PDA

View Full Version : Trailers and TV Spots - unused footage

tagmac
09-22-2004, 12:54 AM
What a treat these were. I never realized how much unused footage appeared in the trailers back then. Heck, some of them (particularly in Empire) I think would have been better than what was actually used (Probot closeup, Han/Leia's reaction when meeting Vader). I hope that when Lucas eventually re-releases the trilogy again, we get a ton of deleted scenes and alternate footage. Personally, I don't see why they were left off here, unless it's to give us a good reason to want to re-purchase the "Ultimate Edition" DVD's in a few years.

JON9000
09-22-2004, 01:00 AM
unless it's to give us a good reason to want to re-purchase the "Ultimate Edition" DVD's in a few years.
Exactamundo. Marketing gone wild.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I was amazed at how completely dire the trailers were. They were so quaint and "unfinished" looking. It's amazing that the original "Star Wars" trailers got ANYONE into the theatres. I really enjoyed them, but it does confirm Lucas's "made for children" take on the saga. It seems marketed to that audience... and I never realised that until last night.

Slicker
09-22-2004, 01:22 PM
I liked how in the Empire trailer you could see Threepio rip the sticker off of the Wampa door and in the Jedi one you could a quick glimpse of the sandstorm scene. The still gallery was also a great wealth of unrealesed stuff.

El Chuxter
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
I was amazed at how completely dire the trailers were. They were so quaint and "unfinished" looking. It's amazing that the original "Star Wars" trailers got ANYONE into the theatres. I really enjoyed them, but it does confirm Lucas's "made for children" take on the saga. It seems marketed to that audience... and I never realised that until last night.

Exactly! They were horrible! The only really good trailer was the 1997 "For an entire generation, people have watched Star Wars the only way that was possible" SE trailer. (Regardless of what you think of the SE, that was a very well-done trailer.) The Ralph McQuarrie concept trailer for ESB was pretty cool, but not as well-done as it could've been. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see these based solely on the trailers.

Like for ROTJ, why not mention the fact that, after hearing about them for 6 years, viewers would finally get to see Jabba and Palpy? Or show the truly classic bit that ended the (not included) 1997 ROTJ trailer: "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

I just want to know who the "Landall Calrizzian" mentioned in the ESB teaser is. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2004, 06:52 PM
I really enjoyed the trailers. I think the ghost of Darth Vader's helmet at the end of EVERY FREAKIN' ESB TRAILER was a bit much. It was cool, the first million times.

Seeing the SE Jabba on the 1997 trailer was almost as weird as seeing some of the unused footage on the old ones! I was amazed at how bad he looked.

The teasers for all three each had some special stuff - for SW, there was the cheez of it all, as well as the colorless lightsabers; for ESB, the McQuarrie painting montage was really neat; and seeing "Revenge of the Jedi", was great, as was Luke's blue saber.

I also liked how the commercial for Luke and Leia's romance was called "Forbidden Love." :D

2-1B
09-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey, was that a more lurid, sexual kiss in the ESB trailer or am I imagining things ?

Seriously, I thought I saw a kiss between Luke and Leia which looked more adult.

:confused:

I'll check again.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Hey, was that a more lurid, sexual kiss in the ESB trailer or am I imagining things ?

Seriously, I thought I saw a kiss between Luke and Leia which looked more adult.

I'll check again.
Yeah, I remember that make-out scene as well. Very creepy, thankfully that version wasn't used in the film.

Kidhuman
09-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I was amazed at how completely dire the trailers were. They were so quaint and "unfinished" looking. It's amazing that the original "Star Wars" trailers got ANYONE into the theatres.

For 1976, it was top of the line. Thats what got them into theatres.

Bosskman
09-24-2004, 05:42 AM
I thought it wierd that they called it the "saga" back then. Most people nowadays think it was a term invented after the prequels.

Yeah, 3-PO and thw Wampa sticker was cool to see.

Slicker
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
If you really watch the movies they're still technologically ahead of there time. You hardly see as much action as you see in ROTJ in 99% of the so called action movies. The blue screening looks, dare I say, better than any of the space battle in TPM. I know that they have been cleaned up considerably from the original theatrical releases but Lucas was years ahead of his time and he really is a visionary.

JEDIpartner
09-24-2004, 01:28 PM
It was also interesting that they kept that "segmented" convention throughout the entire ESB campaign. I loved the McQuarrie trailer the best. That was kinda interesting. I remember seeing some of those paintings in Starlog magazine in the summer of 1979. VERY cool.

As far as Lando's name was mispronounced, I heard the voiceover talent call him "Landau" (as in Martin Landau) "Calrizzian"... :lol:

JediTricks
09-24-2004, 11:05 PM

I'll check again.
Yes, there was an extended makeout scene shot but unused that occurred after Luke had the mask removed (another scene that went unused) but before 3PO & the rest of the gang came in.

2-1B
09-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks JT. Next time you see kidhuman, tell him to :beard: you.

JP, I heard it pronounced as "Landau" as well. :D

Kidhuman
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks JT. Next time you see kidhuman, tell him to :beard: you.

:beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: :beard: to JT

JediTricks
09-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Woo, I get props! :D er, I mean :beard:

Jedi Teacher
10-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Does anyone happen to know who did the voiceovers/narration for these trailers? One of them (I think from ESB) sounded vaguely like Harrison Ford, and it got me wondering. Then again, I could just be going crazy . . . :crazed: