PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Collector's Club and Jedi Points

stillakid
09-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Dear Hasbro,

I have a new idea for all of us left with hundreds, if not thousands, of Jedi Points. In fact, the mere presence of all of these outstanding points is the impetus for this idea of a Direct Sales Collector's Club.

While it is understandable that retailers would not be supportive of a manufacturer such as yourself selling directly to its customers, with the Star Wars Saga in the current state of losing fans, it might be advantageous for all sides to consider this idea.

The Club works like this: For, let's say, a price of 5,000 or even 10,000 Jedi Points, the "purchaser" buys the right to purchase directly from Hasbro. What this does is separate out the true "collectors" who, quite frankly, deserve preferential treatment... from the casual collectors or scalpers who would be loath to cut Jedi Points from their ill-gotten booty. The Jedi Points don't buy merchandise themselves...just the access to buy direct.

Case in point: The Super Articulated Clonetrooper. Only a scant few collectors managed to find and purchase 10 or more of these. Even fewer are in possession of 50 or more. The majority of the rest of the collectors and other casual purchasers found less than 10 or zero at retail. As for me personally, I have well over 900 action figures and countless other accessories and toys from the Star Wars product line. But my ONE (1) Super Articulated Clonetrooper I own came from an online retailer at a higher price than retail. Why? Because of over-zealous legitimate collectors and scalpers. This item was just not available to anyone else. Not even the Official Star Wars Fan Club offered this item. This was just one example.

So to alleviate this problem, Hasbro could create the Hasbro Star Wars Collectors Club, wherein anyone with enough Jedi Points (amount TBD) could join and have access and permission to pre-order and purchase any Star Wars toy in any quantity they wish. So, for instance, if I wanted to buy 100 SA Clonetroopers, I would pay my "entry fee" (via Jedi Points), and pre-order my figures with a credit card. That way, you know how many figures all the die-hard collectors want, you get your money, and everyone is happy. Retailers aren't left in the cold as the casual collectors and scalpers would still frequent the stores. Nobody loses and you show good faith to all of us who have kept this line of merchandise profitable for you.

Thank you for your time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-07-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't think this is a bad idea, but there are also several legit collectors who don't have any more JMPs (myself being one of them). Some of us actually used them when Hasbro said we could, and used most of them. Even if scalpers wanted to buy direct from Hasbro, a bunch of collectors would too, so the scalpers wouldn't be an issue anyway. The figures could be limited to X amount per person, since scalpers could still deplete their stock and sell them for higher. Maybe members would have to sign something saying they wouldn't resell their stuff?

Another way to do something like this would be for people to pay a monthly or yearly fee and get whatever they want for a little more. Or they could do sort of like Netflix, pay $20 a month and get three figures, but that's it.

As far as the JMPs go, since they took them off the packaging already, they likely won't do any more promotions with them.

stillakid
09-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't think this is a bad idea, but there are also several legit collectors who don't have any more JMPs (myself being one of them). Some of us actually used them when Hasbro said we could, and used most of them. Even if scalpers wanted to buy direct from Hasbro, a bunch of collectors would too, so the scalpers wouldn't be an issue anyway. The figures could be limited to X amount per person, since scalpers could still deplete their stock and sell them for higher. Maybe members would have to sign something saying they wouldn't resell their stuff?.

Well,... no. The point here is twofold. First, by having a Pre-order kind of system, the manufacturer itself would have a really good grasp over the quantities they need to make. For instance, you're not going to get 20 Collectors in the Club wanting to buy 400 Luke Jedi Knights. But Hasbro could expect to see 20 Collectors in the Club ordering 500+ Stormtroopers. That's just plain common sense. So, no, the stock couldn't get depleted as long as the suits at Hasbro look at the actual numbers and realize what they mean.

As far as the JediPoints themselves go, anyone who has saved them up to this point gets to join (if they have enough). Perhaps some kind of grandfather clause goes to people who used theirs in those auctions (providing they still have records of you guys). Anyone else who doesn't have enough points clearly isn't a "collector" of the calibur that the club is designed for so they are left to the standard retail and online outlets like they are now. The Club is a reward and a big pat on the back for all of us big spenders who continually buy a lot of stuff. Nobody loses any money on it either. It's not like we're buying a discount on toys, just the right to get what we want in the quantities we want without having to battle scalpers and over-zealous Collectors who have more flexible shopping schedules. More than that, the people who don't join presumably don't have to compete with those over-zealous collectors anymore as they already get their toys direct. Nobody loses here. Everybody wins. The hobby survives amidst smiles everywhere! :D

Bacta Beast
09-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Stillakid, I think I may actually agree with you! The only thing I would ad is that the new collector points going forward also count, not just the old jedi master points. It's sounds like a good idea to me! Which probably means Hasbro won't do it. :dis:

stillakid
09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Stillakid, I think I may actually agree with you! The only thing I would ad is that the new collector points going forward also count, not just the old jedi master points. It's sounds like a good idea to me! Which probably means Hasbro won't do it. :dis:

Thanks! Yeah, whatever it takes. I mean, the point here is that the die-hard collectors are going to have a lot of "proof" lying around their homes of their dedication to the hobby (besides the debt). That proof is typically in the form of UPC symbols or Jedi Points or something like that. So whatever it would take for an individual to "prove" that he is one of the proud few who deserve to be in a Collector's Club, I'm all for it. :)

JediTricks
09-09-2004, 03:24 AM
I'm gonna play Hasbro's Advocate for a second here:

- A collectors club on this scale would violate Hasbro's agreements with their retail partners, who are the companies like Target and TRU that largely keep Hasbro in business (and not just the Star Wars business either, Hasbro has dozens of other lines to think about);
- Direct sales of the SW line on Hasbro's part are disallowed by their Lucasfilm license;
- The management of a direct sales club on this scale would have to be set up from scratch as they don't have anything like this to deal with it (they make toys, they don't sell 'em) and would cost the company a lot of money to run as well as all the extra time ensuring that the POPs/Jedi Points are all in order for each customer.