PDA

View Full Version : What type of SW fan are you?

Darth Rend
09-10-2004, 09:24 AM
I was thinking about this the other day, and thought I'd share it.

Star Wars has one of the most diverse fan-bases I've ever seen. SO I thought I's divide it up by different types

1) The OT Purist.

This type remebers (or just prefers) the origanal cuts from 1977, 1980 and 1983. The people most upset with the special editions, or changes of any type. They perfer the Trilogy as it was, as they first saw it. This type also despises the prequel trilogy, believing them to be inferior in quality and feeling from the OT. To them, Star wars was and always will be 3 films, A New Hope, Empire, and JEDI. No more.

2) The Movie Purist

This type takes EVERY MOVIE as canon, but not the expanded universe. All six movies are equally Star Wars. Many (though not all) also welcome the Special and 2004 Editions, as they simply provide more new Star Wars to enjoy.

3) The Full-Media Cannonist

This Type accept anything with the Star Wars name on it to be cannon. Books, Comics, Video Games...anything in the expanded universe counts, creating an intricate web of continuity to cover every aspect of the Galaxy far far away. These are the type who hope that Grand Admiral Thrawn will make an appearence in Episode 3, and will be watching the background of Jabba's palace to see if MAra Jade has been digitally added. They hold the OT and PT accountable to stay to the pre-established EU continuity.

So what type are you? (or, can you think of any others?)

Kidhuman
09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
I am a Purist, in the meaning that I like the OT in its pure form. NOt this spooge that Lucas is spewing out of his arse. I do like all the films as well. So, basically I am the second one on the list ovewrall.

El Chuxter
09-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Hmm. I don't know that I can say I fit neatly into any of those three.

I don't like Lucas changing the films, but for the most part I can live with the changes.

I see all six movies as canon, and can accept this "latest version is correct" that Lucas stands by, even if I prefer original versions (and "original versions" refers to TPM and AOTC, both of which have had their share of changes).

I'm pretty hit and miss on EU. I try to read (or watch, or whatever) as much as I can, and as long as it doesn't contradict anything that's more trustworthy on a sort of "canon scale," I'll accept it. If it's not really, really stupid. Like that first series of kids books: in addition to being some of the worst tripe put on paper, the wedding of Han and Leia therein cannot be right since Courtship of Princess Leia contradicts it, so the series is out. Doesn't mean Zorba doesn't exist, though. Zorba is kewl. :cool:

I'll see if I can put together a canon scale, time permitting.

Droid
09-10-2004, 12:47 PM
2) The Movie Purist

This type takes EVERY MOVIE as canon, but not the expanded universe. All six movies are equally Star Wars. Many (though not all) also welcome the Special and 2004 Editions, as they simply provide more new Star Wars to enjoy.

JEDIpartner
09-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Yeah... I'd be a "Movie Purist" as well...

Darth Rend
09-10-2004, 01:45 PM
oh, for the record...I am a MOVIE PURIST.

My take on the EU is this: The majority of it is horrible. There are the occasional gems though (Knights of the Old Republic and The CLone Wars animated come to mind)

I try to look at it as supllimental entertainment, but not to be taken seriously. I loved the Clone Wars animated, but if Lucas does something in Episode 3 that completely rules it out of Cannon, then I can just shrug and say oh well it was entertaining. And, when I read or see something that utterly lowers the quality of the entire saga (The NJO comes to mind) I can simply ignore it, as none of it counts anyways.

scruffziller
09-10-2004, 01:48 PM
I am a type 3. All of it is SW to me.

stillakid
09-10-2004, 06:27 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, and thought I'd share it.

Star Wars has one of the most diverse fan-bases I've ever seen. SO I thought I's divide it up by different types

1) The OT Purist.

This type remebers (or just prefers) the origanal cuts from 1977, 1980 and 1983. The people most upset with the special editions, or changes of any type. They perfer the Trilogy as it was, as they first saw it. This type also despises the prequel trilogy, believing them to be inferior in quality and feeling from the OT. To them, Star wars was and always will be 3 films, A New Hope, Empire, and JEDI. No more.

2) The Movie Purist

3) The Full-Media Cannonist

This Type accept anything with the Star Wars name on it to be cannon. Books, Comics, Video Games...anything in the expanded universe counts, creating an intricate web of continuity to cover every aspect of the Galaxy far far away. These are the type who hope that Grand Admiral Thrawn will make an appearence in Episode 3, and will be watching the background of Jabba's palace to see if MAra Jade has been digitally added. They hold the OT and PT accountable to stay to the pre-established EU continuity.

Yeah, your categories are very rigid. I'm closest to number 1, but I don't oppose change in theory. A lot of the Special Edition cosmetic changes were for the better in my opinion. I never minded the new Jabba band that much and the new Sandcrawler footage is cool. But anything that radically changes story or character I'm opposed to. So defining me as a "purist" isn't very accurate. I'm more like a normal everyday movie goer who doesn't see the point in rewriting a movie 20-ish years after it was finished. It's all about story to me, not about keeping history intact.

I don't care much for the Prequels for two reasons. The first is that relative to the OT films, they don't match at all. Continuity-wise, they are ignoring the OT just as much, if not more than, most Expanded Universe material. Bad idea on Georgie's part. The second reason I don't care much for the Prequels is that when judged on their own, just as normal films, they're not very good anyway. They just haven't been written very well and the execution hasn't been up to the potential of Lucasfilm. Just a disappointment allaround. :(

So, I guess I'm just a fan of good story well told. The OT did that for me. Some of the cosmetic changes improved it a bit...most of the other changes are ruining aspects that didn't need fixed. The Prequels are not good stories nor well told. So I'm a BIG Star Wars fan, but require quality and not just a slapped on label.

Jedi Teacher
09-10-2004, 07:51 PM
For myself, I'd have to say that I'm #2.5. I love all the movies, and enjoy much of the EU, but don't subscribe to all of it. the NJO never interested me, but I absolutely loved Zahn's books. I would also like to see some EU cameos, but I'm not holding my breath.

1) The OT Purist.

Does anyone in this category think that their love for the OT is clouded? I mean, when you think of the OT with that immense adoration, how much of that because of the experience you had when you 1st saw them? And if you dislike the NT, is any of that because you were really looking to relive that original experience? Just wondering.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-10-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm closest to being a movie purist. The OT still ranks highest with me. I don't object to some of the changes that were made in the "Special Edition" (version 2.0). The Sandcrawler, the Bantha herd, the loss of the petroleum jelly smear under Luke's landspeeder, were all fine with me as was opening up Bespin, and the much more exciting assault on the Death Star athe the end of ANH. I still would like to see the original version available on DVD though. If the PT had been my introduction to SW, I would not be a SW fan now. My attraction to the PT at this point is mostly one of design, which was one of the things that captured me about the OT when I first saw it as a kid. This was a universe that actually looked like it was inhabited.

I've read about 3/4 of the EU novels and maybe 1/4 of the EU comics. Their fine for a light read, but most of them don't even come close to the feel of the OT. I don't think of them as having anything to do with SW continuity however. The only novel that really succeeded in capturing the whole sensibility of the movies was "The Courtship of Princess Leia." It was like an expanded version of the Han and Leia stuff from TESB, and it's the only novel that embraces the sense of humor that made the OT so much fun in the first place. On that note, The Clone Wars animated series was better than anything in the PT. If Lucas had treated his Jedi like that, he'd have captured a new devout following of kids and adults the way he did back in 1977.

Bobby Fett
09-10-2004, 10:09 PM

None of the above. I read/watch Star Wars to be entertained. Inconsistencies and continuity problems don't bother me because I don't take any of it seriously.

I watch the movies because they are entertaining.
I read a lot of the books because I like them.
I collect action figures because they are really just toys, and I like toys.

I get enough reality in real life.

dr_evazan22
09-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I think I basically feel the same as El Chux in that the only really really stupid stuff I don't follow.

plasticfetish
09-12-2004, 12:32 AM
I suppose I'm a 4 (1+3) in that the OT is always going to be most important to me (in it's original form) but I also enjoy much of what's come since the OT days.

I don't hate the prequels, but I don't enjoy them, on just about any level, in the same way that I enjoy the OT. The "new" original trilogy, or the "NOT" as I'm calling it, may muddy my appreciation a bit though.

I love the video games for the most part. I enjoyed KOTOR as much as the films -- maybe more than some of them.

The cartoon (Clone Wars) has been really fun. I don't have a problem with adding those stories to the timeline. For the most part, I really look forward to any genuinely NEW ideas and stories -- of any kind. It's this constant tweaking of established stories that I dislike.