PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Empire of Dreams

tagmac
09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Anyone else watch this tonight? Thought it was a great show. A lot of new old footage and outtakes never before seen, including Darth Vader speaking with a high, British voice (finally we hear what David Prowse sounds like, and it's hardly as terrifying as James Earl Jones' voiceover). Interestingly, a few of the SE changed scenes were not used in here, particularly the Sarlaac and Boba's re-dubbed voice. Probably means nothing, but I didn't think Lucas would have ever let us see OT footage that he'd since altered.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-12-2004, 10:02 PM
I didn't even know this was on tonight, but thanks to a favorite foxy SSG member pal of mine, i tuned in! ;) I really enjoyed watching this special tonight. I got a huge kick out of how David Prowse sounded like as Vader (which is something that comedian Eddie Izzard refers to in his comedy about how funny it would've been if Vader had been a chummy high pitched voice Scotish guy, but i digress) but i really loved some of the behind the scenes footage and whatnot. I also have a much greater respect for Lucas in how he progressively went from being a wench of the studio to being able to do things his own way.

Awesome special though! :D

tagmac
09-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I thought I was hearing things earlier, but I taped it, and just rewound to check out a scene that is even funnier than hearing Prowse's voice - Chewbacca speaking English! :D

For those who might have missed it, it's being repeated right now on A&E, and will also be on the bonus disc of the DVD's.

Rocketboy
09-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Anyone else watch this tonight? Thought it was a great show. A lot of new old footage and outtakes never before seen, including Darth Vader speaking with a high, British voice (finally we hear what David Prowse sounds like, and it's hardly as terrifying as James Earl Jones' voiceover). Oddly enough, it was still scary.

Great show. I guess it's an edited version of the one on the DVD. I'm curious to see what was cut out.

JEDIpartner
09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
It was a really well done doco... I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of it on the DVD. I heard the parts that were cut out dealt more with the business end of things... Kenner, Fox and so on...

IMFETTUP
09-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Saw it last night and thought it was awesome! I was going to watch the encore, but popped a movie in instead! I really enjoyed the out-takes and some of the dialogue that never made the movie. It was really hard looking at Carrie Fisher now and trying to imagine her in her slave outfit. What happened?

Rocketboy
09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Nearly 30 years and a drug habit.

Slicker
09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I watched this special 2 1/2 times and it was just as good as the first time. I liked the behind the scenes footage and they even showed some characters close up that I had never seen close up before (i.e. Kitik Keedak). I can't wait til the next showing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I wasn't going to watch it, but in the end I just had to. Besides, I don't have to watch the longer version the minute I buy the DVDs.

I thought Luke being bit by the snake was hilarious! :D And, now we know what Chewbacca said in that scene. I wonder if they did that the whole time? Hearing C-3PO and Yoda before they were re-dubbed was a kick as well.

JEDIpartner
09-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Saw it last night and thought it was awesome! I was going to watch the encore, but popped a movie in instead! I really enjoyed the out-takes and some of the dialogue that never made the movie. It was really hard looking at Carrie Fisher now and trying to imagine her in her slave outfit. What happened?
She's nearly 50 now, honey. Have you looked at your mum lately?

JediTricks
09-13-2004, 07:43 PM
I thought it was good, but a little too whitewashed in a lot of areas, esepcially the early days of Lucas that led up to the creation of SW and just about everything about the making of ESB. I had never heard before that Gary Kurtz actually directed some of the stuff in ANH, that was a bit of a surprise and I kinda wondered which scenes were done by him.

Oh, and I was quite surprised that the doc significantly altered the official Lucasfilm explanation of the Revenge of the Jedi title change (as well as completely overlooking the whole "Star Trek 2" issue).

El Chuxter
09-13-2004, 07:51 PM
She's nearly 50 now, honey. Have you looked at your mum lately?

Not in a metal bikini, thank God. :eek:

I intentionally passed on this so I can watch the longer version when I first get the DVDs. . . right after I check out the blooper reel. :D

I'm likely waiting until the weekend to watch the films themselves, so I can see 'em on a big ol' screen. :beard:

DarthBrandon
09-13-2004, 08:52 PM
I watched this last night & thought it was a good piece of work & very entertaining.

DTMAN
09-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Awesome special!

Yes, Prowse's Vader and Meyhew's versions were funny and great to hear how it was on the set.

It sort of makes up for some changes to the OT DVD. However, after what I heard about the changes, I think Original Trilogy is not accurate, but that is another tread.

For me, it was too short even though there is more on the DVD. I felt it should be in 3 parts, one on each film. A lot of great material on SW, but the coverage speeds up for the other two.

Overall it is great special. Up there w/Omni and MTV specials.

However, I know there is much more available that was not shown.
Perhaps on the definitive, platuinum, all 6 films edition with 2 versions of each film (I hope).

Thank you.

mabudonicus
09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
I thought it rocked; the bit about filming Luke's escape from the Wampa from the hotel front door was hilarious, on top of everything else already memtioned here....

I wonder if burning dow all them redwoods made the DVD, someone will have to let me know :beard:

JediTricks
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
One thing I just remembered, Carrie Fisher's audition tape had her using the british accent already, I guess she thought it was regal-sounding and added it that way. Cindy "Shirl" Williams was really awful as Leia.

stillakid
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
As fate would have it, I just worked yesterday with the cameraman that shot most of the material for that documentary. Lucky bastard!