PDA

View Full Version : The comming of the Savior?

The 'Xir
09-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Hhhhmmmmm, I was just thinking to myself... self, maybe RotS will save the prequels and allow these current flickers of light and sound to finally bone up to their predecessors! We that sometimes put down these movies(myself included on occassion), sometimes like to nit pick, sweat the details! Even though there are some glaring errors within them as well. However, I was trying to think of, what are some of the more glaring differences between the two trilogies? What does the OT have that the PT doesn't, and I came up with Vader! Real tough right? :rolleyes: But, what I mean is, with Vader there was an obvious and continuous Bad guy or villian to counter the chemistry that our Heros brought to the films, and in the prequels we don't have that...or do we? The prequels killed off a very good possiblity in Maul to be the Vader of the PT, but then the rest of the ying to our heros yang is shrouded more in mystery and in shadow. So there's no obvious villian we can hate and love to hate as we watch his journey through the prequel saga! No real confirmation of a bad guy...yet! However, we all know who the real bad guy is, obviously, and unless Good ole' georgie boy does a 180 on us and sarts messin' with the plot and characters; Episode III will be the confirmation we need to point the finger at and say Ah- HA (although no real suprise) That's it that's him, and we will finally have someone to hate when watching the prequels, because so far he hasn't given us any reaosn to hate him... yet! :evil: ;)

Elliejabbapop
09-10-2004, 07:23 AM
It doesn't have Han Solo either ;) , but that figures, this is the "pure 100% golden age of Jedi". A character like Solo would have stolen the scene or lacked that kind of 100% "pure persona" goodie image, right?

stillakid
09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
However, we all know who the real bad guy is,
Well, yeah, it's Jar Jar. I mean look at how he gets kicked around and made fun of. Who would blame him for snapping and turning all evil and stuff? The mask? Well, who ever took that goofy sidekick face seriously? Imagine Jar Jar standing there saying, "Oooh, apologys accepted, Captain Needa." Just doesn't cut it, does it? So Jar Jar fashions a mask and evil costume and POOF!, master villain is IN.

The Anakin thing? Aw, he's just a red herring. A bi-polar whine boy...no, a horny bi-polar whine boy. It's just Lucas writing a version of himself into the characters again.

Elliejabbapop
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
The Anakin thing? Aw, he's just a red herring. A bi-polar whine boy...no, a horny bi-polar whine boy. It's just Lucas writing a version of himself into the characters again.
You can say that about ep.II but I have a feeling you're gonna have to take that back soon ;)

stillakid
09-10-2004, 06:05 PM
You can say that about ep.II but I have a feeling you're gonna have to take that back soon ;)

The "horny bipolar" thing or the "Lucas writing himself" thing?

Elliejabbapop
09-11-2004, 02:57 AM
The first one.

stillakid
09-12-2004, 02:08 AM
The first one.

Haydakin has already proven to be a horny bipolar character in AOTC, so I fail to see how that can be "taken back" in ROTS. :confused: Or maybe Episodes I and II were just a big dream sequence....

Tonysmo
09-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Thats WIZARD Stilla!! :crazed:

Elliejabbapop
09-12-2004, 05:38 AM
Haydakin has already proven to be a horny bipolar character in AOTC, so I fail to see how that can be "taken back" in ROTS. :confused: Or maybe Episodes I and II were just a big dream sequence....
You never know, I'm a believer :)

2-1B
09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
If you didn't like 1 or 2, you're NOT gonna like 3.

Elliejabbapop
09-16-2004, 08:40 AM
That is one of the most presumptios things I've read on this forum.

stillakid
09-16-2004, 09:40 AM

Oh, I've said MUCH worse. :D

Elliejabbapop
09-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Silly is one thing, presumptious is a totally different one.

stillakid
09-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Silly is one thing, presumptious is a totally different one.

Oh, I'm both. :D But when it comes to story critiques of the actual storyline of these movies, I'm neither. Deal with it. ;)

2-1B
09-17-2004, 02:21 AM

What, my comment ? :confused:

It's a presumption based on fact, really. I didn't mean it as a slam on ROTS or the prequels in general - I just mean that quite literally, if you didn't like the first 2, you're not going to like this one. Think about it, the same guy is writing and directing it as did the first 2 episodes and the BULK of the cast is the same as the last one.

Look, I like TPM, I love AOTC, and for the most part I do presume that I will like much of ROTS, even though some things sound iffy to me. But overall, given my history with 1 and 2, I would be surprised to find myself disliking most of ROTS.

Just like with stillakid, and I'm sure he'll take this the right way, I will be utterly SHOCKED if he is a big ROTS supporter next year. Not because I presume him to have prejudged the film, it's just that given his distaste for much of the direction of the last 2 films, HOW on Earth could George Lucas - the same guilty party of 1 and 2, just magically turn everything around when he's on the same path of the last 2 ?

Meh. :Ogre:

stillakid
09-17-2004, 09:25 AM
What, my comment ? :confused:

It's a presumption based on fact, really. I didn't mean it as a slam on ROTS or the prequels in general - I just mean that quite literally, if you didn't like the first 2, you're not going to like this one. Think about it, the same guy is writing and directing it as did the first 2 episodes and the BULK of the cast is the same as the last one.

Look, I like TPM, I love AOTC, and for the most part I do presume that I will like much of ROTS, even though some things sound iffy to me. But overall, given my history with 1 and 2, I would be surprised to find myself disliking most of ROTS.

Just like with stillakid, and I'm sure he'll take this the right way, I will be utterly SHOCKED if he is a big ROTS supporter next year. Not because I presume him to have prejudged the film, it's just that given his distaste for much of the direction of the last 2 films, HOW on Earth could George Lucas - the same guilty party of 1 and 2, just magically turn everything around when he's on the same path of the last 2 ?

Meh. :Ogre:

Righto! :D Having done a little story structure workshop of my own, I can't see how Episode III could possibly pull the Prequel trilogy out of its present tailspin. Far too many inconsistencies and not to mention just plain old bad writing. Now, this isn't to say that there won't be good elements to the movie. Even TPM and AOTC had moments of design greatness or sequences that were interesting on their own. But as whole stories, thus far, the Prequels have been failures and ROTS most likely won't be much different.

Elliejabbapop
09-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, even so, people like stillakid might be surprised, you never know ;)

2-1B
09-17-2004, 11:30 AM
He won't.

Trust me. :D

:Ogre:

stillakid
09-17-2004, 05:19 PM
He won't.

Trust me. :D

:Ogre:

I might be surprised alright. I might be surprised at just how bad it can get. :D

But really, here's to hopin' (lifts glass in the air)... :ko:

Slicker
09-17-2004, 05:31 PM
But really, here's to hopin' (lifts glass in the air)... :ko:That's quite possibly the nicest thing you've ever said about the prequels. Do I see a stilla that's about to turn over a new leaf in regards to the prequels. Let's just hope not.:D

stillakid
09-17-2004, 05:36 PM
That's quite possibly the nicest thing you've ever said about the prequels. Do I see a stilla that's about to turn over a new leaf in regards to the prequels. Let's just hope not.:D

Maybe, but I make an honest attempt to not bag anything that I haven't seen. HOWEVER, my Magic 8 Ball has seen TPM and AOTC too and its sources say NO. Meaning, if we are to learn from history, the odds of ROTS being "good" are slim to none...but whacky sh** happens everyday, so who can really tell at this point? :classic:

The 'Xir
09-21-2004, 11:29 AM
I think if George had just redone AotC, it wouldn't have been so bad! Keep the love story but change it's lines, keep Jango and the clones even, and redo everything else! Dismantle the trade federation which Palpatine would have some new committee oversee. Get rid of Dooku altogether, and make Bail the leader of the seperatists(because as a political adversary, he has the foresight to see the undoing of the senate and see what Palpatine is really upto), introduce a new bad guy who under Sidiouss' control, undermines everything Bail is tyring to do. Bail with his new clone army raises an insurgencey against Palpatine who the Jedi try to Defend(really defending the preservation of the Republic) Then the climax could be, the bad guy is revealed and the sides flip! The Jedi Council thinks it has done it's job in exposing the bad guy and as a result Sidiouss' existence is also revealed. He takes control of the clone army, Palpatine plays dumb to everything as the humble leader of the Republic, and being forgiven in the minds of Bail and his followers(seeing as how it was Sidious who corrupted the Senate and the seperatists movement) the Jedi and true Bail supporters form an alliance to thwart Sidious.
Then EpIII could be about how Bail's suspicions were correct, Palpatine and Sidious are revealed as one and Anakin is faced with the decision of which side does he choose: The Jedi who guessed wrong and failed in battle and to stick to their mandates, or the Political Leader and mentor who has come out on top! Generally that's probably how it should have played out, Haven't thought of all the little details, but I think it would have been better than what we got, and would make more sense in the end, and not have left so many inconsistencies as Stilla refers to!