PDA

View Full Version : Video Problems?

The 'Xir
09-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Anyone experiencing video problems with their new DVD sets? I got the Widescreen and have only watched ANH so far! What I've noticed is:

After The Falcon take off from Mos Eisley and is pursued by the Star Destroyers I have a flicker in the scene after Han says, "besides I know a few manuuvers we'll lose 'em" It jumps almost like when back in the day Film used to get caught in the projector and the picture would flutter!

Also, there is a scene with Tarkin on the Death Star, I think it's the one when he asks Vader, "Are they away?", after he says, "I'm taking an aweful risk Vader, this had better work!", there is a pause in the film before it shows our heros comming out of hyperspace to Yavin 4. This is like the EpII DVD in that scene when Jango comes out of Hyperspace and flys into the Asteroid field, then there's a pause in the dvd, and then we see Ben come out of Hyperspace.

Anyone else have these problems with their ANH DVD? Are there others I might have missed?

scruffziller
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Yep Xir I have noticed both of those instances. The coding must be off a little.
Some DVDs that I have pause like that in the DVD player but not in the DVD-ROM drive on the computer. Progressive scan should help with that but you need to have the proper television to recieve the channeling of the progressive scan signal.

El Chuxter
09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
The pause is likely a layer switch, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You mentioned AOTC did the same thing, so it's probably just your DVD player pausing when it switches layers. Mine does the same thing, but I wouldn't suggest getting a new one unless it really hampers your enjoyment of the movie.

The 'Xir
09-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I just got done watching ESB, and I noticed another glitch, when the Falcon is in Stomach of the Asteroid Creature. When Leia is by herself and notices the Mynock fly by just before she screams there is another one of those "flutters" or layer switches as you call 'em. I thought I remember seeing another one, but I can't remember where! Just about to pop in RotJ hope things go a little more smoothly! :nerv:

Rocketboy
09-22-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm having a different sort of video problem, although it may only be my DVD player.
The bonus disc keeps freezing for a few seconds during the Episode 3 feature (and the making of the Episode 3 game).
And it gets really bad just as they start showing Vader from Episode 3. Frustrating.

jonthejedi
09-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Anyone else notice the visible matt lines during the fight with the TIE fighters in ANH. These weren't even there on the 1997 SE laserdics.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2004, 10:56 AM
I didn't have any video problems with my DVDs. I DO have a progressive scan player, so...

Slicker
09-22-2004, 01:16 PM
The one problem I had with ANH was that around alot of the effects there was either a blue or green aura coming from them most notably when the Death Star explodes it has bright blue on the outskirts of the explosion that I can plainly tell aren't supposed to be their. I watched it on my laptop if that has anything to do with it.