PDA

View Full Version : How Frequently do you Watch Star Wars Movies?

JediTricks
09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
In the '80s and '90s, some of us would rush home from school and pop in our favorite tape until it was totally worn down, of course here that tape was probably one of the Star Wars films. Granted, times have changed, home video formats have largely changed, and even Star Wars has changed, so this new poll asks how often fans watch the Star Wars films, and applies to any or all of the Star Wars films, prequel or OT.

special thanks to Ji'dai

stillakid
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
No schedule...I put down once a year but I'm sure that it's not even that frequently. More like every once in a while whenever the urge hits me. The specialness of a thing disappates if it gets used too much I think.

ShinGodConvoy
09-06-2004, 08:56 PM
I randomly watch maybe every 3 - 6 months, and sometimes I get really inspired to watch it several days in a row. When new toys come out I watch it more. I understand the whole OTC/ VOTC toy push.

Deoxyribonucleic
09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Weekly viewins for sure, especially since I have gotten both the original Originals and the SE on dvd...just got done watching Empire last night on a dinner date! :)

Whenever I'm a bit down I also pop 'em into the ol' DVD player and have a looksee...takes all my troubles awaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Awwwwww, I LOVE STAR WARS! *giddy

Devo
09-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah about once a year. Theres other films I love as much as these. 'these' being OT. If i were to not watch one of them for more than a year it'd be ANH as its not my favourite.

LusiferSam
09-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Funny thing, I was just thinking about this the other day. I'd say I'm once or twice year watcher. The main factors are what I'm in the mood to watch and what I have time for. I may have time for a movie, but feel like a comedy. Or I may want to watch SW, but only have a half hour. I watched SW last week and was going to watch ESB today but just didn't feel it.

Tonysmo
09-07-2004, 12:21 AM
I put down monthly viewings.. I think between all of them I do watch at least one every month.. it might be a bit longer between viewings, but not too much. I do think the viewings will increase once I have the new DVDs.

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Same here! We have 6 tv's(2 with surround sound systems), 2dvd players, another if you count the PS2, and 3 vcr's in our Apt, so between tapes and dvds, and my love of SW it's impossible to go longer than a month without watching one of them! It probably comes close to weekly when the new movies get released!!! :crazed: :D

plasticfetish
09-07-2004, 04:30 AM
I said weekly. It's really, probably more like monthly, but I've been spending late nights working in my studio for the past month(s) and it's been nice to just pop a tape in and have it playing. I watched TPM last night -- well, I listened to it while I was working anyway.

There's plenty of other movies or music for me to have going, but sometimes it's gotta be Star Wars. And when the new DVD comes out, it'll be Star Wars punctuated by my yelling, "Why? Why the h*** did they change that?"

:)

Kidhuman
09-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Try for monthly but about 6 times a year or so to be exact

OC47150
09-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Whenever the Force moves me!

Lately, I've watched TPM more than the others because of my niece and nephew. My copy of the video is at my parents' house, and when the kids come down it's easy to pop it in.

I watched ATOC for the first time in a while last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

dindae
09-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I said 1 a year. I'm sure I've gone a couple of years before but I would say the average is less than two.

thomasandrea-call
09-07-2004, 11:28 AM
My son is 4 years old and he watches the movies daily and I sit down with him every once in awhile. I am the avid fan but my son likes the movies because of R2-D2 and C-3PO, and AOTC is his fav movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-07-2004, 05:40 PM
I wrote 2-4 times a year, but that's probably more for each film. I watch each of them, usually in order, but not always, and I think I've watched each of them once or twice this year, with at least one more when the DVDs come out.

realst8guy72
09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
i watch one of the episodes at least once a week. after all, DVD is the only way to view any of the star wars movies. i like to watch mainly the originals, but once in a while i will pop in episode 2. as for episode 1, well, i will pop that one in when there are times i cant sleep. ep.1 is a great sleep aid.....ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Mandalorian Candidat
09-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Like most things I do, I watch SW in moderation. I'd say just a couple times a year and that counts for a few movies, not all 5 out on home video. I'd get really sick of them if I watched more often.

Hellboy
09-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I voted once a year. I watched these films sooooo many times as a youth that I deliberately cut back my viewings as an adult so I wouldn't tire of the films. It worked too because when I do watch them I remember just how much I love them and occasionaly I'll even say to myself "oh cool I forgot about that."

jedisumo
09-07-2004, 06:45 PM
I have devoted a lot of time and money to star wars. With watching all of the movies to date and collecting everything that has star wars on it. But no one has anything on my three years old son "Alec". He will and does watch all five episodes on a daily basis, "every day" and is one of his requirments befor he goes to bed. This has been going on for almost two years now. As a matter of fact he is bugging me right now to start aotc over again for him. Now don't get me wrong he does other things that all little boys do. He also has time set aside for learning his ABC's and counting but not without his lightsaber by his side. He will not go anywhere without it, to the store, grandmas or even to bed. I have to say that their is no other house in the world that has star wars playing on their TV as much I do at mine.

Turbowars
09-07-2004, 08:07 PM
In the past I might have watched the films 2 times a year. Now since my VCR ate my OTC Empire tape I haven't for awhile. I was so Mad I threw the VCR in the trash, since the DVD's are coming soon. I did buy the Lazar Discs awhile back, but haven't bought the player yet.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-08-2004, 12:38 PM
It ebbs and flows. When the Trilogy became widely and cheaply available on VHS in the mid 90's, I watched it almost everyday, after school for a period of a couple of months. Then I hit a lull, not watching it for quite a while, up until I went to college. I had a VHS player at my apartment and a total of like, 4 videos. So once every week I would pop in the video, and chances were, it was from the Star Wars trilogy.

The DVDs spark a few viewings in a short period, but lately I would have to say I have been watching the movies at a pace of only two to three viewings a year. My DVD collection has grown leaps and bounds, and the prequel movies get regalated to the back of the pile.

I'm sure with the DVD Original Trilogy release soon, I'll bump up the average a bit.

Ji'dai
09-08-2004, 03:02 PM
It's been over two years since my last viewing - I watched AOTC on DVD once after buying it. I also watch the movies I love in moderation so I don't get burned out on them.

I'll probably get the OT DVDs for Christmas so I doubt that I will view those films again until early next year. And I'm planning to watch Episode I & II again before going to see Revenge of the Sith next Spring.

El Chuxter
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
They have movies now? :eek:

dindae
09-08-2004, 09:02 PM
It's been over two years since my last viewing - I watched AOTC on DVD once after buying it.

Sounds like an AA meeting. :D

Darth Jax
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
i said once a year, but it really depends more on how frequently ANH is shown on tv. while i have the movies on dvd and vhs i rarely watch them in that format. but i'm a sucker for movies on cable stations that rely on cheesy movies for viewership (USA, TBS, WGN, etc) and can get sucked into them quite easily. they'll go months/years without showing ANH and then it'll pop up on every channel within a week of the others. somehow ESB and ROTJ just don't seem to get the love though as they rarely show up on cable.

i've been avoiding AOTC and the recent glut of showings on HBO to stem the tide of prequel burnout. that was one thing that made it so special to see SW at the theater when we were kids, it was the only chance to see it. you had to wait a year or so for a revival showing, it didn't show up in the stores on DVD in 3 months after theatrical release.

JediTricks
09-09-2004, 01:54 AM
Jax, the reason ESB and ROTJ aren't seen on cable (or network generally) is that Lucas owns the rights to them and doesn't seem interested in offering syndication rights on them, but since Fox owns ANH they not only offered 'em but have sold (licensed, leased? I dunno) the right to air the film on TV to Warner Bros, which is why you'll see ANH on a WB-network station or TBS once in a while.

I haven't watched any SW movies since AOTC, it put a big hamper on things and I wanted to let them cool down.

The 'Xir
09-10-2004, 01:40 AM
You know I still go by my old adage that I love all the SW movies equally, but I will admit that AotC is my least favorite when I have to choose! Strange thing is I always seemed to get sucked into to all those showings on HBO and Cinemax, almost as if I keep watching it saying to myself, it can't be as bad as I think... :sur: :o :ermm: oh well! :zzz:

Ji'dai
09-10-2004, 06:32 PM
The poll results don't really surprise me, I figured on a fan site like this both extremes would be represented. Most fans either watch quite frequently or space their viewings out over long periods of time.

Sounds like an AA meeting. :D
I don' need to watch, I can't quit any time ;)

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to watch Ep. I & II in order to get into the 'mood' before going to see Revenge of the Sith or not. It might have the reverse effect. :nerv:

I thought AOTC was an improvement over TPM, but I think the prequels will likely gather more dust between viewings for me than the OT. I tend to 'save' the OT for special occasions so they don't lose their luster. It's been over three years since I've made time to view them.

JediTricks
09-10-2004, 10:55 PM
A friend loaned me his bootleg DVDs of the pre-SEs, I watched ANH without stopping today (ok, I stopped and went back a couple times to zoom in and see details like if R1-G4 has arms the way the figure does... which he does not that I can see ;)) and it was a really good time. The image wasn't really DVD quality, better than VHS but still not grand, yet the sound was perfect for my stereo, I never felt battered about by the mix unlike most studio DVD releases. I'm going to watch the other 2, then compare them to the official DVDs, and I guess that'll shape how often I'll watch 'em in the future.