PDA

View Full Version : Bantha Tracks, Lucasfilm Fan Club, Insider

stillakid
09-13-2004, 01:25 PM
I was just going through all my old issues of the Fan Club magazines (in their various incarnations) and discovered a few things.

BANTHA TRACKS
First, I am missing issue #12 of the original Bantha Tracks! :eek: I remember that this one had Boba Fett on the front cover. If anyone is ready to depart with their collection, or just that one ;) , please let me know. I also have only the 1-4 compilation issue and not the original 1-4, so that would be a plus too. :)

So except for issue #12, I have 1-33. 33 was listed as "Summer 1986." To anyone's knowledge, was that the last official "Bantha Tracks" before the club changed? Is there a #34 and beyond?

LUCASFILM FANCLUB
I have issues 5-11. Clearly, I'm missing 1-4 so again, I'd like to get ahold of them someday. But was there a #12 and beyond?

STAR WARS KIDS
I have the Sampler Issue dated Sept/Oct 98 and the Nov/Dec issue dated 1998 and the Winter 2000. Were there anymore?

JEDIQUEST
I have the Premier issue dated April 2000 as well as #2 and #3. Were there more?

STAR WARS INSIDER (version 1)
I have #24-#29. Were there issues #1-#23 or did the Fanclub merely pickup where they left off from the LucasFilm Fan Club magazine? I ask because I thought that I joined the new FanClub with this magazine right away, so missing 23 issues seems unlikely.

And was there an issue #30? I ask because VERSION 2 of the magazine (new layout) begins with issue #31 in my collection. It's possible of course that I just got screwed and they didn't send me an issue #30 during the changeover, but I just don't know.

STAR WARS INSIDER (version 2)
Begins in my collection with issue #31 and currently goes to issue #77. Issue #44 is labeled wrong on the cover of the magazine as issue #39, which caused a bit of confusion on my part until I found the truth on the inside credits. I am also missing issue #59. Was there an issue #59 or did they again screw me out of an issue?

BANTHA TRACKS
I have issue #0 which was given away for the AOTC IMAX edition. I didn't go back to check, but I think that this was the lead in for the "dual magazine" thing they did with BT on the back and upside down of the Insider.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
BANTHA TRACKS
So except for issue #12, I have 1-33. 33 was listed as "Summer 1986." To anyone's knowledge, was that the last official "Bantha Tracks" before the club changed? Is there a #34 and beyond?
I have issue #35 that's labeled "Winter 1987." I got it from someone selling off his SW collection, so I'd assume there was a #34, too.

LUCASFILM FANCLUB
I have issues 5-11. Clearly, I'm missing 1-4 so again, I'd like to get ahold of them someday. But was there a #12 and beyond?
I have no idea.

STAR WARS KIDS
I have the Sampler Issue dated Sept/Oct 98 and the Nov/Dec issue dated 1998 and the Winter 2000. Were there anymore?
I have no idea.

JEDIQUEST
I have the Premier issue dated April 2000 as well as #2 and #3. Were there more?
I had no idea such a title even existed.

I have #24-#29. Were there issues #1-#23 or did the Fanclub merely pickup where they left off from the LucasFilm Fan Club magazine? I ask because I thought that I joined the new FanClub with this magazine right away, so missing 23 issues seems unlikely.
I believe that #1-22 were the LF Fan Club, with #23 the first. I could be wrong. I am pretty sure the first Insider had Ben Kenobi on the cover, with stories about some video games (maybe Rebel Assault?).

And was there an issue #30? I ask because VERSION 2 of the magazine (new layout) begins with issue #31 in my collection. It's possible of course that I just got screwed and they didn't send me an issue #30 during the changeover, but I just don't know.
I believe that I have an uninterrupted run from #23 to about 71 (when they decided I no longer wanted to subscribe and offered me only one renewal notice (that I lost the form).

STAR WARS INSIDER (version 2)
Begins in my collection with issue #31 and currently goes to issue #77. Issue #44 is labeled wrong on the cover of the magazine as issue #39, which caused a bit of confusion on my part until I found the truth on the inside credits. I am also missing issue #59. Was there an issue #59 or did they again screw me out of an issue?
See above.

BANTHA TRACKS
I have issue #0 which was given away for the AOTC IMAX edition. I didn't go back to check, but I think that this was the lead in for the "dual magazine" thing they did with BT on the back and upside down of the Insider.
Again, not aware of such a title.

Ji'dai
09-15-2004, 12:06 AM
I believe that #1-22 were the LF Fan Club, with #23 the first. I could be wrong. I am pretty sure the first Insider had Ben Kenobi on the cover, with stories about some video games (maybe Rebel Assault?).
You're correct, i.23 is the "premiere issue" of Star Wars Insider, a redesign of the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine. Insider issue numbers continue from the last fan club magazine, i.22.

stillakid][/b]And was there an issue #30? I ask because VERSION 2 of the magazine (new layout) begins with issue #31 in my collection. It's possible of course that I just got screwed and they didn't send me an issue #30 during the changeover, but I just don't know.
Yes, there was an i.30. It has a fold-out cover with Han and Jabba on the front and the swoop/Ronto near-miss on the back (screen shots from the Star Wars Special Edition).

I am also missing issue #59. Was there an issue #59 or did they again screw me out of an issue?

I have issues 15-22 of the Lucasfilm Fan Club mag, and issues 23-77 of the Insider, which I consider to be the same publication, albeit with a new title and layout. I wonder if it will revert back to the old title once Star Wars is finished and the focus moves to other Lucasfilm projects.

InsaneJediGirl
12-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Since there is no reason making another thread about basically the same subject,I'll post my questions here.Has anyone gotten Insider #79 yet?Mine has yet to show up.Secondly,whats the number/email for customer service to change the address to get it sent to?

Tycho
12-04-2004, 02:50 AM
I haven't gotten mine yet either - and I want it badly.

The quality of the mag is usually great.

I'm looking forward to another Ian McDiarmid interview. Out of the entire prequel / sequel original cast, Emperor Palpatine's alter-ego gives the best interviews! They usually reach him before the movie screens, so I bet it's coming soon.

What I'd also have loved to read were all the early Harrison Ford interviews. I'm not sure I ever got the chance, or saved my original Bantha Tracks (if I'd gotten them back in the day - remember I was almost too young to read for a few years of that).

Tycho
12-04-2004, 02:51 AM
Oh, I do miss the Republic Holonet News and the CIS Shadowfeed newspapers that we used to get with the Insider when Piazo was handling it.

I wanted to know which Senators were caught in scandals and dug those "interviews with General Grievous and Asajj Ventress, etc. all."

Stock tips from Wat Tambor and more. That was fun.

Ji'dai
12-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Since there is no reason making another thread about basically the same subject,I'll post my questions here.Has anyone gotten Insider #79 yet?Mine has yet to show up.Secondly,whats the number/email for customer service to change the address to get it sent to?
I received issue 79 earlier this week. Apparently there are going to be two different covers, I got "Cover 2 of 2" :rolleyes:

The publisher is idgentertainment.com, but you'll probably have better luck with a change of address request by visiting starwars.com or Hyperspace since the Insider is now bundled with that service.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I got my issue two days ago, thankfully. It'd been over two months since the last one!

r2dee2
12-05-2004, 03:35 PM
I was just going through all my old issues of the Fan Club magazines (in their various incarnations) and discovered a few things.

LUCASFILM FANCLUB

Here is a pic of issure #1 to help you in your search. (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/lucasfilmfanclubNo1A_7.jpg)

STAR WARS KIDS

I'm pretty sure there were a few more, but I can't give you specifics at this time.

JEDIQUEST

JediQuest were not magazines, rather juvenile series SW books, right?....or was there also a magazine? I have a series of books pictures HERE (http://r2toyforce.net/jedi_quest.htm)

Just re-clarifying that Issue #23 was indeed the first issue of the Star Wars Insider with a picture. (http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/swinsiderfirstissueasinsiderNo23_7.jpg)

BANTHA TRACKS
HERE (http://r2toyforce.net/banthatracks.htm) are pics of that first #0 IMAX Bantha Tracks, handed out in November 2002.