PDA

View Full Version : Watched the OT all my life in Fullscreen, THEN got the widescreen.......

scruffziller
09-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Before the illustrious Jar Jar Binks on here showed me the Widescreen tutorial(and enlightened me), I had never seen the OT in OAR except the few times in the theatre. Because I was not aware that I was missing anything, certain things didn't make sense or never noticed something before because it was cut off from the "foolscreen" formatting. I'll list a few here and if I think of any other ones later I'll put those down.

1. When Luke is looking down at the 2 banthas, scouting for sandpeople, he says, "Well, there are 2 banthas down there, wait a second...there's sandpeople I can see one of them now...." I thought he meant the one that is climbing up to attack him, but why would he say that? Because on the fullscreen format that sanperson is off to the far right and is cut off from view. For years that always bothered me, until I got the OR-OT bootlegs and saw it for the first time in recent memory.

2. I had never seen the microphone that Jabba and 3PO used on the sailbarge. It looked pretty cool.

3. Never could find K-3PO. I was seeing him in the background behind those glass panels(another thread on those) but always thought it was C-3P0. On the WS he is shown right up close.

4. Never could find a great deal of the Cantina/Jabba's palace charachters till WS.

Exhaust Port
09-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the real SW world. ;) :D

JEDIpartner
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
There's a reason why film makers fill up the entire screen. I admit that there are times I watch a film and I see how things are blocked or shot and it is quite obvious that the director was shooting for the dimensions of a TV screen. There's either nothing happening toward the edges of the screen or there's nothing of any note.

I have the special WS VHS boxed set that came out in the early 1990s. It was the first time I bought the films on VHS and I'm glad that I paid for this version!

Beast
09-09-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm glad I was involved with the conversion of someone enjoying widescreen. It really is the only way that movies filmed for widescreen should be seen. I just wish more people understood it, because there's so much that people are missing when they watch their dreaded Full Screen cuts. And since it's no longer in my signature...the conversion tool link: The Ryan Wright OAR Tutorial. :)

http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I'd gotten the SE FS VHS (that's a lot of abbreviations!) in 1997 and didn't see either the original versions of the widescreen versions until I rented them last year (though I still haven't seen the ws ROTJ). Here are some things I noticed in the ws:
*Djas Puhr is clearly visible in the frame at the table with Muftak, but he's nowhere to be seen in the fs version.
*R2-D2 walking down the stairs at Docking Bay 94 may or may not be in the fs version, but the ws version shows him clearly.
I can't wait to get the DVDs in two weeks, I'm so excited!!!

Kidhuman
09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
I had never seen them either in WS until I got the bootlegs. I even noticed Dengar in Jabba's Palace. I too finally saw K-3PO

Devo
09-09-2004, 08:45 PM
and of course in the original version of Empire you needed widescreen to see lukes head pop back up when he jumps off the carbon freezing platform. This gaffe was remedied in the SE as I recall during the picture restoration.

Oh and what about in ANH the guy in the green shirt backing out of frame behind han and chewie in the falcon cockpit. I believe widescreen was needed for that too.

Oh wait yet another - in ROTJ you need widescreen to see chewies head pop out from behind a hut in the ewok village when he's supposed to be tied up.

Imperial Monarche
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I consider anyone that wants to watch a dreaded fullscreen format movie still living in the dark ages of cinema. I discovered the greatness of WS when DVD's were first released in the mid-90's and have never looked back. I can't stand to watch movies on TV for that reason (also editing which is ridiculous) and I will return a movie if I accidently buy it in FS. I have grown so acustom to the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen that if I don't see them, I don't feel like I'm watching a movie. The only thing I'm kicking myself for is that the two versions of the unedited OT I own on VHS are not WS (I will be looking for them too).

In ESB, during the escape from Hoth, you can see Han glance at the DO NOT ENTER sign on the door holding the wampas and you see Threepio walk towards it in the WS. In the FS version, you just see Han looking at...something. It's offscreen.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-09-2004, 11:07 PM
My mother is one of those people who hates "those black bars" and feels like she's being cheated by not having her full television screen used by filling it with picture (this is why I never put dvds on my xmas list with her). With DVDs, there's a really simple way to show the unconverted what they are missing by choosing full screen. Point out what's visible in the frame in the letterbox version, then hit the zoom button until the picture fills the screen and point out to them what has been pushed off the screen. Pausing the picture while doing this really helps too.

scruffziller
09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
One of the other things I couldn't stand was trying to watch the prolougue scroll on foolscreen. By the time the line got scrolled up to where it was visible, it was out of focus and you couldn't read it.

Slicker
09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Widescreen is the only way to go in the way of movie watching especially with The Holy Trilogy. I love watching widescreen movies with people that don't watch them too much and hearing them complain both about the black bars and they belive that the picture is actually cut off just and they are missing some of the picture to get the black bars there. I love WS to death.:crazed:

scruffziller
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I have figured out that what I have been missing all this time(watching the SE) was that not nessisarily due to things being changed and replaced in the SE but because I was always watching foolscreen and the stuff was cut off. Watching the new DVDs today showed me that as far that stuff goes, it was never as bad as I was going to imagine. Granted, the major things I gots to have on the non-SE is Lapti Nek and Yub-nub OH! and Sebebastian.:p

gsr-jedi
09-21-2004, 11:50 PM
I too am a convert to WS due to JJB's former sig. I can't stand watching movies in foolsscreen anymore.

Today I watched the ANH DVD and there was some things I had never seen and wasn't sure if they were edited in or just the WS version. I thought the word scroll had been made smaller, as I was so used to it being cut-off. I thought that sand person that Scruff mentioned was added in cause I had never seen him. Can't wait to watch the others.

El Chuxter
09-22-2004, 01:00 PM
I also noticed that on the DVDs, the enhanced resolution and color help quite a bit as well. I finally found Kitkik Keedkak!! :D (She's on the opposite side of the bar when the camera first pans across the bar in the center of the Cantina. You can make out her bright green arm, er, talon, whatever.)

Slicker
09-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I also noticed alot of new stuff on the widescreen DVD's over the VHS due primarily to the enhanced coloring which is amazing!

Rocketboy
09-22-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm the opposite of the people that complain about the black bars - I complain whan there aren't any!
I've been watching WS Star Wars since the '95 THX editions and haven't looked back.