PDA

View Full Version : Are the TPM and AOTC DVDs out of print already?

El Chuxter
09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
I just noticed on amazon.com that the TPM and AOTC DVDs are listed as "out of stock" and available only through marketplace sellers. I'm still seeing info on other sites, but have they been discontinued? And, if so, why?

The [Archival Edition] plot thickens. . . .

Beast
09-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, they are currently on moritorium. No more copies are being made. Stores only have current stock of both films, and when they're gone they are gone. There's rumor that they'll be reissued next year when EIII comes out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
09-14-2004, 03:23 PM
That's kinda what I figured (and I figured you'd be the one with the info :D). Though I have a feeling it'll be 2006 or 2007 when we see these again, in the massive boxed set we're sure to get.

JediTricks
09-14-2004, 08:17 PM
I never got TPM on DVD, so when I finally decided to get it, I found that they were only releasing a fullscreen version at the time. What the hell was THAT about?!?

Beast
09-14-2004, 09:44 PM
They released both versions at the same time. You may want to try a different store, since some have sold out of the Widescreens totally by now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-15-2004, 10:35 AM
By that time, Lucas will have had a chance to make more changes to TPM and AOTC so that they match his ROTS continuity alterations. :D

Exhaust Port
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Good thing I picked up my WS AOTC a few months ago. I had been looking for a while and couldn't find the WS version, on the FS version, on the shelves. As luck would have it I finally found the WS version after my months of searching. I guess this slowdown/stop of the SW DVD production hindered my purchasing.

Kyle Katarn
09-15-2004, 12:21 PM
I've seen a couple of those DVD's at Wal-Mart, but here in Mexico I think the distribuion is different.

El Chuxter
09-15-2004, 12:33 PM
JJB, are you sure the TPM foolscreen wasn't a later release than widescreen? I know AOTC came out in both versions initially, but I thought TPM was only in widescreen until around the time of the AOTC release.

Exhaust Port
09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
I remember seeing both the FS and WS editions when I bought my TPM which was right after the release.

JediTricks
09-15-2004, 11:38 PM
JJB, are you sure the TPM foolscreen wasn't a later release than widescreen? I know AOTC came out in both versions initially, but I thought TPM was only in widescreen until around the time of the AOTC release.
Yes, this is exactly what happened, and the AOTC-era release had a slightly different package, a gold border even though it's P&S.

Exhaust Port
09-16-2004, 07:11 AM
From what I've seen both the FS and WS are shown with 1999 release dates.

Bobby Fett
09-16-2004, 10:17 AM
If I remember correctly, when the TPM WS initially came out it was a semi-limited edition in a box with an insert booklet on the art of TPM and couple of other goodies. Later it was released as just the movie.

Exhaust Port
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
I think that's what I remember, the DVD boxset along side the individual WS/FS DVD's.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't remember a special box set for the DVD of TPM, but I do remember a special box set for the WS VHS back in 2000. It had a piece of film and stuff like that, I don't have it but I do know about it.

JediTricks
09-17-2004, 01:50 AM
JabbaJohn is right, only the widescreen VHS had a special edition boxed set with an abbreviated version of the Art of SW:TPM and a piece of 35mm film from an actual theatrical print (mine sucked, like 4 frames of a wide shot of the senate, lame).

In the original TPM DVD release (as well as AOTC), the Fullscreen packaging had a blue border, yet the AOTC-era DVD release of TPM has a gold border even though it's Fullscreen. There's also a TPM/AOTC DVD 2pack with both films in Fullscreen, I don't know what the packaging inside looks like though. But the current crop of gold-border FS copies of TPM are annoying as hell because they LOOK like the WS.

The bestbuy website has images of the originals, so visually they are of no help, but they do list the release dates of the DVDs, the WS last release date was 10/16/2001 while the FS was 11/12/2002

plasticfetish
09-17-2004, 02:45 AM
I never got TPM on DVD, so when I finally decided to get itMan, I'm glad it isn't just me that's been looking around for this and not seeing it. About a month ago, I decided to (impulse) buy the DVD finally, and realized that it's pretty much gone.

By that time, Lucas will have had a chance to make more changes to TPM and AOTC so that they match his ROTS continuity alterations.I hear he's planning on CG'ing out any actors that have subsequently complained that acting in these movies has been the worst experience of their life. ;)

Bobby Fett
09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't remember a special box set for the DVD of TPM, but I do remember a special box set for the WS VHS back in 2000. It had a piece of film and stuff like that, I don't have it but I do know about it.

Right you are, as usual. I was thinking of the VHS version. Sorry for the misinformation. :(

JediTricks
09-17-2004, 08:43 PM
I hear he's planning on CG'ing out any actors that have subsequently complained that acting in these movies has been the worst experience of their life. ;)So that'll leave just, what, Anthony Daniels & Ahmed Best? :D

plasticfetish
09-18-2004, 02:57 AM
I dunno, I've never heard Ahmed say anything one way or the other. (At this point I'm sure he'd maybe like to forget about JarJar.)

Daniels may be it.

plasticfetish
10-04-2004, 05:51 PM
WOW.... this forum section is a real mover!!!

So, aren't they re-releasing eps. 1 and 2 to coincide with this whole OT DVD box set thing? I've been looking and there's no sign of them. :confused:

James Boba Fettfield
10-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Maybe Lucas has gone Disney on us and put them away in the "Lucas Vault."

Damn you Disney and your damn vault!

2-1B
10-06-2004, 02:04 AM
I saw a ton of AOTC DVDs at Best Buy last weekend - blue border for P&S, gold border for Widescreen.

Darth Alex
10-25-2004, 03:42 PM
WOW.... this forum section is a real mover!!!

So, aren't they re-releasing eps. 1 and 2 to coincide with this whole OT DVD box set thing? I've been looking and there's no sign of them. :confused:I work for the Gallery of Sound(11 store record store "chain" in NE PA).
Yep, they're outta print. That's the word from MUTLIPLE distribution sources. Best Buy buys a lotta stock, that's why they still have some for sale, but they are NOT AVAILABLE TO ORDER.
Just an educated guess, but ya, I'd say a reissue WILL happen. With Sony pushing DVD Blue-Ray tech and the new mostly paper DVDs on the horizon, it's a lock to happen. Plus the rumors of a ULTRA 6 movie box in 2007 for the 30th anniversary make total sense.
I always thought the Disney LOCK EM UP IN THE VAULT thing was stupid. I mean, come on, the ULTIMATE TOY BOX, one of the best DVD sets goin is OOP.
Just pathetic(and a whole lotta' words I can't print here....:speech: ).

plasticfetish
10-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah... well, I suppose I didn't really need Episode I on DVD anyway. :rolleyes: I'll just have to scramble around to find one that's left over I suppose.

Plus the rumors of a ULTRA 6 movie box in 2007 for the 30th anniversary make total sense.Didn't I start that rumor like 9 months ago? :D It does make sense, but I'm gonna be really p'd off when it happens.

El Chuxter
01-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Good news!!

thedigitalbits.com is reporting that both movies will be reissued on 3/22/05, to coincide with the Clone Wars Vol 1 DVD. These are supposed to be the same versions that were previously available.

Slicker
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I was just able to buy AOTC off Ebay the other day for $10. I was gonna buy TPM but they were all selling for more than I was willing to pay. This is great news as now I can pick up TPM and I'm sure I'll now buy another AOTC.

plasticfetish
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Ahh, very good. Now that silly gap on the shelf can be filled. :)

Beast
01-19-2005, 01:14 AM
They're also being re-issued at a lower price point. According to BestBuy.Com, they can be pre-ordered for $14.99 each. Which is a huge improvement over the current $22.99 that they're marked in the stores. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 02:32 AM
I picked up TPM at Target today, $14.99, and it's in gold packaging like the last print and says nothing about Widescreen on the front, but the back lists it Widescreen... in small print buried among other features listed in the set. For a guy who hates pan-n-scan so much, Lucas sure has made life miserable figuring out which is which with TPM.

BTW, I haven't checked to be sure, but the gold aspects of this box seem duller than previous packages for TPM and AOTC, so it might seem out of place.