSU's D credit. They pressured my new QB into making some awful throws that turned into picks, and OSU completely dominated special teams. :cry: :mad:

The penalties frustrated the heck out of me, because they show a lack of discipline. :stupid: While I think NCSU is getting right up there in talent, we need the discipline OSU has to really turn the corner.

Exhaust Port
09-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I agree, the NC State defense was brutal especially in the first half. Very frustrating.

I watched the Tennesse/Florida game last night. Man what an ending, reminded me a lot of the OSU game last weekend. I was really pulling for TN (due to my hatred of all football from FL) and was almost sickened by watching the Tennesse kicker miss that extra point. Ugh, what an awful feeling. At lease he made up for it by crushing that 50 yard FG to win the game.

kool-aid killer
09-19-2004, 03:04 PM
In the 2nd quarter I almost spit my drink when #75 "sacked" his own quarterback. :D

LOL. Yeah i chuckled at that play too, only to wince because Dailey just ran straight into it. :rolleyes: I believe Big 12 schools went 9-1 yesterday, with Kansas being the lone loser by 3 points. Baylor and Texas didnt play. Next week will be the Huskers week off. Anybody watch Iowa get the ..it slapped out of them? Couldnt help but smile. :D

Kidhuman
09-19-2004, 05:24 PM
That Tennessee game was horrible. Why werent there offsetting penalties?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2004, 06:57 PM
A mixed bag weekend; the Buckeyes win, and so do my Panthers. No, not from Pittsburgh (d'oh! :( ) but Chaffey Community College. The YSU Penguins lose by a few.

Originally posted by kidhuman
Why werent there offsetting penalties?That was bad. The zebra was staring right at both of them.

kool-aid killer
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Well the Huskers beat Kansas 14-8 over the weekend. Poor game, really wasnt worth the $30 pay per view price. Huskers offense dragged along once again, next week against Texas Tech could be ugly. If TT can score three touchdowns on the Blackshirts i can see them winning. KU and NU have played each other 99 years in a row with the Huskers having won the last 36 straight now. But they almost dropped the ball in this one. But the Huskers still have a shot at the Big 12 North title, given that all teams in there arent very strong. Go Huskers!!!

Exhaust Port
10-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Ooh, it was a bad weekend for us OSU fans. Not only did we absolutely suck against Northwestern but Nugent missed a 40 yard FG in overtime. Those 3 points ened up not factoring into the NW win but still, it's tough to see the star of the team miss a short-40 yard FG. With #6 OSU dropping down into the teens there was quite a shake up in the bottom of the Top 10. Quite a weekend.

DarthQuack
10-04-2004, 08:32 PM
I am a huge Notre Dame fan, please hold your laughter til the end.:nerv: And I was brought back down off cloud 9 this weekend seeing the full lack of talent sometimes for this team. Oh well, we aren't used to much success as of late even in 2002 when I KNEW they would lose to BC after defeating Florida St.

Exhaust Port
10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
At least ND lost to a good team. Nothing like failing to hold your own against some bad team.

James Boba Fettfield
10-05-2004, 05:13 AM
As so many here at Ohio State eloquently put it after that loss: F*** Northwestern. :)

Really, it was the only response we had to the "How you like that, Columbus!" remark made at the end of the game.

Exhaust Port
10-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Back to back losses for OSU? Man, I'm having some Cooper flashbacks now. :) (please let us beat Michigan)

kool-aid killer
10-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Nebraska was hammered by Texas Tech on Saturday, losing by a score of 70-10. That game was painful watching. Was i suprised that they lost? No, just suprised in the way it happened. Was the worst loss in Husker history. Most people seem to realize that we dont have the players to fit Callahans offense, but others see this as a repeat of Nebraskas 7-7 season two years ago. I dont think it will be that bad, but there will be a couple of more bumps in the road. It happens. They should be able to take Baylor this week. Go Big Red!!!

Exhaust Port
10-13-2004, 01:15 PM
I couldn't watch the game due to work but just seeing the score was painful.

Exhaust Port
10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Glad to see the OSU cheerleaders suit up today and do their best against Iowa...

What? Those weren't cheerleaders?!?! That was the actual football team!!!! Nnnoooooooooo........

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I'll keep taking these losses from now until the end of the season as long as we end the season by beating Michigan. That will make it all better.

Exhaust Port
10-16-2004, 06:30 PM
You are so right. Now if Tressel can make our dreams come true......

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2004, 08:29 AM
I'll keep taking these losses from now until the end of the season as long as we end the season by beating Michigan. That will make it all better.Hey, hey, HEY! Let's not talk like this. To quote Homer S. (umm... keeping his identity a secret... ): "Ooh... that's loser talk!" So OSU is 0-3 in Big Ten play and out of the top 25 rankings and on its first 3-game slide in years and its kicker is quite possibily its best player and the team has to rely upon its defense and special teams a bit too often; strange things can happen. :crazed:

Now the true tragedies are: Tressel's former I-AA team the YSU Penguins continuing their slide. They lose by slim margins, but losses they remain. :cry:

And: my Chaffey Panthers get throttled by nationally-ranked Grossmont yet again. (p.s. That's kind of the Michigan/Ohio St. of southern California junior colleges) :(

But on the bright side, Pitt squeaks out an OT win versus BC in a sloppy, rainy contest. :sur:

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Even with this slide I still really like Tressel. Something about his poise makes him a strong leader and demands respect. Cooper on the other hand was never my favorite even when he had his ONE win against Michigan.

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey, hey, HEY! Let's not talk like this. To quote Homer S. (umm... keeping his identity a secret... ): "Ooh... that's loser talk!" So OSU is 0-3 in Big Ten play and out of the top 25 rankings and on its first 3-game slide in years and its kicker is quite possibily its best player and the team has to rely upon its defense and special teams a bit too often; strange things can happen. :crazed:

I'm just trying to bring the OSU student perspective to the forums for all to see. But hey, at least I'm not already talking about looking forward to basketball season, like many students I know. We still have to beat Michigan before I even begin to forget football and Tresel and look to basketball with Matta.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Basketball season? I haven't bothered with OSU basketball since they self-destructed in the early 90's.

kool-aid killer
10-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Forgot to post last week, so a quick bit of history: Nebraska beat Baylor, but questions about the "D" rose when Baylor scored three consecutive times in the third quarter. Dailey had a good game with no interceptions. This game seemed like maybe it was the start of the offense clicking so they could take the heat off the beat up Blackshirts.

Flash forward a week to Saturday and Nebraska loses to Kansas State 45-21. As if that wasnt bad enough we lost by the hands of their backup QB, who was doing things Nebraska used to do to everyone else (such as the option) with alarming success. The Blackshirts seem done and the defensive coordinator is getting an earful from us cornheads now. Ive heard that Wisconsin (his former team) fans are happy Callahan selected his buddy for the job here, now they have a good defense. I ask you Big 10 fans, did Kevin Cosgrove suck at Wisconsin, or are Husker fans being big crybabies for nothing? I still feel that this team will eventually improve, but most Husker fans dont appear to be as patient as i am.

Exhaust Port
10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I didn't think he was that bad at Wisconsin but OSU didn't have nearly as much trouble then with the Badgers as they did this year.

kool-aid killer
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
The Blackshirts quieted the calls for Cosgroves head this last weekend with the taming of the Missouri Tigers 24-3 at Lincoln. The game was ugly offensively (as has been the norm lately) but the defense did a good job of containing Brad Smith. Add in a good dose of solid special teams play and the Huskers were able get the win and also remain in the running for the Big 12 North title. Next week they go up against Iowa State.

It was a crazy week in college football. For the first time in my life all three major Florida programs went down. Happy day indeed. Baylor suprisingly won against Texas A&M, and Okie State came close to topping Oklahoma.

kool-aid killer
11-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Last week the Huskers dropped their game at Iowa State 34-27. Cyclones ran all over them, Huskers offense didnt do much to help either. A very disappointing game, hard to listen to your squad get schooled. Today the Huskers go up against Oklahoma and they are 30 point underdogs. Most people i talk to dont want to watch it, they anticipate the Huskers getting crushed. I on the other hand think they can win...

Exhaust Port
11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
OSU blew it today. 2 turn overs within the 10 yard line not to mention at least 1 penalty on every offensive AND defensive outing. This one should have been a win but Purdue wasn't nearly as sloppy as the Buckeyes.

SEVEN DAYS UNTIL MICHIGAN!!!!!!

Rocketboy
11-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Michigan State destroyed #5 Wisconsin today, 49-14.
A blocked punt and two 99 yard drives.
Too bad the Spartans didn't play that well all year...

Exhaust Port
11-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I was really pulling for Wisconsin to win as I really felt the had a shot at the Championship which would have brought it back to the Big 10. Oh well...

kool-aid killer
11-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Well Nebraska did end up losing to Oklahoma, 30-3. The Cornhuskers made a last second field goal to avoid the shutout. Huskers spent most of the offensive game running at them, as i think Callahan has finally figured decided to make that the focal point of this offense until he gets his desired players. Overall i liked this game, the Huskers didnt roll over and give up to them. A solid game from I-back Cory Ross kept the Husker offense from being pitiful, and the blackshirts snapped Adrian Petersons 100 game streak so that was a plus for them. An Oklahoma newspaper has quoted Callahan as calling Oklahoma fans "f'ing hillbillies" after the game as he walked off the field, apparently he hasnt looked at the faces in the stands of our home games. :D

I wonder if Utah will move up because of Georgias and Wisconsins losses this week or whether or squads will move up on them? I was suprised to see the Badgers get slapped around though.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Yeah, OSU sure made things tough for themselves. The upcoming game vs. UM will determine the character of the squad.

On a brighter note, Pitt showed its mettle on the road against a game Notre Dame team.

And Chaffey will get an invite to the CA state junior college playoffs. Bring on Grossmont!

Trip J
11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow,

Been awhile since I've checked in here. Still pulling hard for the Hawkeyes, and THIS week as an added bonus, I get to be a HUGE OSU fan.

The only really bad thing about this weekend is that I was hoping our guys could be the ones to ruin Wisconsin's season.

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Today's the day, fellow Buckeyes. Such a beautiful site on campus. All of the scarlet shirts, the obscene cries against Michigan, and the shirts with great messages on them like, "F*** Michigan" and "Ann Arbor is a W****"

So true, may we come away with an upset today. Let's end the regular season on a high note.

O-H!

Exhaust Port
11-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I-O!!!

The only game that matters!!!

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Beautiful game, wasn't it, fellow Buckeyes?

Best part of it all was having Brutus stomping on the roses. "Not in our house!" Right on, Brutus!

Say what you will about the rest of this season, we BEAT MICHIGAN!

O-H!!!!

jjreason
11-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Congrats guys, very well played game by the QB and defense (as much as it pains me to say it publically). With any luck the Hawkeyes can still get us the Roses (making Brutus look like the overassuming jackass he truly is :D ).

I think Ohio State has a lot to look forward to next year. See you in the Big House next Novemeber.

Exhaust Port
11-20-2004, 06:20 PM
I-O

Man, what a game. Not only did OSU win but they man-handled the Wolverines!!! The defense came up huge not to mention our fabulous performance by the QB. This really does make up for the crappy season. :)

Michigan has been the spoiler for a ranked OSU enough over the last decade, for once it was the Buckeyes who took it to a ranked Michigan. :D

Now if Wisconsin didn't suck so bad today against Iowa, Michigan would have lost the Rose Bowl bid. :( bummer. I guess you can't have it all.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2004, 09:21 PM
PITT IS GOING TO A BCS BOWL!!!!

While I am extremely pleased that this is so, it just shows you how goofy the BCS system really is. Pittsburgh's 8-3 record isn't too shining. But, if the Fiesta Bowl will actually be Utah/Pitt, it may not get the reception it seeks.

I can't wait for the bowl matchups to be released tomorrow; anyone know what the Holiday Bowl's alignments are? They still have the Big Ten involved? 'Cause if Ohio State's a possibility, I may spend a bit of time in San Diego this December!

Exhaust Port
12-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I believe Ohio State is going to the Alamo Bowl.

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Newscenter (our Columbus news station) said they'll be facing Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl.

Here we come, San Antonio! Ohio State fans will travel, not me, though. I'll be at home watching it, but the fans still travel well. Bowls gotta love that about us.

kool-aid killer
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Im late, but Nebraska wont be going to a bowl for the first time in like 35 years. This season, at 5-6, marks their first losing season in over 40 years too. A lot of people arent taking that too well. Personally, i thought they would be able to pull it out against Colorado and preserve both streaks, but it didnt happen. Oh well, next year should bring about some improvements within the program. Nebraska is said to have one of the best recruiting classes coming in.

I havent gotten to see much about bowl pairings, aside from the major ones, but does anyone know if Iowa State landed in one and who they will be up against?

Exhaust Port
12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Iowa State got a bowl and is going up against Miami (Ohio). I don't remember what bowl it is though.

James Boba Fettfield
12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Bowl Schedule (http://sports.yahoo.com/s/ncaafbowls;_ylc=X3oDMTBpMGxyODMzBF9TAzk1ODYyMzAwBH NlYwN0bQ--)

2-1B
07-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I still can't believe Bucky lost by 3 to Georgia. :cry:

JimJamBonds
07-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I still can't believe Bucky lost by 3 to Georgia. :cry:

Wow heck of a memory there Caesar, I don't recall that game at all only 3.5 years later..

2-1B
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I will never forget it. :(

Nor will I ever forgive those Georgia Bulldogs. We should let Mike Vick loose on them. :twisted: