PDA

View Full Version : Lucas: "Watch Star Wars in this order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI." (ROTS spoilers)

Toad
09-17-2004, 05:58 PM
In the new EW:

"[the order you should watch the movies in 2010 as a newcomer] is I, II, III, IV, V, VI. Part of the fun for me is that one generation will have seen it backwards. For the next generation that sees it from I to VI, there are a lot of things IV that were just fantastic in 1977 - you know, the cantina- which aren't going to work. IN those days, you didn't put monsters in a bar. A monster was a thing that came from a spaceship and act everybody. Now every sci-fi bar you walk into has got aliens.

"But what's really important is the story, and the development of the characters. Now, once you get to IV, you know Darth Vader's the main character because you saw him in the previous movies. So when Darth Vader walks in, you say, oh, my God. Now, when you come across Princess Leia, you know that's his daughter right away, and you think, does he know? No, he doesn't know. Or does he know? And when you cut down to the planet and see Luke, you go, oh, my God, that's Darth Vader's son, and Ben Kenobi has been waiting all this time to send him on his adventure. You're waiting for them to realize who everybody is. So it is a completely different movie."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2004, 06:03 PM
So . . . does that mean we'll know it's Anakin in that Vader suit? Grr, I was still thinking we could be surprised in ESB.

I can kind of get what he's saying, though, seeing it differently.

Beast
09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
I'd rather they not try to play any cheesy red herrings for Anakin not being Vader in Episode III. We've been waiting for ages to see the downfall of Anakin Skywalker and the Birth of Darth Vader. And sure, future generations will know that Vader is Anakin before the characters discover it. But as I've said time and time again, that instead of feeling our own shock for the reveal, future viewers will be able to feel Luke's instead. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Toad
09-17-2004, 06:21 PM
So . . . does that mean we'll know it's Anakin in that Vader suit? Grr, I was still thinking we could be surprised in ESB.

I can kind of get what he's saying, though, seeing it differently.

Later in the article, he says:

[SPOILER ALERT]

We will see Darth Vader for 2 minutes. I can only assume from the entire article that yes, we will know that Anakin is becoming Darth Vader. I think that's what my first post means at its core.

El Chuxter
09-17-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't want anyone to think I don't love George Lucas' work and think he's a genius when I say this, but as a storyteller, he's lost it.

Were he still interested in storytelling, plot flow, etc, he would realize that the climax of the saga is Vader's revelation to Luke. Period. Watching the (as a newcomer) in 1-6 order will make the climax the fall of Anakin, which is far less a shock. He's been beating us over the head with it for two prequels already, and even if you don't know the story, it's pretty damn obvious Anakin's not going to end up well.

To watch in linear order robs the series of a powerful climactic "omigod" moment. Given that common sense tells you good will eventually win, and that three movies are devoted to his fall, there's nothing to turn the series on its head. Knowing that good is going to come out ahead before and after learning Vader's identity in ESB are two different things: "I wonder how they'll kill Vader" becomes "I hope Luke can save his dad." In one second, you stop waiting for a fiery end to Vader and start hoping that Luke is right about his humanity.

I'll always show the movies to newcomers in the proper order, 4-6 and then 1-3 (with Clone Wars as 2.5).

On the plus side, Lucas' no longer caring about storytelling almost ensures Anchorhead, the Wampa attack, and the sandstorm will be reincorporated in the films for the AEs.

Kidhuman
09-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I'll always show the movies to newcomers in the proper order, 4-6 and then 1-3 (with Clone Wars as 2.5).

To me that is the only way to watch the movies. Watching them in numerical order will take away from the OT.

Darth Rend
09-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Personally, the thing I like about this setup is that there are TWO legitiamte ways to watch the films now. If you watch 1-3, then 4-6, it works. If you watch 4-6, then 1-3, it works. It just works differently.

One way, the "I am your father" isn't a suprise anymore, and We already know Luke an Leia are twins. But the Fall of Anakin will be a suprise, and the reveal that Sideous is Palpatine is too.

The other way, both Anakin's fall and Palpatine's Agenda are already well known, But "I am your Father" is now a suprise, as is Leia being Luke's sister.

YES they've made it obvious Anakin has problems. But As you said, Good always Triumphs. Someone with NO CLUE whats coming would undoubtably expect Anakin would overcome his anger and beat the bad guy at the end. That only sounds difficult to believe because we know all this so thoroughly. There's a girl I know at work who never saw the origanals, and didn't know a blasted thing about them. She had watched the prequels, and I offhandly mentioned that Anakin becomes Vader...man, her JAW DROPPED. She was SHOCKED, and started going "no way! Really? Your lying!! Tell me your lying..." in the middle the call center. It was really sweet, it was the same reaction I had when I heard Vader was Luke's father. I felt kinda bad I spoiled it.

And besides, even if someone could figure out that he becomes evil, I dont think anyone would expect something as dramatic as becoming a twisted scared half machine in dark armor.

Both ways are totally valid, but the suprises will be different depending on which order you choose.

In my book, that equals genius. YOU try designing a reversable story arc!

B'Omarr Monkey
09-17-2004, 11:58 PM
What Lucas is leaving out is any mention of the new scenes he's planning for the next revision of SW (due in 2006), which is also when he reveals that the movies have been renumbered so that they fall in this order:

1. A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi - part 1
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Return of the Jedi - part 2

Why the change in order? The new scene which extends the moments between Darth Vader and Luke on Endor, before Vader brings Luke to the Emperor. Now, after Darth Vader tells Luke he is wrong about sensing the goodness in him, there is this exchange:

Luke: "So, just how did you go from being a Jedi Knight to a Sith Lord anyway.

Darth Vader: "Let me tell you, Luke. It all began..."

cue flashback, eject ROTJ from the DVD player, insert The Phnatom Menace and push "play."

2-1B
09-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Good one, B Monk ! :D

Devo
09-18-2004, 08:31 AM
If I ever have children I intend to brainwash them into believing that ANH, ESB, and ROTJ are the only star wars films that there are. :D

"dad today I learned in school that IV actually means 4 so does this mean that theres a star wars 1, 2 and-

SHUT UP CHILD!!!! WHATEVER THEY TOLD YOU IS A LIE!!!! I'LL HEAR NO MORE OF IT Y'HEAR???!!"

stillakid
09-18-2004, 10:30 AM
If I ever have children I intend to brainwash them into believing that ANH, ESB, and ROTJ are the only star wars films that there are. :D

"dad today I learned in school that IV actually means 4 so does this mean that theres a star wars 1, 2 and-

SHUT UP CHILD!!!! WHATEVER THEY TOLD YOU IS A LIE!!!! I'LL HEAR NO MORE OF IT Y'HEAR???!!"

There was a Leonard Part VI without 1-5. Okay, bad example...

Deoxyribonucleic
09-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Star Wars I, II, III....Never heard of 'em!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

stillakid
09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Star Wars I, II, III....Never heard of 'em!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Ya know, the funny thing I've noticed is that my kids will ask to watch a Star Wars movie and I'll say, "which one?" One of them will say something like, "the second one" and I'll say, "Empire Strikes Back?" and they'll say, "No, Attack of the Clones." Oh vey, it's a new generation. :sur:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Ya know, the funny thing I've noticed is that my kids will ask to watch a Star Wars movie and I'll say, "which one?" One of them will say something like, "the second one" and I'll say, "Empire Strikes Back?" and they'll say, "No, Attack of the Clones." Oh vey, it's a new generation. :sur:
And then you yell at them for half an hour on why they are stupid and idiotic for watching the PTs. ;) :D

JediTricks
09-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Here's what amazes me, Lucas has said of the prequels that this was always the way they were meant to be, he just decided to start with #4 and do the others later. Yet in the documentary, Empire of Dreams, the guy says different, that he took a year off on Fox's dime to write Star Wars, and when he was finished he realized it was too long and so he'd just make the first 3rd and then when it failed he'd work like crazy to get the other 2 movies done. So, which is it Lucas? The prequels always came first, or the OT is really what came first and when you made ESB, you called it "Episode V" and SW "ANH - Ep IV" to leave audiences feeling like they were part of a larger story and then tried to fill in this larger story 20 years later - which one of those is true?

2-1B
09-20-2004, 03:46 AM
JT, are you talking about George Lucas or John Kerry ? :crazed:
Okay, that's getting deleted but come on - it was funny. ;)

Anyway, yeah it seems like George went from

-shooting the first chunk of this big movie
to
-saying that in order to do these episodes, there must be a backstory somewhere from which they came, a rough outline or sketch
to
-actually making the prequels, even though it used to be said that he started with 4 because the backstory was so political and boring.

Meh. :confused:

plasticfetish
09-20-2004, 06:17 AM
He knew back in '77 that when digital technology came along, he'd have a much better chance of being able to tell those prequel stories. ;)

He also figured that he could make more money and ensure the longevity of the series by putting out the movies with the strongest story first. ;) ;)

JediTricks
09-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh yeah, GW has NEVER flip-flopped on anything ever. :p Suuuuure. (It's related to this SW topic, so if it doesn't go off-tangent I'm not gonna cut it, though if another mod wants to I can see that too ;).)

Lucas never seems to stick with the original truth, so I'm not sure we'll ever really know what the whole truth is, but I tend to believe him when he says that ANH was originally the beginning of the story because he said it 30 years ago AND last week :D. Look at how he wrote Tomlinson Holman out of the THX cinematic technologies history, the guy invented the technology for Lucas and when they part ways Lucas has the THX history rewritten to fit his newfacts.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-21-2004, 01:27 AM
There was a Leonard Part VI without 1-5. Okay, bad example...

Don't forget "Malcom X" no I -IX that I'm aware of. ;)

Bosskman
09-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Yeah, everybody knows you NEED digital technology to make boring political moves.

stillakid
09-23-2004, 01:23 PM
And then you yell at them for half an hour on why they are stupid and idiotic for watching the PTs. ;) :D

Nah, but I did ask him (my boy) what he liked about TPM. "Podrace" was the first thing out of his mouth followed by the Maul lightsaber battle. Plus I've watched the kids before as they view TPM and can see obvious moments of boredom set in pretty much in all the non "video game" action moments (which accounts for most of that movie). So still, as I've always maintained, I find that there are many good elements to the Prequels, but those have far more to do with production design and nothing to do with story. And the reactions of others with whom I've spoken with seems to mostly confirm that conclusion.