PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the VOTC line?

JediTricks
09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
As of today, the final wave of VOTC figures has hit stores with the 4 ROTJ figures. The VOTC line has been out for over a month, with many figures still hard to find in most areas, but there definitely is no current shortage of some VOTC figures such as Han Solo & Ben Kenobi. Whether you factor the price into the equation or not, what is your take on this line, is it the best thing since sliced bread or just moldy? Vote now and voice your opinion.

Reefer Shark
09-20-2004, 06:57 PM
I voted Fantastic. The Threepio figure may be crappy, but that's my only complaint. It's great to see the O.G. cards on the shelves again, and I love the fact that it's only 12 figures.

It makes me feel like I have a complete collection (well, it will when I get the ROTJ ones) without having to spend a gazillion dollars on rehashed figures.

I love the VOTC :smoker:

LusiferSam
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
I'd say this line is good, but not good enough reignite my interests in the modern lines. The figures look great (I'm always a sucker for cloth cape and accessories). I love the cards (I haven't said that about any of Hasbro's stuff before). But the prices I heard about are a bit too high in most cases. So for the time being I'll just look.

What I dislike is the name, "vintage?" Give me a break. This is the dumbest thing since Greedo shot first.

dwall16294
09-20-2004, 07:06 PM
At first I was not planning to get any of the OTC line including VOTC, until I saw these. I could not resist getting them, especially since there are only 12. Its pretty easy to collect them knowing they won't keep coming out with new ones to drain your wallet.

If they make any more past the original 12 planned, I think it will make these less "special" and I won't be interested. I like the numbers: 12 figures like the original 12 (even though they are not the same characters) and 4 from each movie on original type card backs. Cool!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes, I know they're packed in star cases, but I hate the $10 price for what we get. The figures are too flimsy for my taste, yet they do look pretty good. I would have loved getting repro-ed vintage figures instead.

mastermatt24
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
There ok.. they couldve done a little better job on some of the faces (Leia). But the packaging is great.
Hey JT why did you change your avatar?

mark2d2
09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
I voted fantastic!

I have the first eight, and they are all just amazing.
(Even Threepio has grown on me. . . )
The ball jointed heads are just too cool for words.

Can't wait for the ROTJ toys to hit LA.

As someone else said, it's sure fun to Collect All Twelve again. . .

JediTricks
09-20-2004, 09:03 PM
There ok.. they couldve done a little better job on some of the faces (Leia). But the packaging is great.
Hey JT why did you change your avatar?
Matt, with the ROTJ DVD coming out tomorrow with that Hayden spirit, I felt I had to say something. Plus, I had an idea yesterday about everybody doing this Ghostbusters-style thing with a different character as their avatar, and it dawned on me today that Haydenbusters could be done. Then I couldn't decide on white or black for the background, so I kept switching back and forth for the first 30 minutes or so. ;)

Jaff
09-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Well, I said the whole line is fantastic because they really got me back into buying packaged figures again. The Yoda, Han, Darth and Lando are great figures, but the Leia and Luke really stink. Still the packaging is really why we buy them, and that's what get's my attention. I do wish they had the right packaging with the right film. 3PO, Chewbacca, Boba, Stormie, and Darth should have had a SW logo, while R2 should have been Empire. They could have put ESB or Jedi figs in vintage style packages. As you can see this will open up a new door for variations or repackaging later down the road. Anyways some of the figs are actually improvements too like Han, R2 and Chewie.

Deoxyribonucleic
09-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I went for Fantastic! I'm very pleased with this line...man I just love the old cardbacks too! :D

mrpauldeeds
09-20-2004, 11:26 PM
its fantastic...but a bit pricey just for a star case, more plastic for 5 more bucks? o well, they are cool looking, since iwasnt around when the now vintage figs were out. :(

OC47150
09-21-2004, 07:20 AM
The Han figure is great. The head sculpt is the one we've wanted/needed for some time.

I saw the new pix of Boba Fett and stormie. WOW! I might have to splurge and buy a few extra stormies.

And the old cardbacks bring back good childhood memories.

Kidhuman
09-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Plus, I had an idea yesterday about everybody doing this Ghostbusters-style thing with a different character as their avatar, and it dawned on me today that Haydenbusters could be done.

Haydenbusters it is. :D

I voted fanstastic. I love em. Love the cards love everythign about them except the price. But I will live it that since I wont buy the DVD's.

chewbacca71
09-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Voted fantastic also.

Have to agree with everyone about the old cards. Man does that bring back memories..... ah the good ol days.

Agree with others hoping it is only 12. :)

Kyle Katarn
09-21-2004, 11:11 AM
I voted fantastic,those figures are the best thing released till now, I love the card style. I hope Hasbro releases more stuff with this quality.

Lazer Brain
09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
You Needed A Vote "great Figure,bad Price" The Figures Are Great But The Price Still Hurts...
Later

El Chuxter
09-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm with Lazer Brain. The figures look really nice, though I've not opened mine yet. However, $10 for a fairly basic figure is a bit of a stretch for those of us who are openers.

Ji'dai
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Fantastic. Overall I'm pleased with them, except for the price tag. I like the plastic protector, but I'm not sure it's worth the additional expense. I've noticed some creased cards on figures that are case fresh, so the plastic protector only works after the carded figure was intially packed in it.

I really wish the cardbacks had been repro vintage too, that would've been sweet. Hasbro could have done this and covered it with a faux paper cardback that has all the legal caveats and warnings.

Bacta Beast
09-21-2004, 11:27 PM
C-3PO is unforgiveable! :mad: Not deserving of the line! Ben was also a big let down! :bored: The the angled elbow cuts on Liea, Vader, and Lando are also an insult to what we originally thought this line would be. :dis: Han & Luke are great! But c'mon, $10 and they can't even throw in stands! God I wish a better company would get this license. Maybe Toy-Biz, but they'd have to many chase figures. :(

plasticfetish
09-22-2004, 12:16 AM
No vote for me... yet.

I've only found the first four, and I've only opened Han and Obi-Wan. They're good figures, but it hurts having to open them at $10 just to find out for sure.

Rocketboy
09-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Of the ones I've seen (Han, Leia, Ben, Luke, Vader, and Yoda), only Han and Vader appear to be the only good ones. The rest look like crap, IMO, and they have all pegwarmed since day 1.
$10 is far too much for a plastic case and a reprint card, which both would be useless to me, since I open the few figures I buy anymore.
Hopefully, they re-release these figures somewhere down the line on a regular card for a decent price.

JediTricks
09-22-2004, 01:47 PM
You Needed A Vote "great Figure,bad Price" The Figures Are Great But The Price Still Hurts...
Later
If I had put that, I have a feeling it would have gotten all the votes. It's how I feel, although "great" is a bit stronger than my opinion for the line overall, but the price issue IS part of the line itself so I figured if anybody had a big enough issue there, they'd take their vote down 1 notch. I was hovering between "Good" and "Ok" because 1/4 of the line has been stinkers in one way or another (3PO, Obi-Wan, Lando, R2, and Yoda all have some drawbacks, which is almost half the line) but the price issue pushed it to OK territory for me, I don't care for the packaging as a worthy extra item myself.

Bacta Beast, I think the angled elbows on Leia work because you can flop her arms 180 at the shoulder and the elbows look good straightened out - none of the other diagonal-cut elbows in this line do that though as far as I know, so Leia is special that way. And 3PO is a disaster, no 2 ways about it.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Good, but not great. The quality of the figures is decent, but the likenesses are still iffy. han is clearly the best, and Yoda and C-3PO tie for the worst. The soft goods are not any better than usual (I've never liked soft goods at this scale), the price is high and the star case is unneccesary--it makes this a manufactured collectible, vs a toy you are supposed to play with, justifying, for Hasbro, charging twice the price for a niceley articulated action figure with virtually no accessories. I've also not even found all the figures from Empire, let alone seeing any for Jedi.

Even seeing the vintage style cards did not set my nostalgic heart aflutter, especially when you consider that back in 1978 you could buy four figures for 10 bucks.

I think a lot of my antipathy to this line is that we've been seeing versions of these characters recarded again and again for the last year in a half. I'd be more excited to see some new faces among the SW characters on the pegs.

Hellboy
09-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I went with good but not great as well. On the plus side the package design is truly great and the emphasis placed on articulation was long overdue. The only bad things I can say are the price point and not all of the figures really live up to the hype. The soft goods really didn't look right either. Grading the line it would stack up like this for me.

A+ Figures: Stormtrooper, Vader, Boba Fett, Chewbacca and Han Solo.

B Figures: Yoda and R2-D2

C Figures: Leia, Ben, Luke, C-3PO and Lando

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-26-2004, 02:01 PM
The VOTC line is a nice little throwback to the Kenner classic line of figures that many of us had no chance to collect because of age. The figures are slow to arrive where I live (so far only Han, Leia, Luke and Obi-Wan are the only ones I have seen), but I plan on getting all or most of them. The $10 price tag is a little bit much, considering you are getting a regular figure for a deluxe price, but the good news is that all or most of the figures will probably pegwarm at that price, and getting them shouldn't be too hard a task.