PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 4

Tycho
09-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I thought tonight was the premier (Friday, Sept. 10, 2004, 8 o'clock pm)?

When is it really going to happen?

They showed "Countdown" tonight, and "Zero Hour" is the final Season 3 episode after that, so I can't imagine that the season premier would air tonight.

Dang. I was looking forward to it.

dr_evazan22
09-10-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm glad it wasn't tonight, as I would have completely missed it. Looking forward to it being on the air again.

JediTricks
09-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Stupid Friday timeslot!!! And I just checked listings, there appears to be no Enterprise on next week at all. I think UPN has screwed up, keep checking your local listings because it seems like they're gonna keep changing things over and over.

BTW, according to the news story quoted in the Season 3 thread, new eps won't start until Oct 8th.

Tycho
09-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Yup. Stupid me. I started the thread before checking the official site.

StarTrek.com says Oct. 8.

I did see a commercial about Brent Spiner being on the show for several episodes in Season 4, dealing with a very cool and particular point of Star Trek history that we've never seen explored before: The Eugenics Wars!!!

Season 4 could really rock!

On another note, I'd been watching "Unforgiven" just prior to tuning in "Countdown," when I noticed the difference from coming from a movie with

Gene Hackman (a great actor!)
Morgan Freeman
Clint Eastwood

- all the Star Trek guest stars, especially aliens, sound like stuffy, British butler types or whatever. They don't talk tough - not even the Xindi.

I know Klingons are Klingons, but a Klingon in the bar with Clint Eastwood would have made a few more quick-draw gunmen killers think twice about trying something. The Xindi, as cool as they are - ARE NOT.

Star Trek still needs a harder edge to it.

JediTricks
10-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Well, that felt like a total Voyager episode to me, and it's a "to be continued" as well. The effects budget slashing really took its toll on a few shots, I was surprised at how bad the early shots of the shuttlepod running from the P-51s actually was, you'd think they would have kept the previous computer models and worked from there. Ultimately, I don't think there was enough reward to keep me involved, but I am hopeful that something MAJOR happens by the end of the next ep that will change the Enterprise show's universe and history for the better.

mrmiller
10-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Wow JT. I thought this was a good Sci-Fi episode. Good Star Trek episode- maybe, but good sci-fi anyhow.

I think this shows some promise, as it adds some nice story telling posibilities. I only dread the idea that it may all backfire and make the enire "Enterprise" series where it never happend. That's always the big rip-off way of fixing everyihtn in a time travel sci-fi show.

With my dissapointment of Smallville I need something to look forward to. Right now I'm looking forward to the next Trek episoides.

=MATT=

Tycho
10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I second that. Enterprise was really good.

A lot of action. A great story premise (though we've seen this done before - the Nazis ruling, the Roman Empire never having fallen, etc. etc.) but it feels like great modern Star Trek if not original Star Trek.

Still, nicely done.

JediTricks
10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Wow JT. I thought this was a good Sci-Fi episode. Good Star Trek episode- maybe, but good sci-fi anyhow. I think I see what you're saying, but for me it was a decent sci-fi premise presented in the most Voyager manner possible. It's hardly the only story to present the Nazis winning WWII or even aliens helping them do it, and while I would have liked to have seen more of that, instead we get Archie running around New York and Enterprise dealing with Silik and fighter planes and no way to get home and it just didn't work for me.

I think this shows some promise, as it adds some nice story telling posibilities. I only dread the idea that it may all backfire and make the enire "Enterprise" series where it never happend. That's always the big rip-off way of fixing everyihtn in a time travel sci-fi show. That was one of my earliest theories, that Archie and the crew make the ultimate sacrifice in the last episode and erase their entire history in order to make the timeline "right" for Trek to be what it was. It could even be heroic, imagine how hard it would be for these people to each agree that not only would they sacrifice themselves, but they'd sacrifice their entire existance just to make things better. It'd be like that time-ship 2-parter of Voyager, except without the happy ending that our characters got.

mrmiller
10-11-2004, 12:33 AM
I wonder how they are going to work in the smaller story arc's thay talked about before the season started. My biggest worry for this season is that it will become some sort of Time Hopping Star Trek Quantum Leap show... I guess if that does happen they have the right captian for it.

=MATT=

Tycho
10-11-2004, 02:56 AM
I think I know where they are going with this:

1996-7 happened in our history with no Eugenics Wars and World War III obviously isn't slated to happen (we hope).

But Star Trek is supposed to be OUR future.

So they are allowing these timeline incursions to re-write history so that in 1996 there really WAS a Eugenics War and Star Trek's future just takes place along a divergent time strand than our future is going down - perhaps we'll even see the split where our timeline and Archer's diverge.

The one problem I think they might have is that didn't VOYAGER travel back to 1996?

They must have gone to "our 1996" and not their own. So Janeway not only time traveled, but went back on the wrong "parallel." That makes sense - she was always getting lost anyways.

Hellboy
10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I didn't care for the season premiere at all. Everything about it just had the been there done that feeling to me. Based on this episode the show seems to be continuing down the road of mediocrity. Are we really supposed to be excited that Brent Spiner is going to be making a guest appearance? :rolleyes:

JediTricks
10-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Haw! Hellboy, you just said a mouthful, I couldn't agree more with what you posted.

This second half of the plot totally stunk for me, very silly, straightforward, overly-travelled territory with a semi-reboot at the end. This ep even overused the transporter as so many of their tighter spots do. And why didn't Daniels simply pull Archie & the gang from an earlier period in their history before the Xindi attack so they'd be better able to deal with the space Nazis? Why bother saving Trip since he'd be rebooted by Daniels onto the bridge anyway? Having the evil time travel king standing in the corridor for like 10 seconds while they knew the attack was coming down on them was the final insult. Manny Coto's first outing this season is just as bad as anything Voyager spit out, leaving me with zero hope for the rest of this show's short life.

Tycho
10-22-2004, 10:59 PM
So did T'Pol get married?

Did Trip intervene and they just didn't show it?

They could have been married secretly offscreen and are saving it for a surprise or to react to popular opinion in the weeks to come.

The writers left that show capable of having it any way they wanted it.

Meanwhile, why rock climbing? Kirk rock climbed. So did Picard a little, as did Sisko a bit.

Why not golf or whitewater rafting (though the Chief did that).

Maybe pottery making?

Personally, I like hiking and some rocking climbing (basic stuff), so I can't blame him, but...

Good acting for Scott Bakula playing the tortured captain who's conscience bothered him for what he had done in the expanse.

The Vulcan hand shake at the end was OK, but it could have prolonged the storyline had they been unforgiving.

JediTricks
10-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Soap opera tripe. TNG had a few eps like this, I find most of them to be totally unwatchable on reruns - this one may be in that category. Joanna Cassidy, who was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", barely even pretended she was supposed to be a Vulcan fighting to contain her emtions. Even the camerawork in this ep felt like a soap, I really didn't care for it at all. And then there were so many dangling plot points that either disappeared or wound up magically "fixed" at the end. I really hope this isn't how ENT is going to be from now on.

vulcantouch
11-09-2004, 11:47 AM
. . . "my expectations of this series have always been so LOW they'd hafta work very hard indeed to disappoint Me" :evil: i spose that's why i ain't been as disappointed as y'all, and am even enjoying the eugenic trilogy just fine so far, with its touches of klingons, orions, nietzsche, khan, "shadows & symbols" ("dr. wyckoff, report to isolation ward 3" ), spiner chris-elliottesque snottiness etc :D but they really shoulda taken an obvious opportunity to easily clear up the wardate's confusion by just saying it took place in the 2090s, not the 1990s :p on that math note, time for a coupla Ent Equations:
("storm front 1" + "storm front 2" ) = ("patterns of force" + "piece of the action" ) :D
(orion ships + big show as an orion slaver) = (nemesis romulan ships + a gamorrean guard) :silly:
vt

scruffziller
11-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I've been enjoying the Spiner eps. I like how they show a real struggle of his id and superego really fighting inside, evil deeds vs. objective. Kinda like Lore vs Data.
Maybe this is how Noonien Soong becomes so smart to create his androids. He is part augment. In the brains department that is.

Tycho
11-09-2004, 01:42 PM
So when is Arik Soong going to find time to get a girl and get married?

I think it's possible that he already was married and had children of his own, but his wife left him when she learned she was married to a mad scientist ;)

However, the story's plausibility factor is running well and therefore it works perfectly for this guy to look exactly like Data: perhaps instead of having natural children, Soong cloned an augment from himself? - Noonian Soong or his father - and a combination of cloning and genetically engineered longer lifespans resulted in the scientist who created Data looking just like Arik Soong.

That works.

Meanwhile, yes, Brent Spiner is playing the role well. We knew he would.

JediTricks
11-09-2004, 02:37 PM
These "augments" smack of the Nietzschians from "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" (which is watchable in a 'confusing sci-fi fluff' sort of way), and the ripped black clothing is just laughable. So far, I haven't been really engaged by the eps, though a few elements of them have worked better than usual.

VT, you are totally right about the timeline issue, especially since in the ST novels they fixed that date issue.

Great equations, I totally said the same thing about Storm Front and the Gamorrean guard look. As for the Romulan Nemesis ships, it's a passing similarity I think, the Orion ships aren't as pointy and wingy.

I love how the new "old" Klingon ship looks like a KBOP except it also has a shuttlebay in the back which the KBOP didn't have room for and blasters on the bridge aka the head. Speaking of which, what's with that twin gun turret on the belly of the ship, is that in case the bridge section goes rogue and they can blast it right off? It's pointing directly at the bridge, seems like a very useless set of disruptors (notice that they never have used it in the show in close-up, I suspect the computer model would end up locking up when the laser coming out of the gun interrupted the front of the ship ;)).

Tycho
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Let's talk about this for a minute:

what is the point of super-genetically-enhanced-in-intelligence-and physical abilty humans running around in a fashion that incorporates holes in their clothing?

I'd think that practicality would have necessitated taking on clothing less likely to rip - better camaouflage - or something with blast resistant armor (like ARC Troopers) - if not disguise outfits.

Instead perhaps they think they are being sexy, but the women to men ratio does not work in the men's favor.

JediTricks
11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
I *think* we're supposed to accept that these are the same clothes the had to wear since they were children, they've simply grown out of them and had no way to get more. I don't think that theory holds up though. Plus, why all the black and other dark colors?

Tycho
11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I thought tonight would explain why the Klingons started to look human - because of the viruses released in their colony's atmosphere.

Or perhaps they salvage Soong's embroyos and try to augment Klingons with them and create more "human-looking" Klingons?

Worf said it is a deeply embarassing thing and they don't discuss it.

So where's this going?

The rest of the episode was predictible and didn't take as many chances as it could have.

JediTricks
11-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Or perhaps they salvage Soong's embroyos and try to augment Klingons with them and create more "human-looking" Klingons?That was my hope as well, would have made sense in that way, though might have killed the DS9 connection (or not, could have said that Kang & Kor & Kodos were genetically-modified using the same modifications they made on the embryos and once they became successful warriors, they were changed back to regular Klingons).

This ep was, IMO, totally on autopilot, mostly just "shoot, run, shoot, run" borrowing notes from ST2 and ST:First Contact, the solution with Enterprise shooting torpedoes at the torpedo made NO sense since they should have flown at the same speed, and then Malik beaming aboard Ent without anybody noticing was the final straw. Soong's comments at the end just confirmed that this was pointless, unwatchable pap.

vulcantouch
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
-yeah that was way too on-the-nose weren't it? thanx for Spelling It Out for us dumbclucks you Masters Of Understatement :rolleyes:

tych: "thought tonight would explain why the Klingons started to look human"
-yeah they really missed a continuity opportunity- they coulda splained it like this: the planet was kinda infected (a la ds9's "for the uniform" ), and to help make up for it the augchick would stay behind, earn the klingons' respect w/her badassedness and then become their "old lady" by fortifying the survivors & succeeding generations w/her superhuman dna, whose dominant genes could account both for human appearance, eventual reversion to the full klingon look in the case of crossover klingons (kang, kor and koloth- Not kodos jt, you thinkin of the simps halloween aliens ;) ), and increased expansionist ambitions of the empire as a whole during the time period in question. it woulda also nicely echoed a ds9 dax adventure (the albino infecting 3 infants w/a pathogen, spurring their dads' "blood oath" vendetta) and account for klingon reluctance to "discuss this with outsiders" since, in effect, augment dna made klingon genes their beeyotch ;) if we 3 spotted this clever opportunity just while Watching it why couldn't those paid to Write it do the same? :p
they Also neglected to sieze the opportunity to xplain why arik & kahn's names are so similar :rolleyes:
vt

JediTricks
11-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Ha, I was wondering if anybody would catch that "Kodos" ref. :D I typed it out that way on accident and thought it was funny enough to leave that way.

The names thing would have been fairly easy too, just say "my father was an admirer of the original Eugenics prince", ties it together better than just that under-utilized "the Botany Bay was just a myth" bit.

So far, this new head of the show, Manny Coto, seems to have no idea how to interlace the concepts of TOS into this series even though he claims to be a major Trek fan. This show just stinks of Voyager-itis in some ways worse than seasons 1 and 2.

Tycho
11-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Last night's "The Forge" was awesome! This is a return to great Trek!

Enterprise has stepped up to the challenge. I only hope that its Friday time slot will not banish it to ratings low-lands.

The show is finally holding its own with other Star Treks if it continues with episodes like these!

JediTricks
11-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah, it was really good, I was shocked. Herc over at AICN pointed out that it was authored by the writers of Shatner's "The Return", arguably one of the best Trek novels of all time and a book which took up where the crappy film Generations left off and made a fantastic cross-Trek-generational tale of adventure and excitement while riffing off so many pieces of Trek lore and tying them all together in a great package, having them as the authors tells me all I need know about why this ep of "Enterprise" worked when so many others did not. It kicked arse!

The "bomber who is actually an insider" part of the plot felt a little threadbare from all the times we've seen Trek use it before, but the rest was gold. Transforming so many elements from the various shows & films and tying them into the shoddy "Enterprise" Vulcans, creating a religion which has been driven into hiding by a corrupt element of the government but will soon again become the major religion of their culture was absolute genius. Even the clunkiest moments of this part of the ep felt ok afterwards because so much was turned on its ear. A lot of the Vulcan stuff from ST 3 and 4 really comes in handy here, some good stuff which lays a nice groundwork without crossing the "look at which Trek show we're referencing!!!" boundry that Ent usually crosses; talking about Surak and having T'Pau doing something in her religion (years before she turned down a seat on the Federation council and officiated over Spock's failed marriage) was another solid touch, yet avoided slapping the audience around with over-the-top references that don't mean squat in the long run like much of what this series has been so oft to do.

Unfortunately, AICN's Herc also said that the next 2 parts to the story aren't by the same writers and surmises that they won't be as good. I hope he's wrong about the follow-up eps being unable to finish what this ep delivers upon because if Herc's wrong then this "event" will go a lot further to legitimize the series, but if Herc's right then "The Forge" will simply have been a fluke, a brief high-note quickly snuffed out by problems like those which suffocated Voyager so often and killed the Augments eps from the last weeks. This may not have been one of the "BEST TREK EPS EVER" but it's darn good work and probably the best ep "Enterprise" will ever enjoy. I'm going to actually re-watch it when it airs again in an hour.

Tycho
11-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Star Trek was really good tonight!

They've surpassed my expectations, made me want the DVD's, and have me clammoring for so much Trek that I'm watching all my TOS tapes all over again!

Vulcans are cool. They never were my favorite race in Trek before (I'm into Klingons and Cardassians, sometimes Ferengi make me laugh) but now I'm way into Vulcans!

Star Trek is right on the money coming back to political issues and painting a similar picture to test our moral compasses!

I've been posting at StarTrek.com and this episode is getting extremely political in the discussion thread. I'm SSGsTycho over there.

I think it's wonderful, but man has the show moved into Rancor Pit Territory by comparison for what's allowable over here.

JediTricks
11-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I must have seen a different episode Tycho, because I thought tonight's ep was such an incredible let-down, a total waste of all the beautiful material the first ep had brought up, and Roxann "B'Elanna Torres" Dawson proves once again that she is a sub-par director. There was no nuance, no cold logic to our "villains", just "kill kill kill". The plot was all A-to-B-to-C crap right down to "I'll mind-meld with him in an hour", thanks for giving us the countdown clock to worry about ya hack! The acting was just as dull as any other Enterprise ep unlike last week's "The Forge" which had some inspired acting and moment-based pieces unlike this week's where it was back to action-based, conflict-free tripe. I could go on all night about how much of a let-down this one was, but I'm just going to stop here for now.

Hellboy
12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Well I finally caught up on all my Trek episodes and I must admit since the season premiere they haven't been all that bad, but then again they haven't been that good either. I like the new 3 episode story arc format quite a bit and think if its handled right we could see some pretty meaningful and hopefully deeper storylines. It sure beats the tie-all-the-loose-ends-up-in-an-hour format we've become accustomed to.

Now as far as the last two story arcs go I didn't really care for the Soong/Augment storyline. It wasn't all bad but it did suffer from some of the same elements as the premiere, it just didn't feel original enough. It was like a poor mans Wrath of Khan and I couldn't help but be reminded of the Replicants from Blade Runner with the Augments quest for independance. Except unlike the Replicants the Augments weren't being hunted and they could have achieved their goal without creating all of the intergalactic drama by becoming murderers. I guess stealth and intelligence weren't part of Soong's augmentation process. Overall the story served little purpose and came off feeling staged for the sake of some ST 2 style action.

The Vulcan story arc started out great as you guys stated but as the plotline progressed I started to think some of it was getting pretty silly. Especially the irrational behavior of the so called Vulcan High Council. For a race as buried in the ideals of logic as the Vulcans are I found it very hard to fathom that their rulers would allow an obvious madman to make such illogical decisions without first considering the galactic ramifications. I mean isn't the purpose of a council to debate and address conflicts and come to a resolution as a group? And what happened to Vulcan's suppressing their emotions? I can't recall his name but this Vulcan leader displayed such a wide array of emotions logic would clearly dictate he's lost it. The other thing that bothered me was the unnecessary insertion of T'Pal's mother into the story. Her death scene was so cheesy, are we actually supposed to believe that amongst all that chaos T'Pal just happens to stumble upon a women in the rumble and its her mother clinging to life just long enough to tell her daughter she was proud of her. :rolleyes: Again it felt staged, more unnecessarily forced drama. I won't even get into how this plot seemed to almost blatantly mirror the current conflict in Iraqi from a seriously exaggerated point of view. The high points of this arc were the development of Surak, the always entertaining Jeffery Combs as Shran and the death of a somewhat major character in Admiral Forrester. Ho-hum :ermm:

Tycho
12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
I think the head of the Vulcan High Command was a Romulan, or in league with them.

We'll find out soon enough as a Romulan story arc is on it's way after re-runs.

vulcantouch
12-09-2004, 11:11 AM
another Ent equation: "le forge" + "awakening" + "kir'shara" = "unification 1" + "gambit 2" + "chain of command 2" + ST3TSFS + some Dune thrown in ;P

jt: "stinks of Voyager-itis"
-not much of an insult to me, as i enjoyed Voy a-ok :)

tych: "been posting at StarTrek.com and this episode is getting extremely political in the discussion. . . the show moved into Rancor Pit Territory"
-you mean you ain't yet seen our right-up-this-alley discussion we been having right here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25185)? my latest post even touches on this trilogy, so come on over :D

hellb: "I won't even get into how this plot seemed to almost blatantly mirror the current conflict in Iraqi from a seriously exaggerated point of view"
-as i just did w/tych, i hereby invite you to reference above link and Get Into It :evil:
vt

scruffziller
01-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Production Report: Klingon Discrepancy Addressed in "Affliction"

SPOILER ALERT!!!

It's probably the single most popular topic of conversation among Star Trek fans: Why do Klingons (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/aliens/article/70638.html) look different during Captain Kirk (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/character/1112496.html)'s day than all the times after and before? What happened to their forehead ridges during that period? (We all know the real reason the original show didn't have the budget for prosthetic makeup ... and starting with the movies they did. But that explanation is no fun!) In fact, at conventions fans consistently ask if that discrepancy would ever be explained on the show, thus becoming "canon." Well, Trekkies and Trekkers, it's finally happening. The 15th episode of Season 4 of Star Trek: Enterprise will begin to address that issue, and it's called "Affliction."

"Affliction" is the first of a two-parter, written by Mike Sussman (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/creative/bio/8616.html) (we've got a bio for him now!) from a story by Manny Coto (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/creative/bio/6171.html). The second part is called "Divergence," written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens (javascript:newWindow=window.open('/startrek/page/redirect/external?id=6982', '_reeves'); newWindow.focus()), and those episodes will air in February. (During sweeps ... clever, huh?)

The Klingon forehead issue is a complicated one, because it has to take into account a number of factors if one is to stay true to the Star Trek universe as previously established (related feature (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/documentaries/article/1614.html)). The simplest theories (e.g. "southern" vs. "northern" breeds) have to be thrown out because Star Trek: Deep Space Nine reprised three Klingon characters from the Original Series Kor (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1071398.html), Koloth (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1071397.html) and Kang (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1071395.html) and gave them forehead ridges in "Blood Oath (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/68160.html)." Then there was "Trials and Tribble-ations (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/68968.html)," where the crew went back in time to Station K-7, looked around and said, "Those are Klingons??" They turned to bumpy-headed Worf (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/character/1112448.html) for an explanation, and he would only say it's a long story and "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

Well, rest assured the writers have taken all that into account and have come up with a scenario consistent with all those elements. We won't give it away here, of course, but we will say that it ties very neatly into other aspects of Trek history.

To briefly synopsize the story, Enterprise heads back to Earth for the official launch of the Columbia NX-02, commanded by Erika Hernandez. After visiting his favorite Chinese restaurant in San Francisco, Phlox (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/character/1122660.html) is abducted by aliens (Rigelians, actually). He finds himself in the presence of Klingons who tell him the Empire is facing its gravest threat in centuries. Along the way, as Archer (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/character/1122628.html) and company investigate and pursue, it's revealed that one of our main characters has a secret past which comes into play.

There's some exciting casting in this show, including some familiar Klingon faces. Remember the Klingon Ambassador (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1119550.html) who railed against Kirk in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/MOV/004/synopsis/84.html)" and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/MOV/006/synopsis/86.html)"? That was John Schuck, and he's back in the bumpy cranium but as a more cerebral Klingon, a scientist named "Antaak." Schuck was also a Cardassian in DS9's "The Maquis, Part II (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/68164.html)," and a member of the "Chorus" in Star Trek: Voyager's "Muse (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/VOY/episode/111367.html)."

Worf's son Alexander (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1114489.html) was played by four different people (counting the future one in "Firstborn (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68652.html)"). The final actor in that role for the DS9 episodes "Sons and Daughters (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/71439.html)" and "You Are Cordially Invited... (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/71449.html)" was Marc Worden. Here, Worden plays a "Klingon Prisoner" who, shall we say, undergoes some nasty business related to those head ridges.

Ada Maris, introduced in "Home (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/6399.html)" as Archer's old flame, returns as the Columbia's captain. Another face back in uniform is that of avid Trek fan Seth MacFarlane, creator of the animated comedy Family Guy (which currently is being made into a movie). The 31-year-old MacFarlane had a brief cameo last season as an Engineer in "The Forgotten (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/4424.html)" (related story (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/4423.html)). He's still an Engineer but now he's got a Columbia patch on his uniform, and he's got a name: "Ensign Rivers." He's also got more scenes this time.

Two more alumni in the guest cast are Eric Pierpoint as "Harris" (a mysterious person involved in a certain character's past), and Brad Greenquist as one of the Rigelians who kidnap Phlox. Pierpoint has appeared once in each of the latter-day Trek series in TNG's "Liaisons (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68614.html)," DS9's "For the Uniform (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/68984.html)," Voyager's "Barge of the Dead (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/VOY/episode/108140.html)," and Enterprise's "Rogue Planet (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/123520.html)." Greenquist was in "Dawn (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/126820.html)," and also Voyager's "Warlord (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/VOY/episode/68938.html)" and DS9's "Who Mourns for Morn? (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/71925.html)"

Production on this installment took place from Friday, December 3, through Monday of this week. Certain standing sets were redressed a bit to serve as the equivalent sections of Columbia, namely Engineering, the Bridge, and the Captain's Mess. On the latter set there was a greenscreen in the window where a view of the drydock will be inserted later.

There were some exterior scenes for the sequence where Phlox is walking with Hoshi and they get jumped by the Rigelians, and subsequently the area becomes a crime scene. This was shot at Paramount, but rather than use the New York Streets backlot yet again (as in "Storm Front (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/6259.html)"), the company did these scenes between the studio's Administration Building (home of all the top executives) and another building which may be recognizable as the high school in Happy Days. There's an altercation, so Linda Park (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/cast/120460.html) was stunt-doubled by Diana Inosanto (John Billingsley (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/cast/120439.html) did his own, less intense moves), and the other two Rigelians besides Greenquist were played by stuntmen Brian Williams and Tom Dupont.

About a day and a half was spent in a Klingon Laboratory designed as a dark, dank chamber filled with rusty equipment (the script reads, "If Doctor Frankenstein lived in the 22nd century, he might work in a place like this"). There were some rattling animal cages on the set, but much of the atmosphere of these scenes will be created through post-production sound and visual effects. There will be Targs running around and snarling, digitally.

Will we actually see the Kirk-era Klingon visage in this episode? Why yes! In fact, we'll see four of them (referred to in the production notes either as "Klingons, Type Two" or "Semi-Klingons"), the principal one named "Marab." And yes, they have that swarthy complexion and that Fu Manchu facial hair. They do, however, have a very slight remnant of the forehead ridge. Their outfits are leathery brown like we've seen on Klingons before, but a lot less bulky.

The second and final part of this Klingon arc is currently in production, but the company goes on hiatus after this Friday, the 17th, for two weeks. They will resume January 3, with three days left on "Divergence." After that, there will only be six more episodes to shoot in the season, finishing up principal photography in March.

"Affliction" was directed by Michael Grossman, who joined Enterprise last season with "Hatchery (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/4046.html)." Earlier this season he helmed the first part of the Vulcan arc, "The Forge (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/6775.html)." This is the fifth writing credit of the season for Sussman, on top of "Home," "The Augments (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/6712.html)," "Kir'Shara (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/7624.html)" and "Babel One (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/7949.html)."

"Affliction" is tentatively scheduled to air February 18, with "Divergence" the week after. Updates will appear in Episode Detail (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/8684.html).

The upcoming airdate schedule from UPN as we currently have it is as follows (subject, as always, to change): 12/17 Repeat of "Cold Station 12 (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/6652.html)"
12/24 Pre-empted*
12/31 Pre-empted*
01/07 Repeat of "The Augments"
01/14 "Daedalus (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/7752.html)"
01/21 "Observer Effect (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/7803.html)"
01/28 "Babel One"
02/04 "United (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/8230.html)"
02/11 "The Aenar (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/8432.html)"
02/18 "Affliction"
02/25 "Divergence"
03/04 Repeat TBD
03/11 Repeat TBD
03/18 Repeat TBD
*Two episodes from Season 3, "Countdown (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/4844.html)" and "Zero Hour (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/episode/4968.html)," will be available to UPN affiliates the weekends of 12/24 and 12/31, respectively, to air at a time of their choice. Check your local listings.

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I'm surprised they're going to do this now after the Augments issue almost brought it up and then passed. Hopefully it'll be good, I'm expecting a reasonable part 2 considering the authors.

Tycho
01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, new Star Trek started up again. I missed it Friday but caught it Sunday night.

It was about the guy who invented the transporter. His son was beamed to nowhere 15 years ago in one of his experiments, and he was misusing the mission to get him back.

Cool that Captain Archer went along with him in his obsession-driven mission.

However, the episode was sort of predictable, as Trek's done this before.

A surprise ending would have been having the son live, and diss the father for causing someone else to be killed in his rescue attempt - something like that. But the family and friendship loyalty story was good.

Archer and Trip's conflict over this was energy for the show - however I'm not sure it was realistic for the characters. Trip tends to worship Archer in spite of their friendship. Him questioning his command so much - well, it was engineering related, so...

OK. It was believeable, but you have to put too much thought into believeing it.

Next week "another alien virus causes the crew to act strange" looks to be another weaker episode. The stuff coming up after that with Andorians, Tellerites, and finally the mystery behind the Klingons looks to be awesome.

So while those shows cater to the fans, what do the virus-shows and transporter malfunction shows cater to? With as dangerous as Enterprise's ratings are (and there's another Save Enterprise campaign underway), why do they bother with sleeper shows? Why not instead of saving money on episodes, cut episodes and spend a little more on a limited amount of really good ones? - Or stretch the season longer into summer, running more re-runs while they consolidate their budget?

Umm-hmm-hmm. I'm done. Nevertheless, I was entertained by the episode "Daedalus" anyway. Maybe I answered my own question. I just prefer the Andorians and Klingons.

JediTricks
01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
This ep was boring and predictable, it's like they took an old TOS ep but shot it like Enterprise crapola making it overly dramatic and dim and from downward angles.

Tycho
01-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Last night's episode was very cool! For a nice homage to the TOS, they brought up the Organians! Very cool.

The bottle show - which is what it was since they saved tons of money by not having special effects - was really well executed. It showed off some talent by every member of the cast who thankfully had something to do. Hoshi was great, BTW, as were Reed and Mayweather playing possessed-by-aliens, along with the rest of the cast as they switched bodies.

It was a really cool message in the end with an uplifting theme about humanity that we need especially now in the real world of late.

This was hardly the best episode of Enterprise, but for a bottle-show, they were on the right track.

scruffziller
01-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Last night's episode was very cool! For a nice homage to the TOS, they brought up the Organians! Very cool.

The bottle show - which is what it was since they saved tons of money by not having special effects - was really well executed. It showed off some talent by every member of the cast who thankfully had something to do. Hoshi was great, BTW, as were Reed and Mayweather playing possessed-by-aliens, along with the rest of the cast as they switched bodies.

It was a really cool message in the end with an uplifting theme about humanity that we need especially now in the real world of late.

This was hardly the best episode of Enterprise, but for a bottle-show, they were on the right track.

Even though it may have been another rehash ep, the dialougue and emotion flow made it amazing. Good Job Folks!!!:cool:

Mandalorian Candidat
01-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Holy crap! Is this show still on? I forgot all about it cause it's in the black hole of TV...Friday night.

Tycho
01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
That's what VCRs were made for.

However, that does nothing for the show's Nielson ratings - and I don't even care to guess how Tivo works with Nielson families...

Star Trek rocks. Many people watch it still - just not on Friday nights and live (so advertisers know their commercials are either not being seen, or fast-forwarded through).

Some people have said this is the last season and the death of the show is imminent.

I hope that's not the case.

I'll write another letter or something...

JediTricks
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
The show is pretty much dead, the ratings are still declining (a lot of the fault there is on the lack of promotions, though the first 3 seasons don't help much either) and the actor who plays Phlox said that because of the poor ratings and the fact that they have 100 eps - the magic number for syndication - means they're pretty much toast.

This last ep was ok, I saw it being the Organians way early on and hoped it wouldn't be them since it didn't really seem in character with how they act later, but at least everybody had a role. I dunno, I just feel like what's the point of doing a prequel if everything you do gets forgotten?

Tonight is another new ep, I haven't watched it yet.

Tycho
01-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh dude! I taped it last night and just got through it this evening!

IT WAS AWESOME!

While it was very similar to Journey To Babel, (TOS), they did a nice job with the episode and you felt more interested in it because Shran was involved and I like him. (Jeff Combs plays great characters).

Others watch the show tepidly, waiting to pounce and scream if they violate Romulan continuity - which I totally doubt they will.

But I'll let the naysayers post now...

dr_evazan22
01-30-2005, 12:29 PM
I thought Fri's show was great! Can't wait for next weeks show, and the other's that Scruff posted about.

JediTricks
02-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Good ep, kept me engaged throughout. I didn't dig the Romulan ship looking like a sandcrab too much, and Archie sure doesn't lay on the diplomatic charm there, not even explaining to his "guests" why the armed guards are there for their protection rather than imprisonment, but the ep overall was entertaining and I felt really drawn in by the time the "To Be Continued" message came up (not 'The Best of Both Worlds pt 1' which had me so pent up that summer wondering how they were gonna make things right there, but that's a hard act to follow).

Lord Malakite
02-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Looks like season 4 will be Enterprise's last. Series finale is May 13th.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_04.shtml

Tycho
02-03-2005, 01:02 AM
The world is conspiring to really pis me off!

Let's see what went wrong here :rolleyes:

The Premise: We go back to the 22nd century for a show about man's early exploration of space once we have Warp5 capability.

We know that the Vulcans have already made first contact with us, and find us dangerous and thus uncharacteristically supervise our development, while humans resent that and dream up conspiracy theories against them.

(We have since learned that a rogue element in Vulcan High Command was Romulan influenced and was trying to control everything under the premise that what you can control will no longer frighten you).

We know that humans don't know what Romulans look like, and any contact they might have between ships or any conversations they might have, would be by voice transmission only.

There is supposed to be a Romulan-Earth war, and (perhaps in desperation because the phasers are knocked out) primative nuclear weapons will decide the outcome.

We know that Klingons had a war with earth (possibly closer to Kirk's era) and that First Contact with them was supposed to be disastrous. That word is open to interpretation - a farmer shot the first Klingon on earth, and that could be taken to be disastrous.

We know that Earth had a Starfleet prior to there being a Federation. But Telarites, Andorians, Vulcans, and Humans formed a NATO organization that later became the UN of outer-space, or the United Federation of Planets.

These things were supposed to happen on the show according to Trek history. There are some issues about when and how new technology would be implimented: transporters, phasers, photon torpedoes, replicators (not seen on Enterprise fortunately).

There were species that we aren't supposed to formally meet: Ferengi, Borg, Cardassians, the Dominion, the Q. (that has stayed true to cannon).

THE SEASONS:

Sn 1: A lot of get-to-know the crew episodes, and introduction of a cool story arc, the Temperol Cold War, which could be used to bring in other Trek characters and storylines, as well as timetravel, to give the shows more possibilities (like the Holodecks did for TNG / DS9/ Voyager. Some Klingon troubles were beginning to brew. The show did a lot of space-exploration, which it was supposed to do, pre-Prime Directive era, to establish a difference without the enlightened philosophy. - Pretty well accomplished.

Sn 2: The show groaned on. Romulan, Borg, and Ferengi stuff teased us, but much of it had been done before (aside from Trek beating Aliens vs. Predators to a storyline first). The Season was good, but the socio-political stuff some wanted to see more of could have picked up here.

Sn 3: Whoa! The Xindi? Came from where? Star Trek's answer to "Dooku's Separatist Council" or something. It was enjoyable as a Season by itself, having NOTHING to do with Star Trek except putting its crew through it. I truly though the episodes were enjoyable, but if I get "off topic" in these forums, B&B were off topic for a Star Trek prequel by lightyears and parsecs! If the show could have held its ratings and an audience of new and old fans alike through this, ok fine, why not do it? But Enterprise was never in a position to take such a gamble. It's ratings were never that high. TNG could have gotten away with it. Voyager actually did it - the Kazon factions etc. Enterprise didn't need to go there. Like I said, I did enjoy the episodes - but it was the wrong move that compounded the rest of the show's problems.

Sn 4: The show, in large part thanks to Manny Coto, is back on track and delivering some of the best episodes we always wanted to see as it converges on the formation of the Federation, and recurring characters like Shran have made it really enjoyable. But past decisions on the show had it relegated to Friday Nights and the ratings were plummeting and it was too late for the producers and staff to save the show. It now rests in the hands of hopeful fans from groups like SaveEnterprise.com to see if they can resurrect the show on CBS or Sci-Fi Channel before they destroy all the beautiful sets for the NX.

In retrospect, perhaps the Xindi did succeed in their plans to destroy Enterprise - all too well.

I wish the show would be continued!

Lord Malakite
02-03-2005, 08:41 AM
But past decisions on the show had it relegated to Friday Nights and the ratings were plummeting and it was too late for the producers and staff to save the show.
Of course its going to plummit in ratings being shown on Friday nights Tycho. Its competing with Sci-Fi's prime time Friday block "Sci-Fi Friday" consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and the "New" Battlestar Gallactica. Those are some heavy hitters to go up against.

Droid
02-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Wonder if the Sci-fi Channel would try to scoop up Bakula for its proposed Quantum Leap show. I really hope not. Quantum Leap was my favorite show and I wish they would leave well enough alone.

So much for William Shatner ever doing anything on Enterprise.

They really blew it. Entreprise should have been about showing us how the Original show came to be. Instead it was tangent after tangent. And I still say they are more advanced than the original show ever was. They failed to accept they had to be primitive. I think having a Vulcan on board really diminished how unique Spock's situation was supposed to have been. Showing the Borg and other races that shouldn't have come along until the Next Generation was a fiasco. Enterprise was a great idea, very poorly executed.

JediTricks
02-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I can't say I'm surprised, yet at least I think we all know exactly the last time we'll be watching UPN. ;)

To be honest, I'm with Droid there all the way, and I'd also expand upon all those great points by saying that the show's biggest fault was that it never understood or was able to capture the essence of The Original Series like it promised, instead creating yet another underwhelming Voyager. The only thing it appears to have done like TOS is get canceled after having its budget slashed for the last season.

Star Trek deserves better than hit-or-miss TV, subpar movies, and corporate stooges like Rick Berman at the wheel. Hopefully Paramount will eventually come to their senses and throw that guy out, create a whole new Star Trek series or movie series that delights us all, and eventually recapture lightning in a bottle. In the end, I am a tiny bit sorry to see it go but am also glad it's being put out if its misery.

LTBasker
02-04-2005, 10:25 PM
The ironic thing about the cancellation is that even I don't want it to end now.

They could've ended it for it's first 2.5 seasons and I would've been satisfied. Second half of season 3 to now? I WANT TO SEE IT THROUGH!

They need to get rid of Berman and Braga, their recent lack of power over the series has shown that but they still have a foot in the door. Paramount needs to slam the door harder on them not Ent. :D

Fluke Skywalker
02-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Enterprise lost me at the mid point never came back. I just wonder if this and the failure of ST Nemesis will be the death blow for the ST franchise? Even a Cockroach has to die sometime right?

"Khaaaaaaan!"

Tycho
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Well I hope you didn't miss an awesome episode last night!

mastermatt24
02-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah it was pretty good. Probably my favorite part was the scenes from the next episode when they took the helmit off the "puppet". I will be sad to see ST go, I've been a loyal watcher ever since I was little. I really kinda grew up with TNG and then SW came. ( :D )

scruffziller
02-06-2005, 06:13 AM
I am a tiny bit sorry to see it go but am also glad it's being put out if its misery.

I think you (as well as all of us) are more upset that it didn't become(or was) what it was suppose to be.

I wonder how they are ending it. If it will have a resolving ep or they will just cut it off.

They really blew it. Entreprise should have been about showing us how the Original show came to be. Instead it was tangent after tangent. And I still say they are more advanced than the original show ever was. They failed to accept they had to be primitive. I think having a Vulcan on board really diminished how unique Spock's situation was supposed to have been. Showing the Borg and other races that shouldn't have come along until the Next Generation was a fiasco. Enterprise was a great idea, very poorly executed.

Another perfect example as why most prequel stories are bunk. They try to make the history before the core story more interesting than it is suppose to be. That is why TOS, SW:ANH, Superman etc. series starts where it does. You start where the story really begins. In the process you mess up the continuity becaue you add/change things that are not suppose to be there. The nods to the "signs of things to come" are cute at best, u get a little bit of a chuckle but they aren't worth the damage it causes to the franchises.

JediTricks
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, Friday's ep was another good ep that kept me engaged throughout, I really wanted to know how they dealt with all this stuff and what had ramifications, it had very few weak spots (the biggest for me being the ridiculous acrobatics of the drone ship, that thing would tear itself apart doing all those maneuvers, and Trip & Reed would have been instant bags of oatmeal - of course, they should have kept flying super fast through space once they ejected, but in Star Trek space, everything coasts to a stop ;) Oh, and I audibly groaned when the Remans appeared on-screen). Yeah, I would have liked to see this series live up to its promise and be another good Trek rather than a Voyager/Insurrection/Nemesis, and now that it's finally starting to show an inkling of hope, it's too late (Voyager had the same thing yet somehow survived - I guess the show that launched the UPN network was an omen of things to come).

Tycho
02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Another good episode tonight. Stupid network cancelling this show!

I loved seeing Andoria and the Enars. Plus the Trek romance thing was revitalized in its traditional episodic form.

JediTricks
02-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm afraid I didn't feel it with this one, once again they took great build-up and squandered it here. We had this epic, galactic story building in parts 1 and 2, but part 3 was so thin and focused on these white andorians who really seemed to come out of nowhere and have no real defined group definition (I mean, are they only a few thousand weirdos living in the ice, or are they this massive society who can build these fabulous ice-cave cities?). And the pointless soap opera drama between Trip and T'pol was unwatchable for me, isn't this supposed to be as military as - if not moreso than - Kirk's Starfleet?

Tycho
02-18-2005, 11:07 PM
It was good tonight. Not especially great, but good.

It felt predictable and held-back.

I prefer the over-dramatised a lot of the time.

Section 31 pre-dating the Federation? Is that right? Possibly. I forgot THAT much of DS9 history.

Anyway, starting the Klingon Augment story-line was cool, logical, but predictable.

I'm glad they are finally doing it so there's a fictional universe explaination for cheap 1960's era makeup budgets. I'm not being sarcastic. I really am glad.

That's all.

Hopefully next week will be a 2nd part that's better than the first.

Turning Archer into a Klingon is an old trick - Picard was cloaked to fit in on Kronos, Sisko and Janeway were actually physically turned into Klingons....

Ah well - it's "new" when it's another actor I guess. That WAS sarcasm.

JediTricks
02-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I didn't like last night's ep, the directing didn't work for me, the plot was a jumbled mess, and the "reason" for TOS-era Klingons was absolute junk. The b-plot stuff with T'pol and Trip was straight out of soap-opera floatsam, and the c-plot with Reed and Section 31 was the worst. Honestly, this ep was so weak that I felt tempted to turn it off halfway and not tune in next week. I think Cotto's answer to the Klingon problem stinks and they should have gone to a better writer because this convoluted mess doesn't cut it for me even a little.

The only thing that was interesting in any way was James "Uncle Phil on Fresh Prince of Bel Air" Avery as the no-nonsense Klingon general.

BTW, yes, Section 31 went back this far according to DS9.

JediTricks
02-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh my goodness how I hated last night's episode. The writing was pretty weak, especially for the Reese-Stevenses, and the directing was AWFUL!!! I still don't understand why there would be active plasma relays behind the captain's chair on the bridge of the Columbia, and all that warp field stuff was really dopey. Section 31, lame and basically fruitless.

mastermatt24
02-26-2005, 06:23 PM
I still don't understand why there would be active plasma relays behind the captain's chair on the bridge of the Columbia, and all that warp field stuff was really dopey.
I laughed when I first saw them.. But im glad Columbia isnt the main ship becuase those lights would annoy the hell out of me. And the warp feild stuff was really lame, as was the animation..

Tycho
02-27-2005, 02:17 AM
I disagree and even think that the two ships together resembled Captain Picard's USS Stargazer! That was awesome.

The episode was great, too.

For Phlox, it was one of his best episodes!

Reed, too.

Sorry, but I'm going to watch that episode again on my tape!

Star Trek is back!

JediTricks
02-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah, the warp field effects were pretty weak, no better than the shield effects on the first season of TNG. Come to think of it, I thought a lot of the effects in that ep looked very sub-par actually.

My favorite part isn't just that there are those relays, it's that there's SO MANY of them! And where are they going anyway? That's the roof of the bridge, the very top of the ship, not a lot going on there.

Just from observation, I noticed that Columbia is a slightly more blue hue than Enterprise, and her deflector dish is way bigger than Ent's.

Star Trek is back? Star Trek is in reruns for another month and a half, then they'll mete out the last few eps and in the course of a month up until the finale in May. Star Trek is dead baby! :p

mastermatt24
02-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I thought a lot of the effects in that ep looked very sub-par actually.
Yeah- They are running out of monney fast. My dad works for Kodak and they used to shoot Enterprise on film but then they switched to video to cut costs, beings that they are towards the end Im sure their budget is really low.

Star Trek is dead baby! :p
LOL!!! that was sooo funny when I read that. But its so true.

scruffziller
02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I thought the shot of Trip climbing between the 2 ships was pretty mindblowing.

Well evidentily the mission of that Klingon doctor's producing artifical ridges for the Klingon people never got going until either about the time of ST:TMP or they found the cure by then. How long was it (in the ST story's years) from the last time we saw a Klingon on TOS to the time of TMP.

JediTricks
02-28-2005, 01:53 PM
matt, that's interesting to know about them switching to video, did that happen at the beginning of this season when their budget first got cut or more recently?

TOS ended in 2269, TMP was a mere 18 months later in 2271.

You know what else bugged me about the ep? After Trip makes his warp-spacewalk, the Columbia ends up pulling the entire tether system, including it's multiple-deck-long spaceframe anchor, out of the ship - shouldn't this have caused at least some structural damage, a twisting of the superstructure, something that would at least give them a little trouble in repairing?

mastermatt24
03-01-2005, 10:40 PM
matt, that's interesting to know about them switching to video, did that happen at the beginning of this season when their budget first got cut or more recently?

Actually they started it around the 3rd/4th season. They were just going to do it all from the begining in video but my dad along with a few others were able to get the to use film. Too bad I wasnt on the fourms a couple years ago- I had A LOT of info about Enterprise before it came out.( My dad knows some of the producers :crazed: )
My dad also helps out a lot of other shows like CSI (Both of them) NYPD Blue, Joan of Arcadia just to name a few. He also knew the Voyager cast and crew. (I have a couple of autographed pics- he wasnt able to get to many because its kinda hard when you're there for business)

JediTricks
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Cool! I guess I'm not surprised then at that timeframe for the film/video switchover.

There are actually 3 CSI shows now, but the newest one kinda stinks. :p

mastermatt24
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Yea- I forgot about the NY one... He hasnt worked on it as far as I know.

scruffziller
03-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I still don't understand why there would be active plasma relays behind the captain's chair on the bridge of the Columbia.
The first thing that entered my mind was.......I would not want to be on the bridge during a battle with those conduits near.:D Cochrane would reach down out of heaven and slap the designer silly.

Also check out this news from startrek.com.

New Twist in the Save Enterprise Campaign

UPDATED 3/4/05:

In yet another twist in the ongoing saga of trying to save Enterprise from the TV scrap heap, it has recently been announced that an anonymous contribution of $3 million by members of the commercial space flight industry has been pledged towards the campaign to keep the show going at least one more year. TrekUnited head Tim Brazeal says that this generosity is overwhelming. "We believe that Enterprise deserves a future," he says.

The benefactors' statement on SaveEnterprise.com says that the people responsible for airing this kind of television have a responsibility: inspiration. They go on to note that at least 50% of all the entrepreneurs in this industry have been inspired by Star Trek. Under the terms of the TrekUnited charter, the money pledged will go towards anything that will guarantee a fifth season of the show. However, it is still unclear whether any amount of money will bring the show back. Production is currently scheduled to finish next Tuesday, March 8.

mastermatt24
03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Wow... Very interesting.. I wonder whats going to happen.

JediTricks
03-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Cochrane would reach down out of heaven and slap the designer silly.Cochrane isn't dead, he's on a planetoid in deep space, where he'll live for another 100 years with the Companion. :p

I heard about the money, it would carry the show 6 episodes all by itself, how sad is that? It won't do any good I bet though.

scruffziller
03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Cochrane isn't dead, he's on a planetoid in deep space, where he'll live for another 100 years with the Companion. :p

Okay, he would send The Campanion to open a can of "you know what"......:D

scruffziller
03-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Well it appears Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes are going to be on the finale after all playing their Next Gen roles. It says it will NOT involve time travel and will involve the holodeck. I smell an ending of NEWHART abroad.

Hellboy
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
So does anyone actually know how many episodes we have left until the finale? Seems like UPN has been running repeats forever now and I thought we'd have at least 3 or 4 more episodes before the series wraps up in May but at this rate I'm not so sure anymore. :confused:

Tycho
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
There are 4-5 more. I think on the series finale night, there will be 2 new episodes back-to-back.

StarTrek.com has the details. Click on over to the official site. They list the dates the shows will air and some minor details about the stories involved with each new episode.

The first one is April 15 I believe. There will be no reruns from that point on until the series ends.

mastermatt24
03-29-2005, 05:44 PM
How Sad :( ... Both Star Wars (no more movies) and Star Trek are really going bye-bye. :cry:

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Rumor has it that Shatner went over Berman's head and pitched a new Trek series to Paramount directly.

scruffziller
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Rumor has it that Shatner went over Berman's head and pitched a new Trek series to Paramount directly.

That sounds like a smart move. Maybe we will get a show that will last more than 4 years again.

mastermatt24
03-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Thats an interesting rumor.. Hope it comes true

JediTricks
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Tonight's a new ep, but this is very important...
Here in LA, UPN is showing a baseball game at 8pm, thus pre-empting Enterprise. However, they are airing the ep tonight at 12:30am, so I strongly suggest that no matter where you live if you want to catch this ep check online TV listings to verify when to watch. I use tv.yahoo.com, tvguide.com also has listings as do a few other places.

Tycho
04-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Well tonight's episode was fun.

It was pretty predictable though. But fun is all entertainment is supposed to be.

Now I'm wondering if women run the Orion Syndicate as it's portrayed on Deep Space Nine?

If so, all of Starfleet Intelligence's undercover work never even got close.

And you'd hoped they'd use Vulcan agents to get to the highest-ups in the organization.

mastermatt24
04-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I missed it!!! :frus: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Can someone post a summary plz?

Tycho
04-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Green Orion slave girls wearing barely any clothing were given to Captain Archer as gifts for peaceful relations with the Orion Syndicate.

They were supposed to be the slaves, but we learned that the men were actually slaves to the women who controlled the men by pheramones (scents) and seduction. (This would have been great if they were on cable and could have done totally gatuitous softcore scenes).

The women caused disruptions on the ships with the male crew members fighting over them while it was suggested that they slept with "at least 6 crew members or something!" (loved it - sluts are great aren't they?)

Anyway, Trip was trying to control engineering where his top guy resented him because he thought he'd be chief engineer - if Trip wasn't staying.

Trip ended up being the hero because he's psychically linked to T'Pol because they were "doing it," and that's part of Vulcan love-bonding. It makes Trip more logical and immune to other women's charms while he can't get T'Pol out of his head. (Amazing for Trip...well anyway...)

Trip shot most of the crew with stun blasts (including Captain Archer) when he took over the ship to save it from capture by the Orion Syndicate who wants Archer with a bounty on his head "for stealing slaves" (when they freed T'Pol and other crew members who were "paid for" in Borderland - one of the Augment episodes with Soong earlier this season.

Anyway, the totally gratuitous T&A shots were about a 7 or an 8. I prefer the way they've done it with strippers etc. on The Shield. I also find I'm attracted to BLUE women more than Green ones. These girls couldn't touch Mystique or Aayla Secura, but the contest would be closer than you'd think.

Well the show was predictable and almost forgettable (not quite, as there's this part of my memory that logs T&A shows...) but this would have worked better if they were on F/X or HBO and could have gone softcore with the episode. Pheramones was just the excuse for a sci-fi bit since they couldn't show "in-your-face" outright sensual seduction that would be believeable in terms of modern television and what we've been desensitized to, thanks to cable. However, for network TV, the "oldest ploy in the book" worked OK for desperate times for Enterprise.

I'm glad they did it.

mastermatt24
04-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Ok thanks for the summary, although I didnt read it.. :D
after watching America's Most Wanted I switched back to SW and at the end they said something about ST Saturday at five.. Hope thats it. If not Ill read the summary, thanks though.

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Friday's ep started really average I thought, the girls weren't dressed Star Trek-y (clothes that show some skin and seem like they could fall off and show way more) they were just barely dressed bikini bimbos. The first 2/3rds played out very standard for Enterprise, but then the last 1/3rd actually turned into a good episode with a twist that may or may not have been a commentary on our society and not 1 but 2 TOS-style endings with actual humor and creativity! I wish the explanation for the Orion slave girls having that much power had been pheremones combined with low-level psychic activity which would have made more sense for Trip's immunity, but oh well. One thing I did notice though is that something about the way they were shooting made everybody's skin look awful, accenting every flaw, it was really weird.

Next week's Mirror-Mirror style ep features the TOS Defiant, I can't imagine how they're going to deal with this change. They should have put eps like that on early in the season to drum up interest instead of stunt casting and multi-ep arcs.

mastermatt24
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Green... blue... I dont care!! I want one! Damn that string coming from the "bikini" gets me every time.. If only aayla could have that.. :crazed:
Hey JT- we need a :drooling: smiley face! :D

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised to not see anybody talking about this ep. I know why Tycho isn't, he missed it due to Celebration 3, otherwise he'd be saying something inappropriate about mirror Hoshi barely wearing any clothes. ;) (To be fair, she looked way better in that midriff uniform than T'pol did even though T'pol is supposed to be the show-hotty.) I was surprised that we had no "regular universe" interaction at all, this is the first mirror-only ep I have ever seen, but it was pretty entertaining. The crew's evilness wandered a little too much, but when it was on it was really on. Seeing a Tholian was cool, they were able to use the exact look from TOS yet give it an actual body too. Seeing the TOS-era ship, how the story tied in with that TOS ep, that was great stuff and all I could think was that if they had trotted out this ep in the beginning of the series they probably would have had a full 7-year run (but they would have had to stay true to the TOS look the way they are doing now, it's so much more exciting than the Enterprise look). I am not sure if the ep being a cliffhanger is what I wanted, but at least it'll be all about the TOS-era Defiant now.

Tycho
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I just watched it and it was AWESOME!

You're right JT: I was in Indianapolis when it aired. I'd taped it though, along with Smallville from the previous Wednesday when I was out at dinner with Steve when that show aired.

While I'm sure I could post a bunch of inappropriate things I'd like to say about Enterprise's mirror universe mid-riff sporting hotties, I'm going to save myself some time editing that and just say I'd vote for T'Pol. She wore her pants really low on her hips and that one shot of her in Engineering was like "whoa!" (things you would have had to edit from my post go here....)

The Defiant looked sweet. I wonder if the Mirror Universe contact history had anything to do with a time loop. Doubt it - I think they would have invented the TOS look in either universes' future anyway.

Did you guys notice the opening credits of the show? That was very cool and unexpected. A nice touch. I'm surprised no one mentioned that.

I also liked the start of the show with Zephram Cochrane shooting the Vulcans. A little change from First Contact.

I wonder what the Borg are like in the alternate universe?

"Individuality is paramount. Resistance is required." - I don't think "the opposite" of the Borg collective could exist in the Mirror Universe. The only thing I can think of is that they would be a bio-engineered collection of super-soldiers that have altered themselves to FREE other races from conquest (like from the Terran Empire). That would be wild to see the "Anti-Borg."

mastermatt24
05-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Im kinda torn if I like these episodes or not. I do like the new begining but some of it is just plain cheap, I did really like seeing Enterprise come up and then fire on the moon ( :D !!). Im disappointed that this is how Star Trek is going to end... i

scruffziller
05-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Yea these eps were a breath of fresh air. I have always found out that a story is only as good as its villian(s). And the Enterprise crew is EEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVIL!!!!!!:D

What is weird is that even though they brought in the EXACT look and functionability of TOS ship to the show, they did it in a way through context and crew comments.....it didn't seem out of place for the future like I thought it would.

Tycho
05-01-2005, 01:54 PM
This morning I got the Enterprise Season 1 DVDs!

I haven't checked them out yet, but it's awesome to have them so maybe I won't go through too much withdrawal when they take the show off the air.

I've been watching all TOS series movies lately. I love Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and think it's totally underrated.

I've got Star Trek V : The Final Frontier on right now, and I have to say I really enjoy that film as well. The comraderie between the ship's crew is priceless and the one-liners are great!

I think I'm into my "film viewing phase" and after I watch the TOS films I'm going to view TNG "Unification" and then Generations and all the TNG films.

Star Trek's had a long rich and healthy life. It'll be back. I hope they'll do a mini-series or a movie with Captain Archer & crew myself. I'll totally miss Trip and T'Pol and Porthos, myself.

JediTricks
05-01-2005, 04:04 PM
What is weird is that even though they brought in the EXACT look and functionability of TOS ship to the show, they did it in a way through context and crew comments.....it didn't seem out of place for the future like I thought it would.Well, not fully exact, the comms had a different sound. ;) I felt that the TOS ship was far more exciting and Star Treky here than anything they had done on the series up until now, the costumes were over the top, but the ship and its sound effects and the way the visual effects were handled made me wish they had gone a similar route from day 1 instead of trying to look more advanced than VOY.

This ep was OK, I thought Phlox's sabotage would have been a little more effective than just "pulled the plug", I expected a bomb or something that would have destroyed the ship at the last second thus making more sense as to why the mirror universe isn't more advanced than the TOS universe when Kirk visits. Hoshi's deception was pretty nifty though, fit perfectly with the mirror universe style.

One thing I think worked much better for this 2-parter was that unlike nearly all other ENT eps, this one allowed the actors to play it to the rafters and chew the scenery, it felt more Shakespearean - something TOS thrived on, characters who played big to get the job done, buried some of their feelings to accomodate the job, which ENT has never done. Also, this mirror universe ep wasn't so intimate with the characters, we didn't get up in their faces with the camera until halfway through the second ep (which is possibly why I didn't like that ep as much, too much of being over Archer's shoulder and big fat reaction shots of his face).

The Gorn was probably the most disappointing of all, the CGI wasn't convincing and felt even cheaper than the crappy rubber mask alien of TOS, still at least it was remarkably violent, taking out redshirts left and right. :D

Finally, one thing as a Trek fan that bothered me, the space battle writing got lazy too quickly, the TOS-era ships lacked rear-facing weapons which made Kirk's job a little more difficult at times (thought often TOS writers got lazy too and just ensured enemies ahead of the ship ;)). Having the shields and weapons be stronger made sense by itself, but I guess the writers of this ep HAD to put weapons on the aft of the Defiant because the ENT creators like idiots made the NX-01 far more advanced than the TOS ships in that respect.

mastermatt24
05-02-2005, 12:18 AM
This ep was OK, I thought Phlox's sabotage would have been a little more effective than just "pulled the plug"

The Gorn was probably the most disappointing of all, the CGI wasn't convincing and felt even cheaper than the crappy rubber mask alien of TOS, still at least it was remarkably violent, taking out redshirts left and right. :D

I thought that that was really lame how Phlox pulled them out and trip just put them back in. Why would anyone fire on a ship when you can beam in pull a few bars out and totally cut off power to the entire ship?
And like I said before- they are running out of money.. these last three episodes are gonna be really lame when it comes to CG.
I cant believe you guys like these episodes so much :ermm:

Tycho
05-06-2005, 11:09 PM
What an awesome episode tonight!

It totally involved my favorite character Trip and had some passion to his fight and his romance with T'Pol and it was well acted with a great cast.

Travis got something to do (or someone :D ) and the show really set up a powerful premise.

Next week is 2 hours? Whoa! I can't wait to see what they do on the show. I saw the preview with Riker and Troi and I understand why this is silly. Enterprise is strong enough to stand on its own without the TNG crew coming into the fray.

Boy am I glad I bought the DVDs. I will never have to miss this show now that I can play episodes over and over again.

JediTricks
05-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Wow, was this ever a waste of my hour. LeVar Burton generally directs poorly, and unfortunately this was some of his worst work with a slipshod, go-nowhere script that suited it perfectly. Nothing really happened here, it was all set up and wait, set up and wait. And it was stupid, T'Pol, an alien who wouldn't be able to infiltrate the evil Terra Prime, and Tucker, famous enough that he made all the news after the Xindi event, are the ONLY ones to go into the mining colony? Visiting Travis's fake previous love life over and over with just endless empty chatter until it was time for "the evil plot" to kick in? The formation of the Federation being a boring trade discussion (didn't we learn from prequel failures in this department re: The Phantom Menace?)? The mining colony that not only can FLY but can somehow go to warp speed? "She took pills for no-gravity environments" such as... where? The weak-arse Col Green reference that meant nothing at all and was from one of Trek's worst eps, the unhappiness with the minister not mentioning Enterprise, the Mars laser that got to the moon instantly and made a big hole that really had no big deal to anybody, the list goes on. Not one thing here existed except to set up a story that we won't get for another week. Peter Weller was mostly wasted here, monotone and bland and anticharismatic, flat and 1-dimensional, though at least half a dimension less flat than his followers. This episode was total junk.

Tycho
05-07-2005, 02:46 AM
JediTricks, your biggest problem is that you have a lot of difficulty being entertained.

Sure, if I have no taste, no culturing, and no sense of sophistocation (all which isn't true) I still have a good time and find entertainment.

You should try it. If this episode did nothing for you, than likely all of Disneyland couldn't do anything for you either.

Honestly, I wish you well: just be entertained - try being easier to please for starters.

Tonight's show was great. Sorry you missed it.

mastermatt24
05-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Sorry Tycho- Im with JT on this one. It was "entertaning" but it wasnt very good. I thought it was all over the place.. What happened to the paralled universe? (I thought maybe thats were the baby was from) Like I predicted the CG was really really lame- even the sets were, like when Reed went to NY, I was laughing!! I have to say that star trek ending will be bitter-sweet for me for many reasons.
A show that I WILL miss is Third Watch. :( :cry: I really really liked the show, but they wrapped it up very good. My dad is going to try to find out why it went off.

JediTricks
05-09-2005, 06:37 PM
JediTricks, your biggest problem is that you have a lot of difficulty being entertained.... You should try it. If this episode did nothing for you, than likely all of Disneyland couldn't do anything for you either.Way to go Tycho, you just buried yourself. :D Up until I could no longer afford to go in '03 or so, I had Disneyland annual passes almost every year from 1987 on, there isn't a single attraction there I haven't been on except for the taxi, firetruck, and double-decker bus that run down Main Street, and Goofy's Bounce House because unfortunately it was built after I was too old to go in it, I actively mourned the loss of the Submarine ride and the sky cups and Big Thunder BBQ, and even sorta miss the Motor Boat Cruise (the Autopia in the water without steering or bumping :p). I've enjoyed nearly every attraction there too, when I was a kid my favorites were the Journey Through Innerspace and the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (both of which are long gone, the Monsanto Innerspace ride is now Star Tours so that was a trade up, the Treehouse is now Tarzan's Treehouse which I don't really care about). Hell, I even miss the Country Bear Jamboree, they didn't change the show enough but it was a fun theme. So I know what entertainment is, I just don't need to lower my standards to accept sub-quality entertainment - speaking of which, I loathe Disney's California Adventure and refuse to go even when it's free. Try having a discerning taste instead of just accepting whatever garbage they push in front of you, making excuses won't make Trek any better, only holding Paramount accountable for the way they've mishandled the franchise will.

Matt, I think 3rd Watch was canned because of ratings, the show was canned 3 years ago but saved at the last minute I suspect only because NBC had nothing to fill the timeslot. ;)

Tycho
05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Wow! JT you're a Disneyland conaisseur! I usually go once or twice a year, including maybe this June my girlfriend and some friends of ours may be going. I'll pay your admission if you'll be our tour guide. You've been places in Disney that I've somehow missed. Seeing that stuff again could make the whole park fun all over again!

(I too miss the yellow submarine).

There's still a great BBQ restaurant in Frontierland (or it's Adventure Land - not sure, just know where to find it, and it's not too far from Big Thunder Mountain.

I like the New Orleans Cafe that's outside by where they perform Fantasia, and though it's expensive, the Beyou restaurant inside Pirates of the Carribean is nice if you make reservations early enough so it doesn't ruin your day just waiting in line to eat.

Disney's fast passes work better than Six Flags too it seems. I also go to Magic Mountain about twice a year.

But we're going to be going to Universal Studios too since it's often neglected on our theme park tour list. (Did Knotts Berry Farm a few months ago. Go Ghostrider!)

JediTricks
05-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Wow! JT you're a Disneyland conaisseur! I usually go once or twice a year, including maybe this June my girlfriend and some friends of ours may be going. I'll pay your admission if you'll be our tour guide. You've been places in Disney that I've somehow missed. Seeing that stuff again could make the whole park fun all over again!That's a bold claim, it's expensive to get into the park these days. :greedy: July 17th is the park's actual 50th birthday, that'd be a good day to go, I have a party had from July 17th 2000 (the 45th) that they gave out, it's on my wall next to my New Years top hat with Mickey ears.

There's still a great BBQ restaurant in Frontierland (or it's Adventure Land - not sure, just know where to find it, and it's not too far from Big Thunder Mountain. It's in Frontierland directly next to Big Thunder, "Rancho del Zocalo", but I don't like it as much, the food isn't as good and it doesn't have the great theme atmosphere that the Big Thunder BBQ had.

I like the New Orleans Cafe that's outside by where they perform Fantasia, and though it's expensive, the Beyou restaurant inside Pirates of the Carribean is nice if you make reservations early enough so it doesn't ruin your day just waiting in line to eat. You mean Cafe Orleans, the small sandwich place, or French Market with more food and live jazz? I've been going to French Market all my life, getting Mint Juleps and apple fritters at the Julep bar near the back, but I've never successfully eaten at Cafe Orleans. There's also Royal Street Veranda next to the Pirates, it has awesome gumbo in bread bowls, we occasionally would buy the bowls and feed them to the ducks at the Hungry Bear restaurant which has waterfront tables downstairs. As for the Blue Bayou, it's been one of my favorites for years, in the off-season I can get in at water's edge in under 15 minutes, no reservations required. Also, for viewing Fantasmic, the art gallery upstairs from the Pirates has a limited number of seats with all you can eat desserts and drinks, it's $75 a seat when I was last there and you have to buy tix before the park opens, but for Fantasmic and the fireworks afterwards, it's an amazing view.

Disney's fast passes work better than Six Flags too it seems. I also go to Magic Mountain about twice a year. I've never successfully used Fast Pass, the only time I had one the ride closed prematurely. I don't do Magic Mountain, it's too much of a gang problem and the lines have always been ridiculously long.

But we're going to be going to Universal Studios too since it's often neglected on our theme park tour list. (Did Knotts Berry Farm a few months ago. Go Ghostrider!)I don't do Knotts anymore ever since I found out they were bought by an anti-semetic group.

Tycho
05-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I can afford to take you to Disneyland. I set aside money to do nice things for my friends. I don't know about July 17th for the exact date. I think that could be ok. Comic Con is later that week if I'm not mistaken. I'm now wondering if Steve could come out early and join us as well. SirStevesGuidetoDisneyland?

Anyway, Anti-Semetic Group bought Knott's? I guess the two things are not really related, right? That doesn't make sense: "let's raise money for the Neo-Nazi Party. Anyone have any ideas? Yes - you there?" ' Let's buy a theme park! ' (ALL) "Hail Hitler!" You'd think that fringe groups wouldn't have enough money to do something like that. Next thing you know, the Taliban will buy the Wild Animal Park :rolleyes:

But who owns Knott's and why are they considered anti-semetic?

JediTricks
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I didn't want to overrun this thread, so I'll send you a PM. Comic-con is the 14th-17th though, so no way you and Steve could make that, I had totally forgotten. I dunno how much Steve likes Disneyland though, when he went with Thrawn to Disney World, Steve didn't really seem to dig it that much apparently and didn't show much interest in Star Tours (which blew Thrawn's socks off).

BTW, I'll retract that anti-semitism claim, I was misinformed, and a company bought Knotts Berry Farm in '97 that has no such ties. Walter Knott did co-invent the boysenberry though. :D

mastermatt24
05-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Comic-con is the 14th-17th though
Is that July? :confused:

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Is that July? :confused:
Yes it is.

BTW, I split off the posts about Star Wars and themeparks into its own thread, the system gave it this ENT thread's old URL so you can find that themepark thread here: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=28274

mastermatt24
05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Frick. Thats no good.. Ill be in Alaska... :neutral:
Guess no Comic Con for me. :(
Tycho/JT could one of you snag me a Leia?

Tycho
05-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Alaska? Please explain. It sounds interesting.

Interesting would be understating the end of Star Trek Enterprise.

Trip died saving the Captain's life, true. But it was no huge Xindi attack or the Klingon War or Romulan War.

It was a kidnapping errand for Shran (a good cause for an episode, but not a death scene).

Some kind of resolution like when Kirk discussed his son's death in saving Spock with Sarek would have been in order, the discussion between Archer and Shran though.

Riker's mission with the Pegasus was an obscure backdrop to put him in a holodeck fantasy with all of this. I didn't think they needed the Next Gen cast at all - and if they used them, they could have made it a more shocking ordeal - like during the Borg crisis when Riker begged StarFleet for the chance to rescue Picard though it risked the ship and crew (during Best of Both Worlds) or some other "Riker's Choice issue show."

The ending with all the ships was nice with the captains' voice-over homages, but there could have been much more.

First they didn't need to kill Trip. Second, they could've taken him out with the stakes higher - like trying to save Archer and T'Pol during "Terra Prime" - which could've been folded into a huge 2 hour episode with all the stuff included from that - and even (as unnecessary as it was - Riker's choice).

I didn't hate it, but I take issue with it not being as good as it could've been.

Instead of the care put into "All Good Things," What You Leave Behind, and "End Game," this one didn't go out as gloriously as it could've.

I still love the show and am glad I'm buying the DVD's to continue to hang out with this crew I've grown fond of.

Trip will really be missed.

MaquisWarrior
05-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Being a Maquis I am gald this Federation $#!% is finally off the air. My fav episode was "Terra Prime" although Clarence Boddicker was no where to be found. In fact the Head Vulcan killed Veronica Mars best friend (oh wait that was someone else). My second fav epidose (ZZZZ) wa swhen Hiroshi lost her shirt crawling through the air vent! YEASSSSSSSS!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Lame episode. Kind of fitting that the series ended this way...with a whimper.

Having Frakes and Troi in the episode was just crap. Another gimmick to "improve" an uninteresting series. Frakes looks like he has the Shatner Syndrome (bloated look and bad hair) and Troi is looking long in the tooth. Pretty funny that they did a past episode of TNG with them looking the way they did.

Peter Weller..what's up with him. He's looking really old.

Droid
05-15-2005, 12:28 PM
What a fiasco that was. I admit that I wasn't much of an Enterprise fan, but I tuned in to see what they were going to do with Riker and Troi. And I came away thinking that it was really a slap in the face to make the last episode of Enterprise some sort of a "don't you remember how great Next Generation was" homage. Yes, I like Next Generation more than Enterprise, but for those who watched all four years of Enterprise they deserved an ENTERPIRSE send-off.

Riker and Troi looked absurd playing their Next Generation selves. It would have made so much more sense to just have Riker being Captain Riker, with Troi his wife, on his new ship, with some more interesting reason to watch the last mission of the Enterpirse crew, kind of like when Sulu was on Voyager.

It was nice to hear Data though. I am still incredibly bitter about Data's death.

Which brings me to death. Why does Star Trek always feel the need to kill someone at the very end? Is it that they can't write something that will have emotional weight unless they take the easy route of killing someone?

There was no reason to kill Kirk in Generations. There was no reason to kill Data in Nemesis. There was no reason to kill Trip. If you don't have the airtime to show the impact of someone's death, don't do it. Just let them enjoy the end of the adventure. I much preferred everyone sailing off into the stars in Undiscovered Country than Kirk's stupid death in Generations.

Does everyone really think Riker would be able to listen to Archer and T'Pol's PRIVATE conversation? That was recorded for posterity?

Everyone always complained Archer was no Kirk. Well this episode made him into one. In Wrath of Khan Spock ultimately died because Kirk didn't follow protocol and raise shields. Well Trip died because Archer got side-tracked on some personal mission that they never should have gone on. And what was with those people that invaded the ship? The Enterprise is this great ship and they can just board it that easily? And Archer and Trip run off to confront the intruders without weapons? Why not just cut off life support to the section of the ship with the intruders? Trip's death seemed so pointless. I'm with Tycho. They should have put it in a situation with more weight, and not one where it was pretty much Archer's fault.

I liked the different captains giving the "Space, the final frontier" speech, but at first I thought they were going to just have Picard do all of it, which would have been an insult to Enterprise. It was neat seeing the Original Series Enterprise.

Oh well, a subpar ending to a fairly subpar show. Wonder how long it will be before Star Trek is back in some form or another. As much as I hate to say it, I think the franchise is kind of worn out.

Ji'dai
05-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, my first exposure to Enterprise was the two hour series finale. I agree with what's been said about the episodes, but I'd still like to go back and see the rest of the series. Hopefully Enterprise will be picked up by one of the cable channels for syndication. Spike TV airs four hours of Trek nearly every day as it is.

The Riker and Troi guest shot was just not believeable due to how they've aged. The episode about the Pegasus was what, over ten years ago? Riker looked more like his future self in TNG's "All Good Things" than Picard's first officer.

Man, T'Pol is one hot Vulcan! It's her lips. Mmm.

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry Matt, I have no idea if I'll be going to Comiccon or not at this point, I just got super broke.

As for the last 2 eps, Terra Prime 2 was better than part 1, but still had some head-scratchers. I especially hated the bullcrap with Archie & co busting in on Weller, phasering one guy but not Weller, so he could make the big end-scene battle. That was totally unnecessary, sloppy BS that I see on TV far too often and always makes me mad. And I was surprised that Mayweather's girlfriend turned out even more boring and useless in this ep despite a MASSIVE change in angle for her, "I work for Starfleet Intelligence, so I'm just gonna sit in this little room and not help out while Starfleet gets shot at", talk about Go Nowhere Do Nothing! And that weepy ending when the "daughter" died, that got over the top, at first it was solid and then it just went too far.

The actual finale, which felt lifted from the Babylon 5 finale(s), really left me cold as it was the most hollow, pointless, needless finales of all Trekdom. Riker and Troi's part was odd, especially how Troi seemed to know all about the program and how Riker could learn from it, but then said she had never played it, and both had aged too much to be passable for that Pegasus episode. And what kind of a silly twist was this "chef" stuff? Or Shran's part being some cheap petty criminal junk that made little sense and didn't fit with his character? The whole thing just felt so empty, especially Trip's pointless deus ex machina death, the bad guy ship that wasn't supposed to be able to catch up did, they didn't see the ship coming, they didn't see the ship fire on them, these baddies somehow beamed onto the ship in mid-warp, and there were no security teams showing up on the scene even though they had been on the ship for at least 5 minutes?!? And what did Riker learn really? Archer and Trip didn't disobey orders for the greater good, they just seemed to do so because of lazy writing, Trip could have used a trick that would have saved his life by keeping him off the floor so they got electrocuted like they NORMALLY would but because it was the finale they had to make a point?

Does everyone really think Riker would be able to listen to Archer and T'Pol's PRIVATE conversation? That was recorded for posterity? Excellent point, same thing with these Chef discussions. Maybe it's an extrapolation, in which case it only adds to my "why should I care?" feeling.

I am still incredibly bitter about Data's death. You and me both.

mastermatt24
05-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Man, T'Pol is one hot Vulcan! It's her lips. Mmm.
I think they should cut her off above the nose and replace it with hoshi's head. That would make it just right. I HATE(!!!!!) that wig that she wears....

Sorry Matt, I have no idea if I'll be going to Comiccon or not at this point, I just got super broke.

Aww, that sucks. Thanks anyways.

Ji'dai
05-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I think they should cut her off above the nose and replace it with hoshi's head. That would make it just right. I HATE(!!!!!) that wig that she wears....

I dunno, I like the total package, hair and all. T'Pol's wig isn't as bad as the 24th C. Romulan hairstyle.

Does everyone really think Riker would be able to listen to Archer and T'Pol's PRIVATE conversation? That was recorded for posterity?

Geordi was able to recreate one of the Enterprise-D designers on the holodeck and used her recorded public appearances and mannerisms to 'tweak' her so the reproduction had a more warmer, informal personality. I'm sure personal logs and crew autobiographies are also used to create the program. So JT is probably right about the extrapolation. Still, Riker's need to overhear this conversation is really irrelevant to his dilemma.

Tycho
05-15-2005, 11:50 PM
One of my Star Wars buddies came over today for what was supposed to be a small-screen screening of all 5 films in a Star Wars movie marathon.

We talked for forever about Star Wars and SW books and possibilities for the TV show, etc. We were going to end up starting the movie marathon later than we wanted to.

I also just couldn't stand to watch them all. I felt like maybe Empire-Return of the Jedi, or maybe Attack of the Clones, but I wasn't in the mood for the character intro-movies. While we pondered that, I suggested he at least look at Trek - as we'd been discussing its cancellation and how successful sci-fi, Star Wars or not would be on the small screen.

He loved Broken Bow and we ended up watching Disc One - and he plans on coming over a lot to watch the entire series with me.

He had loosely followed TNG and Voyager on and off. I'm not spoiling Enterprise for him, but he's started asking:

"When are they going to get into a war with the Klingons? - Is this the incident that caused it?"

Will he be disappointed? I don't know. I'm not going to tell him what's coming in episodes he hasn't seen, but I'll let you know if he tires of it, or how he reacts. He already likes Captain Archer and Trip as characters. He thinks the Doctor is also interesting, as is Malcolm Reed and Hoshi.

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Just a nitpick, but what kind of lame silliness was it to have Archer's dress uniform be a friggin' jumpsuit?

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Also, I just realized how unfulfilled I feel about Ent leaving without at least touching on the whole Temporal Cold War thing.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-17-2005, 12:05 PM
It was nice to hear Data though. I am still incredibly bitter about Data's death.

Holy crap! I did not know that. Never got around to seeing it. I figured it would blow like the other TNG movies.

Huh. Another reason to get rid of Berman and Co.

I just blew off most of this season due to the time change and general disinterest. Did they ever do anything about showing how the Federation/Earth goes to war with the Klingons? Hey, did they even bring up that whole thing about why in TOS the Klingons all look like bad asian actors and then in TNG they are different in appearance?

Tycho
05-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Also, I just realized how unfulfilled I feel about Ent leaving without at least touching on the whole Temporal Cold War thing.

I agree.

Did they ever do anything about showing how the Federation/Earth goes to war with the Klingons?

No. That may have happened in between the Terra Prime and the episode just prior to that. 6 years of voyages are missing now that the show's been cancelled and they said that Terra Prime and the finale are 10 years after Broken Bow.

Or that may have happened later. As I understand Trek EU history (the part that's supposedly counting):

Enterprise 1701 was 1st Captained by Robert April. George Samuel Kirk was a Lt. or jr. officer on that ship and a hero of some sort. Helps to explain why years later, James T. Kirk got to command that ship - and at only age 29 - the youngest captain ever.

Then the Enterprise went to Christopher Pike. Spock began serving on the ship. The Talosian mission happened here.

Meanwhile, there was an attack on the USS Farragut - Kirk's ship that young Jim was assigned to. It happened during false peace talks at Axanar. The Klingons led them into a trap and killed the captain. Kirk and Gary Mitchell survived, amongst maybe some others. Sympathy for him, rewards for his courage that saved his crew, etc. - plus his father's legacy on the Enterprise brought him the 1701.

Did they explain the Klingons' foreheads and why they looked as they did in the TOS?

Yes. Dr. Soong (an ancestor of Data's creator) tried to perfect Augments (genetically enhanced experimental embroyos left in deep freeze from Khan's era and the Eugenics Wars).

In 1996 there was the Eugenics Wars and Khan fled in a sleeper ship into exile.

In 2100-?? Dr. Soong found cell cloning experiments on super-humans and sought to perfect them and advance science against all laws and reason. He thought he could control them. He set up on an isolated planet where they could be contained without a ship.

Soong got caught and was arrested when he went back to earth for something.

Klingons found the Augments and were quickly overpowered by them. Reports were exaggerated that all humans were that powerful. When the Klingons found out what was really going on, they tried to create their own Augments - but the genome was coded for human DNA.

Treatment with more human DNA was required to save the lives of Klingons who's bodies were rejecting the Augment DNA resequencing. The result was super-Klingons who took on human appearance. They conquered control of their Starfleet and you could tell on sight that they were dangerous and warranted destruction - hence Kirk's early prejudice prior to David's death which pushed his biggotry out into the open.

These were great episodes IMO. Season 4 unfortunately - too late to save Star Trek perhaps.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 08:20 PM
No. That may have happened in between the Terra Prime and the episode just prior to that. 6 years of voyages are missing now that the show's been cancelled and they said that Terra Prime and the finale are 10 years after Broken Bow.True, it's possible, but I really doubt it, they wouldn't retire a 10-year-old starship in the middle of a freakin' war with a warrior race.

In 1996 there was the Eugenics Wars and Khan fled in a sleeper ship into exile. There is some Trek EU which has "fixed" this issue by moving the date up 100 years with a cursory explanation... too bad ENT didn't touch upon this.

Ji'dai
05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
That's interesting about the Klingon physical appearance. I remember the DS9 episode where they ask Worf about it and he says something happened but doesn't elaborate. Seems the writers were at a loss in proffering an explanation back then.

Tycho
07-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I just got Season 2 on DVD.

Wal-Mart is $96 - possibly this week only.

Target is $106 regular price.

Wal-Mart has a better price.

Trip is still alive in this season.

Tycho
04-10-2007, 02:19 AM
I just finished watching the entire Enterprise legacy. Overall it was nicely done and I enjoyed this series.

Trip was a great character. T'Pol came along nicely IMO.

Empress Hoshi Sato was amazing! :D