PDA

View Full Version : Tem. Morrison redubs Boba in Ep. V

jonthejedi
09-12-2004, 05:59 AM
T. Morrison has evidently rerecorded all of Boba Fetts lines in Ep. V, but NOT the stormtroopers in Ep. IV. The orig. voice sent chills down my spine in 1980(("He's no good to me dead.")...and now....After the Hayden replaces Sebastian can of worms stops getting kicked...I can only hope Mr. Lucas doesn't show up at Celebration III.

Kidhuman
09-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Yeah, this DVD release went downhill quickly.

Rocketboy
09-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Very old news and I don't care about the changes. It's still the same movie.

Beast
09-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Agreed. Don't care if the character was redubbed. It's not like the actor that played him was doing the voice anyway. Same as with James Earl Jones doing Darth Vader. Or Ian McDirmand refilming the 'Emperor/Vader' scene from ESB. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
09-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Jon, I heard a clip of this new Boba and it totally didn't work, Boba used to be this gravel-voiced Clint Eastwood's "The Man with No Name" type of character, now he's totally something else and it doesn't fit at all IMO. It is going to be REALLY hard for me to part with any money for this DVD set now.

2-1B
09-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Nice change but I think Tem should have done the Stormtroopers as well.

Imperial Monarche
09-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Very old news and I don't care about the changes. It's still the same movie.
Finally, somebody said it. I totally feel the same way. The movie plots have not changed whatsoever, just a couple of scenes. Kidhuman continues to say the same thing whenever the DVDs are brought up (how much he hates the DVD's being released, so it's getting kinda old)

But, reguarding the Tem. Morrison redoing the voice work, I'm not sure if I like it, but that's just one little thing that won't change the over all story. I too have heard the clip and if it sounds exactly like the clip, it won't sound natural. If they mix it in better, then I'll buy it more. You know what I mean?

stillakid
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Finally, somebody said it. I totally feel the same way. The movie plots have not changed whatsoever, just a couple of scenes. Kidhuman continues to say the same thing whenever the DVDs are brought up (how much he hates the DVD's being released, so it's getting kinda old).
:D One day you too will follow my word as it will be your only hope for redemption. ;)

But I think that GL might as well redub EVERYBODY with different voices. I mean, why stop with Fett? I've always wondered how SW would play if Vader sounded more like SpongeBob.

Darth Rend
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
I can only hope Mr. Lucas doesn't show up at Celebration III.
Oh COME ON NOW enough is enough. You are aware there wouldn't BE a celebration 3 if it wasn't for "Mr. Lucas"??

jonthejedi
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
The Force knows I would love to see(let alone meet) Mr. Lucas and thank him personally for the body of work he has given the world, and how his visonary imagination has affected our culture. BUT, after reading so many of these threads the past 72 hours...I'm afraid the poor man will get stoned if he sets foot on Indy turf. I love the OTC, with and without the tweaks & changes. Many here feel they've(Ep.s 4, 5 & 6) been ruined since their orig. versions...some are ok with the changes. But these forums are about expressing opinions, and that's all. And Darth Rend...YOU are also entitled to your opinion, but my sarcasm aside...don't take 1 sentence from my post out of context, isolate it, and make it sound like a threatening remark towards GL, cause it was not intended that way. Nuff said!

Darth Rend
09-14-2004, 11:29 AM
The Force knows I would love to see(let alone meet) Mr. Lucas and thank him personally for the body of work he has given the world, and how his visonary imagination has affected our culture. BUT, after reading so many of these threads the past 72 hours...I'm afraid the poor man will get stoned if he sets foot on Indy turf. I love the OTC, with and without the tweaks & changes. Many here feel they've(Ep.s 4, 5 & 6) been ruined since their orig. versions...some are ok with the changes. But these forums are about expressing opinions, and that's all. And Darth Rend...YOU are also entitled to your opinion, but my sarcasm aside...don't take 1 sentence from my post out of context, isolate it, and make it sound like a threatening remark towards GL, cause it was not intended that way. Nuff said!
I didn't think it sounded like a threat, nor did I try to make it seem like it was. I just am getting tired of hearing people who love to bash Lucas, saying he's lost it, he a hack, he sucks, I could do better, blah blah-biddy-blah. This wouldn't EXIST without him, and people are screaming as if he owes it to us to do everything exactly as we imagined it in our heads OR ELSE. I wouldn't be suprised if he decided not to do Episodes 7-8-9 because of all of this "armchair directer" attitude. As a fan base, we must look like a bunch of ungrateful over-critisizing liitle jerks. If I were him I'd be like "Screw it, I'm not going to make 3 more just to get insulted by the people I'm doing all this for!"

I think an earlier post of mine sums it up:

And for the record, I'm not saying Episodes 1 and 2 were good movies because of box office sales. I'm saying they are GREAT movies because I enjoyed them thoroughly. The box office just supports me, and indicates that other people enjoyed them too. And if you bought tickets , and bought the DVDs, your telling Lucas that you liked them, too. Hating and screaming about how terrible the movies are, but paying money to own it and see it is like saying you don't want the president re-elected, but voting for him anyways. If you hate the prequels that much, return your un-opened DVDs, stop buying the toys, and don't buy a ticket to episode 3. Until then, your telling him you liked them just fine.
As far as quoting you, I thought you were simply joining the b!tchfest. If you were refering in sarcasm to the third-party whiners, then I apologize. :)

Veers
09-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I guess after I watch the new DVDs, I will get use to it. At least make the original with no edits on DVD also.

scruffziller
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
It doesn't really sound all the much different, you can tell it has been redubbed because of the different nuances in the statements but sounds like a meshing of the 2.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I like this change, but I wish he hadn't said "As you wish!" with so much enthusiasm. It sounds a little too much like Rick McCallum, are we sure he didn't do the lines himself? ;)

Rocketboy
09-28-2004, 09:46 PM
I like this change, but I wish he hadn't said "As you wish!" with so much enthusiasm. It sounds a little too much like Rick McCallum, are we sure he didn't do the lines himself? ;)
Couldn't have been McCallum. He would've had to remove his nose from Lucas' butt to say it clearly. :D

seanmcfripp
09-30-2004, 09:10 PM
I don't have a problem with Morrison doing the voice...I have a problem with his performance. Jason Wingreen's performance completed the Boba Fett mystique...a guy in a really cool suit who stands around ominously and rarely speaks, but when he does, sends chills down your spine. Tem Morrison's performance doesn't do that for me.

Take the "As you wish line" for example. Prior to the prequels, that scene had always been a fun point of debate amongst fans, where discussions of how much Vader and Fett really knew each other were quite common. Vader's laying out of the business terms to the bounty hunters is pretty straight forward and professional until he gets to Fett, where the "No disintegrations!" line is clearly personal and specific to Fett. Jason Wingreen's delivery of "As you wish" is perfect...the tone is very glib and reserved, a perfect reaction to Vader's uneasy tone.

Tem Morrison's delivery is almost nothing like that, instead being delivered too fast and in a very curt manner...not very Boba Fett at all. The whole dynamic of the scene is changed, for the worse, in my opinion.

This is a small example in the greater scheme of things, but it's changes like this that drive fans up the wall, even though they seem insignificant to some of you. The Boba Fett that most of us have come to know and enjoy over the past twenty some odd years is now comething very different in my opinion.

From what I remember, Boba Fett is an icy loner who not only doesn't fear Vader, but commands Vader's respect. When Vader pointed a finger in his face, he didn't flinch and had a chilling comeback. Even when he was faced with Han possibly being damaged goods, he didn't lose his cool; he just laid it out for Vader point blank, basically saying "If he dies, you better be ready to pay me." Now Boba Fett is gruff and impatient. When he's concerned that Han won't survive the carbon freeze, he sounds like he's really asking Vader "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me", like he's really doesn't know what will happen. The old Boba Fett, just by the inflection of his voice made it perfectly clear what was going to happen if Han died. The new one sounds unsure of himself.

The frustrating thing is that Tem Morrison has a pretty decent voice for the part. He's got a pretty raspy tone and a nice deep inflection. It's just that he sounds like he went in there, read the lines once, and that was it. All he had to do was copy the old performance a little more and it would have turned out much better. It's also frustrating that Mr. Lucas isn't going to let us ever experience the old performance on DVD.

Jayspawn
10-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I love all the changes in the new Empire DVD! I'm a huge Boba Fett fan and I've not one problem with the Morrison voice-over. Or any of the other changes for that matter.

Thank you George!

Darth Tornado
10-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Boba sounds lkike a thug now. :ermm:

scruffziller
10-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I've always wondered how SW would play if Vader sounded more like SpongeBob.Or worse, Hayden.;)

"If he dies, you better be ready to pay me." Now Boba Fett is gruff and impatient. When he's concerned that Han won't survive the carbon freeze, he sounds like he's really asking Vader "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me", like he's really doesn't know what will happen. The old Boba Fett, just by the inflection of his voice made it perfectly clear what was going to happen if Han died. The new one sounds unsure of himself.

The frustrating thing is that Tem Morrison has a pretty decent voice for the part. He's got a pretty raspy tone and a nice deep inflection. It's just that he sounds like he went in there, read the lines once, and that was it. All he had to do was copy the old performance a little more and it would have turned out much better. It's also frustrating that Mr. Lucas isn't going to let us ever experience the old performance on DVD.Yep I would say that describes how these changes DO (for a good number of us) changes the story.

Take the "As you wish line" for example. Prior to the prequels, that scene had always been a fun point of debate amongst fans, where discussions of how much Vader and Fett really knew each other were quite common. Vader's laying out of the business terms to the bounty hunters is pretty straight forward and professional until he gets to Fett, where the "No disintegrations!" line is clearly personal and specific to Fett. Jason Wingreen's delivery of "As you wish" is perfect...the tone is very glib and reserved, a perfect reaction to Vader's uneasy tone.

Yea, I agree. Morrison's inflection gives us the impression that he is hunky dory with Vader's order. It's like, "As you wish" as to say "ok, you're the boss." Where the original gave the impression that Vader just spoiled Fett's fun and reacted to "Ah dang it!!!!!!"