PDA

View Full Version : Thing in the Expanded Universe Changed by the Prequels

Darth Rend
09-10-2004, 04:29 PM
I'll be honest, I'm not very familiar with the EU, as I'm not a big fan of most of it. However one thing I was curious about...I know the continuity of the prequels changes some of the continuity of the EU.... can anyone who knows an example please post it here?

Lets start with what I know:

-Boba Fett is no longer Jaster Muriel

-The Novelization of Phantom Menace says that Qui-Gon Jinn had fought along side Eeth Koth in the Hyperspace Wars, but in AOTC Sio Bible says there has not been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic

-Previously EU had determined that the dark side horribly mutates the user after time, but Dooku who is a sith Lord, looks the same as he did when he left the Jedi order years ago.

-In the HEIR TO THE EMPIRE trilogy, Trawn's forces were going after Sparti cloning cylinders, used during the Clone Wars, to quickly rebuild the Imperial ranks....but in AOTC, we find out the Clones came from Kamino, and that it takes about 10 years to grow and train a battleworthy Clone.

-In the HEIR TO THE EMPIRE trilogy, Joruus Kaboth is a cloned Jedi, but in AOTC and ROTS it is clear no Jedi were cloned during the war.

Thats all I can think of at the moment...any one else think of any?

Rocketboy
09-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't know (or care) much about EU, but I'll give a shot answering some of these.

-The Novelization of Phantom Menace says that Qui-Gon Jinn had fought along side Eeth Koth in the Hyperspace Wars, but in AOTC Sio Bible says there has not been a full scale war since the formation of the RepublicThe key here is probably full scale. The Hyperspace War could've be a small scale war. I think it was covered in the comics.

-Previously EU had determined that the dark side horribly mutates the user after time, but Dooku who is a sith Lord, looks the same as he did when he left the Jedi order years ago.Have they ever said how long Dooku has been a Sith apprentice? Also he may not have fully embraced the dark side yet.

-In the HEIR TO THE EMPIRE trilogy, Trawn's forces were going after Sparti cloning cylinders, used during the Clone Wars, to quickly rebuild the Imperial ranks....but in AOTC, we find out the Clones came from Kamino, and that it takes about 10 years to grow and train a battleworthy Clone.Dex says that the Kaminoins are damn good cloners, he didn't say they were the only ones. There are presumably other cloners out there operating during the time of Clone Wars.

-In the HEIR TO THE EMPIRE trilogy, Joruus Kaboth is a cloned Jedi, but in AOTC and ROTS it is clear no Jedi were cloned during the war.He may have been cloned by someone else besides the Kaminoins before, during, or even after the war. All they needed was a DNA sample right?

I have one example though. In Tales From Jabba's Palace, the Rebo Band story doesn't seem to fit anymore. Sorry I can't elaborate, because I can't remember the details, except it applied to the Original Rebo Band of Max Rebo, Droopy McCool, and Sy Snootles.

Darth Rend
09-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Dex says that the Kaminoins are damn good cloners, he didn't say they were the only ones. There are presumably other cloners out there operating during the time of Clone Wars.

He may have been cloned by someone else besides the Kaminoins before, during, or even after the war. All they needed was a DNA sample right?
Well if they are damn good cloners, then it is unlikely that other cloners were able to do it faster than them. Its is implyed in that story the clones were grown almost overnight. it still should have taken 10 years or more.

the other thing is, they specifically say these were the same cylinders used to make the clones in the clone wars.

Any other examples?

El Chuxter
09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
First up, this isn't really a "Classic Trilogy" discussion, but (having no idea what forum would be better suited for it, and since Rocketboy brought up a bit from the SE's) I'll allow it. :)

I don't think Jorus being cloned is completely out of the question. If Palpatine was cloning himself (like Dark Empire says), he must've been doing it secretly, and cloning his Jedi advisor isn't completely disproven. I don't believe it says Joruus was created prior to AOTC in Zahn's novels.

Cloning was outlawed after the Clone Wars on all worlds except for whichever world Dorskk 81 & 82 come from. I don't think ROTS specifically says all clones are from Kamino, nor is the brand name of the cloning chambers used named in AOTC or ROTS. (And if you know one way or the other, zip it, because this is an ROTS Spoiler-Free zone. :p)

Boba Fett's godawful "Tale from Jabba's Palace" is out, because not only do we now know he wasn't Jaster Mareel, we know from the ROTJ:SE that he isn't a celibate fuddy-duddy.

Prior to AOTC, it was established that both Neeja Halcyon (or was that Kieron Halcyon?) and Ki-Adi Mundi were married. This has since been explained in the New Essential Guide to Characters. Same thing for the starship carrying the "Children of the Jedi."

A lot of lightsaber colors were scrapped as of AOTC, but I think there's a reasonable explanation for that.

Obi-Wan in several novels had been established as native to Tatooine, and his brother was Owen Lars. One of the Jedi Apprentice books still says he has a brother named Owen, but doesn't give a last name. It could be a rather common name.

There was supposed to have been a Dark Jedi uprising during the Clone Wars, with Halcyon killing an Anzati Dark Jedi, and with Yoda killing a Bpfasshi Dark Jedi on Dagobah.

The Mandalorean Supercommandoes were not wiped out by Jedi during the Clone Wars.

I'll post more if I think of 'em.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Does this all count if we consider the "Glove of Darth Vader" series? ;)

Ben Kenobi not hearing himself called "Obi-Wan" for a "long time," apparently wasn't that "long" ago anymore (what, 19 years maximum?).

Exar Kun could be a moot character.

Admiral Ackbar as a slave of Tarkin might not fly anymore.

The healing powers of Jedi seem to be ignored in the films, as well as the healing trances, specifically.

All I can come up with right now.

rbaumhauer
09-12-2004, 10:59 AM
The PT and EU are BS from different sources........

Seriously, there hasn't been a Star Wars novel that actually felt like it was true to the original films (particularly SW and ESB) since Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. So, from that standpoint, invalidating the EU is no bad thing; I just wish Lucas had done it with movies that weren't the (nearly) unmitigated, beginning-to-end cr@p of the PT.

Rocketboy
09-12-2004, 04:20 PM
The only Star Wars novel that truly captures that Star Wars feeling is Shadows of the Empire, IMO.

rbaumhauer
09-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Hmmm, to each their own, I suppose - I thought "Shadows" was absolutely awful.

Darth Rend
09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
The PT and EU are BS from different sources........

Seriously, there hasn't been a Star Wars novel that actually felt like it was true to the original films (particularly SW and ESB) since Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. So, from that standpoint, invalidating the EU is no bad thing; I just wish Lucas had done it with movies that weren't the (nearly) unmitigated, beginning-to-end cr@p of the PT.
OK so the prequls, written by the man who created the WHOLE thing, is BS..but Han Solo having an "evil twin cousin" really feels like TESB to you???

Rocketboy
09-13-2004, 02:44 PM
OK so the prequls, written by the man who created the WHOLE thing, is BS..but Han Solo having an "evil twin cousin" really feels like TESB to you???Evil twin cousin?
For the love of...Are you sure that wasn't a Star Trek novel?

El Chuxter
09-13-2004, 03:03 PM
That's not in Daley's Han Solo books, but in a later series called The Corellian Trilogy. It was a really, really bad miniseries.

Darth Rend
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Really? What was in Daley's books?

My experience with the expanded universe has been pretty poor...most of the big Ideas from the EU make Jar Jar look like Boba-Freaken-Fett.

rbaumhauer
09-13-2004, 05:08 PM
I have to admit, I was mystified by your original response, since I didn't remember Han's evil cousin at all - thanks to El Chuxter for figuring it out for me (haven't read the Corellian Trilogy myself).

Daley's books are set in the Corporate Sector Authority, so they don't even really involve the Empire at all. Lots of smuggling jobs gone bad, Falcon needs repair, getting into tight spots and getting out by the skin of their teeth kinda stuff - great "adventure" novels with a couple known characters. For my money, nobody ever got Solo as absolutely right (in his ANH, pre-"Greedo shoots first" persona :) ) as Daley did.

Each of Daley's Solo novels is less than 200 pages, and you can find an omnibus edition with all three novels for about $7 - I guarantee you'll smile the whole time. Daley simply gives us the characters as we saw them in ANH, puts them in new situations, and tells a good story (or three). He didn't break anything, gave us some new interesting details, and did it in an entertaining fashion.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Gallandro, a character from the Daley series, is one of the best EU creations, IMO.

Thracken Sal-Solo was quite Trek-esque, and not a good addition to the SW universe.