PDA

View Full Version : Audio problems on A New Hope disc

James Boba Fettfield
09-20-2004, 04:17 PM
According to the digital bits, the disc for A New Hope has some audio problems:

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element as damaged. It's very distracting.

3) Possibly most damaging, John Williams' entire score for the film has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left channel is playing from the right channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

These problems are certainly severe enough in our opinion to merit a repressing/exchange of the disc. We're waiting to hear back from Lucasfilm on this issue and we'll update this review with the details as soon as we do.

I hope these audio issues are not as bad as the bits claims.

Kidhuman
09-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Thats horrid. Nice mess up Porgie.

Exhaust Port
09-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Ugh, that sucks. There always seems to be a problem when you buy the first version. Could there actually be a recall on something like this?

mini-rock
09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Yeah there are several scenes where the dialogue goes from soft to loud and back again. I first noticed it in the Tarkin/Leia scene, but after I watched it a second time there are other scened that do this also. Oh yeah, the score is switched in the surrounds when listening in DD-EX. Again I didn't notice until the second time I watched it, but would not have noticed at all if it weren't for me trying to see how active the rear center speaker was during the Star Destroyer fly over in the beggining. There is also a bit of cracking on some of the dialogue, but these problems are to be expected considering the dated audio.

I doubt there will be a recall, but there could be a re-pressing of the disc so you could exchange by mail ala JP-DTS, and BTTF.

For me though it isn't a big deal. If an exchange program is set up I'll do it, but if not I'm not going to sweat it. This is still by far the most impressive presentation of this film released into the HVM to date, and these minor problems aren't going to change that. :)

mini-rock
09-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Thats horrid. Nice mess up Porgie.

Believe it or not kid GL didn't mix the EX track. ;)

JON9000
09-20-2004, 08:59 PM
So this is only a problem on the 6.1 soundtrack? Is the 5.1 mix not reversed?

I have to say you are quite forgiving. I've waited some time to get these movies on DVD and I had hoped the sound mix would have been handled with a little more professionalism. They could have screwed up the prequel tracks and I wouldn't have cared.

Lucasfilm denies any problems with the soundtrack:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as has been reported."

mini-rock
09-20-2004, 09:38 PM
So this is only a problem on the 6.1 soundtrack? Is the 5.1 mix not reversed?

I have to say you are quite forgiving. I've waited some time to get these movies on DVD and I had hoped the sound mix would have been handled with a little more professionalism. They could have screwed up the prequel tracks and I wouldn't have cared.

Lucasfilm denies any problems with the soundtrack:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as has been reported."

Doesn't matter if it's 5.1 or 6.1, it's all the same so the answer to your question is yes. The score coming from the rear speakers is opposite from the fronts in 5.1. Also don't confuse the EX mix with the score. The EX mix on this is so frikkin dynamic it's unreal! It's Star Wars like you have never heard before. Given how old the audio track is I wasn't really expecting much, and it's obviously dated, but I was pleasently surprised. No where near the quality of EP's 1&2, but much better than the Pro Logic VHS/LD days. If the score issue is a big deal to some then I suggest just listening to the 2.0 track or...don't buy it. ;)

JON9000
09-20-2004, 09:44 PM
If the score issue is a big deal to some then I suggest just listening to the 2.0 track or...don't buy it. ;)
Well, if Lucasfilm is to be believed, the music track was deliberately flipped, so not buying it would accomplish nothing. Time will tell, of course. I am suspicious if it was only done during ANH and not the other two.

Actually, if it were a mistake, it would have been better to flip everything. I can easily flip the speakers by trading wires. :(

Oh well, I will find out in two hours

vadersvette
09-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Will all of these audio problems be noticable in a stereo speaker system (the TVs speakers)? :confused: (I'm too poor to get a 5.1)

JON9000
09-20-2004, 11:12 PM
No, the 2 channel mix will be fine, as far as I know

mini-rock
09-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, if Lucasfilm is to be believed, the music track was deliberately flipped, so not buying it would accomplish nothing. Time will tell, of course. I am suspicious if it was only done during ANH and not the other two.

Actually, if it were a mistake, it would have been better to flip everything. I can easily flip the speakers by trading wires. :(

Oh well, I will find out in two hours

I'm not sure what the reason for the score swap in the rear was for or if it was really deliberate, but at the same time it kinda makes sense if they wanted to try and create an extra sense of space...maybe. Who knows! It does not occur on the other two DVD's though. Still it's not noticeable unless you are standing near one of the rear speakers, and then running to the fronts to try and catch the offset. My guess is that Bill was probably doing the same thing I did when he stumbled across the offset. Anyway, for those with 2.0 systems there are no worries. :)

Kidhuman
09-21-2004, 06:58 AM

I am sure he approved it. After all it is meant to be the way he wanted it.
:rolleyes:

Darth-Capone
09-21-2004, 07:49 AM
just finished watching the assault on the Death Star in 5.1 and the sound was pretty damn good

I just played my VHS version, and there is no comparison so what am I complaing about.

Right I'm off to watch Empire. :)

mini-rock
09-21-2004, 01:24 PM
I am sure he approved it. After all it is meant to be the way he wanted it.
:rolleyes:

OH NO! There is a scratch on the DVD! Damn you lucas!! ;) LMAO!

El Chuxter
09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
He approved it until the next time he changes his mind. :)

"Luke was always supposed to be a transvestite, I swear!" :crazed:

Pendo
09-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Is this only on Region 1. I never noticed it on my disc. True I wasn't looking for it, I'll have to have a goosey to see, but if it is different I haven't noticed it.

PENDO!

scruffziller
09-21-2004, 03:18 PM
I myself have noticed the inconsistencies mentioned but the clarity of the soft volume scores are more audible and I have heard things said cleary that I thought were just mumblings before.

mini-rock
09-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Is this only on Region 1. I never noticed it on my disc. True I wasn't looking for it, I'll have to have a goosey to see, but if it is different I haven't noticed it.

PENDO!

I haven't heard of any other regions having this issue, but it may be still too early to tell. :)

Toad
09-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I cannot hear the rear channel score mixup. You have to have either really keen ears or you have to be listening for the mistake.

If you watch them for enjoyment, you'll NEVER notice it.

The 'Xir
09-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I just got done watching ESB, and I forgot where, but I noticed a full skip in the dialog track! :rolleyes: Amazing the quality we get for being such loyal fans! :ermm:

mini-rock
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
I just got done watching ESB, and I forgot where, but I noticed a full skip in the dialog track! :rolleyes: Amazing the quality we get for being such loyal fans! :ermm:

You mean the skip at 58:02 in chapter 27? If so then that's the layer switch that has nothing to do with the quality of the DVD, but the quality of the player. :)

JON9000
09-22-2004, 12:58 AM
Well, now that I have watched ANH v1.4, I can say that I did not notice the rear reversal at all. I was a little annoyed with the dynamic range of the mix, however. In order to really hear the music, you have to crank the volume and the effects can get loud. As was already mentioned, certain flourishes in the music are almost completely dead. That is a downer.

The good news is that the sound mix seems to change somewhat with every release, and I can almost guarantee that the music will eventually be properly restored in the important portions.

Lazer Brain
09-22-2004, 10:51 AM
how about all the dialog changes? i was wondering if a new thread should be started, c3po has plenty in anh
later

JEDIpartner
09-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I watched ANH and didn't notice Threepio dialogue changes... What did they change? I DID notice the new "krayt dragon" sound they inserted when Ben comes over the ridge.

Slicker
09-22-2004, 01:09 PM
The only Threepio dialogue change that I noticed was when the sandcrawler stops at the Lars residence Threepio says "we've stopped" before telling Artoo to wake up.

Lazer Brain
09-22-2004, 02:11 PM
this should be a new thread...

when c3po and r2 are getting into the escape pod, c3 talks about being a being a Philosopher and calls r2 a tub of grease, then at the purchase of the droids uncle owen tels him to shut up , and he says "shutting up now sir", and does not say anything else until he is addressed. there were more but can't remeber them right now...

later

Adam
09-22-2004, 02:44 PM
this should be a new thread...

when c3po and r2 are getting into the escape pod, c3 talks about being a being a Philosopher and calls r2 a tub of grease, then at the purchase of the droids uncle owen tels him to shut up , and he says "shutting up now sir", and does not say anything else until he is addressed. there were more but can't remeber them right now...

later

Uh, those have always been there, sorry. :nerv:

JEDIpartner
09-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I've been watching that version my entire life...

"Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease. Now, come out of there before somebody sees you!"

"Do you speak Bocce?"
"Of course I can, sir! It's like a second language to me. I am fluent in over ten--"
"All right. You can shut up."
"Shutting up, sir."
"Luke I want you to take these two down to the garage and get them cleaned up before supper..."

Lazer Brain
09-22-2004, 02:56 PM
ok, my bad..
just that i finally noticed it.
later

The 'Xir
09-22-2004, 06:38 PM
"I don't know where you get your delusions Lazer Brain!" ;) :p lol jk :D

vadersvette
09-23-2004, 03:09 PM
C-3PO does have added dialouge on the Death Star after he says that R2 will try to get the exact location to appear on the monitor.
He says: "The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave."
(Unless this was added in back in the SE, I don't remember)

mini-rock
09-23-2004, 03:58 PM
C-3PO does have added dialouge on the Death Star after he says that R2 will try to get the exact location to appear on the monitor.
He says: "The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave."
(Unless this was added in back in the SE, I don't remember)

Yeah that was added for the '97 SE. :)

Darkness Shroud
09-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know or think that lucasfilm have used a really high quality dvd disc? My dvd player is top quality and not that old (less than 5 years). As i am having trouble playing the episode 3 sneak peak, i had to play it on my PS2 and it worked just fine. My copy of THX-1138 also has trouble changing between chapters 13 and 14. Maybe ive played my dvd player too much.:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I had no trouble with the sneak peek, it seems like your DVD player just sucks. ;) :D
I won't be watching ANH until tomorrow night, I'll let you guys know on Saturday if my DVD had anything wonky with the sound.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Some of the dialogue faded in and out, not too badly though. The only big loss with the sound is the song when the X-wings start to attack the Death Star.

Darth Vader's voice is a hell of a lot deeper, like it should be. That's really cool.

Slicker
09-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Some of the dialogue faded in and out, not too badly though. The only big loss with the sound is the song when the X-wings start to attack the Death Star.I had noticed that too. I really liked that part where the music starts to pick up and gets louder as the X-Wings dive in at the Death Star. I didn't notice it the first time I watched them but I noticed it on Friday.

JON9000
09-26-2004, 02:26 PM
The music is also reduced and the effects are boosted during the boarding of the Tantive IV and during the cell block rescue.