PDA

View Full Version : Rare figure stand?

Thopman1
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi there.

I've been collecting since X-mas and have about 50 loose figures complete with weapons and acessories. I recently bought this figure stand for the first 12 on ebay. It has a display picture with an X-wing and the SW logo. I hope you know which one I mean.
I was wondering how rare it is, and what the history behind it is.
And also how valuable it might be (Not that I plan on selling it!!!)

Thopman1

Ji'dai
09-20-2004, 06:27 PM
The display stand was Kenner's first mail-away offer, but it was later available in select stores. I got mine by sending in the proofs-of-purchase from figure cardbacks when I was a kid.

More info on this piece:

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=38599

Thopman1
09-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the link, it was really helpful.

But when i looked at the department store version of the stand, i noticed that not only were Greedo added, but some of the other names were whiped out!!

As far as i can see there are only 7 names on the store version, instead of the 12 on the mail away version. Thats kind of strange, don't you think?

Thopman1

Ji'dai
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
As far as i can see there are only 7 names on the store version, instead of the 12 on the mail away version. Thats kind of strange, don't you think?
Thopman1
Yes, it is. Maybe the Kenner art department got lazy and didn't bother adding 12 names when they redesigned the decal for the stand's retail release.

LusiferSam
09-21-2004, 11:34 PM
The stand only holds 12 figures and was originally made when that's all there was. The store version comes comes with 20 stickers (Boba Fett was still a mail away). So there's not room for all 20 figures or their stickers. I think Kenner made a marketing chose to show only 7 figures as 12 (or 20) would make it look crowed. And why list figures that aren't there? So its not odd at all if you think about.

Thopman1
09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
So let's see if i get this right!

You mean that the store version had loose stickers, one for each character?

Cause as we all know, the mail away have one long sticker with the 12 names.
It's a good idea with loose stickers, as i've always wanted to see Darth Vader in the front instead of hidding in the background :D

LusiferSam
09-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Yes, that's the way I understand it. From the pictures I seen its just like the stickers for the figure cases, individual stickers you peel off and place. And I miss spoke early, there is a Boba Fett sticker.

Thopman1
09-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Here's another thing i noticed.

If you compare the known backdrop painting with the unused one, then i'm pretty certain that it's the same artist that did both.
Try to compare the Death Star and the small X-Wings, not to mention the way he painted those laserblasts that shoots out from the Death Star.
If it's the same artist then it's problaly the same non-Kenner design firm that did both.

Also if you look at the close-up of the unused painting, you can see some buildings in the background that looks a bit like Mos Eisley. No wonder they rejected it, since the Death Star never came near Tatooine.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-art/unproduced-stand-artwork.html
Thopman1