PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Madness announcement.

Kidhuman
09-17-2004, 09:26 PM
From JD (http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1095436830,2810,) Comes news about Midnight madness. 29 figures to be released that night. SOunds like a lot of money to be spent IMO.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-17-2004, 09:30 PM
That's awesome. I have nothing but excellent memories of Midnight madness for the AOTC figures. Spending about 400 bucks, eating at steak n' shake and then a lightsaber duel in my apartment courtyard with my friends as the sun came up. Sadly, i'm at school now and that won't happen this year, but still, it would be a blast!! :D

LTBasker
09-17-2004, 10:29 PM
29 Figures...Holy geez.

Won't be so bad I guess, I have fond memories of my Wal-Mart "Midnight Madness" visits...like, me being the only one there so I could choose at my own pace what figs I wanted. :D Hope that happens again, it's lonely sure but hey...in '99 it was a madhouse at TRU, I wouldn't want to repeat that again- especially not with 29 figs being release!

Bobby Fett
09-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Boy oh boy! There's nothing finer than knocking a bunch of little kids down to get the best toys! ;)

Ji'dai
09-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Well, that's not much more than the 27 figures released for AOTC midnight madness. I never go to these things. What are you guys finding at midnight that I can't get the next day at a reasonable hour? ;)

Blast from the past - pics of the huge AOTC display I secretly took at TRU a day or two after midnight madness in 2002:

http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040918053448_615609.jpg

http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040918053737_879190.jpg

I hope stores' OTC displays look like this next Tuesday!

LTBasker
09-17-2004, 11:46 PM
What are you guys finding at midnight that I can't get the next day at a reasonable hour? ;)

Case-Fresh figures with barely a speck of dust on them, literally. When I went to Wal-Mart April 26th at 11:50PM, they hadn't put the figures out yet. My mom and I decided to walk around until they did, and around 12:05 we came back and a whole display was set up. It was beautiful. :D

B'Omarr Monkey
09-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I didn't attend either Midnight, Madness. The first one occurred when I was living in L.A.. The sure ammount of toys being released led me to not fear being able to pick up what i wanted the following day. I was stunned to see that there was nothing to be found except a couple of Koosh Balls and a Ric Olie--my first and only Ep. 1 figure for about 2 weeks.

They didn't do a Midnight Madness where I was living when AOTC came out. the next day I hit Wal-Mart expecting it to be empty as well. I was the only person in the very full SW section. I found everything including beasts, and vehicles except for Yoda and Dexter Jettster, which I was able to pick up a week alter at K-Mart.

I don't know if they'll have one where I am now, where there are clearly aggresive SW buyers, as I seem to find stuff weeks after everyone else is (at least I'm finding it).

I have no fears of missing the initial waves of ROTS stuff. If anything, depending on what I have to spend, I may skip the figures altogether and just buy the vehicles, beats, whatever, and pick up the figures later. One look at a KB toys should show just how easy those figures will be to find even years later--for less than 50% of the original price.

evenflow
09-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Well I attended both and enjoyed them. I will be at this one as well and can't wait. I guess i will be saving up starting now.

Kyle Katarn
09-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Oh, I would like to attend one but here in Mexico no store makes that...so I can only imagine it. :cry:

Reefer Shark
09-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, that's not much more than the 27 figures released for AOTC midnight madness. I never go to these things. What are you guys finding at midnight that I can't get the next day at a reasonable hour? ;)

Blast from the past - pics of the huge AOTC display I secretly took at TRU a day or two after midnight madness in 2002:

http://uploads.bardiir.de/20040918053737_879190.jpg

I hope stores' OTC displays look like this next Tuesday!
Thanks for the pics Ji'dai,
That brings back some memories. I didn't do midnight madness for AOTC because of the anarchy I experienced at the TPM one. When I went to TRU the next day, it looked just like your pictures, and I ended up getting all the figures I wanted except Dooku (which showed up within a few weeks).

I won't be going to the ROTS one either, but I will be hitting the stores up the day after.

sumdumchum
09-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Ok, so I understand the urge of having to have the figures right at the time that they are released, but why go and spend $400 in one night when you can just pace yourself and get the figures you can along the way. You know there are going to be plenty of peg warmers and those figures you don't find you can always rely on somebody on this site or another one to get one for you. Do a trade or buy it for a reasonable price rather than resort to Ebay. Just my opinion...

gsr-jedi
09-18-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking of saving up the money, going to Target, getting everything I can, applying for a Target card, and save 10% off. But since I'll have saved the money, I can pay it back without it hurting me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I think I would go not for the figures, but for soaking up the experience of hanging around a bunch of Star Wars fans, living and acting out their fantasies. I missed the last two, not cause of any prior commitments, just out of laziness I guess. Now that this is the last opportunity for quite some time, I have to make a commitment of going.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-19-2004, 01:18 PM
I'll probably go cause the 2002 version was pretty sweet. I remember being able to find every one of the 20-odd figures that were released...except for Dooku. People were freaking out cause they couldn't find a Zam Wessel figure, but a week later they were everywhere.

Good idea about applying for the Target card. If you're going to spend that much at one time why not get a good deal for it?

tagmac
09-19-2004, 02:02 PM
27 figures huh.....if it's anything like 2002, only about half of them will be there after the first 10 people.

Forget Dooku - the last time around, Yoda, Anakin Hanger Duel, Taun We, Luminara, and the Red Guard were nearly impossible to find. They put tons of the larger case assortments out (Anakin/Padme), but the Yoda case and the Red Guard case were far fewer, and at my TRU, two idiots started fighting when they brought out a fresh case to fill the bins, and the manager refused to put any more out. (At least in '99 they put out more Darth Mauls by the next morning). I lucked out going to KB the next morning, finding one Dooku and Yoda and a couple Anakins, but the other 3 took me a few weeks. Not to mention, TRU didn't even have the Female Tusken Raider case - only Target got that one (but of course not the other two). Hopefully they distribute the figures in greater numbers and more evenly this time around.

darthzirock
09-19-2004, 10:48 PM
I might actually go to Midnight Madness this time. I skipped both 1999 and 2002, and had no problem finding the initial waves of figures the following days. However, as this is likely to be the last film-based Midnight Madness event for Star Wars, I might just go this time. There are a couple of fellow SW collectors in my area I've become friendly with since after the 2002 MM event, and both of them had gone. Unfortunately, our local TRU doesn't do MM, and the KB Toys that did has since closed. All that leaves now is Wal-Mart, and I heard that MM there is no big deal, as these are 24-hour stores, anyway. So, we'll see ...

OC47150
09-22-2004, 02:10 PM
My buddy and I went to MM '99. We arrived home from Celebration 1 less than a half-hour before the madness commenced and stopped at TRU on the way from the airport. It was wild! We threw figures in a cart and went down a side aisle to sort 'em.

I skipped MM '02, but stopped in Wal-Mart on the way into work and picked up the POTJ TIE bomber and crashed snowspeeder sets and a Jango Fett figure. I picked up the rest a few weeks later, I think after I saw AOTC.

I will probably go next year.

realst8guy72
09-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I Remember Going To Mm @ Tru '99 And It Being A Total Madhouse, Then On My Way Home At About 1:30 Am Or So, I Stopped At One Of The Many Walmarts Here In Vegas And There Was The One Main Isle Filled To The Hilt W/ Every Figure Put Out That Night And Not A Sole In Sight. My Opinion......hit Walmart, Take Ur Time, And Get Every Figure In Perfect Condition.

El Chuxter
09-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Good idea regarding the Target card. I believe I may have to do that. If they're $5 each, 29 figures is just under $150, plus you know they'll have Unleashed, vehicles, probably some Galactic Heroes, etc, etc, etc.

Okay, I figure Anakin, Vader, Palpatine, Padme, Chewie, Itchy, Malla, Cody, Clonetrooper v 2.0, Grievous, and Lurlene* are given, but I can't figure out the other 18.

*--Even though she's dead. Lurlene is technically an EU figure.

Tycho
09-26-2004, 11:13 PM
As a financial planner I don't recommend expanding your credit lines unnecessarily - especially for a card that's too easy to use and rack up a balance on some time later in the future (since we all go to Target frequently).

The interest on the T-cards are probably rididulous too, though I haven't checked.

If you save up the money, and I've put away $700 myself - which is about my average for any of the past MM's, you'll do just fine.

10% saved on $200 is only 20 bucks - go earn or save an extra $20 another way.

If you're a big spender like me, sure I could save $70 if I did that Target plan with their c-card.

However, your credit lines out and open all impact your ability to get auto and especially HOME OWNERSHIP loans later (mortgages). Sure you need to increase your credit rating by owning and paying (on time) your account charges, but the Target card plan should be beneficial to only

1) the really big spenders
2) those with the self-discipline to never use the cards when they cannot afford to pay off the balance in full.

That's my 2 cents: the plans not that great for most, but might work out for a select few.

DarthQuack
09-27-2004, 09:44 PM
I have yet to attend one, but I plan on getting a part time job this fall at Target and saving moolah for this event :)

Knightfall
10-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Ooh, wow, this creates a difficult situation for me. I've vowed to rid my world of prequel merchandise, but on the other hand, I'm finally old enough to drive out to Toys R Us at midnight to buy new figures (for TPM and AOTC, I had to wait 'til the next day). And since I'm going to CIII and opening night, I may as well do the trifecta. I could just buy lots of CloneStormtroopers, because even when they're from prequels, 'troopers are still awesome.:D

Darth Alex
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
I'll DEFINITELY go to a midnight madness sale. Per Jaff in the OTC Words from Walmart thread, 4/2/05 is gonna be the big release day.
I DID get some extra credit last time and it took forever to pay it off. I'll save what I can starting NOW so I don't get slammed on 4/2. Anyway, the Midnight thing is a blast. I had a ball during the Ep1 sale and I really do hope that most stores pull a midnight this time around(or rather, last time around:bored: ).

mastermatt24
11-02-2004, 09:14 PM

I dont think I'll be going althought it would be great. On a random note: I have the Anikan/Vader vinal poster thing thats hanging from the ceiling in the pic. I used to go to a KB that was really close to my house and one night this girl that worked there asked me if I wanted it, and of course I said yes.

jonthejedi
11-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Then again, if K-Mart violates street date...like they did for Episode 2...I won't even need Midnight Madness.

Darth Alex
11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Then again, if K-Mart violates street date...like they did for Episode 2...I won't even need Midnight Madness.
Good point. I remember my local(Williamsport, PA at the time) Walmart broke street date by FOUR DAYS but would not physically allow a sale before the start date. It was amazing to have the case with Droid Hanging Obi-Wan in hand, saliva firmly flowin over the find, then to be DENIED. And harshly:evil: .

I get a feeling that street date should be pretty well adhered to;) .

It's funny how much street dates AREN'T stuck to. Shrek 2 isn't out until Friday, but I can get it RIGHT NOW at the local Kmart and...sad to rat em out...the Gallery of Sound(my humble employer). We broke street date BECAUSE of Kmart and that's straight from the boss's mouth. When I found out about it, we discussed the whole topic, and his take on it is that if inventory is physically present, IN HAND, it's gonna get put out more times than not.

I think with how big this promotion for ROTS will be, with fast food, snacks, and all the extra stuff coming back around this time, you'd think the hold-until this-date will be...better enforced....

AmanaMatt
11-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Nearly 30 figs on day one!?! History repeats itself...again. Man, Habro is predictable. I am very happy this is the last movie in some ways.

Hellboy
11-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Per Jaff in the OTC Words from Walmart thread, 4/2/05 is gonna be the big release day.

So this IS the official MM release date? Can anyone else corroborate this info? If so is it actually 4/2 at 12:00 am or is it the 3rd? Just wondering because I'm putting in my vacation requests in a few weeks and this as well as the week of May 19th are the first dates I'm securing.